FloridaHSFootball.com Season Previews

SportsNut25

This off-season, the amazing writers and interns of FloridaHSFootball.com will be posting seasonal preview guides for a very select group of 125 teams. 

This thread will be dedicated to all conversation about these preview guides. Please do not post preview guides from any other site in this thread. If you would like to post a preview guide from another source about any team, please make a separate thread, or post it in an already existing thread (if applicable). 

First preview guide posted is for the Manatee Hurricanes: http://floridahsfootball.com/2016/07/11/2016-preview-guide-manatee-hurricanes-team-preview/

Today's preview is for Archbishop McCarthy, a team that finished 11-0 last season: http://floridahsfootball.com/2016/07/13/2016-preview-guide-archbishop-mccarthy-mavericks-team-preview/

Overall,  solid preview!  But one question...

"Next workhorse in the backfield?"   What the heck happened to RB Willie Davis???? Very surprised that was not noted...

I know that the loss of RB Anthony Rey to graduation was huge to the Mavericks but what may have been even more critical that the preview forgot to mention was 2019 FR starting RB Willie Davis. Willie Davis started in the backfield with Anthony Rey last year and did very well.  I assume Archbishiop McCarthy planned on building their team for the next 3 years around him as well.  Many touted the PPO 8th grader as one of the best youth football RBs in the nation in 2014. Davis could be one of the premier upcoming RBs in the state by 2019.

If Davis is no longer with the team I am very surprised that the loss was not mentioned in the preview.

Check out his hudl from last year:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6488482/5721d60abd746d007c774eda

Another underrated loss for Archbishop McCarthy was PlaceKicker Nick Costa. Costa had a great leg, was good for a touchback or two almost every game and will be hard shoes to fill.

I am not so sure Coral Springs Charter will make for an interesting game with Archbishop McCarthy in 2016.  They lost 4-5 D1 players and another 4-5 to D2,D3 and Juco. They had kids with with offers from D1 Ivy league Columbia to the ACC -Louisville!    I think Coral Springs Charter is a .500 type team this year in the Gold Coast Conference. Last year would have been for a great game between those teams.  I saw both teams play in the regular season and in their Championship games.  I believe Coral Springs Charter would have taken that game by 10 though.  The QBs/OL/DL were a wash but as good as the Archbishop McCarthy skilled players were, Coral Springs Charter players were just better.  Coral Springs Charter may have been the best (for the most part) unknown team in the state last year.  Definitely knocking at the top 50 door in FL in 2015.

North Broward Prep might actually be the team that could be an interesting matchup with Archbishop McCarthy.  I am hearing they may have the skilled position players to match up with Archbishop McCarthy.  North Broward Prep definitely has the best player in the Gold Coast Conference in 2018 WR Kevin Austin. I am looking forward to reading the North Broward Prep preview as well.

The most improved team in the Gold Coast Conference could very well be the Coral Glades Jaguars.  I am hearing big improvements coming from that program.  I wont get off topic here. end.

Overall,  solid preview!  But one question...

"Next workhorse in the backfield?"   What the heck happened to RB Willie Davis???? Very surprised that was not noted...

I know that the loss of RB Anthony Rey to graduation was huge to the Mavericks but what may have been even more critical that the preview forgot to mention was 2019 FR starting RB Willie Davis. Willie Davis started in the backfield with Anthony Rey last year and did very well.  I assume Archbishiop McCarthy planned on building their team for the next 3 years around him as well.  Many touted the PPO 8th grader as one of the best youth football RBs in the nation in 2014. Davis could be one of the premier upcoming RBs in the state by 2019.

If Davis is no longer with the team I am very surprised that the loss was not mentioned in the preview.

Check out his hudl from last year:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6488482/5721d60abd746d007c774eda

Another underrated loss for Archbishop McCarthy was PlaceKicker Nick Costa. Costa had a great leg, was good for a touchback or two almost every game and will be hard shoes to fill.

I am not so sure Coral Springs Charter will make for an interesting game with Archbishop McCarthy in 2016.  They lost 4-5 D1 players and another 4-5 to D2,D3 and Juco. They had kids with with offers from D1 Ivy league Columbia to the ACC -Louisville!    I think Coral Springs Charter is a .500 type team this year in the Gold Coast Conference. Last year would have been for a great game between those teams.  I saw both teams play in the regular season and in their Championship games.  I believe Coral Springs Charter would have taken that game by 10 though.  The QBs/OL/DL were a wash but as good as the Archbishop McCarthy skilled players were, Coral Springs Charter players were just better.  Coral Springs Charter may have been the best (for the most part) unknown team in the state last year.  Definitely knocking at the top 50 door in FL in 2015.

North Broward Prep might actually be the team that could be an interesting matchup with Archbishop McCarthy.  I am hearing they may have the skilled position players to match up with Archbishop McCarthy.  North Broward Prep definitely has the best player in the Gold Coast Conference in 2018 WR Kevin Austin. I am looking forward to reading the North Broward Prep preview as well.

The most improved team in the Gold Coast Conference could very well be the Coral Glades Jaguars.  I am hearing big improvements coming from that program.  I wont get off topic here. end.

Davis was mentioned, but the writer failed to check to see he was not on the returning list of players that was submitted to us by McCarthy. I had to make a change really quick when brought up and the story will be edit more shortly to mention this loss, but had to strip any mention of Davis at the moment. Davis is now over at Miami Central so I will be making sure that is added in to the preview.

I have also been dealing with internet issues today (entire Cox system in Florida went down for four hours taking out everything) and still experiencing some issues on and off at the moment. 

The reason behind the selection of the Coral Springs Charter game as that those are two conference champions with CSC coming over from the Southeastern Football conference. I picked the game and I could have put NBP in there as well. I am sure we will be visiting that game come the week they do play as a game to watch. It will all depend on how everyone comes out of the gate. 

We will have a feature team preview on NBP though. Each team is really different when picking which games are the ones to circle. Doesn't mean that McCarthy vs NBP won't be important, because every game in the Gold Coast this year is important considering the schedule. 

Davis was mentioned, but the writer failed to check to he see was not on the returning list of players that was submitted to us by McCarthy. I had to make a change really quick when brought up and the story will be edit more shortly to mention this loss, but had to strip any mention of Davis at the moment. Davis is now over at Miami Central so I will be making sure that is added in to the preview.

I have also been dealing with internet issues today (entire Cox system in Florida went down for four hours taking out everything) and still experiencing some issues on and off at the moment. 

The reason behind the selection of the Coral Springs Charter game as that those are two conference champions with CSC coming over from the Southeastern Football conference. I picked the game and I could have put NBP in there as well. I am sure we will be visiting that game come the week do play as a game to watch. It will all depend on how everyone comes out of the gate. 

We will have a feature team preview on NBP though. Each team is really different when picking which games are the ones to circle. Doesn't mean that McCarthy vs NBP won't be important, because every game in the Gold Coast this year is important considering the schedule. 

Thanks Josh.  I wasn't trying to make a federal case out of the read. It was a great preview, I just thought Davis was relevant to the article which emphasized McCarthy's loss at RB.  I had also heard about Davis rumored to be over at Central in the spring but did not want to post till more confirmation...

The Coral Springs Charter game is surely a good story-line with two undefeated 2015  Independent Champions clashing ...I hear ya....I just like reading up and get a little over-detail-oriented sometimes...always game to put  my two cents in to hopefully keep the chatter going. I am probably one of the few guys in here that is intrigued by Gold Coast Conference/Independent league football.   NBP or Coral Springs Charter - Either way, Archbishop McCarthy will likely be the team everyone  is trying to knock off in that conference.

You obviously didn't need to explain in full detail what happened with Davis in the article, but it I see how that happened and I do appreciate a response from the owner of floridahsfootball.com. Little things like that is what separates floridahsfootball.com from the rest!

Take care of that internet! 

Appreciate that Broward! 

I believe in doing things the right way here and it was only going to come out sooner or later as to where he went, so just go ahead and get out there so that way everyone understands he is gone and that means it is time for the next man up for whoever that might be.

I am getting excited about the season just doing the previews and reading the previews that do come in!

http://floridahsfootball.com/2016/07/14/2016-preview-guide-clearwater-central-catholic-marauders-team-preview/

Just read the Clearwater Central Catholic team preview written by Josh.  Very detailed and informative and when you read about a 3A school getting an OTackle  transfer committed to Notre Dame, there is no doubt that this program is all business in 2016!  

http://floridahsfootball.com/2016/07/15/2016-preview-guide-st-cloud-bulldogs-team-preview/

More great work.  I hope everyone is reading these team previews.  They are up to date, detailed, and just all around great information!

St. Cloud (5-0 in District) and Harmony (4-1 in District) ran away with this District in 2015.  I think this 7A-5 District will be will more balanced in 2016.  Although St. Cloud could likely be down a bit... Harmony, Lake Nona, Celebration, East River, and Liberty should all be improved programs.  

Great preview on St. Cloud. They should battle for the district. Although Boone beat them 21-0 in one half of play, they have talent and should secure a playoff spot. One correction: East Ridge is * as a district game, but in fact isn't. East Ridge is in 7a-4 with a bunch of other Orlando area schools and West Port from Ocala. 

Great preview on St. Cloud. They should battle for the district. Although Boone beat them 21-0 in one half of play, they have talent and should secure a playoff spot. One correction: East Ridge is * as a district game, but in fact isn't. East Ridge is in 7a-4 with a bunch of other Orlando area schools and West Port from Ocala. 

I got to fix that. Thanks for catching that!

Excellent preview on Bishop Moore. They will certainly be one of the best teams in the Orlando area. American Heritage must be the favorite in 5a South, but I expect Bishop Moore to be a worthy opponent. 

I would not put much stock in the loss to Dp. The game was even and Dp., despite the loss of a couple of its players to TFA, is still a very solid team.

Cocoa review was solid.  17 returning starters plus many incoming transfers.  TCA @ Cocoa should be getting more hype!

Also @ Jason Beede , I think there may be a few more Cocoa transfers.  Possbly a couple from Rockledge. 2017 DE/T  Adrian "AJ" Murray might be one.

Since the information we had was provided to us by Coach Wilkinson directly through the questionnaire, we were likely unaware their might have been a couple of more.

Give you my honest assessment on Cocoa. If they don't win it all in 4A this year they could go down at the best squad they had that didn't reach the mountain top. 

(NOTE: I do read through all the previews, before they are posted, especially the ones I have not written. Just reading some of the outlooks on these teams is fun and really eye opening). 

Since the information we had was provided to us by Coach Wilkinson directly through the questionnaire, we were likely unaware their might have been a couple of more.

Give you my honest assessment on Cocoa. If they don't win it all in 4A this year they could go down at the best squad they had that didn't reach the mountain top.

(NOTE: I do read through all the previews, before they are posted, especially the ones I have not written. Just reading some of the outlooks on these teams is fun and really eye opening).

Hope cocoa has one hell of a dline cause BTW oline are HUGH!! Good work tho Josh....

Cocoa are going to have a lot of hungry Seniors. I know BTW has gotten better but Cocoa quietly has as well. Let's see what happens when Cocoa plays TCA. If they beat them or hang within 10, I think Cocoa could be a threat to BTW IMO.

Agreed!