Lakeland vs. Manatee

gwdrum75

I've been waiting a few years for this game. Hopefully it renews the rivalry. Manatee was the thorn in Lakeland's side in the late 80's/early 90's.. After winning the 5A championship in '86, Lakeland failed to make the playoffs the next 6 years. Manatee would edge them out every year in close games and twice in a three team tie-breaker to take the district.

Of the records I can find, Manatee leads the series 18-16.
During the Bill Castle era, Manatee leads the series 11-6. The last meeting was a 21-9 Lakeland win in 2000.

Kickoff games:
Lakeland 42 - East Bay 6
Manatee 0 - Armwood 19

Series History:
1916 - Braidentown 13   Lakeland 0
1922 - Lakeland    72    Bradentown 0
1923 - Lakeland    20    Bradentown 0
1933 - Lakeland    43    Bradenton 0
1960 - Lakeland    19    Manatee    0
1961 - Lakeland    27    Manatee    0
1962 - Manatee    14      Lakeland 7    
1963 - Lakeland    28    Manatee    27
1964 - Lakeland    22    Manatee    0
1965 - Lakeland    20    Manatee    7
1966 - Lakeland    20    Manatee    14
1967 - Manatee    6       Lakeland 0    
1968 - Manatee    13      Lakeland 12    
1969 - Lakeland    30    Manatee    6
1970 - Manatee    21      Lakeland 12    
1971 - Manatee    14      Lakeland 13    
1972 - Manatee    18      Lakeland 13    
1977 - Manatee    24      Lakeland 12    
1978 - Manatee    24      Lakeland 12    
1979 - Lakeland    14    Manatee    10
1980 - Lakeland    20    Manatee    14
1981 - Manatee    28      Lakeland 14    
1982 - Lakeland    35    Manatee    13
1983 - Manatee    19      Lakeland 14 Playoffs
1984 - Lakeland    19    Manatee    14 Playoffs
1987 - Manatee    34      Lakeland 28 3OT
1988 - Manatee    12      Lakeland 0    
1989 - Manatee    17      Lakeland 7    
1990 - Manatee    38      Lakeland 28    
1991 - Manatee    32      Lakeland 27    
1992 - Manatee    31      Lakeland 24    
1994 - Manatee    28      Lakeland 20 Playoffs
1999 - Lakeland    42    Manatee    14
2000 - Lakeland    21    Manatee    9

Lakeland's offense looked very good in the kickoff game. but not sure if East Bay is that bad or Lakeland is that good. Defense is the biggest question mark for Lakeland. But again, they shut out East Bay until the final drive with reserves in. So, not sure if that is a positive sign or just going up against a bad offense.

Kevaris Thomas looks to be making better decisions than he did in the spring game against Venice. And he can throw 60+ yards effortlessly. Demarkus Bowman has blazing speed. Really reminds me of Chris Rainey in his sophomore year.  So, I really think this year's offense has more weapons to spread the ball around. I think they'll be able to score.

Manatee looked lost offensively in their game against Armwood. Defensively they held their own, but were aided by the penalty parade that Armwood decided to take part in.

This game is a measuring stick for me. Both teams are filling big holes. However, I think Lakeland is a bit ahead of them. If Lakeland struggles against Manatee, it will tell me alot about how this season is going to go. Especially with Apopka and East Lake to come down the line.

2 hours ago, gwdrum75 said:

Lakeland/Manatee stopped about 5 minutes into the 1st quarter due to lightning. Game was cancelled and will not be made up.

That was really a bummer. I was hoping that they could come to an agreement to play Monday Night or something but it just didn't work out. Was looking forward to seeing these 2 go at it for a 4 full quarters. That radar didn't look good and I knew that weather was coming just wished it would have passed over. Always next year 

9 hours ago, gwdrum75 said:

Lakeland/Manatee stopped about 5 minutes into the 1st quarter due to lightning. Game was cancelled and will not be made up.

So these teams don't need the playoff points for this game? I would have wanted to see that game finished as well. Was actually hoping for it to be played sometime this weekend.

55 minutes ago, 941football said:

So these teams don't need the playoff points for this game? I would have wanted to see that game finished as well. Was actually hoping for it to be played sometime this weekend.

For playoff points, your points are divided by how many games you play (must play minimum of 8 to make playoffs). 

So let's say both Lakeland and Manatee finish with 400 points (random number picked; no clue if this is high or low) -- if the game was played then it would be divided by 10. Since the game is not being played, it will now be divided by 9. 

It behooves teams to play 10 games, of course, but it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

For playoff points, your points are divided by how many games you play (must play minimum of 8 to make playoffs). 

So let's say both Lakeland and Manatee finish with 400 points (random number picked; no clue if this is high or low) -- if the game was played then it would be divided by 10. Since the game is not being played, it will now be divided by 9. 

So we (Dillard) got points for playing booker t?

7 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

So we (Dillard) got points for playing booker t?

3 before game even played and depending how BTW finishes you will get a x number of points when calculated week 11

All Dillard needs to worry about is sweeping district and win as many games as they can and they will be good 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

3 before game even played and depending how BTW finishes you will get a x number of points when calculated week 11

All Dillard needs to worry about is sweeping district and win as many games as they can and they will be good 

Which should happen nobody in that district anywhere near booker T 

2 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

So lets just take Manatee for instance. Lets say they don't win their district (which I'm leaning towards). Lets put into that equation the teams they beat this year don't end up having good seasons and records are down. It would seem if this happens they would be looking for every point they could regardless of how many games played.

I'm still trying to play out in my head this points system as the year goes on. My thought is this game not being played will hurt in the end.

17 minutes ago, 941football said:

So lets just take Manatee for instance. Lets say they don't win their district (which I'm leaning towards). Lets put into that equation the teams they beat this year don't end up having good seasons and records are down. It would seem if this happens they would be looking for every point they could regardless of how many games played.

I'm still trying to play out in my head this points system as the year goes on. My thought is this game not being played will hurt in the end.

In the case of Manatee it could as their overall schedule is weak and they could lose the District to Sarasota Riverview. By dropping Lakeland, they have sacrificed at least 3 points since I believe Lakeland was a playoff team last year. It may be more as Lakeland could end up having a very good season. 

I would think it it in Manatee's interest to want to makeup this game.

From the Lakeland Ledger:

“There was no discussion of the game being rescheduled,” Collins (Lakeland A.D.) said as the teams’ charter buses were on the way back to Lakeland. “We just received word from Manatee that there would be ‘no make up.’”

6 hours ago, Zoe Boy said:

Lakeland to Manatee? How much money they would be spending to drive over there? 

It's not that far. They could use the Polk school buses. It should be no more than a little over an hour, maybe an hour and a half in bad traffic. Heck, from West Orange to East River in Orange County (Orlando) is probably about the same.

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It's not that far. They could use the Polk school buses. It should be no more than a little over an hour, maybe an hour and a half in bad traffic. Heck, from West Orange to East River in Orange County (Orlando) is probably about the same.

The bad thing about polk county schools is that you can't get a county bus until after 5:15 due to the middle schools schedule being different from the High schools. It would be an hour and a half drive to Manatee from Lakeland so that would get them there around 6:45-7 and that would mean they would be rushed and could throw off their mojo. Could have something to do with not rescheduling this one. I assume they got a charter bus to avoid that issue.