2023 Transfers

PinellasFB

3 hours ago, PinellasFB said:

I was just poking around a few schools and noticed some transfers quietly happened.  

Tampa Bay Tech:  4-star OL Ziyare Addsion Sumner HS->TBT, 3-star QB Logan Rodgers Jefferson HS->TBT

Who else?

Rodgers' stay at TBT may be short-lived.   He was on campus first of the year and was with the team for Spring practice, but a rising TBT junior apparently got the QB1 nod over the former Dragon.  Speculation is that Rodgers will move again before fall ball starts up.   

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

It's amazingly strange how many families from the Tampa Bay area over the years, who have had talented sons playing high school football, have made the decision to move down to the Venice area prior to their son's senior year (and how many have moved back to the Tampa Bay area within a year).   I suspect, one day, the story will be told. 

For what it's worth, I understand there are some upset Carrollwood Day parents; for Venice's sake, I hope this one was done cleanly.  

49 minutes ago, Perspective said:

It's amazingly strange how many families from the Tampa Bay area over the years, who have had talented sons playing high school football, have made the decision to move down to the Venice area prior to their son's senior year (and how many have moved back to the Tampa Bay area within a year).   I suspect, one day, the story will be told. 

For what it's worth, I understand there are some upset Carrollwood Day parents; for Venice's sake, I hope this one was done cleanly.  

Lot to unpack, but as you rightfully point out it isn't just a few transfers but the talent level of those players that raises eyebrows/questions. 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Charles Lester “encouraged” him to come over. 

16 hours ago, Manatee Magic said:

How can these people afford to just pick and move like this?  How do you know you'll even have a job and a place to stay, and what about the high cost of moving?  And what if your course credits don't transfer to the new school and that delays your graduation?

All very good questions and in my humble opinion is they would need "HELP".   Encouragement as the reason for the move doesn't address any of the issues you brought up. 

Not to mention that Venice High School (like many high schools on this board; not singling them out) is AT CAPACITY for enrollment.  So, an out-of-zone student cannot just roll into the office and enroll.  Theoretically, you would have to first establish residency within the school-zoned boundaries, then enroll in the school, and then be cleared for participation in athletics.  All without any "undue influence or special inducement" that would "encourage" a prospective student to attend that school (see FHSAA Operational Bylaw 6.3).  And perhaps that is exactly what happened in this case and the many other transfers which fall into this category.  Theoretically...

1 hour ago, Dr. D said:

Not to mention that Venice High School (like many high schools on this board; not singling them out) is AT CAPACITY for enrollment.  So, an out-of-zone student cannot just roll into the office and enroll.  Theoretically, you would have to first establish residency within the school-zoned boundaries, then enroll in the school, and then be cleared for participation in athletics.  All without any "undue influence or special inducement" that would "encourage" a prospective student to attend that school (see FHSAA Operational Bylaw 6.3).  And perhaps that is exactly what happened in this case and the many other transfers which fall into this category.  Theoretically...

Always appreciate feedback from someone like yourself that obviously knows the process better than I, which seems to add another degree of difficulty to the move. 

The question I always come back to is would an out-of-zone student who wants to transfer in for a particular high school's Advanced Placement classes be treated the same as a stud athlete under the same circumstances.  I suspect there is a "waiver" process at many schools that would apply to a high-skilled athlete, but not to your ordinary student.  As a fan of the team, that may be great; but as a parent and taxpayer, I would be very upset.  

But it does matter as a coach dedicated to try and build the program back to respectability before setting higher goals, you gotta keep the kids you invested time in when they were novice to see the results when they mature.  It still is a detriment not to get good players that are zoned to you, but if they choose to attend a different school their freshman year and never set foot on your campus it doesn't disrupt your planning quite as much.  It is definitely a lot more prevalent than we realize as some players are opting to "Trade-up" for exposure, winning, etc... while others are opting to "Trade-down" for playing time to get that same coveted exposure.  Got to be a real headache for all coaches, even power 5 schools in the NCAA.

8 minutes ago, Beek said:

Ray, seems as you may be getting a player back, who played for us in the spring!.... So I have heard!

I have not heard of any movement of Poinciana players to OHS, although a good one in RB Akeem Knox transferred into your school during the second semester.  I have heard from parents that his younger brother Jaquille DL wasn't happy with the transfer and was undecided on his next step because he wanted to remain at OHS.  We would love to keep him in the fold as he is solid but no decision made from what little I hear. 

30 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I have not heard of any movement of Poinciana players to OHS, although a good one in RB Akeem Knox transferred into your school during the second semester.  I have heard from parents that his younger brother Jaquille DL wasn't happy with the transfer and was undecided on his next step because he wanted to remain at OHS.  We would love to keep him in the fold as he is solid but no decision made from what little I hear. 

I know last year you got a handful of kids from Osceola that played big roles and know of only two others that had gone your way that might be in the mix of returning since both are receivers, the Bowser kid and Amir Alli.  Think we have also lost one or two Toho's way.  It is what it is and all you can do is play on.  I would be surprised if the RB returned as we obviously still have Taevion plus they are pretty deep in that backfield with 3 other youngsters. 

On 6/21/2023 at 2:08 PM, Perspective said:

Carrollwood Day can cry me a river as they cherry pick from all the public schools in Tampa Bay area.  They don't like it when someone does it to them I guess?

On 6/23/2023 at 10:21 PM, Manatee Magic said:

At the time I was in school, I always had this ideology that the players were all local from around town.  Some years you might get a few stud players, other years you’ll be down and re-building.  It was more of a local game, my side of town versus yours type deal.

To me this was the beauty of HS ball.  Talent rich areas would always be good but on your side of town that maybe wasn't so talent dense, you still always had that once a decade run where some really good kids moved through your program and had some special years that you would remember for decades.   Now this doesn't happen anymore.  The rich stay rich and the poor stay poor with the HS free agency crisis.

8 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

Carrollwood Day can cry me a river as they cherry pick from all the public schools in Tampa Bay area.  They don't like it when someone does it to them I guess?

Of course they don't like it.   And who knows best how the game is played but someone who plays the game.   Which, in my humble opinion, is why nothing will ever come of the grumbling.  Ultimately, they don't want anyone else peaking behind their curtains. 

So let's say a player on junior varsity at a powerhouse school wants to play on Fridays but gets ousted by out-of-town transfers and can't make the varsity squad.  Sounds fair, right?  So do you ask your parent(s) / legal guardian to move and transfer you to a worse school just so you at least get chance to play somewhere before you graduate?

3 hours ago, Manatee Magic said:

So let's say a player on junior varsity at a powerhouse school wants to play on Fridays but gets ousted by out-of-town transfers and can't make the varsity squad.  Sounds fair, right?  So do you ask your parent(s) / legal guardian to move and transfer you to a worse school just so you at least get chance to play somewhere before you graduate?

This question probably has many factors to consider including years of eligibility, level of performance, importance of that extracurricular activity, proximity to a viable school, etc.. that parents need to weigh in the development of their child.  If he only has 1 year of eligibility left and is truly talented enough to secure a scholarship like the RB example I had previously discussed with Coach Beek in this thread, absolutely.  Go be a star at that other school, especially if it is in the same community.  In this case this young man has worked extremely hard and just happens to be on a squad that has another great player that has been with the program thru youth right into his freshmen season.  He wasn't an out-of-town transfer in this case, but the effect is still the same and I completely understand why this RB left our school for another.  Excellent kid and we wish him the best.  Team sports in my youth were incredibly important coming from another country it help me build friendships, build confidence, acceptance into the community, discipline, hard work, meritocracy and so many other things that were important building blocks.  Definitely there is great value in team sports. 

On 6/25/2023 at 10:35 PM, Beek said:

Not the RB, He is happy to have the ability to show what he can do on his own! Amir will be a great addition with our new QB...

Looks like that is what Akeem has managed already picking up a couple of offers.  Congrats!!  Still would like to keep "Popeye" in the fold. :D