High School Portal Opens Up Again for Venice

Perspective

Yet again, Venice has ventured up into Tampa Bay and convinced a quarterback to transfer down to Venice.   This time, rising senior QB Jayce Nixon is leaving Gaither and reportedly has enrolled at Venice, where he will play his senior year.   What's the deal?  Can't Venice grow and develop its own QB's? 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

Yet again, Venice has ventured up into Tampa Bay and convinced a quarterback to transfer down to Venice.   This time, rising senior QB Jayce Nixon is leaving Gaither and reportedly has enrolled at Venice, where he will play his senior year.   What's the deal?  Can't Venice grow and develop its own QB's? 

The most important question in your thread is "What's the Deal"???  That is the million dollar question with that position being so critical for a state championship run.  

It's interesting that they would recruit over IMG transfer Downs. Maybe he's going back to IMG, or maybe he's not as good as they hoped.

They're going to need a really strong recruiting class this year as they lose quite a bit from 2023. Of course, the best news for them is that neither STA nor Lakeland stand in their way in the new class.

22 hours ago, Perspective said:

Venice is a relatively small town. It's a lot easier to raid Tampa or even Sarasota. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Perspective said:

I agree.  Peacock doesn't.   :P

All kidding aside (if that can even be described as "kidding"), here's the problem that high school coaches face:  if their team has had a successful run, and then they have a "down year," there's a good chance all the good players who would otherwise be returning and/or beginning their high school career at that school will jump ship and transfer.   One down year leads to two or three and next thing you know, you're one of the "have nots" and you're trying to rebuild your program all over again. 

55 minutes ago, Perspective said:

All kidding aside (if that can even be described as "kidding"), here's the problem that high school coaches face:  if their team has had a successful run, and then they have a "down year," there's a good chance all the good players who would otherwise be returning and/or beginning their high school career at that school will jump ship and transfer.   One down year leads to two or three and next thing you know, you're one of the "have nots" and you're trying to rebuild your program all over again. 

47 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

And the coach is looking for a new job. 

So the only other option is to schedule easy teams, produce a winning season but get killed in the playoffs.  

On 1/23/2024 at 10:04 AM, Perspective said:

Well I hadn't thought about that and it is true.  I saw it happen to Lakewood last year where their 3-star QB graduated (and started at UVA) so all of their returning stars transferred out, much to the benefit of CCC.  I will be curious to see if they bounce back this year or if this is the downward spiral you mentioned?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious, what are the logistics of a kid from Gaither transferring to Venice? I live near Gaither and it's basically in Lutz (North Tampa).

I have a Construction Project at SRQ and it's a good 1:30-2 hours every morning during rush hour. Same after 3pm.

Or did he move down there? So the kids parents are moving as well or just renting an apartment in Venice?

Does anybody ask these questions? I'm sure it's great playing for Venice but there's plenty of other good programs in the Tampa Bay Area.

1 hour ago, havs54 said:

I'm curious, what are the logistics of a kid from Gaither transferring to Venice? I live near Gaither and it's basically in Lutz (North Tampa).

I have a Construction Project at SRQ and it's a good 1:30-2 hours every morning during rush hour. Same after 3pm.

Or did he move down there? So the kids parents are moving as well or just renting an apartment in Venice?

Does anybody ask these questions? I'm sure it's great playing for Venice but there's plenty of other good programs in the Tampa Bay Area.

People will usually make the assumption if a kid is living in the area of the new school it has to be a move but if we really want to get technical that doesn't mean recruiting didn't happen

For example (and I'm not saying that happened here but it CAN happen) if the school were to offer a job to the kids parent for the main purpose of getting their kid to come play for them wouldn't that be considered impermissible benefits if the parent was only given a position at the school in order to get their kid to play for them? And by the FHSAA standards isn't an athlete receiving impermissible benefits considered recruiting by the school? Just saying it's worth considering this when we look at a kid moving that just because a kid and his family make a move to a different area doesn't mean there was no recruiting involved in it 

7 hours ago, havs54 said:

Not to single out Venice, as this situation applies to all public school systems and public high schools in Florida.  But using Venice as an example in this case, a prospective student must first establish residence within the attendance zone for Venice High School with his/her parent(s), legal guardian, or other such people as defined by any order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.  Once residence (or clear intent) is established, the student and parent(s) can roll into the school and enroll.  However, Venice currently is "at capacity" so it has no school choice availability in grades 10-12 (see bottom section of this attachment:  https://www.sarasotacountyschools.net/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=2802&dataid=8464&FileName=24-25 Choice Capacity by School.pdf

Which means Venice cannot (theoretically) accept school choice transfers from outside its attendance zone, either from within or from outside Sarasota County.  So yes, a kid from Gaither (or anywhere outside the Venice attendance zone) would first have to establish residence within its attendance zone before being allowed to enroll at Venice.

(As an aside, information on school choice availability in public schools is required by state law to be readily accessible on each county's public school system website; Sarasota County does a nice job.)

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SportsFan said:

Since we are talking about transfers to Venice it's only fair that transfers FROM Venice is also in this discussion :rolleyes:

Interesting.   I look foward to hearing "the rest of the story" at some point in the future. 

12 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

This might mean Venice is going to win the Antwan Raymond sweepstakes. Raymond would start over Wilder most likely.

According to Raymond's X account, Raymond has official visits scheduled as follows:

3/7:  USF

3/23:  Syracuse

3/29:  West Virginia

3/30:  Rutgers

4/1:  Venice High School

B)  (Note:  80% of this post is factually accurate)