Plant District Champs

181pl

Dang, I'm feeling pretty proud of my post from August 7th.  :P      It was probably too long for most people to read, but towards the end, I had this to say:

"Plant likely will struggle at the beginning of this season.  The play Wharton in the Kickoff Classic, then open with Tampa Bay Tech, followed by Berkeley on the road.  After that, they've got a chance to win seven, if not all, of their remaining eight games."

Plant lost their opener to TBT (close game that they probably should have won), then lost to Berkeley.  Since then, they've rattled off eight wins in a row, including all three district games.  If seeded high enough, they could win a couple of games in the playoffs, but they probably don't have the horses to make a deep run this year. 

In any event, this proves once and for all that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.   B)

34 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Dang, I'm feeling pretty proud of my post from August 7th.  :P      It was probably too long for most people to read, but towards the end, I had this to say:

"Plant likely will struggle at the beginning of this season.  The play Wharton in the Kickoff Classic, then open with Tampa Bay Tech, followed by Berkeley on the road.  After that, they've got a chance to win seven, if not all, of their remaining eight games."

Plant lost their opener to TBT (close game that they probably should have won), then lost to Berkeley.  Since then, they've rattled off eight wins in a row, including all three district games.  If seeded high enough, they could win a couple of games in the playoffs, but they probably don't have the horses to make a deep run this year. 

In any event, this proves once and for all that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.   B)

I think Plant makes at least the Regional final. 

On 10/29/2022 at 6:15 PM, 181pl said:

The first step is to recruit the hallways. Get the guys you can. Make improvements and then the stars will start showing back up.Plus you need quality coaching and good program support which Plant has.

I wish ALL coaches, band directors, club sponsors, and principals understood this. Every kid needs an opportunity to feel part of something bigger than themselves. Too many athletic kids walking hallways, but not in a sport or anything athletic. Heck, even unathletic kids can be part of your program, some coaches give up way too early on kids if they aren't showing out by end of freshman season. Maybe that kid learns to run the camera equipment, maybe they make hype videos, maybe they just never were encouraged to play because they were always over the weight limit and were mocked.
Coaches NEED to be on campus and not expect that a simple announcement over a loud speaker is going to get a kid playing.

9 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I wish ALL coaches, band directors, club sponsors, and principals understood this. Every kid needs an opportunity to feel part of something bigger than themselves. Too many athletic kids walking hallways, but not in a sport or anything athletic. Heck, even unathletic kids can be part of your program, some coaches give up way too early on kids if they aren't showing out by end of freshman season. Maybe that kid learns to run the camera equipment, maybe they make hype videos, maybe they just never were encouraged to play because they were always over the weight limit and were mocked.
Coaches NEED to be on campus and not expect that a simple announcement over a loud speaker is going to get a kid playing.

Working the halls is what we do every day. From players to coaches even admin helps. Our situation may be different than others. I am not in their halls so I cant attest to what goes on. We commonly hear, football sucks so we arent going to play! I only play basketball or another sport! I work lunch duty as a volunteer to make myself present and available to all the student body. My players are most likely the best help recruiting the halls. This year we are experiencing a change. We still have kids changing their mind and wanting to jump on the band wagon. But, we finally have a band wagon worth jumping on. We never quit coaching a player. Doesnt matter how skilled they are, or their lack of skill. We are teaching football 101 every day as most of our kids never played before high school.  We have converted some of the kids who wanted to quit for various reasons to managers, permanent ball boys or what ever else that could keep them in and interested.

4 hours ago, Beek said:

Working the halls is what we do every day. From players to coaches even admin helps. Our situation may be different than others. I am not in their halls so I cant attest to what goes on. We commonly hear, football sucks so we arent going to play! I only play basketball or another sport! I work lunch duty as a volunteer to make myself present and available to all the student body. My players are most likely the best help recruiting the halls. This year we are experiencing a change. We still have kids changing their mind and wanting to jump on the band wagon. But, we finally have a band wagon worth jumping on. We never quit coaching a player. Doesnt matter how skilled they are, or their lack of skill. We are teaching football 101 every day as most of our kids never played before high school.  We have converted some of the kids who wanted to quit for various reasons to managers, permanent ball boys or what ever else that could keep them in and interested.

This post reminds me that high school sports are the best drug, crime and drop-out prevention program in existence.  And football is the best example of this.