Quiz - Longest Wait for Another Title

OldSchoolLion

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

All of the following teams have won at least one state title.  One team on this list has been waiting longer than anyone else in the state to win again since their last title win?  Who is it?

Bradford

Cardinal Mooney

Clay

Columbia

Coral Gables

Fort Pierce Central

Melbourne

Miami High

Tampa Jesuit

Wildwood

Figured Fort Pierce Central ends up on the list before I clicked this lol

54 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Yes Carver (Delray Beach) was a Monster too. Played ball with NFL'er Charles "Dr Love" Cornelius, a Carver grad. 

Daytona Dan Thanks for reminding us of the classic players and nicknames.

Not football, but my personal FL favorite Chocolate Thunder from the Planet Lovetron doin' the Turbo Sexaphonic Delight dunk

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Mooney 1972
Branford 1966
Clay 1967
Columbia 1967
Coral Gables 1968
Fort Pierce Central 1971
Tampa Jesuit 1968
Melbourne 1966
Miami High 1965
Wildwood 1970

Damn son... you just go and look up the answer to the quizzes.. No way you have off the top of the fun.. .half the fun of this stuff, is trying to figure it. 

5 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Damn son... you just go and look up the answer to the quizzes.. No way you have off the top of the fun.. .half the fun of this stuff, is trying to figure it. 

Well technically darter answered correctly before I even got a chance to post it 

I just confirmed it :P

22 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Daytona Dan Thanks for reminding us of the classic players and nicknames.

Not football, but my personal FL favorite Chocolate Thunder from the Planet Lovetron doin' the Turbo Sexaphonic Delight dunk

OldLion, I had the pleasure of seeing Dr Dunk, Dr Funkenstein, and your nicknames above for Orlando Evans great Darryl Dawkins. He and his teammates knocked my Mainland Buccaneers out of the playoffs in 1975 at their cracker box gymnasium. It was a sellout. We Daytona fans bitched and complained so much outside the school that Evans administrators let us in during halftime and we were stacked deep along the baselines and the four corners of the basketball court. My 6'5" buddy Tryone Gaddy screamed at Darryl as he ran by after a score. Dr D smiled, put up his hands, and "dwarfed" my giant friend. His high school size was Unbelievable. Later that year, he became the 2nd high school player EVER to be drafted into the NBA.....

* side note to the young ones out there. DD was the original Shaq. A monster sized nice guy who liked to talk. Most of his aliases, and outlandish vocabulary stemmed from the George Clinton lead funk/rock band Parliament/ Funkadelic, featuring Bootsy Collins. They were from the planet Lovetron and they often lived around Chocolate City (Washington,DC). I still own several of their albums from the 70's :)  

1 hour ago, Dan in Daytona said:

OldLion, I had the pleasure of seeing Dr Dunk, Dr Funkenstein, and your nicknames above for Orlando Evans great Darryl Dawkins. He and his teammates knocked my Mainland Buccaneers out of the playoffs in 1975 at their cracker box gymnasium. It was a sellout. We Daytona fans bitched and complained so much outside the school that Evans administrators let us in during halftime and we were stacked deep along the baselines and the four corners of the basketball court. My 6'5" buddy Tryone Gaddy screamed at Darryl as he ran by after a score. Dr D smiled, put up his hands, and "dwarfed" my giant friend. His high school size was Unbelievable. Later that year, he became the 2nd high school player EVER to be drafted into the NBA.....

* side note to the young ones out there. DD was the original Shaq. A monster sized nice guy who liked to talk. Most of his aliases, and outlandish vocabulary stemmed from the George Clinton lead funk/rock band Parliament/ Funkadelic, featuring Bootsy Collins. They were from the planet Lovetron and they often lived around Chocolate City (Washington,DC). I still own several of their albums from the 70's :)  

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, Dan!   

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20150828/75-mainland-bucs-got-an-early-look-at-the-dawkins-legend

Youngerns out there...we take dunking for granted now.  When you first started seeing dunking in high school it was like a spiritual experience.  The gym would go craaaaazzy...everyone standing. 

Evans may have had Dawkins, Dan, but they never had a Vince.  the def jam ...The Roots..."In the Music."   

Boy Wonder in Lake City got it.  Miami High has been waiting the longest.  I just posted another thread concerning their historic games over 50 years ago.

All of those teams on the original list have been waiting 45 or more years for a title.  Wildwood and Melbourne High are both on that list and there is a connection.  Coach Robert Byrd Whigham began his coaching career at Wildwood High School where he lead them to a state title in 1964, beating Hollywood Chaminade in the state semis and then Lake City Columbia in the finals.  He was voted 1964 Florida High School Coach of the Year. He then moved to Melbourne High School, where he lead them to the state finals in 1965 and 1966.  They lost to Miami High in 1965 and beat Fort Lauderdale High in 1966.  He had a sign posted in the school locker room stating "The only one who loves a loser is his mother WIN!" After coaching in Melbourne, he was on the coaching staffs at Auburn University, University of Georgia and at Troy State. 

16 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, Dan!   

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20150828/75-mainland-bucs-got-an-early-look-at-the-dawkins-legend

Youngerns out there...we take dunking for granted now.  When you first started seeing dunking in high school it was like a spiritual experience.  The gym would go craaaaazzy...everyone standing. 

Evans may have had Dawkins, Dan, but they never had a Vince.  the def jam ...The Roots..."In the Music."   

Lion, the sad thing about high school dunking of the basketball was that it was outlawed during the early years of Florida's integration of public schools. Darryl Dawkins wasn't allowed to dunk in high school ! They, the rednecks policy makers, claimed it took away from the skill and beauty of the game. We know now, as then, it was all racist bull$hit. I'll bet most on this message board have never heard this before. Trust me, I witnessed this sorry time in our state history. 

* All the dunking was done in pre-game warm up, TRUTH !

Dan speaks the truth, all!  Check out this article from 40 years ago.  We've come a long way!

https://www.si.com/vault/1977/03/14/560853/dunkers-are-strutting-their-stuffs

The first hs guy I remember seeing creatively dunk with regularity in a game was Jim Thomas, who played for Fort Lauderdale Nova back in the late 70's.  He was 6''3" if that, but could fly.  Went on to play for Bobby Knight at Indiana and in the pros.

People would come from all over south FL to watch this guy because they were not used to seeing dunking in hs games, especially from someone at that height.  No big thang now, but back then it would give you goosebumps.   

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Dan speaks the truth, all!  Check out this article from 40 years ago.  We've come a long way!

https://www.si.com/vault/1977/03/14/560853/dunkers-are-strutting-their-stuffs

The first hs guy I remember seeing creatively dunk with regularity in a game was Jim Thomas, who played for Fort Lauderdale Nova back in the late 70's.  He was 6''3" if that, but could fly.  Went on to play for Bobby Knight at Indiana and in the pros.

People would come from all over south FL to watch this guy because they were not used to seeing dunking in hs games, especially from someone at that height.  No big thang now, but back then it would give you goosebumps.   

After a "google" search I stand corrected from an earlier post. Darryl Dawkins was the 1st player to go from high school to the NBA. I knew Moses Malone went earlier but it was to the ABA ( which later merged with the NBA ). I mistakenly thought Bill Willoughby, from the Atlanta Hawks was the first.  With OldSchoolLion now prowling the message board this sometimes forgetful old guy doesn't always remember things correctly as they were. My game needs up grading. I better check before posting :)