District championship discussion/congrats/upsets thread

PinellasFB

Honestly I was surprised Vero won the district this year, upset by Martin County after loosing the starting QB and then beating a tough Treasure Coast team while playing with the 3rd string QB due to the 2nd string getting knocked out as well. I’d honestly call it an upset Vero won the game and the district after overcoming the QB hurdle. I didn’t see it happening.

4 hours ago, Trelle said:

Honestly I was surprised Vero won the district this year, upset by Martin County after loosing the starting QB and then beating a tough Treasure Coast team while playing with the 3rd string QB due to the 2nd string getting knocked out as well. I’d honestly call it an upset Vero won the game and the district after overcoming the QB hurdle. I didn’t see it happening.

It wasn't an upset. It was a smashmouth Vero defense that won that game. If we had our starting QB we would have blown them out!

1 hour ago, roygod said:

It wasn't an upset. It was a smashmouth Vero defense that won that game. If we had our starting QB we would have blown them out!

STA didn't blow them out so I seriously doubt Vero would 

If that's the case you all should beat everyone in 4S playoffs by 21 points 

9 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

STA didn't blow them out so I seriously doubt Vero would 

If that's the case you all should beat everyone in 4S playoffs by 21 points 

The only team to score 6 touchdowns on Treasure Coast was Seminole high. They have a solid defense. I watched the game and VB would not have blown them out even if they had their starting QB. Maybe they win by STA's margin at most. 

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

The only team to score 6 touchdowns on Treasure Coast was Seminole high. They have a solid defense. I watched the game and VB would not have blown them out even if they had their starting QB. Maybe they win by STA's margin at most. 

I don't think Vero Beach realizes how many great teams are out there because they don't put half the effort into facing top level competition that some teams including Treasure Coast do 

If Vero had to play Chaminade or STA they would be shell shocked from the sudden jump in competition from the Fort Peirce Westwood's of the world and probably get running clocked before they even realize how good their opponent is 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I don't think Vero Beach realizes how many great teams are out there because they don't put half the effort into facing top level competition that some teams including Treasure Coast do 

If Vero had to play Chaminade or STA they would be shell shocked from the sudden jump in competition from the Fort Peirce Westwood's of the world and probably get running clocked before they even realize how good their opponent is 

Vero Beach is usually very solid and this year is no exception. But most years their schedule is not especially strong. This is not totally their fault, as aside from Treasure Coast recently, it has been a while since their were top flight teams nearby. That and the fact VB likes to play at home due to economics pretty much assures that their regular season schedule will not have a lot of top flight teams on it.  

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Vero Beach is usually very solid and this year is no exception. But most years their schedule is not especially strong. This is not totally their fault, as aside from Treasure Coast recently, it has been a while since their were top flight teams nearby. That and the fact VB likes to play at home due to economics pretty much assures that their regular season schedule will not have a lot of top flight teams on it.  

Yeah they are basically Lakeland but with less state titles 

Though Treasure Coast has more respect on a state level because they are more willing to take on state powers home or away, I can't name the last time Vero Beach TRAVELED to Broward or Dade for a regular season game 

26 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah they are basically Lakeland but with less state titles 

Though Treasure Coast has more respect on a state level because they are more willing to take on state powers home or away, I can't name the last time Vero Beach TRAVELED to Broward or Dade for a regular season game 

Lakeland but with a lot less state titles. VB would need a guaranteed home and home to travel to Broward and Dade, and would probably want to host the first game. 

I’m not going to defend Veros scheduling but at the same time TC is a loss to Chaminade Madonna away from not making playoffs…so playing a tough schedule and not getting in playoffs is worse, in my opinion, then playing a moderate schedule and getting in! Also Vero did beat Chaminade a couple yrs ago 21-0! And they did schedule Venice but the hurricanes those years made that impossible 

1 hour ago, Jimmyb80 said:

I’m not going to defend Veros scheduling but at the same time TC is a loss to Chaminade Madonna away from not making playoffs…so playing a tough schedule and not getting in playoffs is worse, in my opinion, then playing a moderate schedule and getting in! Also Vero did beat Chaminade a couple yrs ago 21-0! And they did schedule Venice but the hurricanes those years made that impossible 

Assuming Treasure Coast loses to CM, they would be one of the best 3-6 teams you could possibly find in the country.  They would do some serious damage to a high seed in the playoffs too.  A lot of teams will be glad if they dont make it.  Maxpreps ranking has them ranked appropriately at #7 in 4S while the FHSAA ranking has them #18 in 4S *before this loss to VB* so they may drop even further.  It looks like TC has a chance to remain inside the top 8 of their 4S region 3 (currently #5) but risk falling out if they lose to CM.  J

2 hours ago, Jimmyb80 said:

Yeah and when does Vero plan to return that trip to Chaminade?

37 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

Assuming Treasure Coast loses to CM, they would be one of the best 3-6 teams you could possibly find in the country.  They would do some serious damage to a high seed in the playoffs too.  A lot of teams will be glad if they dont make it.  Maxpreps ranking has them ranked appropriately at #7 in 4S while the FHSAA ranking has them #18 in 4S *before this loss to VB* so they may drop even further.  It looks like TC has a chance to remain inside the top 8 of their 4S region 3 (currently #5) but risk falling out if they lose to CM.  J

Absolutely

In fact they dominated a good Martin County team that beat Vero Beach and nearly won the district title over them 

If they had gotten into the playoffs every team in the region would have been potentially facing the most dangerous 8 seed in the state of Florida

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Absolutely

In fact they dominated a good Martin County team that beat Vero Beach and nearly won the district title over them 

If they had gotten into the playoffs every team in the region would have been potentially facing the most dangerous 8 seed in the state of Florida

Pump the brakes a minute…Vero beat TC with there 3 string QB and Vero is not a top 10 team in 4s… and I watch them play ALOT! So don’t try to make TC out to be world beaters! 

Pump the brakes a minute…Vero beat TC with there 3 string QB and Vero is not a top 10 team in 4s… and I watch them play ALOT! So don’t try to make TC out to be world beaters! 

Okay go schedule STA and stay within 14 points oh wait Vero only schedules teams from Broward and Dade who will only travel because Vero don't want to play a road game in SFL

Also they did beat Martin County by 21 points, how did Vero do in that game?

They might not be world beaters, but counting Vero Beach out of the 4S championship picture completely is stupid and should be treated as such. They just defeated a TC team that many consider to be a top 10 team in 4S and a top 25 team in the state. Outside of a bad game against Martin County, they are undefeated and when Aronson returns from injury, they will be a very tough team to beat in 4S. Vero's defense alone will keep them in any game against Lakeland, Osceola, Venice, TC, etc. Don't give up hope! 

21 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Okay go schedule STA and stay within 14 points oh wait Vero only schedules teams from Broward and Dade who will only travel because Vero don't want to play a road game in SFL

Also they did beat Martin County by 21 points, how did Vero do in that game?

I feel that people underestimated Martin when they played Vero, not realizing how good they actually were and thinking it would be "easy" to beat them. In my opinion, the close loss to Centennial hurt them more than the 28-7 decision to Treasure Coast because TC is supposed to be sort of the "cream of the crop" of their area, on top of playing the toughest schedule in the state. Martin should have beaten Centennial.

3 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I feel that people underestimated Martin when they played Vero, not realizing how good they actually were and thinking it would be "easy" to beat them. In my opinion, the close loss to Centennial hurt them more than the 28-7 decision to Treasure Coast because TC is supposed to be sort of the "cream of the crop" of their area, on top of playing the toughest schedule in the state. Martin should have beaten Centennial.

I think Martin County is very underrated but I get tired of seeing people trying to downplay Treasure Coast for their record when they just say "well they have lost 5 games they aren't that good" but think a team having more wins against subpar competition shows how great they are 

Vero wouldn't have done any better with the slate Treasure Coast has and as for the QB injury, last year Columbia by the time they played Madison had a WR playing at QB and even he got injured but nobody said "well Columbia is having injuries hurting them" they said "see Columbia is a garbage team and garbage program" but I guess only certain schools get a free pass for injuries 

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I think Martin County is very underrated but I get tired of seeing people trying to downplay Treasure Coast for their record when they just say "well they have lost 5 games they aren't that good" but think a team having more wins against subpar competition shows how great they are 

Vero wouldn't have done any better with the slate Treasure Coast has and as for the QB injury, last year Columbia by the time they played Madison had a WR playing at QB and even he got injured but nobody said "well Columbia is having injuries hurting them" they said "see Columbia is a garbage team and garbage program" but I guess only certain schools get a free pass for injuries 

Nobody wants to see Treasure Coast in the playoffs. If Martin manages to make it in, I could see them being a potential dark horse as well. I definitely agree with your point that a record alone doesn't tell the whole story. Subpar competition doesn't prove much. Columbia has turned their season around in a big way after frustrating losses to TC and UC. Will see how they do in 3S. I expect them to get at least to regionals and perhaps, beyond.

53 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

This time of year most teams have key injuries including ours, especially if you do schedule against several very physical teams.  My guess is TC probably had some key people missing also and though not a QB, it may have been just as impactful.  They are basically a running team, that wants to play smashmouth football and control the clock.  The backs they utilize are not dangerous breakaway threats like they had last year, so the OL is their bread and butter.  If they were missing a couple of key OL against Vero it would have the same effect in their scheme.  

2 hours ago, Jimmyb80 said:

According to the current FHSAA rankings (may change tomorrow), Vero sits in 4th place behind Bartram Trail, Lakeland and Venice.   Whether you agree with this opinion or not (I don't) is irrelevant because it is the ONLY opinion that matters.