Comments, Thoughts, Concerns?

EagleEye

Edgewater has a tentative schedule with an out of state game @Lousiana against John Curtis Christian, a home game against Booker T Washington, and a game against Jones in the citrus bowl. I feel with the work the team put in last year and is putting in now after getting to states last year, they can go undefeated this season. Any thoughts?

8 hours ago, EagleEye said:

Edgewater has a tentative schedule with an out of state game @Lousiana against John Curtis Christian, a home game against Booker T Washington, and a game against Jones in the citrus bowl. I feel with the work the team put in last year and is putting in npw after getting to states last year, they can go undefeated this season. Any thoughts?

I'm also sure they will also have 15 new kids show up next year.  Coach Duke is a fine coach.  Who wouldn't want to just transfer over there without talking to anyone.

I can't speak to transfers showing up (which I am sure they will, considering the success of the program) but a schedule like that sure feels like Edgewater is confident about their chances to make another run at the State Championship. However, going undefeated feels like a stretch to me. I have no doubts about them having a great year though.

Quick thoughts:

1.  Edgewater has become the flavor of the month in the greater metropolitan Orlando area and perhaps will attract incoming transfers based on their success last year more so than from any unsavory recruiting efforts.

2.  High school teams that are really good one year aren't necessarily really good the next year - especially if they have an abundance of senior talent in the year that they are really good.   I don't know what Edgewater's roster looks like, how may seniors they lose, and what role those seniors played.  But they better have a good bit of homegrown talent returning next year to have any chance at all of running the table. 

3.  Based on the aggressive scheduling, it appears that Edgewater is trying to "take it to the next level" by scheduling tough opponents that will help their RPI, win or lose, and that will better prepare them for the teams they are likely to face if they make a deep run in the playoffs.   It's a tried and true formula for building a successful program.  

4.  Good luck against John Curtis.  I don't know what kind of team JCC will have next year, but based on past years, Edgewater will have their work cut out for them.   Two bits of logistical advice for anyone associated with the Edgewater program:  first, when John Curtis offers to transport your team on one of their buses, pass on the offer and arrange your own transportation.  That way, you're more likely to get a bus with A/C and you won't have to ride all around town on game day in 90 degree heat in a nicely painted old school bus without A/C.  Second, respectfully request (if not demand) that they provide sufficient water for your side of the field for the game . . . the whole game, not just the first quarter.  Coolers with no ice and no water don't work very well, especially after being on a hot school bus.   I'm not saying that JC did those things on purpose in the past, but I'm not not saying that either.  B)

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

2.  High school teams that are really good one year aren't necessarily really good the next year - especially if they have an abundance of senior talent in the year that they are really good.   I don't know what Edgewater's roster looks like, how may seniors they lose, and what role those seniors played.  But they better have a good bit of homegrown talent returning next year to have any chance at all of running the table. 

Edgewater lost a very good running back to graduation (ICON). Other than that, the rest of the very good skill talent will be back. They also lost some good to very good linemen on both sides of the ball who had experience. They have some holes to fill, but on paper no more so than any other team in the Orlando area. I expect them to be very good again and a return trip to state is not out of the question.  

I linked them up with the guy who runs the Battle of the Border. The game is being played in Shreveport at Independence Stadium so technically it’s a neutral site game. Curtis won’t be able to cheat their way out of an ass kicking. 

Also Clearwater Academy is going to play West Monroe in the event so maybe they can share a plane to cut costs. Lol 

9 hours ago, Perspective said:

Technically, the Super Dome was a neutral site game, too.  

Vs Plant? 
in John Curtis defense that wasn’t a good Plant team playing against Curtis who won some National Title polls. That game could have been played at Plant, with Curtis coming straight from the airport with no sleep and Curtis would have destroyed them. 

14 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Vs Plant? 
in John Curtis defense that wasn’t a good Plant team playing against Curtis who won some National Title polls. That game could have been played at Plant, with Curtis coming straight from the airport with no sleep and Curtis would have destroyed them. 

Without a doubt, John Curtis had the better team that year.  It didn't help, however, that Plant players were cramping up by the second quarter and played most of the game without their starting QB and starting RB.  But, again, I will concede that JC had the better team that year.  That said, I would bet my bottom dollar it would have been a closer game had it been played at Plant, regardless of whether JC players got no sleep or a full night's sleep.  Of course, we'll never know whether that would have happened or not. 

For what it's worth, the "[not] good Plant team" finished that season with two losses -- the regular season road loss to John Curtis and a playoff road loss to Dr. Phillips.  Somehow, that 'not good team' managed to beat Wharton.  As well as Armwood, TBT, Jefferson and six others.  And, also for what it's worth, I can only wish that this past year's team had been a 'not so good' 10-2.  :P

They lost by 3 scores in the 2nd round of the playoffs to a team who didn’t even make state. 

Plant got blown out by the 2 best teams on their schedule. They beat Armwood by one point. That was the worse Armwood team since 2001. Between 2002-2019 the 2012 Armwood team was the worst. 

Armwood that year lost 42-10 in the playoffs. 

So Plant had no good wins, and 2 blowout losses. Like I said. Not a good PLANT team

13 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

They lost by 3 scores in the 2nd round of the playoffs to a team who didn’t even make state.

Or, another way of looking at it, they (Plant) were down 7-0 until late in the 3rd quarter and 14-0 midway through the 4th quarter before eventually losing to Dr. Phillips 24-7 . . . the same Dr. Phillips team who then suffered their only loss of the season to eventual State Champion Apopka, who they had beaten earlier in the season.  The same Dr. Phillips team who finished 14 in the final MaxPreps state rankings.  Apopka finished 7th. 

Plant got blown out by the 2 best teams on their schedule. They beat Armwood by one point. That was the worse Armwood team since 2001. Between 2002-2019 the 2012 Armwood team was the worst.

If 24-7 and 33-3 are blowouts, then yes, they got blown out.  Interestingly, the team that scored 33 on them (John Curtis) then went on to score 34, 56, 59, 48, 50, 55, 50, 64, 64, 50, 62, 59, 55 and 35 in their remaining games - the last five of which were state playoff games.  All of the sudden, that 33 points isn't looking quite that bad. 

The worst Armwood team of the past 18 years still finished ranked 27th in the final MaxPreps state rankings, notwithstanding their playoff loss.

So Plant had no good wins, and 2 blowout losses. Like I said. Not a good PLANT team

I'd beg to differ.   I would consider any win by Plant over Armwood in the last 15 years to be a "good win." 

In addition, the 2012 Robinson team was loaded.  Their only two losses that year were to Plant and to eventual State 5A champion Godby 24-20 in the state semi-finals.  Oh, and they finished 18th in the final MaxPreps State Rankings.  And, in addition to knocking off Armwood and Robinson, Plant also beat six other teams that finished in the top 150 of the MaxPreps state rankings (three of which were in the top 100). 

As for Plant, they finished 21st in the final state rankings . . .out of 573 teams in the state.  So, if Plant was not a good team, that essentially means that there were 552 teams who were worse and only 20 teams that could be considered 'good.' 

Clearly, the 2012 team was not the best team that Plant has had in the last 15 years, but they were still a good team -- at least in my opinion. 

That 2012 Plant team was VERY good.  I was at Lakewood at the time, my son was on that Robinson team.  That Robinson team beat us twice that year, and is probably the reason we did not win a ring while I was at Lakewood.  Any Plant team other than the first and last year of Coach Weiner's term was a very formidable team.  I have only been on the winning side of the scoreboard against Plant once, and that Tech team was loaded.  Plant may not have had as many pro prospects as some other programs, but they were strong, physical, disciplined, and always believed they could win.   They played hard and beat many teams that were more talented than they were.