Cocoa demolishes 2S

VeniceIndianFan

5 hours ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

With FSU High graduating 8 offensive starters, it looks like Cocoa is set to coast through 2S with minimal strife. Will Cocoa see any competition in the playoffs? Or will the Tigers coast and claim yet another championship fairly easily? 

FSU still has some play makers on their team that are rising seniors and Bradford has been doing a lot of talking about how they have something for Cocoa but I don't see it happening. They did get a few transfers there but I don't see them scoring much on Cocoa and Cocoa has a stacked receiving Corp still. Their offensive line and front seven on defense are all returning from last season, so that experience will be key for a dynamic run to their sixth title. Only team that will stop Cocoa in 2S will be Cocoa again. I see them squeaking by both Jones and Treasure Coast in competitive games between 3-10 points spread. The Venice game should be a great game since it's a home game for Cocoa. The STA game will be another learning experience that will help expose where they need to improve. Seminole should be good as well but I see Cocoa getting revenge and pulling away late.

6 hours ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

I can see Cocoa's entire team being better than last year. Receiving corps is even better than last year. Every game they play is going to be competitive. Can't wait to watch them play STA!

Receiving corps lost their top and most explosive upperclassmen to MCC. And a couple transferred out but they should be on par with the past couple seasons. Still don't know what the running game, new QB and DB's are gonna look like as a whole. But the DBs all have experience since they got playing time young

On 7/13/2023 at 8:03 AM, FBGUY1989 said:

Well Cocoa would be battle tested especially with St. Thomas on their schedule.

It's true to anybody that follows HSFB that Cocoa is NEVER one to back down from a challenge! But truthfully, I don't think that any team in 2S is coming within 17 points of them. Cocoa is just that good. 

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Cocoa will steamroll and then you will hear crying for a 10th, 11th and 12th classification. 

Pretty soon each team will win their own state championship. Just suit up and the award is yours. You can order your ring when you order your fall practice gear 

Although facetious, your analysis is undoubtedly correct. The FHSAA is corrupt from top to bottom, and they want no part of trying to solve the competitive imbalance. They don't care about teams having to travel 2 hours for district games, 50+ point playoff blowouts, or kids potentially getting injured due to playing teams that are vastly physically superior. None of it. All they care about is padding their own pockets. More playoff and state championship games = more money and that's all they care about. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the FHSAA found a way to get a 10th classification out of all of this nonsense. 

8 hours ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

Go 15-0 with the kind of schedule Cocoa is playing and you'll have a serious argument for being top 10 nationally!

Going undefeated with that schedule would be tough for them ending it as state Champs with 2 losses max would be the most likely outcome. But since they are starting out in the top 50 if they did manage to go undefeated they would've played and beat atleast 6 or 7 teams in the top 300 with 1 in the top 10 and I believe 3 or 4 in the top 150

15 hours ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

Although facetious, your analysis is undoubtedly correct. The FHSAA is corrupt from top to bottom, and they want no part of trying to solve the competitive imbalance. They don't care about teams having to travel 2 hours for district games, 50+ point playoff blowouts, or kids potentially getting injured due to playing teams that are vastly physically superior. None of it. All they care about is padding their own pockets. More playoff and state championship games = more money and that's all they care about. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the FHSAA found a way to get a 10th classification out of all of this nonsense. 

Agree 100 percent. Been saying it for years. More classes means more playoff games means more gate money for the FHSAA. They don’t give a shit about student athletes or coaches. Every choice they make it always money first. We should have no more than 6 classes with large districts of teams all around each other. Ease on travel, all the games mean more, much more competitive playoff and champ games. But less money for the FHSAA so no dice!!!!!

On 7/14/2023 at 7:16 PM, VeniceIndianFan said:

Let some other public school in 2S recruit up a team and that school ends up beating Cocoa and you'll see demands for an investigation quick.

2 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Let some other public school in 2S recruit up a team and that school ends up beating Cocoa and you'll see demands for an investigation quick.

We need fewer classes. Too much power became consolidated into too few teams when the FHSAA decided to expand to 9 classifications. This is why you can practically write in the state championships now. These teams will mostly have cakewalk regions to get there.  If a team gets transfers and is able to compete with Cocoa in 2S then so be it. Cocoa is going to steamroll until proven otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

We need fewer classes. Too much power became consolidated into too few teams when the FHSAA decided to expand to 9 classifications. This is why you can practically write in the state championships now. These teams will mostly have cakewalk regions to get there.  If a team gets transfers and is able to compete with Cocoa in 2S then so be it. Cocoa is going to steamroll until proven otherwise. 

I've been saying this for years, why do a population report for classification when multiple transfers aren't factored in? I said it back when Cocoa was 4A that they really should have been in 6a or 7a

36 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I've been saying this for years, why do a population report for classification when multiple transfers aren't factored in? I said it back when Cocoa was 4A that they really should have been in 6a or 7a

Agreed. The rich will always get richer. The kids on the playing field are infinitely more important than how many kids are in your school. If you’re going to get 8+ high-end transfers a year you should be able to compete with virtually anyone in your classification. This is why I think that the metro/suburban split wasn’t necessarily a mistake, but adding a ninth classification to the system certainly was. 

28 minutes ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

Agreed. The rich will always get richer. The kids on the playing field are infinitely more important than how many kids are in your school. If you’re going to get 8+ high-end transfers a year you should be able to compete with virtually anyone in your classification. This is why I think that the metro/suburban split wasn’t necessarily a mistake, but adding a ninth classification to the system certainly was. 

If limits are not going to be placed on transfers, or a rule isn't going to be made to require them sit out a year, then I think the only other fair option would be an adjustment to classification.