Quantcast
Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gatorman-uf

Orlando Sentinel Upset...

Recommended Posts

Daytona Stadium problems mar FHSAA football finals

Dear FHSAA: Orlando is the best place for the high school football state finals

I dislike bashing the media as I think like most situations 95% or more do a great job. But these rile me...

Yes, the overall attendance would be larger if the games were in Orlando this year (but the FHSAA is making the decision  years in advance, not a week). I went to the STA-Edgewater game. My buddies and I met at a local shopping plaza at 6, drove into the STA parking lot, parked, got tickets, waited in the concession line, and still had 25-30 minutes before the game. As for leaving, we left as soon as the clock hit zero. Walked to our vehicle, practiced proper manners when allowing people to enter from other rows and were out in less than 10 minutes.The light from LPGA onto International Speedway Boulevard was being manned by a police officer and he kept the light green for a long time. 

Maybe, because we have gone to NFL, MLB, and college games that we know, you can't just pull up and walk in. If a game starts at 1, you plan on getting there for noon. Could the cell phone service been better... sure. Could their have been more parking lot attendants yep. Overall though, I felt the experience was great. The last time I went to the state championships was 2017 for the 6A-8A populations ranging from 4200 to 5900 (which is right in the range of the STA/Edgewater) and the crowds were definitely rocking more in this game than those games. The band didn't feel as insignificant. The crowd seemed to make a difference in false starts and communication. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Yes, the overall attendance would be larger if the games were in Orlando this year (but the FHSAA is making the decision  years in advance, not a week). I went to the STA-Edgewater game. My buddies and I met at a local shopping plaza at 6, drove into the STA parking lot, parked, got tickets, waited in the concession line, and still had 25-30 minutes before the game. As for leaving, we left as soon as the clock hit zero. Walked to our vehicle, practiced proper manners when allowing people to enter from other rows and were out in less than 10 minutes.The light from LPGA onto International Speedway Boulevard was being manned by a police officer and he kept the light green for a long tim

You lucked out slightly because STA won and their fans stayed for the presentation. Had you been on the Edgewater side, it would have taken a bit longer to get out. Friday, it took me 53 minutes to leave the home side after Apopka's loss to Columbus. Just saying. All in all, the biggest problem with the Daytona stadium is the two lanes at LPGA. For the MNW vs Jones game, if you did not get there at least an hour before kickoff, you would have had serious issues getting up LPGA to the parking lots. I did not for I arrived early, but my buddies did not get in till kickoff because they decided to head over from their hotel which was five minutes away, 45 minutes before kickoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

You lucked out slightly because STA won and their fans stayed for the presentation. Had you been on the Edgewater side, it would have taken a bit longer to get out. Friday, it took me 53 minutes to leave the home side after Apopka's loss to Columbus. Just saying. All in all, the biggest problem with the Daytona stadium is the two lanes at LPGA. For the MNW vs Jones game, if you did not get there at least an hour before kickoff, you would have had serious issues getting up LPGA to the parking lots. I did not for I arrived early, but my buddies did not get in till kickoff because they decided to head over from their hotel which was five minutes away, 45 minutes before kickoff

DarterBlue2 trust me. getting out of the parking lot on the STA side was not as easy or quick as might be expected lol. I had the same idea that you had, always depart on the side of the winning team. I wish that the STA fans would have stayed and celebrated a little longer. lol  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jambun82, I left immediately after the interception that ended the game. I suspect you had official duties that held you up a bit. I left my car on the STA side but watched the game on the visitor side. I ran all the way to my vehicle which was strategically located near the top west section of the lot. 

If Edgewater had won, I would have stayed for the presentation and would not have minded much being late getting home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the "look" of the games during the broadcast. The stadium was filled. That's what you want. Why play in an 80K monolith and have 5K fans? 

 

I've been wanting Tampa to build a 15K stadium forever. Could be used for States and U.T. football if they ever bring it back.

 

Alternatives? UCF's field; FAU's field, etc. USF's future field (not Ray Jay)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the perfect venue size is somewhere between 15K and 20K with a lot of in and out roads and hotels close by (sounds like Tampa and Orlando, but without the right sized venue).

Finally, another good option is Tropicana Filed, home of the Rays. It hosted the UA All American game for a bit and it rec-configures nicely for football. Plenty of parking, with huge surface lots. Lots of bars and eateries around as well for the adult folk. I think it holds about 25K for football, but could hold more. Problem would be the cost, as an indoor, air-conditioned facility isn't cheap.

Trop- Football.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 8:56 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

@Jambun82, I left immediately after the interception that ended the game. I suspect you had official duties that held you up a bit. I left my car on the STA side but watched the game on the visitor side. I ran all the way to my vehicle which was strategically located near the top west section of the lot. 

If Edgewater had won, I would have stayed for the presentation and would not have minded much being late getting home.

Ran like Usain Bolt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 7:05 PM, Dan in Daytona said:

Not to undercut my city's attempt to host the future championships, but this new stadium is a Reggie Jackson long ball from Church Street Station. Checkout all the photos....or google Orlando's new soccer stadium. 

https://www.orlandocitysc.com/stadium/generalinfo

Yup Dan,

When I road by it a while back I was like this is where they need to host the states.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



  • Posts

    • I understand your point.   From my perspective, it just shows the fallacy of trying to determine who the "best" teams are before the playoff games have been played.    Again, I see your point, but I'd have a tough time seeding a district runner-up over all the district winners except for one and giving a district runner-up the home-field advantage over all the district winners except for one.  Winning a district ought to count for something and penalizing a district winner (with a lower RPI and, therefor, a seeding worse than a district runner-up) because the other teams in its district had a bad year just doesn't sit right with me. 
    • Right, but if the purpose of seeding is to ensure that the best teams are making the regional finals and the #5 seed is better than the #2 and #3 seed, then the #5 seed shouldn't meet the #1 seed until the finals. Either way, I think the system added a little intrigue, but only because the MaxPreps system is not as transparent as the RPI system.  
    • 1 Santa Fe Catholic  25-2 2 Forest Hill  25-2 3 Bartow  25-1 4 Orlando Christian Prep  24-2 5 St Andrews  21-5 6 Sanford Seminole  23-4 7 University School  18-6 8 Westminster Academy  19-8  9 Chaminade Madonna  19-8 10 Mater Academy  23-4 11 East Lake  23-3 12 Dillard  20-7 13 Andrew Jackson  21-3 14 Paxon  22-5 15 Pine Crest  19-6  16 Northeast (Oakland Park)  20-6 17 Pembroke Pines Charter  22-2 18 Gulliver Prep  21-6 19 Stranahan  19-9 20 South Miami  21-5 21 North Florida Educational Institution  22-4 22 Miramar  19-6 23 Dwyer  22-4 24 Tampa Catholic  22-5 25 Columbia  25-2 26 Lee  21-4 27 Riviera Prep  22-6 28 Windermere Prep  25-3 29 Choctawhatchee  21-6 30 Lake Nona  21-5   Others receiving consideration:   Schoolhouse Prep 17-8 Central Florida Christian Academy  20-7 Grandview Prep  18-7 Lake Highland Prep  21-6 Oak Ridge  18-8 North Miami  15-6 Sagemont  19-8 Doral Academy  17-7 Deerfield Beach  15-7 Florida High  20-6 Fleming Island  19-8 Blanche Ely  11-13 Lincoln  22-5 Wharton   24-3 Sickles  20-7 Dr Phillips  19-7 Apopka  18-9 Osceola  19-7 Forest  20-7 Eastside  20-7 Lakewood  23-5 Windermere  19-8 The Villages Charter  20-6 Mainland  17-10 Sarasota Riverview  23-5 Bishop Kenny  22-4 Seminole  18-5 Providence  18-9 Wildwood  20-7 Mosley  21-5 Rutherford  21-6 Mount Dora Christian  26-1 Calvary Christian  20-7 Impact Christian  15-7 Wellington  21-6 Pensacola  19-5 Leesburg  16-9 Jones  15-10 North Broward Prep  18-10 George Jenkins  19-8 Hawthorne  21-3 Lakewood Ranch  18-7 Winter Haven  22-8 Bolles  18-8 Western  16-7 Charlotte  19-8 Vero Beach  17-8 Park Vista  19-6 Lakeland  19-8 Boyd Anderson  16-11 Westminster Christian  18-8 Martin County  22-3 Palatka  19-7 Berkeley Prep  22-4 Jesuit  22-6 Rickards  16-7 Belen Jesuit  17-10
    • Do you still think I had Columbia too high after they beat 20th ranked in the state Lincoln (maxpreps) to win a district Championship while down 2 starters with injury?     Said it before, I'll say it again   Nobody knows Columbia better than me, if I put them somewhere or give insight on them there's always a reason behind it  
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...