SEMINOLE 31 -OHS KOWBOYS 6

Ray Icaza

Was unable to attend last night due to personal situation with family but tried to watch later on NFHS.  As usual this telecast is hit and miss with last night being a miss as the broadcast was visible only on 1 side of the 50 yard line.  From what I was able to see we continue to struggle sustaining any offense putting too much on our defense.  Their first score came from a mishandled snap on a punt with us backed up against our endzone with them recovering the fumble in the endzone.  QB play continues to be a work in progress, but against top tier teams it is tough sledding for a sophomore with no varsity experience.  With them not being much of a factor, it makes it easier for the opponents to defend the run game especially without Taevion and now also Elijah Hickson. RB Jeff Sinophant has run hard and we got a huge chunk play TD run from Zion Matthews another sophomore RB that sits probably 4th on the depth chart.  On the defensive side having lost Elijah Melendez, the only 4* recruit on that side of the ball just another element we will have to overcome.  Seems like some of the players were in position to make tackles but failed to get their RB to the ground, instead having them pick up YAC.  Sad to lose him for the season as he had worked extremely hard to live up to the hype of being recruited by the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, FSU, So. Cal and the list goes on.  He is an example of getting this attention simply from potential, but this season as a full time LB he shined against Apopka as well as TC.  In the TC game, he had 4 solo and 7 total tackles leaving the game early in the second half.  Sitting a 0-2 is not ideal but also not a reason to panic as long as we continue to get better each game as these youngsters we are playing are certainly getting an education.  Seminole is the #1 ranked team in the entire CFL area and will be a factor in 4M.  We gotta stay positive and get prepared for the next challenge as that is the mindset I am sure is being instilled by all our coaches.  GO KOWBOYS.

34 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Was unable to attend last night due to personal situation with family but tried to watch later on NFHS.  As usual this telecast is hit and miss with last night being a miss as the broadcast was visible only on 1 side of the 50 yard line.  From what I was able to see we continue to struggle sustaining any offense putting too much on our defense.  Their first score came from a mishandled snap on a punt with us backed up against our endzone with them recovering the fumble in the endzone.  QB play continues to be a work in progress, but against top tier teams it is tough sledding for a sophomore with no varsity experience.  With them not being much of a factor, it makes it easier for the opponents to defend the run game especially without Taevion and now also Elijah Hickson. RB Jeff Sinophant has run hard and we got a huge chunk play TD run from Zion Matthews another sophomore RB that sits probably 4th on the depth chart.  On the defensive side having lost Elijah Melendez, the only 4* recruit on that side of the ball just another element we will have to overcome.  Seems like some of the players were in position to make tackles but failed to get their RB to the ground, instead having them pick up YAC.  Sad to lose him for the season as he had worked extremely hard to live up to the hype of being recruited by the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, FSU, So. Cal and the list goes on.  He is an example of getting this attention simply from potential, but this season as a full time LB he shined against Apopka as well as TC.  In the TC game, he had 4 solo and 7 total tackles leaving the game early in the second half.  Sitting a 0-2 is not ideal but also not a reason to panic as long as we continue to get better each game as these youngsters we are playing are certainly getting an education.  Seminole is the #1 ranked team in the entire CFL area and will be a factor in 4M.  We gotta stay positive and get prepared for the next challenge as that is the mindset I am sure is being instilled by all our coaches.  GO KOWBOYS.

On a side note, I did get to attend the first UCF home game of the season to watch our DT John Walker as he was #2 on the depth chart.  As a true freshman he got about a third of the snaps throughout the game, recorded 2 tackles and had a couple of QB pressures.  Certainly looked comfortable and making an impact already. 

Huge disappointment not getting to watch the Florida vs Utes game (not much missed) due to being a Spectrum customer as they are in a food fight with Disney over what they describe as outrageous price increases in their contract dispute.  I supposed they need to find ways to increase revenue as they are in a financial bloodbath because of their fight with the state.  Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out as of the 18.4 million Spectrum customers, about a quarter of us watch the group of channels in dispute. 

17 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Was unable to attend last night due to personal situation with family but tried to watch later on NFHS.  As usual this telecast is hit and miss with last night being a miss as the broadcast was visible only on 1 side of the 50 yard line.  

I tried to watch a couple games on NFHS last night and both were literally unwatchable as one had something seemingly covering half the lense and the other game was too blurry to make out what was going on.  I don't expect professional level production but come on, at least be able to see the games that are on.  

19 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

I tried to watch a couple games on NFHS last night and both were literally unwatchable as one had something seemingly covering half the lense and the other game was too blurry to make out what was going on.  I don't expect professional level production but come on, at least be able to see the games that are on.  

You should offer a serviceable product when you are charging for it.

36 minutes ago, Vero Indian said:

Osceola has lost all their games so far...

Edgewater 24-7 L

Apopka 16-15 L

Treasure Coast 22-8 L

Seminole 31-6 L

I believe Osceola will rebound at some point and it ain't their fault either, they have the toughest Central Florida schedule 

We obviously would have liked to win the Edgewater game, but our understanding was 1st quarter JV vs JV, yet they had many of their varsity players on the field including possibly their best player Cai Bates.  That got them out to a 10-0 lead and early in the second quarter when our varsity did come out, our WR playing QB mishandled the exchange with one of our sophomore RB's on a reverse where they recovered in the red zone.  That got them another quick score for a 17-0 lead.  Taevion got things going in the 3rd quarter and got a score back, before they sat him the entire 4th quarter to give the other young backs touches.  Already have given my thoughts on the other 3 games.  Long way to go with the #2 most difficult schedule in 4S statewide according to Josh.  Jones up next. 

Is Osceola breaking in a new OC? Obviously, their two top playmakers (Jakeem Jackson and Swint) from last season are not playing. They weren't world-beaters on offense as it was. But, if they get Swint back, they may break a big play or two they wouldn't otherwise get, which might be enough to let their defense get them some wins. They're probably looking at a 0-4 start. But, they should finish strong and be district champs. I don't see them going far in the playoffs, but I think whoever knocks them out will have to win a dogfight, assuming no more major injuries. 

37 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

We obviously would have liked to win the Edgewater game, but our understanding was 1st quarter JV vs JV, yet they had many of their varsity players on the field including possibly their best player Cai Bates.  That got them out to a 10-0 lead and early in the second quarter when our varsity did come out, our WR playing QB mishandled the exchange with one of our sophomore RB's on a reverse where they recovered in the red zone.  That got them another quick score for a 17-0 lead.  Taevion got things going in the 3rd quarter and got a score back, before they sat him the entire 4th quarter to give the other young backs touches.  Already have given my thoughts on the other 3 games.  Long way to go with the #2 most difficult schedule in 4S statewide according to Josh.  Jones up next. 

Yall will be district champions tho

39 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

Is Osceola breaking in a new OC? Obviously, their two top playmakers (Jakeem Jackson and Swint) from last season are not playing. They weren't world-beaters on offense as it was. But, if they get Swint back, they may break a big play or two they wouldn't otherwise get, which might be enough to let their defense get them some wins. They're probably looking at a 0-4 start. But, they should finish strong and be district champs. I don't see them going far in the playoffs, but I think whoever knocks them out will have to win a dogfight, assuming no more major injuries. 

Our two top offensive playmakers last year were Swint on the ground and TJ Massey thru the air (700 yards and 6 TD's).  Ja'Keem and Bo primarily were DB's, but we would use them in spots as WR with each having almost 300 yds. receiving with Ja'Keem scoring 2 TD's and Bo 4 TD's.  Don't know what qualifies as not being world beaters offensively but here is a side-by-side comparison between Lakeland vs OHS last year despite our more difficult schedule.  Naughts, 3100 rushing and 1500 passing....total 4600.  Kowboys, 2300 rushing and 2000 passing ... total 4300, so comparable.  In the semifinal we held you under 200 total yards whereas we had over 250 total despite being on the short end of the score due to unforced INT's. Lastly, these numbers included you guys having 1 extra game vs Venice where you ran over them and piled up the yardage.  So maybe we were both less than world-beaters??

20 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Our two top offensive playmakers last year were Swint on the ground and TJ Massey thru the air (700 yards and 6 TD's).  Ja'Keem and Bo primarily were DB's, but we would use them in spots as WR with each having almost 300 yds. receiving with Ja'Keem scoring 2 TD's and Bo 4 TD's.  Don't know what qualifies as not being world beaters offensively but here is a side-by-side comparison between Lakeland vs OHS last year despite our more difficult schedule.  Naughts, 3100 rushing and 1500 passing....total 4600.  Kowboys, 2300 rushing and 2000 passing ... total 4300, so comparable.  In the semifinal we held you under 200 total yards whereas we had over 250 total despite being on the short end of the score due to unforced INT's. Lastly, these numbers included you guys having 1 extra game vs Venice where you ran over them and piled up the yardage.  So maybe we were both less than world-beaters??

I brought up the Gator game on a different thread, but I was most disappointed because I did want to watch Ja'Keem as he was listed #2 on the depth chart behind Jason Marshall at RCB so knew he would get some playing time.  He did get in the game from what I am told and got one tackle. 

15 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

With the hyper aggressive running clock in Florida, and the very conservative Bill Castle making the calls, stats are not a reliable indicator. Lakeland had ten (10) running clock games, often reached after numerous defensive and special teams scores, where further stats are nearly impossible to accumulate. Osceola only had three running clock games. This means Osceola had many more plays than Lakeland. The running clock really distorts the stats, especially when one team has many more such games compared to another. For example, Norland beat Carol City last night 66-0, leading 52-0 at the half. Looks like Norland had 109 yards of offense. Why? Because the game was such a mismatch, with so many scores on defense and special teams, that the game was way out of hand and the clock running without Norland really having to mount drives.

Jackson was clearly the most dangerous WR for Osceola. They just tried to conserve him for defense as much as they could against easier competition. But, last I checked, they don't have Massey this year, either.

1 minute ago, Ray Icaza said:

I brought up the Gator game on a different thread, but I was most disappointed because I did want to watch Ja'Keem as he was listed #2 on the depth chart behind Jason Marshall at RCB so knew he would get some playing time.  He did get in the game from what I am told and got one tackle. 

I think he's the real deal. 

48 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

With the hyper aggressive running clock in Florida, and the very conservative Bill Castle making the calls, stats are not a reliable indicator. Lakeland had ten (10) running clock games, often reached after numerous defensive and special teams scores, where further stats are nearly impossible to accumulate. Osceola only had three running clock games. This means Osceola had many more plays than Lakeland. The running clock really distorts the stats, especially when one team has many more such games compared to another. For example, Norland beat Carol City last night 66-0, leading 52-0 at the half. Looks like Norland had 109 yards of offense. Why? Because the game was such a mismatch, with so many scores on defense and special teams, that the game was way out of hand and the clock running without Norland really having to mount drives.

Jackson was clearly the most dangerous WR for Osceola. They just tried to conserve him for defense as much as they could against easier competition. But, last I checked, they don't have Massey this year, either.

I can agree with the running clock as a counter argument to the SOS I pointed out; rack up yards quickly against a mediocre team though.   Which is exactly why I added the semifinal head to head at your place.  You are correct about Massey, but I feel both Reynolds and Jenkins are equally able at WR, just need our QB's to progress with every outing, so time will tell.  I think I understand why you think Ja'Keem was the most dangerous receiver based on what he did at Lakeland in the initial matchup.  Most of us think Bo was just as dangerous watching "ALL" the games and here are some numbers because as you rightfully point out, it is only an "OPINION".  Defensively Bo had 65 TKL's and 3 INT's, while JA had 50 TKL's and 5 INT's.  On that side of the ball, Bo (5'10"), was always assigned the opposing "STAR"; in your case the Williams kid at 6'5" and basically shut him down.  Most opponents stay away from his side of the field, as he was undoubtedly our best cover corner but ended up at Rutgers due to metrics.  Offensively, he had a few less balls thrown his way but averaged about 22 yds. per catch as opposed to JA's 18.  They both ran track with Bo at 10.7 in the 100 meters vs JA's 10.9.  Digest those numbers as you like. 

I went to the game, also spoke to some alumni that said they haven't seen a Osceola team play this bad since they started watching kowboy football after they graduated in the late 80s. that being said their defense held strong during the early rain when Seminole had to run the ball, but for anyone to claim Osceola has good DBs is a joke Seminole ran exact same play back to back at the end of the 2nd quarter first play hit the WR in the facemask with no db around and ran nearly same play and again no db around, but i digress. Osceola is now 0-2 on the year, down 3 running backs losing their second rusher from last year jefferey sinophat in the game at Seminole, from what vie heard he may also be out for the year, Osceola has zero ability to pass the ball effectively if they continue to play like this at best they could not win an out of district game this year. although Toho has a sneaky chance of beating Osceola, not a big chance but a chance none the less

3 hours ago, AllOsceolaCountyFB said:

I went to the game, also spoke to some alumni that said they haven't seen a Osceola team play this bad since they started watching kowboy football after they graduated in the late 80s. that being said their defense held strong during the early rain when Seminole had to run the ball, but for anyone to claim Osceola has good DBs is a joke Seminole ran exact same play back to back at the end of the 2nd quarter first play hit the WR in the facemask with no db around and ran nearly same play and again no db around, but i digress. Osceola is now 0-2 on the year, down 3 running backs losing their second rusher from last year jefferey sinophat in the game at Seminole, from what vie heard he may also be out for the year, Osceola has zero ability to pass the ball effectively if they continue to play like this at best they could not win an out of district game this year. although Toho has a sneaky chance of beating Osceola, not a big chance but a chance none the less

You are right about the injury bug that has hit our team on "BOTH" sides of the ball.  Not only is Swint, Sinophant and Hickson (#1, #2, #3) down but also injured is #4 Zion Matthews (10th grade); the entire RB group we planned to use   The good news is these players won't be lost for the season though maybe another couple of weeks.  However, I attended practice yesterday which was spirited, enthusiastic and physical which tells me the most important thing; they got no quit.  The QB play has never been a calling card so you can continue to bash them despite their youth and inexperience.  Lastly, it seems you continue to focus on our DB's compared to those of Poinciana and point out the lack of discipline on two back-to-back plays that did happen.  I tend to focus on the overall picture and Seminole, the #1 ranked team in "ALL" CFL with a vaunted passing attack threw for 152 yards against us with 2 TD's.  Nature Coast, who is nowhere in their league, threw for 172 yds and a TD against your studs.   But it's all good and you can keep hating. 

21 hours ago, LongtimeVero said:

I should be at the Titan/Seminole game Friday night, as both teams will play Vero this season! Should be a good game.

22 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

You are right about the injury bug that has hit our team on "BOTH" sides of the ball.  Not only is Swint, Sinophant and Hickson (#1, #2, #3) down but also injured is #4 Zion Matthews (10th grade); the entire RB group we planned to use   The good news is these players won't be lost for the season though maybe another couple of weeks.  However, I attended practice yesterday which was spirited, enthusiastic and physical which tells me the most important thing; they got no quit.  The QB play has never been a calling card so you can continue to bash them despite their youth and inexperience.  Lastly, it seems you continue to focus on our DB's compared to those of Poinciana and point out the lack of discipline on two back-to-back plays that did happen.  I tend to focus on the overall picture and Seminole, the #1 ranked team in "ALL" CFL with a vaunted passing attack threw for 152 yards against us with 2 TD's.  Nature Coast, who is nowhere in their league, threw for 172 yds and a TD against your studs.   But it's all good and you can keep hating. 

That man must be related to a Poinciana DB or something the way he brings it up in every other topic.

Nature Coast > Seminole LOL