Brawl ends Lakeland-Kathleen game, and possibly Lakeland's season

Longtime Observer

The matter of incentives is important here. If the reality is that a team with only one more game in a shitty season faces a hated rival who figures to have several games left, and they can bring in some thugs to start a brawl that decimates the other team, why wouldn't they do that? It's easy to sit on a couch and talk about "discipline", but it's a totally different matter when you're being charged and attacked. If the result of the brawl is one team loses some low level players for one meaningless game, while the other team loses players for an entire playoffs run, we're going to see A LOT more of this.

21 hours ago, badbird said:

A few kids threw punches, that should be mandatory 6 weeks.  Our best soccer player last year got 12 games for blowing a kiss to a player and they made him miss the entire soccer playoffs.  Lakeland and Kathleen have a brawl and they get 1 or 2 games.  HMMMMM looks like a certain school has some pull with the FHSAA and Lakeland won't have a tough game until round 3 and they magically get all their players back.  Super SUS

I have nothing against Lakeland and respect their program and will root for them to win it all.  I just hate the inconsistencies with the FHSAA.  No one knows the formula for rankings and then magically we are going to let all these players back for the important games but hammer other schools for the same thing.  

A couple of years ago I had a kid get jumped by a player, 5-6 of the opposing teams players ran on the field without helmets, from their sideline to help beat up our player. Guess who was the only player to receive a penalty. Ours, he got 6 weeks for fighting. The official who threw the flag has been banned from officiating at our school!  Well their school now! I even warned the white cap before this happened that the game was about to get out of control and he needed to do something about it. 

10 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

Part of the message ended up cut. I edited it to add the rest. 

Why should Lakeland's players have received a substantially longer suspension than Kathleen's?

If a kid plays another sport that suspension rolls over to the other sport or if he's an underclassmen and he doesn't play another sport it rolls over to the next season.  You hand down the correct suspension no matter if one can serve it or not.  I'm going to go a little extreme on this example but If I go rob someone with a gun with my 80 year old friend I don't get a lesser sentence because he's going to die before he serves all his time.  Lakeland got off with a light penalty.  Good luck in the playoffs.

12 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

What I speculate about or anticipate is something separate from what I think should happen. For reasons others have mentioned, I thought a 4 or 5 game suspension was probable. (A couple of players did get two games as it is). But, the points I made above are worth considering, and hadn't necessarily been considered when I started this thread. I don't see how the events of that night should mean a 1-game suspension for Kathleen players attacking/punching/fighting while Lakeland's players doing the same things (often in response to Kathleen's provocations) should get several more games of suspension.

For what it's worth, if any of the Kathleen athletes play other sports, under FHSAA rules, a suspension which extends beyond the football season would carry over to the next sport they play.  

Just out of curiosity, what would your solution be to a hypothetical scenario where players from two teams each get a five-game suspension, but one player's season ends after the second game while the other team's season continues?  It wouldn't be right to cut the other player's suspension short just because his team still has games left, would it?

11 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

The matter of incentives is important here. If the reality is that a team with only one more game in a shitty season faces a hated rival who figures to have several games left, and they can bring in some thugs to start a brawl that decimates the other team, why wouldn't they do that? It's easy to sit on a couch and talk about "discipline", but it's a totally different matter when you're being charged and attacked. If the result of the brawl is one team loses some low level players for one meaningless game, while the other team loses players for an entire playoffs run, we're going to see A LOT more of this.

I'm pretty sure that's been the rule for a long time.   Good coaches anticipate such things and take adequate precautions. 

This "jambun82" character seemed to be a more level-headed poster years ago.  Then he started posting more humorous stuff, and then starting going the direction of taking informal jabs at others which was fine.  But after a while, his overall tone went further south and became a little more on the annoying side.  Now here we are today, and he's basically relegated himself to the level of an outright troll.

I sort-of wanted to like the guy.  As we know, referees do a thankless job.  You're the most hated person on the field, paid dirt, but we need 'em.  Otherwise, there's no football, no games, nothing.  He was the one who would post his perspectives about being an official.  But the way he's been acting lately, I've basically had no choice but to seriously lose any respect for him.

5 hours ago, Manatee Magic said:

This "jambun82" character seemed to be a more level-headed poster years ago.  Then he started posting more humorous stuff, and then starting going the direction of taking informal jabs at others which was fine.  But after a while, his overall tone went further south and became a little more on the annoying side.  Now here we are today, and he's basically relegated himself to the level of an outright troll.

I sort-of wanted to like the guy.  As we know, referees do a thankless job.  You're the most hated person on the field, paid dirt, but we need 'em.  Otherwise, there's no football, no games, nothing.  He was the one who would post his perspectives about being an official.  But the way he's been acting lately, I've basically had no choice but to seriously lose any respect for him.

Yeah his posts have definitely changed over the years. Strange dude

On 11/15/2023 at 7:24 PM, Manatee Magic said:

Yeah, but Riverview thumped us in the regular season.  We're not there yet.

I would hardly call a 21-14 game, where your team had the ball with a chance to win with less than 5 minutes to go, a thumping!! It doesn't matter now. It's a new season. You're 1-0. Get revenge on Riverview and make it 2-0! GO HURRICANES! 

14 minutes ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

I would hardly call a 21-14 game, where your team had the ball with a chance to win with less than 5 minutes to go, a thumping!! It doesn't matter now. It's a new season. You're 1-0. Get revenge on Riverview and make it 2-0! GO HURRICANES! 

Riverview has quietly put together a decent season! You have to think Peacock has his eyes on some of their better underclassmen. He's got to be hoping to find the next Ryan Browne, Omari Hayes or Charles Lester!

Lakeland still had several players out suspended or hurt. They were without three starting OLs, and a DB/WR. But, a midseason acquisition from Sanford Seminole recorded two interceptions for the second straight week, and Lakeland won pretty easily. 'Naughts play Lake Minneola next, and I think more guys return, but I can't be sure.