Quantcast
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I typically don’t complain about officials, but 14 calls in the first half, many very different from what you normally see, and a few impactful and strange calls that resulted in huge momentum shifts, and one waved off call on a play both radio and NHSF Network announcers dispute (as well as every one in the stands), tainted this game. 
One announcer said it best, “I’ve never seen this much laundry at a football game”.

Last point on the officiating, it was as if every official wanted to justify their being there. In other words, they wanted to throw a flag that said “I am the boss of this game”.  They changed the game and the outcome. I don’t believe it should ever be this way. 
 

in spite of the rant, both teams of courageous young men put it all out there. Both teams deserved to there. Both coaching staffs brought their “A” game. While I think the outcome could have been different, the players on the field deserve recognition for great seasons, as well as complements for excellent sportsmanship and standing up to adversity with grace and character. Well done young men, sorry the old guys got in the way!  Good luck Edgewater and to Niceville, thank you for representing your school and community like the champions you are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of the calls were kinda fishy, to be honest with you a big reason Niceville was moving on that field was because of em. But like you said,

1 hour ago, 1407Boggy said:

Both teams of courageous young men put it all out there. Both teams deserved to there.

Now we're heading up against what looks like a state bound arm wood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking nothing away from the teams, and though a lot of minor calls were favorable to  Niceville, in my opinion the most significant game shifting and controversial calls favored Edgewater. In all we lost 14 points and you gained 14 as the result of four calls.  
In fairness, I don’t think the officials favored either team. I do think they were overzealous and made circumspect calls that impacted the score. 
I wish Edgewater all the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 1407Boggy said:

I typically don’t complain about officials, but 14 calls in the first half, many very different from what you normally see, and a few impactful and strange calls that resulted in huge momentum shifts, and one waved off call on a play both radio and NHSF Network announcers dispute (as well as every one in the stands), tainted this game. 
One announcer said it best, “I’ve never seen this much laundry at a football game”.

Last point on the officiating, it was as if every official wanted to justify their being there. In other words, they wanted to throw a flag that said “I am the boss of this game”.  They changed the game and the outcome. I don’t believe it should ever be this way. 
 

in spite of the rant, both teams of courageous young men put it all out there. Both teams deserved to there. Both coaching staffs brought their “A” game. While I think the outcome could have been different, the players on the field deserve recognition for great seasons, as well as complements for excellent sportsmanship and standing up to adversity with grace and character. Well done young men, sorry the old guys got in the way!  Good luck Edgewater and to Niceville, thank you for representing your school and community like the champions you are!

1407Boggy, could you give examples of what fouls were strange, impactful, and different from what you would normally see? Also, I would not put much stock into what either radio or NFSF Network announcers have to say regarding anything related to the rules. How specifically was the outcome of the game changed and tainted in your view?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 1407Boggy said:

Taking nothing away from the teams, and though a lot of minor calls were favorable to  Niceville, in my opinion the most significant game shifting and controversial calls favored Edgewater. In all we lost 14 points and you gained 14 as the result of four calls.  
In fairness, I don’t think the officials favored either team. I do think they were overzealous and made circumspect calls that impacted the score. 
I wish Edgewater all the best. 

1407Boggy, which penalties called did you think were the most significant game shifting and controversial calls that favored Edgewater? Which four penalties called caused Niceville to lose 14 points and Edgewater to gain 14 points in your view?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Legion37 said:

I was presently surprised by the lack of flags in the Lakeland-Armwood game. Usually the east Hillsborough crews suck! In this case they didn't really effect the game. Armwood's defense did!

The crew wouldn’t have been from Hillsborough in the playoffs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The refereeing crew in the Niceville Edgewater game were just bad.  Not favoring either team just bad.  Refs, like children, should be seen and not heard.  They should not impact the game.  The most blatant were the pass interference flag that got picked up and the penalty on the punt with no flag and no sign.  It was a blatant pass interference.  If they threw the flag something happened so why did it get picked up.  I have no clue what happened on the punt, they just marked off 15 yards against Niceville with no explanation which then lead to an Edgewater score after they had been stopped. I think the biggest impact was the frustration it caused the players.  Good luck to Edgewater, and I mean that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

1407Boggy, could you give examples of what fouls were strange, impactful, and different from what you would normally see? Also, I would not put much stock into what either radio or NFSF Network announcers have to say regarding anything related to the rules. How specifically was the outcome of the game changed and tainted in your view?

This one is somewhat iffy, ref called it a good catch while infront of the play, talks with the other ref and then calls it incomplete. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked like a catch to me.  But, hard to argue  with the mechanics of the refs.   The back judge apparently saw the ball "bounce up" and didn't realize the ball was bouncing up off the receiver's hands.   So he came in hard and emphatic with the incomplete call.   Very quick discussion between the two officials.  Generally, when the two officials confer, if one of them believes he has seen something that determines how the call should be made, the other official has little choice but to defer.  In this case, the back judge no doubt said he saw the ball hit the ground.  What else can the other official say?  In the end, they just missed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Roadkillav8r said:

The refereeing crew in the Niceville Edgewater game were just bad.  Not favoring either team just bad.  Refs, like children, should be seen and not heard.  They should not impact the game.  The most blatant were the pass interference flag that got picked up and the penalty on the punt with no flag and no sign.  It was a blatant pass interference.  If they threw the flag something happened so why did it get picked up.  I have no clue what happened on the punt, they just marked off 15 yards against Niceville with no explanation which then lead to an Edgewater score after they had been stopped. I think the biggest impact was the frustration it caused the players.  Good luck to Edgewater, and I mean that.

Roadkillav8r, the proper mechanic when there is any question about whether a penalty occurred was for the official to throw a flag, and then discuss the circumstance, that is why sometimes a flag is thrown and then picked up, and no penalty occurs. Are you saying that there was no flag or explanation on a punt that yardage was marked off against Niceville?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EagleEye said:

This one is somewhat iffy, ref called it a good catch while infront of the play, talks with the other ref and then calls it incomplete. 

 

EagleEye, the official in the middle of the field, ( the back judge) is going to have a better view than the official on the sideline, (linesman, field judge) obviously the back judge has a clear unobstructed view of the ball hitting the ground, while the linesman, and field judge are obstructed by the player attempting  a catch. Also, when in doubt, and when any part of the ball hits the ground, the pass is incomplete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Multiple personal foul penalties ..multiple false starts ..multiple holding penalties .. offense & defense ..illegal procedure penalties smh 

There is no such foul as illegal procedure, if the foul was a live ball foul it is either illegal motion, illegal shift, or illegal formation. If the foul was a dead ball foul, it would be either false start or encrochment. False starts and personal fouls are necessary fouls that have to be penalties. Holding is a judgment call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Perspective said:

Looked like a catch to me.  But, hard to argue  with the mechanics of the refs.   The back judge apparently saw the ball "bounce up" and didn't realize the ball was bouncing up off the receiver's hands.   So he came in hard and emphatic with the incomplete call.   Very quick discussion between the two officials.  Generally, when the two officials confer, if one of them believes he has seen something that determines how the call should be made, the other official has little choice but to defer.  In this case, the back judge no doubt said he saw the ball hit the ground.  What else can the other official say?  In the end, they just missed it. 

What I don't understand is why he just gave it up and called it incomplete when he was the one who clearly saw the play go down, and it was obvious the back field judge couldn't see what he saw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EagleEye said:

What I don't understand is why he just gave it up and called it incomplete when he was the one who clearly saw the play go down, and it was obvious the back field judge couldn't see what he saw.

EagleEye, it is clear from the officials stop-clock signal that he was a little unsure, and was looking for help from the back judge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...