Twenty-four minutes from one of the greatest upsets in history...

Longtime Observer

To be clear, my claim of this being one of the biggest upsets in history is specifically about a two-loss Berkeley Prep team (with losses to Calvary Christian and CCC-who lost 56-0 to Chaminade) winning the state title in a class with Miami Central and American Heritage. Had Miami Central been the name of the undefeated Dade team that BP knocked off, it would easily be accepted as one of the all-time biggest upsets. But, because the undefeated Dade team that had beaten Central twice is named Norland, people just don't get it.

Run the thought experiment: Imagine that it was 14-0 Miami Central that BP beat, instead of another team which had beaten Central twice. How would you react?

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

definitely wouldn’t qualify This as one of the biggest upsets. Berkeley beat American Heritage the week before who has a much better pedigree the Norland.

This is just a demonstration of illogical thinking. You appear to be arguing that a win over a team with a loss and zero wins over Miami Central is a bigger deal than a state title win over an undefeated team with TWO wins over Miami Central... because of something termed 'pedigree'. Like I said, pretend the team BP beat today was named Miami Central (you can do this because the team they really beat also beat Central twice!). Now how big of an upset is it?

1 hour ago, Longtime Observer said:

I'm speaking within the context of the season as a whole. Miami Central was portrayed as an invincible force. If you saw them lose, oh no you did not. So, to think that two-loss BP would emerge as the winner of 2M-with Miami Central and American Heritage and the Norland team who beat Central TWICE- is one of the most unlikely state champions in history. The reason you all don't see it is you stopped paying attention once Central was dethroned. You just never accepted Norland as the kings of Dade in 2023.

I’m not disagreeing with you. Upset is huge. Doesn’t happen often. Crazy thing is, it didn’t take gimmicky plays or a QB throwing for 300+. They had a freshman QB and they threw the ball 6 times this game. They just played bully ball against Dades best!

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Bartow beating National number 1 Bolles 14-13 in 96 is a bigger win 

Maybe. But, that was still prior to the super-team era. Bolles has 6-8 major prospects IIRC, which at the time made them almost invincible. Now, it just means they're a contender. The last 15-20 years, Dade teams have been nearly unstoppable by non-Dade teams.

5 hours ago, havs54 said:

I have no affiliation with Berkeley (Live in Tampa though) but actually do with Columbus and most Columbus coaches would not agree with what you said.

Norland played one of the toughest schedules in the state and came out unscathed.

Nobody gave Berkeley a chance yet here we are. It sounds like sour grapes because Columbus lost to Norland this year and you sound a little salty about that.

Go enjoy Columbus State Title and let Berkeley enjoy one of the greatest State upsets of all time, both of these things can coexist.

Nobody gave Berkley a chance? didn't you see @DarterBlue2predict this potential upset? I happened to agree with him. 

Congrats on the win.

Salty? We are state champs. Again. LOL. 

I stand by it. Norland was not the 11th best team in the country, And after beating AHP at home, Berkley should have been top 30.

I granted you it was an upset. But after beating AHP at their place one could hardly say this was one of the greatest in history. But whatever. Fantastic finish given the improbable start.

Having attended both Norland / Central games those two teams were evenly matched, the difference came down to the ability to convert field goals, Norland could Central couldn't.

Both times they played the were significant momentum changes and blown leads. Central

s defense wasn't as strong as we have seen in the past and they never settled on one qb to play the entire season.

12 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

Maybe. But, that was still prior to the super-team era. Bolles has 6-8 major prospects IIRC, which at the time made them almost invincible. Now, it just means they're a contender. The last 15-20 years, Dade teams have been nearly unstoppable by non-Dade teams.

Bolles also lost their starting QB, with a fractured ankle, in their first or second possession of the game inside Bartow's 10 yard line on a beautiful cold clear blue sky in Daytona Beach. (Homer Plug) Bolles offense was a shell of itself. 

16 hours ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

Nobody gave Berkley a chance? didn't you see @DarterBlue2predict this potential upset? I happened to agree with him. 

Congrats on the win.

Salty? We are state champs. Again. LOL. 

I stand by it. Norland was not the 11th best team in the country, And after beating AHP at home, Berkley should have been top 30.

I granted you it was an upset. But after beating AHP at their place one could hardly say this was one of the greatest in history. But whatever. Fantastic finish given the improbable start.

Well, I'm saying that BP winning 2M is the big upset. That involved beating both the undefeated Dade champs AND AH on the road. So, I'm counting both wins in that.

On 12/9/2023 at 12:54 PM, Vero Indian said:

I think Miami Central would of beat the snot outta Berkeley 

They would not. Berkeley's run game is for real. Rick Darlington would agree with that statement and he knows something about run games. Norland had trouble all game stopping their running attack. I have watched Central of film 4 times this year. They would have had the same problems. Not saying Central wouldn't have won, but they would, if they did, have been in a dog fight. My guess is that BP improved significantly over the course of the season. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

They would not. Berkeley's run game is for real. Rick Darlington would agree with that statement and he knows something about run games. Norland had trouble all game stopping their running attack. I have watched Central of film 4 times this year. They would have had the same problems. Not saying Central wouldn't have won, but they would, if they did, have been in a dog fight. My guess is that BP improved significantly over the course of the season. 

I'll take your word because you were there 

7 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

4 loss Lincoln beating 14-0 Armwood in 2010 is a bigger upset. People are prisoners of the moment. I’m sure if you dig hard enough you can find bigger upsets. 

This was definitely an upset, but the biggest in history is a stretch. I’ll look more into it.

That was one of the most bizarre games ever. Lincoln won 17-14 and only gained just over 100yds of total offense. They blocked a punt for a TD and Armwood fumbled like 2-3 times that game. Twice inside the 10yd line. Armwood had TO’s and a bunch of penalties and