Twenty-four minutes from one of the greatest upsets in history...

Longtime Observer

Berkeley Prep leads 14-7 at the half over Miami Norland. It is a very uncomfortable truth to many Dade county fans: Norland went unbeaten in Dade county and is the best team there this year. Norland beat Central...TWICE. And, these undefeated kings of Dade county might lose to a two-loss Berkeley Prep team. I hope folks appreciate the significance of this. Of course, in these sad, cynical times, the most likely result will not be respect for BP, but derision for Norland. Rather than crediting the Buccaneers, and perhaps being inspired by them, people will try to rewrite history and diminish Norland's team.

Berkeley now up 21-7 with a minute to play in the 3rd quarter.  Norland may very well run out of time.   They need to figure out how to score quickly and somehow stop Berkeley from grinding out another long, clock-killing drive. 

I know the game's not over yet, but hat's off to Darter for suggesting that Berkeley might pull the upset here. 

20 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Berkeley now up 21-7 with a minute to play in the 3rd quarter.  Norland may very well run out of time.   They need to figure out how to score quickly and somehow stop Berkeley from grinding out another long, clock-killing drive. 

I know the game's not over yet, but hat's off to Darter for suggesting that Berkeley might pull the upset here. 

21-14 Berkeley about to score again. This is a monumental upset. A 2-loss Hillsborough team about to beat a Dade team who went through a gauntlet. Venice, Central x2, Lakeland, Bolles,  and Columbus. Norland simply can not stop Berkeley’s run game. Did not expect this 

For anyone wondering, Berkeley's two losses came at the hands of state finalist, CCC (first game of the season; Berkeley was up but lost their star RB to the concussion protocol early in the second half and CCC pulled out the win) and a very good Calvary Christian team (a loss that Berkeley avenged in the playoffs).  Berkeley is a well-coached team, fundamentally sound and isn't afraid to go old-school, with grind-it-out drives that wear out the opposing defense and take a lot of time off the clock. 

As I type this, Norland just scored to make it a 28-20 game with less than 5 minutes to play.   Still a ball game.   Do I smell OT?  Or can Berkeley grind it out one more time and run out the clock?

Would not call this the one of the biggest upsets in HISTORY.  While I didn't know anything about Berkeley until this year, I have been saying Norland - while solid, is a bit over hyped. I know they notched some big wins over some big programs this season, but tbh they won against BTW, Central, and Columbus when all three teams had lost their starting QB. And I know beating Central twice was def something not to overlook - but I been hard on Central too ever since they played a great game against BG. 

Not saying I called this upset, but Norland is in no way the #11 team in the nation.

Congrats to Berkeley and great season Norland.

6 minutes ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

Would not call this the one of the biggest upsets in HISTORY.  While I didn't know anything about Berkeley until this year, I have been saying Norland - while solid, is a bit over hyped. I know they notched some big wins over some big programs this season, but tbh they won against BTW, Central, and Columbus when all three teams had lost their starting QB. And I know beating Central twice was def something not to overlook - but I been hard on Central too ever since they played a great game against BG. 

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:13
/
Duration 0:29
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently behind liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:16
Â
1x
Playback Rate
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
  • Unknown, selected
Picture-in-PictureFullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement: 0:17

Not saying I called this upset, but Norland is in no way the #11 team in the nation.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:13
/
Duration 0:30

Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time -0:17
Â
1x
Playback Rate
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
  • eng, selected

This is a modal window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement: 0:16

Maybe not one of the biggest in FHSAA history, but certainly a huge upset. Norland is nationally ranked in top 25. Berkeley might have gotten a few votes for top 25 in Florida. 

17 minutes ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

I think Miami Central would of beat the snot outta Berkeley 

13 minutes ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

SPEED 1.0x

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19

0:00
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time -0:19
Â
1x
Playback Rate
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track

This is a modal window.

Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

SPEED 1.0x

SPEED 1.0x

Advertisement

SPEED 1.0x

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19

0:00
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time -0:19
Â
1x
Playback Rate
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track

This is a modal window.

Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

SPEED 1.0x

SPEED 1.0x

Advertisement

Just like I expected. 

Let me help you here: Norland went unbeaten through Dade county and was 14-0 heading to the state title game. They were the best team in Dade county. I know, I know. You do not want to accept this. It goes against your preconceived notions. But, it's true. And Norland got beat fair and square by a two-loss Berkeley Prep team. And, this outcome challenges many other preconceived notions as well, like the idea that you have to run a hurry-up, spread offense to beat the big dogs...

10 minutes ago, WindsorCT said:

Maybe not one of the biggest in FHSAA history, but certainly a huge upset. Norland is nationally ranked in top 25. Berkeley might have gotten a few votes for top 25 in Florida. 

I'm speaking within the context of the season as a whole. Miami Central was portrayed as an invincible force. If you saw them lose, oh no you did not. So, to think that two-loss BP would emerge as the winner of 2M-with Miami Central and American Heritage and the Norland team who beat Central TWICE- is one of the most unlikely state champions in history. The reason you all don't see it is you stopped paying attention once Central was dethroned. You just never accepted Norland as the kings of Dade in 2023.

23 minutes ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

I have no affiliation with Berkeley (Live in Tampa though) but actually do with Columbus and most Columbus coaches would not agree with what you said.

Norland played one of the toughest schedules in the state and came out unscathed.

Nobody gave Berkeley a chance yet here we are. It sounds like sour grapes because Columbus lost to Norland this year and you sound a little salty about that.

Go enjoy Columbus State Title and let Berkeley enjoy one of the greatest State upsets of all time, both of these things can coexist.

Berkeley driving 4 hours South to beat state top 5 AHP at their house was impressive, then driving 4 hours North to beat another state top 5 team was even more impressive!!!! 

Berkeley earned this title. This wasn’t a case of better teams choking. This was a case of Berkeley executing their game plan to perfection and wanting it more 

1 hour ago, Vero Indian said:

I think Miami Central would of beat the snot outta Berkeley 

This comment is quite impressive in both its uselessness, and in the way it captures the stupidity of our time. Berkeley beats a team that beat Central TWICE this season, and we're to disregard that because observers think they know better than the reality of what happened on the field of play.

53 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Berkeley driving 4 hours South to beat state top 5 AHP at their house was impressive, then driving 4 hours North to beat another state top 5 team was even more impressive!!!! 

Berkeley earned this title. This wasn’t a case of better teams choking. This was a case of Berkeley executing their game plan to perfection and wanting it more 

Yep. Facts are, players are softer than they've ever been, and power-running offenses from compressed formations are rarer than they've ever been. This means kids usually don't want to play against such styles. Norland forced a three and out on the first series, and thought they were done with having to play the run. Turns out, BP was only getting started...

3 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

This comment is quite impressive in both its uselessness, and in the way it captures the stupidity of our time. Berkeley beats a team that beat Central TWICE this season, and we're to disregard that because observers think they know better than the reality of what happened on the field of play.

It's disrespectful to Norland as well, they beat Central straight up twice. Berkeley had a better gameplan and was better coached, they probably would grind down Central just as badly if not worse.

People are sleeping on Dallas Golden from Berkeley, that kid owns South Florida right now after his performance against American Heritage as well.

I hate to compare kids too much but it is Shades of Nelson Agholor out there (who went to Berkeley as well).

5 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

MC only lost to nationally ranked BG and Fellow SFL Norland and stellar Chaminade, outside of that, nobody else beat them this year

6 minutes ago, havs54 said:

It's disrespectful to Norland as well, they beat Central straight up twice. Berkeley had a better gameplan and was better coached, they probably would grind down Central just as badly if not worse.

People are sleeping on Dallas Golden from Berkeley, that kid owns South Florida right now after his performance against American Heritage as well.

I hate to compare kids too much but it is Shades of Nelson Agholor out there (who went to Berkeley as well).

Is that the "Engage 8" play art from Madden you have as your profile pic? :D

2 minutes ago, Vero Indian said:

MC only lost to nationally ranked BG and Fellow SFL Norland and stellar Chaminade, outside of that, nobody else beat them this year

Let me help you think this through:

In response to Norland losing to Berkeley Prep, your contribution to this thread is to say you think Central would whoop BP. While we all acknowledge what a shocking, nearly impossible to foresee result that is, the fact remains Norland beat Central TWICE-the only two times the teams played- this season. How is it that your conclusion, following Norland's loss, is that Miami Central would fare dramatically better?