Deerfield should be taken a little more serious

Floridatech

I know we love getting caught up and grading pre-season scores but if you were not at that game beware of a few scenarios that you might want to consider before concluding from this  scrimmage.  

Wells Dusenbury from the Sun Sentinel explains his take:

Deerfield tops Chaminade in shortened kickoff classic

By Wells Dusenbury.Contact Reporter

Deerfield Beach came away with the win, but it didn’t really feel like it.

In Thursday night’s kickoff classic versus Chaminade-Madonna, the Bucks overcame a 7-3 halftime deficit to top the Class 3A state-runner up 10-7, but it was the visiting Lions who were celebrating after the contest.

Chaminade-Madonna pulled its starters in the second half and the teams played two six-minute running-clock quarters to finish the game. Deerfield Beach coach Jevon Glenn said the teams agreed to the shortened second half before the game due to the Lions dealing with some injuries.

“ [It was] kind of a waste of time,” said Glenn. “[Chaminade coach] Dameon’s [Jones] my guy, but I’m not doing that again. I’ve got 70 kids who don’t get to play. It was a pretty good practice for both teams, but it wasn’t really a game.”

Deerfield Beach scored the game-winning touchdown late in the fourth quarter as Tyron Herring hit Jaycob Williams for a 40-yard touchdown. Despite the win, Glenn wasn’t pleased, saying there was “nothing” he liked about his team’s performance.

“We came out being undisciplined and unfocused from the get-go,” said Glenn, whose Bucks finished 10-3 last season and reached the Class 8A state semifinals. “We’ve got a long way to go. We’ve got lofty goals and we can’t have time to waste days.”

Chaminade’s Jones was more pleased despite the deceptive loss. The Lions defense was stout throughout the first half and the team’s offense came through with big plays when they needed it.

“I’m proud of what we accomplished tonight. We’ve got some stuff to work on, but that’s a good football team and we held our own.”

After some early hiccups, Chaminade struck first. Backed up on their own 5-yard line, Chaminade put together a 95-yard touchdown drive behind some impressive throws from new starting quarterback Daelen Menard. The junior, taking over for Utah State freshman Henry Colombi, hit Alabama commit Xavier Williams on a 45-yard gain deep ball to kick off the drive.

Later in the series, Menard went back to the air, this time connecting with Akeem Hayes for 40 yards to set the Lions up deep inside Bucks territory. Auburn commit Shaun Shivers, the Sun Sentinel’s reigning Offensive Player of the Year, finished off the drive with a 5-yard touchdown run to put the Lions up 7-0.

In the second quarter, the Bucks finally found some offensive rhythm behind a pair of big Cornelius McCoy catches. Deerfield Beach drove to the Lions’ 5, but three consecutive Herring incompletions forced the Bucks to settle for 23-yard field goal from Liden Rivera.

Prior to the game, Deerfield Beach held a moment of silence to recognize former Bucks football player T.J. Bradley, who was killed on May 28 in a prom-night car accident that injured teammate Demetirus Palmer.

Chaminade-Madonna will open up the regular season on Thursday at Miami Central, while Deerfield Beach will travel to defending 6A state champ Carol City next Friday.

1 minute ago, Floridatechfootball said:

Even tho they pull starters and im aware they did i even mentioned the game was shortened but brining back ups in also shows that their is DEPTH and plus sum of yall be talkin bout how serious these KOC be too....

I think it is safe to conclude Deerfield Beach should be taken serious defensively. That has pretty much been established with a solid base, solid spring showing, and lots of transfers defensively.

Offense still might need a little more firepower IMO to compete with the best in 8A IMO.  This years roster offensively can't touch 2016.  Does not mean they can't develop and turn their good players into great players but they definitely took a hit in that department....

1 minute ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I think it is safe to conclude Deerfield Beach should be taken serious defensively. That has pretty much been established with a solid base, solid spring showing, and lots of transfers defensively.

Offense still might need a little more firepower IMO to compete with the best in 8A IMO.  This years roster offensively can't touch 2016.  Does not mean they can't develop and turn their good players into great players but they definitely took a hit in that department....

They defense is solid and i think they are in wit da rest of 8a

17 minutes ago, Floridatechfootball said:

Even tho they pull starters and im aware they did i even mentioned the game was shortened but brining back ups in also shows that their is DEPTH and plus sum of yall be talkin bout how serious these KOC be too....

Yes which is true but obviously BOTH TEAMS agreed on pulling their starters out so they didn't care... Now let's see if IMG vs Carol City , AHP vs BTW and ext do it like they did last year cause both of them play their starters throughout the KOC...

2 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

Yes which is true but obviously BOTH TEAMS agreed on pulling their starters out so they didn't care... Now let's see if IMG vs Carol City , AHP vs BTW and ext do it like they did last year cause both of them play their starters throughout the KOC...

I read it on Sun Sentinel about dem starters but tonight i bet Vero aint pullin out starters

7 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Both teams are solid but if it was stater vs starters chaminade would have won that & even vs chaminade back ups i still took Dfb to the final seconds to win to me that speak more on the goodness of chaminade imo

Both will be playoff teams and contenders but next week will say more about both teams 

13 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Both teams are solid but if it was stater vs starters chaminade would have won that & even vs chaminade back ups i still took Dfb to the final seconds to win to me that speak more on the goodness of chaminade imo

Deerfield played em tough in dat first half 7-3

1 minute ago, Floridatechfootball said:

Deerfield played em tough in dat first half 7-3

They are going to have to play them tough  if they want to make that 8A playoff run....They may play 5 teams on par with that caliber consecutively in Nov/Dec.  Could be Miramar/Western , Delray Atlantic, Miramar/Western, Southridge or others and North....

Not an easy 5 game stretch and not to mention they play Piper as a warmup to that stretch.

20 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

They are going to have to play them tough  if they want to make that 8A playoff run....They may play 5 teams on par with that caliber consecutively in Nov/Dec.  Could be Miramar/Western , Delray Atlantic, Miramar/Western, Southridge or others and North....

Not an easy 5 game stretch and not to mention they play Piper as a warmup to that stretch.

No its noot easy but da bucks.schedule is tough too

10 minutes ago, badbird said:

Columbia beat Apopka in a KOC last year.  I'm just saying don't read too much into these games unless you were there and have a football eye to notice what is going on.

Well i was there and i saw what happened 

5 turnovers for apopka 

0 for Columbia 

Very rare Do you go minus 5 in turnover ratio and win and when you face a good team, good luck 

that is correct and that is why a score does not tell the whole truth.  Even more so in a KOC because there are a lot more factors that play in.  Like trying to get a look at different kids.  Not trying to show too much of the offense or defense.  Most teams will keep the game plan very basic.  However if you are there and know what's going on you can get a better judge and take more out of it.