Interview from Josh with my local paper on Point System

Trelle

37 minutes ago, badbird said:

giving extra points for playing up a class is a bad idea.  If you are a 5A school and you play Colonial in 8A it shouldn't give you extra points than playing Madison County in 1A.  Maybe you can get extra points if you play up a class vs a top tier team.

Yeah it would give no incentive to play teams 

That shouldn't happen for 5-8a

What they can do is offer bonus points for 1-4a playing up 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah it would give no incentive to play teams 

That shouldn't happen for 5-8a

What they can do is offer bonus points for 1-4a playing up 

For once in a long time, I actually agree with ColumbiaHighFan. 5A-8A should not receive points for playing up. 1A-4A, if they play 5A-8A than they should receive a couple of points.
The reason why 5A-8A should not receive points for playing up is that history doesn't show a huge advantage between those classifications. Meanwhile, the number of 1A-4A beating 5A-8A is not as high, so reward a point or two. Do not reward a point for 1A playing 2A, reward it for 1A playing 5A. 

2 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

For once in a long time, I actually agree with ColumbiaHighFan. 5A-8A should not receive points for playing up. 1A-4A, if they play 5A-8A than they should receive a couple of points.
The reason why 5A-8A should not receive points for playing up is that history doesn't show a huge advantage between those classifications. Meanwhile, the number of 1A-4A beating 5A-8A is not as high, so reward a point or two. Do not reward a point for 1A playing 2A, reward it for 1A playing 5A. 

whats wrong with columbiahighfan

LOL

3 hours ago, badbird said:

giving extra points for playing up a class is a bad idea.  If you are a 5A school and you play Colonial in 8A it shouldn't give you extra points than playing Madison County in 1A.  Maybe you can get extra points if you play up a class vs a top tier team.

How do you define a top tier team? What rules would you establish to define these teams?

5 hours ago, Trelle said:

Hope you don’t mind Josh just saw it posted online thought others may like to read some more insight:

http://www.tcpalm.com/story/sports/columnists/jon-santucci/2017/10/24/does-new-fhsaa-playoff-format-work/796236001/

I had been waiting for this to get posted. I knew it was coming.

10 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

How do you define a top tier team? What rules would you establish to define these teams?

I'm obviously not a fan of the system but if it is what we are going to use I would like to help adjust it so it is better.  I personally don't think class matters.  I think the level of the team matters.  If you did add points for playing up I don't think you should get extra points for automatically playing up vs a bad team.  So with that said maybe you could  award 3 bonus points if you play up vs a tier 1 team and 1 if you play up vs a tier 2 team.  If the team is tier 3 or 4 they are probably not very good and not worthy of giving you extra points.

Just now, badbird said:

I'm obviously not a fan of the system but if it is what we are going to use I would like to help adjust it so it is better.  I personally don't think class matters.  I think the level of the team matters.  If you did add points for playing up I don't think you should get extra points for automatically playing up vs a bad team.  So with that said maybe you could  award 3 bonus points if you play up vs a tier 1 team and 1 if you play up vs a tier 2 team.  If the team is tier 3 or 4 they are probably not very good and not worthy of giving you extra points.

hmm so 

Madison playing Columbia gets bonus points while Madison playing Leto don't get points?

2 minutes ago, badbird said:

I get that part, but how would you define them? Like so many wins in a 5-year period, the number of state championships won, or how far they got in the playoffs? What criteria? You didn't answer my questions on how you would create the definition to who is and who is not a Tier 1, Tier 2, etc.

2 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

That sounds good to me. I know the good 1A schools in our area pretty much dominate the 4A teams but when you jump to 5A the numbers and depth start to wear on the 1A schools.  

17 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

You would have to have specific criteria laid out. These would have to be in plain, concise English that leaves no room for ambiguity. Anything less, and the whole concept of "top tier teams" creates more problems than it would solve. Just basing top tier on number/percentage of wins over a period may not be sufficient. Different teams play much harder or softer schedules which will impact their number/percentage of wins. 

Call me a skeptic, but I think introducing top tier teams into the equation creates as many problems as it solves. It may be that reducing the number of classes by a class or two; eliminating districts that are less than 4 or 5 teams; and, if that were not feasible based on travel considerations, creating a limited number of regional wildcards, may be a better, more transparent solution. 

16 minutes ago, badbird said:

yes no one should get bonus points for playing Leto and Columbia wouldn't get the points Madison County would get them in your scenario

Yes ik but wasn't the whole idea we talking about was getting extra points to classes 1-4a for playing up? 

We would get bonus points for playing Madison for being a good team but Madison gets points for Columbia being a good team and extra points on top of it for Columbia being 7a and good 

That would help teams like BTW who plays good teams in high classes so it will encourage every team to play up but to make sure it's good teams