2023 Transfers

PinellasFB

On 6/23/2023 at 10:21 PM, Manatee Magic said:

At the time I was in school, I always had this ideology that the players were all local from around town.  Some years you might get a few stud players, other years you’ll be down and re-building.  It was more of a local game, my side of town versus yours type deal.

The way it should be 

On 6/26/2023 at 6:59 PM, Manatee Magic said:

So let's say a player on junior varsity at a powerhouse school wants to play on Fridays but gets ousted by out-of-town transfers and can't make the varsity squad.  Sounds fair, right?  So do you ask your parent(s) / legal guardian to move and transfer you to a worse school just so you at least get chance to play somewhere before you graduate?

Sit the bench at Manatee or start at Bayshore?  Tough decision 

35 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

Transfers for more playing time seem okay to me.  It's not cherry picking your best players to make a super team and also helps have nots without hurting the losing team.  Seems win-win to me.  

Exactly, that type of move really does help the player/student without crippling the school he left plus it tends to not raise suspicion of foul play. 

23 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

Transfers for more playing time seem okay to me.  It's not cherry picking your best players to make a super team and also helps have nots without hurting the losing team.  Seems win-win to me.  

The realty of high school football is that transfers always have had and always will have a domino effect.  

If Joe Fivestar, a running back, transfers from School A to School B, the kid that was in line to be the starting RB at School B now has a decision to make:  switch positions (if possible), sit the bench or switch schools himself.  If he decides to transfer to School C (in hopes of getting the playing time he would have gotten at School B had not Joe Fivestar stepped in), then he's going to replace the kid who was going to be the starting RB at School C. And so on and so on. 

At some point, it really doesn't matter (other than playing time).  But for the kids who have the potential to earn scholarships, it matters indeed. 

6 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Exactly, that type of move really does help the player/student without crippling the school he left plus it tends to not raise suspicion of foul play. 

It just sucks for the kid who was going to be the starter at the school where the "departing kid" transfers into.  

But such is life, I guess. 

22 minutes ago, Perspective said:

It just sucks for the kid who was going to be the starter at the school where the "departing kid" transfers into.  

But such is life, I guess. 

My take is that school has other holes to fill, so if he was good enough to be RB he can play DB, LB, etc... but I will defer to coaches on this forum to address that.  Your concern about not starting applies to over half the players on every single HS team which sucks, but such is life, I guess. 

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

My take is that school has other holes to fill, so if he was good enough to be RB he can play DB, LB, etc... but I will defer to coaches on this forum to address that.  Your concern about not starting applies to over half the players on every single HS team which sucks, but such is life, I guess. 

Have to disagree with you on this, Ray. If a long time teammate wins the starting slot over me fair and square, I may be disappointed, but I would accept it. But if at the end of the prior season I was number 1 on the depth chart going into next year after accounting for graduation, I would sure as heck be pissed if a 4 star came in and "snatched what was mine." 

In both instances, I would have to evaluate my options. But it is far more likely that  I would transfer in the latter scenario as I would feel betrayed.

47 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Have to disagree with you on this, Ray. If a long time teammate wins the starting slot over me fair and square, I may be disappointed, but I would accept it. But if at the end of the prior season I was number 1 on the depth chart going into next year after accounting for graduation, I would sure as heck be pissed if a 4 star came in and "snatched what was mine." 

In both instances, I would have to evaluate my options. But it is far more likely that  I would transfer in the latter scenario as I would feel betrayed.

That is the beauty of this forum, each member gets to express his take.  The situation you just laid out and what I described aren't the same thing though.  The back that transferred into Poinciana maybe deserves to be a 3*, definitely not a 4* but is neither.  In addition, I doubt that Poinciana was so stacked with players working their way up and one particular one was under the assumption he was #1 RB on the depth chart and now is pissed he got "screwed".  Quite the opposite, I bet they are happy to have gotten him (both players and coaches) but will defer to Coach Beek to speak on this as I am not that close to their program.  I do harken back to the example I gave a couple of years ago when our starting QB as a junior (Davon Wells) got replaced by Chad Mascoe as the starter his senior year.  He was ecstatic moving to the slot where he thrived, got a scholarship at Long Island Univ. and believe he earned the offensive player of the year for their conference in the '22-'23 season.   But I will concede your example "COULD" upset the applecart, but if I were a betting man my money says nobody left Poinciana for this reason. 

I am not a fan of out-of-zone transfers as I have stated numerous times.  My position is and has been they sit for a year unless they actually make a permanent move into that school district.  But my position is mute as those aren't the rules and my take in this thread is I can see positives at times within the current rules.  Last year, Poinciana benefited tremendously from a group of 4, 5, maybe 6 kids going from OHS (where they were not starters) to their school and helping them to their best season in school history.  I celebrated that then as I do now.  Not every situation is the same and you have to look at each individually.  Again I do agree with some of the examples given it can be very frustrating for a young man who thought he had earned his opportunity and lost it thru no fault of his own.   Another element to consider in this latest discussion is most HS teams don't have the numbers to fill all positions with adequate personnel.  Thus, many are forced to play out of position for the good of the team.   Except as Perspective points out, those that get what they "NEED"!!:D

On 6/28/2023 at 7:47 AM, Ray Icaza said:

Looks like that is what Akeem has managed already picking up a couple of offers.  Congrats!!  Still would like to keep "Popeye" in the fold. :D

Understand that I have to keep things in perspective. Kids do come and go. Fortunately our less than "state qualifier" team has had positive results with incoming transfers. We have and will continue to gain and loose players. Hopefully we will be able to continue this uptrend. The thing we offer is exactly what you said. not paraphrasing but we give kids the opportunity to be the big fish in the small pond. We have many connections and get kids offers. They may not be the big D1 offers some kids think that they deserve, but we look for a good fit for them, financially or educationally. But since I have been there, every kid that was looking for an offer has received one. I will not say that every kid took that offer as some had inflated sense of worth or didnt want to spend the money. But an offer that is real is a offer that is real. 

My plan is that this will be our last year as an independent in fhsaa. If we are able to pull off a successful season, which would be a record for this school. We will attempt to be back in a district and compete!

As for "popeye" he is back at Osceola.  Like I said kids kids come and they will go. School of choice is a whole different issue, which is already being discussed. My personal opinions seem to really parallel yours. 

What we offer is a place for kids to shine within their abilities. We offer a coaching staff that will work our butts off to get them recruited. Hopefully after this season we will have been able to turn Poinciana around into a team that will be able to at least contend for victories in conference. At last count PHS has only won 3 district match-ups in the schools history, and I was there for 1, as an assistant coach. 

4 minutes ago, Beek said:

Understand that I have to keep things in perspective. Kids do come and go. Fortunately our less than "state qualifier" team has had positive results with incoming transfers. We have and will continue to gain and loose players. Hopefully we will be able to continue this uptrend. The thing we offer is exactly what you said. not paraphrasing but we give kids the opportunity to be the big fish in the small pond. We have many connections and get kids offers. They may not be the big D1 offers some kids think that they deserve, but we look for a good fit for them, financially or educationally. But sense I have been there, every kid that was looking for an offer has received one. I will not say that every kid took that offer as some had inflated sense of worth or didnt want to spend the money. But an offer that is real is a offer that is real. 

My plan is that this will be our last year as an independent in fhsaa will be our last. If we are able to pull off a successful season, which would be a record for this school. We will attempt to be back in a district and compete!

As for "popeye" he is back at Osceola.  Like I said kids kids come and they will go. School of choice is a whole different issue, which is already being discussed. My personal opinions seem to really parallel yours. 

What we offer is a place for kids to shine within their abilities. We offer a coaching staff that will work our butts off to get them recruited. Hopefully after this season we will have been able to turn Poinciana around into a team that will be able to at least contend for victories in conference. At last count PHS has only won 3 district match-ups in the schools history, and I was there or 1, as an assistant coach. 

I do sincerely have admiration for all coaches that sacrifice so much for their kids, trying to give them a fighting chance in this crazy world.  Especially for those that toil under the radar with little recognition much less financial incentive.  Keep up the good work Coach as obviously your kids know your heart is in the right place which means so much, because if it isn't they see right thru it. 

5 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

That is the beauty of this forum, each member gets to express his take.  The situation you just laid out and what I described aren't the same thing though.  The back that transferred into Poinciana maybe deserves to be a 3*, definitely not a 4* but is neither.  In addition, I doubt that Poinciana was so stacked with players working their way up and one particular one was under the assumption he was #1 RB on the depth chart and now is pissed he got "screwed".  Quite the opposite, I bet they are happy to have gotten him (both players and coaches) but will defer to Coach Beek to speak on this as I am not that close to their program.  I do harken back to the example I gave a couple of years ago when our starting QB as a junior (Davon Wells) got replaced by Chad Mascoe as the starter his senior year.  He was ecstatic moving to the slot where he thrived, got a scholarship at Long Island Univ. and believe he earned the offensive player of the year for their conference in the '22-'23 season.   But I will concede your example "COULD" upset the applecart, but if I were a betting man my money says nobody left Poinciana for this reason. 

Though I am not intimately familiar with Poinciana's situation, based on what their coach has posted here, I am inclined to agree with you in this situation. However, I am aware of other situations this year and over the last several, where such transfers hurt loyal, quality kids who had patiently waited their turn and who ended up not being served well for their dedication. Fortunately, at Apopka this has largely not been the case, mostly due to the fact that the program is not a large player in the transfer market. 

19 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

I do sincerely have admiration for all coaches that sacrifice so much for their kids, trying to give them a fighting chance in this crazy world.  Especially for those that toil under the radar with little recognition much less financial incentive.  Keep up the good work Coach as obviously your kids know your heart is in the right place which means so much, because if it isn't they see right thru it. 

By the way, my guess is the coaching staff at Osceola will be happy knowing "Popeye" will stay with the Kowboys for his junior year.

The funny thing is people only care about athletic transfers. No one cares about the 5 star Tuba player who moved into the school with the better band program. No one bats an eye when a child prodigy moves from a random school to a more academically rigorous one. 

Point is an athlete and their family wants what’s best for them. If transferring to a power means more exposure, better comp etc then who are we to judge? And if you believe a team is recruiting then send your proof to the FHSAA. And if not then who are you/we to judge what a family does for their kid? 

13 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

The funny thing is people only care about athletic transfers. No one cares about the 5 star Tuba player who moved into the school with the better band program. No one bats an eye when a child prodigy moves from a random school to a more academically rigorous one. 

Point is an athlete and their family wants what’s best for them. If transferring to a power means more exposure, better comp etc then who are we to judge? And if you believe a team is recruiting then send your proof to the FHSAA. And if not then who are you/we to judge what a family does for their kid? 

I don't know about that Nolebull . . . I suspect the high school band and high school chess club message boards have been lighting up lately . . . filled will vigorous discussion and debate about this very topic. 

Oh, and be careful what you wish for . . . one of these days, the FHSAA may very well grow another pair.  B)