Fhsaa

DisabledAccount

https://www.lakecityreporter.com/sports/prep-sports-county-coaches-not-favor-new-fhsaa-playoff-proposal

As I've said before 

It would be a good idea if maxpreps wasn't the rankings used

If one person is fooling around (fans are able to enter stats and scores) then you could get a team completely screwed under this system 

They want to use Max Preps because it would be a lot of work if they did it themselves. The problem with Max Preps is not that the rankings are computer based, for in most cases the right teams would be selected in all material respects. The problem is that the Max Preps data is often inaccurate. So, if Max Preps is to be used, there would have to be a lot of changes in the way in which the data is entered and the degree to which Max Preps authenticates it. I don't see that happening because CBS which runs Max Preps does not want to sink that kind of resources into it. Just my opinion, though.

2 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

So watz the best site to use for getting true team rankings stats videos and schedules with true scores ?? I’ve been using maxpreps since I was a player in school over 7 years ago.

Dillard idk if maxpreps was run better when you played but they usually have mistake after mistake 

Part of why is because fans will put down the wrong information and if something like that can happen i wouldn't have confidence in it being done correctly if it's importance went up

Yes, take the top 64 teams. I don't care how you do it. But taking the top 64 teams and then the next 64 is a simple answer when all of them will make the playoffs and districts will not matter. Who are the top 64? It would probably change each year. Maybe ask for volunteers first in who wants to be in Division 1 and Division 2 first. But I think it is a great idea.

FHSAA could use MaxPreps just fine and just make sure a schedule is submitted at the beginning of the year and make sure those games are in the MaxPreps schedule (no additions). A lot of work, but seriously what else are the FHSAA people doing all day, monitoring Florida HS sports message boards? The FHSAA just needs to fine teams if they don't put in their schedules and don't put in the results. Coaches and ADs just need to make sure they do it, instead of some of random dad or overenthusiastic former alum. Also ask Frank Beasley how quickly coaches contacted him if something was wrong with their point totals. Coaches, knowing that seeding and placing is on the line will ensure that it gets fill out correctly. Right now, they don't have to fill it out correctly, because it is not part of their job.

Now, I would make districts for the Division 3-7 only because I feel districts and district tournaments are the best way to ensure the top 2 teams get in. In sports like baseball and basketball, you schedule games that you might lose. In baseball you might have to play 3 games in a week, what happens to your starting pitching? So keep the districts there.

Of course coaches aren't going to like it because they are SCARED. They don't know where they will be ranked and don't know if that is going to be a better situation for them. The FHSAA would need to show all the schools exactly what grouping they are in before the coaches will sign up for it. 

And to answer the basketball coach: YES, I would eliminate conference tournaments in NCAA basketball if it was economically feasible. I would allow the first 2 or 3 rounds to be hosted at the lower seeds home arena until we got to the final 64 (and it wouldn't extend the season). One of the best parts of Indiana Basketball was the fact that every team was in the playoff tournament and they were all in just one tournament, thus it meant something. 

To help you Columbia Fan
MaxPreps Rankings:
Baseball: #246
Softball:  #25
Boys Basketball: #184
Girls Basketball: #210
Boys Soccer: #131
Girls Soccer: #237
Volleyball: #188

Basically, none of Columbia's teams would be affected except their softball team. 

If nothing else, shrinking the number of classifications is a great idea. It is the same thing that many of us call for in football, the same is true in other sports. If they do not reduce the number of classes, they should really think of instituting a Tournament of Champions for all sports (sans football). 

One more week of Track and Wrestling where the top 3-4 finishers compete to be the best in the state. Same is true in the team sports as well. 

7 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Yes, take the top 64 teams. I don't care how you do it. But taking the top 64 teams and then the next 64 is a simple answer when all of them will make the playoffs and districts will not matter. Who are the top 64? It would probably change each year. Maybe ask for volunteers first in who wants to be in Division 1 and Division 2 first. But I think it is a great idea.

FHSAA could use MaxPreps just fine and just make sure a schedule is submitted at the beginning of the year and make sure those games are in the MaxPreps schedule (no additions). A lot of work, but seriously what else are the FHSAA people doing all day, monitoring Florida HS sports message boards? The FHSAA just needs to fine teams if they don't put in their schedules and don't put in the results. Coaches and ADs just need to make sure they do it, instead of some of random dad or overenthusiastic former alum. Also ask Frank Beasley how quickly coaches contacted him if something was wrong with their point totals. Coaches, knowing that seeding and placing is on the line will ensure that it gets fill out correctly. Right now, they don't have to fill it out correctly, because it is not part of their job.

Now, I would make districts for the Division 3-7 only because I feel districts and district tournaments are the best way to ensure the top 2 teams get in. In sports like baseball and basketball, you schedule games that you might lose. In baseball you might have to play 3 games in a week, what happens to your starting pitching? So keep the districts there.

Of course coaches aren't going to like it because they are SCARED. They don't know where they will be ranked and don't know if that is going to be a better situation for them. The FHSAA would need to show all the schools exactly what grouping they are in before the coaches will sign up for it. 

And to answer the basketball coach: YES, I would eliminate conference tournaments in NCAA basketball if it was economically feasible. I would allow the first 2 or 3 rounds to be hosted at the lower seeds home arena until we got to the final 64 (and it wouldn't extend the season). One of the best parts of Indiana Basketball was the fact that every team was in the playoff tournament and they were all in just one tournament, thus it meant something. 

To help you Columbia Fan
MaxPreps Rankings:

Basically, none of Columbia's teams would be affected except their softball team. 

If nothing else, shrinking the number of classifications is a great idea. It is the same thing that many of us call for in football, the same is true in other sports. If they do not reduce the number of classes, they should really think of instituting a Tournament of Champions for all sports (sans football). 

One more week of Track and Wrestling where the top 3-4 finishers compete to be the best in the state. Same is true in the team sports as well. 

Why not do it like the NCAA does the playoffs 

Form a committee to determine who goes in d1/d2 (they can use maxpreps for the rest) 

Or here's a idea no one thinks about 

Play the classes the way they are and take the top 64 at THE END OF THE SEASON and put d1, next 64 go to d2

That way if a normally elite team or someone who had a elite year with a stacked senior class struggles they aren't forced into a blowout 

If you determine classes like this before the season you will still end up getting plenty of blowouts, my idea cuts it in half 

7 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

To help you Columbia Fan
MaxPreps Rankings:

I've been in support of that for years

It's done in other states why not here

8 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Well thought out as usual 'gatorman. Can we trust 600 coaches and AD's to get it right? Still need a Price Waterhouse type entity to ensure integrity and accuracy.  

Knowing our state, probably Enron or Sue from Accounting....

But yes, i think you can trust the ADs/Coaches just like we did in football. Again, the best watchdog will be the coaches themselves. 

---

While you could do that, you couldnt let the top 64 to participate in the district tournament. I also think part of the goal is remove elite teams from the situation so you have less blowouts and more parity.

...just a random thought.  If the regions looked liked below in the top division...makes me wonder how this might impact transferring in south Florida.  If a kid really wants to win a title, he may not have multiple options like today, ie Chaminade 3A, AHP 5A, Central 6A, STA 7A.

In a manner of speaking, some schools have probably gotten spoiled with our current arrangement, which has made it easier to win title after title.  Are those schools going to accept winning titles much less often?

Region 1

1 Baker County 2 Crestview  3 West Florida 4 Wakulla 5 Escambia 6 Godby 7 Navarre 8 Clay

Region 2 

1 St Augustine 2 Raines 3 Bartram Trail 4 Vanguard 5 Trinity Christian 6 Mainland 7 Fleming Island 8 Lee

Region 3  

1 Dr Phillips 2 Wekiva 3 Winter Park 4 Osceola 5 Apopka 6 Jones 7 Boone 8 West orange

Region 4

1 Armwood 2 Plant 3 Riverview 4 Lakeland 5 Tampa bay Tech 6 CCC 7 Hillsbourough 8 Palmetto

Region 5

Venice, Cocoa, Riverview, Viera, Braden River, Rockledge, Vero Beach, Immokalee

Region 6

Oxbridge Academy, Atlantic, Dunbar, Naples, North Fort Myers, Deerfield Beach, University, Park Vista

Region 7

AH Plantation, Chaminade, Gibbons, St Thomas Aquinas, Miramar, Western, Plantation, Carol City 

Region 8

Northwestern, Central, Miami, Columbus, Champagnat, Booker T Washington, South Dade, Southridge 

52 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...just a random thought.  If the regions looked liked below in the top division...makes me wonder how this might impact transferring in south Florida.  If a kid really wants to win a title, he may not have multiple options like today, ie Chaminade 3A, AHP 5A, Central 6A, STA 7A.

In a manner of speaking, some schools have probably gotten spoiled with our current arrangement, which has made it easier to win title after title.  Are those schools going to accept winning titles much less often?

Region 1

1 Baker County 2 Crestview  3 West Florida 4 Wakulla 5 Escambia 6 Godby 7 Navarre 8 Clay

Region 2 

1 St Augustine 2 Raines 3 Bartram Trail 4 Vanguard 5 Trinity Christian 6 Mainland 7 Fleming Island 8 Lee

Region 3  

1 Dr Phillips 2 Wekiva 3 Winter Park 4 Osceola 5 Apopka 6 Jones 7 Boone 8 West orange

Region 4

1 Armwood 2 Plant 3 Riverview 4 Lakeland 5 Tampa bay Tech 6 CCC 7 Hillsbourough 8 Palmetto

Region 5

Venice, Cocoa, Riverview, Viera, Braden River, Rockledge, Vero Beach, Immokalee

Region 6

Oxbridge Academy, Atlantic, Dunbar, Naples, North Fort Myers, Deerfield Beach, University, Park Vista

Region 7

AH Plantation, Chaminade, Gibbons, St Thomas Aquinas, Miramar, Western, Plantation, Carol City 

Region 8

Northwestern, Central, Miami, Columbus, Champagnat, Booker T Washington, South Dade, Southridge 

Well that would be interesting but we would have to replace Oxbridge lol