Congrats to The DREADNAUGHTS!!

Nulli Secundus

Congrats to the Naughts.  Venice came in loaded with offensive weapons.  QB, wide receivers and terrific running backs to go along with an excellent offensive line...... basically an offensive Juggernaut.  But like last year, the defense had no answer for a determined ground game.  Despite playing without an effective QB ( ALL heart) in the second half that obviously couldn't throw a pass, simply ran it down their throat.  Don't know what else to say other than admiration for the Lakeland squad for a total team win that most thought was not possible. 

I don't think they could've made it all 4 quarters without a Qb who could throw. The early completions helped keep Venice from selling out to stop the run. And the success, coupled with Venice's fast pace, served to wear down the undersized Venice front seven so that they could pound it the rest of the way.

2 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

I don't think they could've made it all 4 quarters without a Qb who could throw. The early completions helped keep Venice from selling out to stop the run. And the success, coupled with Venice's fast pace, served to wear down the undersized Venice front seven so that they could pound it the rest of the way.

You are probably right about that, but I think the determination and grit by Zander "INFECTED" the defense in the second half to take control and basically limit what Venice could do other than cheap scores at the end during garbage time. 

I liked the straight ahead, north, south style of the Lakeland running backs. No dancing, no run to the sideline, just cut it up, and drive forward before being knock down. Great instincts, great teaching. A camera kept an eye on retired Lakeland Hall of Fame Head Coach Bill Castle. He loved a good ground game. Wouldn't be surprised if the current staff picked up a few rushing pointers from the old master.

I didn't find out till near the end of the first quarter, that I had the damn Bally sports thing in my cable package! Fiddy thousand channels and not a damn thing worth watching!

On to the game....After watching on my computer and the NFHS network, Lakeland  and Bucholtzzzz and Venice and DeeeLand, I figgered Venice would win, and win biggly!

I was wrong, as the land of Publix, put on a running attack show! Congrats to Lakeland.

My second observation: Vero Beach will never be in the same league!!

On to the new classification and District BS the FHSAA is bringing in 2024...

Merry Christmas all!!

I want to take a moment to acknowledge one of the most important figures in Lakeland football history who's never gotten any credit from anyone under 40, or who started paying attention to Lakeland football post 2003. 

Bill Galloway. He was the OL coach who developed the "Beefaloes" tradition, which is what made Lakeland into the power-running team that goes a long way to explain their sustained success. Galloway left, I believe, after the 2003 season to move to Tennessee. He was with Castle for roughly 20 years. And, when he was there, I can tell you he was almost Coach 1B to Castle's 1A. Castle's offenses in the early years were known for being balanced- they produced a QB who held the NCAA completion percentage for a time (Wayne Peace at Florida).  Galloway's influence probably helps explain the shift to run-dominant offenses in the 1990s. Lakeland won three state titles with Galloway being a crucial part of the staff, and I think his mark carried over to the teams that proceeded his exit. There were some other long-time coaches who deserve credit as well. But, Galloway was a towering figure who functioned almost like a co-head coach with Castle. Lakeland ran for over 1100 yards in two (2) playoff games, mostly from under center, and without a hurry-up approach. The Lakeland tradition of power football, which inspires players today, owes a lot to Galloway.

Congrats to Lakeland. 

Interestingly, if my quick scan of the archives is correct, Lakeland became only the second team since 1963 to win a state title while giving up 48 points or more in a non-OT game.   I suspect Darter saw the first time in 2012 when Apopka topped Cypress Bay 53-50.  The only other time that it happened in any game (since 1963) was in 2010 when Trinity Catholic (Ocala) beat University School (Ft. Lauderdale) 56-55 in triple OT.

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Congrats to Lakeland. 

Interestingly, if my quick scan of the archives is correct, Lakeland became only the second team since 1963 to win a state title while giving up 48 points or more in a non-OT game.   I suspect Darter saw the first time in 2012 when Apopka topped Cypress Bay 53-50.  The only other time that it happened in any game (since 1963) was in 2010 when Trinity Catholic (Ocala) beat University School (Ft. Lauderdale) 56-55 in triple OT.

I did. The Lakeland vs Venice game last night, bore some similarities to the 2012 game. Wider margin of victory, but a game in which the offenses dominated the defenses for the most part.

Just now, DarterBlue2 said:

I did. The Lakeland vs Venice game last night, bore some similarities to the 2012 game. Wider margin of victory, but a game in which the offenses dominated the defenses for the most part.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to throw shade on Lakeland, but I would not have been surprised if I had opened up the Coaches Moving Van thread this morning and seen an opening for a new defensive coordinator at either Lakeland or Venice.  B)

5 hours ago, Perspective said:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to throw shade on Lakeland, but I would not have been surprised if I had opened up the Coaches Moving Van thread this morning and seen an opening for a new defensive coordinator at either Lakeland or Venice.  B)

Give it some time. Offices don’t open until tomorrow morning, lol. 

On 12/9/2023 at 11:26 PM, Nulli Secundus said:

That's all I'll say tonight.  However, thanks to all the Naught supporters and detractors.  You know who your are, LOL.

I thought Venice had too much offense for Lakeland. I was wrong. Buchholz actually gave Lakeland a better game than Venice and but for two questionable coaching calls may have won. Venice, despite scoring a lot of points, never had Lakeland on the ropes and surrendered its best chance when they failed to get even a first down after Lakeland's punt early in the third quarter. 

Congrats to Lakeland. They won this game despite the fact their QB was seriously impaired for a majority of it. 

21 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

I want to take a moment to acknowledge one of the most important figures in Lakeland football history who's never gotten any credit from anyone under 40, or who started paying attention to Lakeland football post 2003. 

Bill Galloway. He was the OL coach who developed the "Beefaloes" tradition, which is what made Lakeland into the power-running team that goes a long way to explain their sustained success. Galloway left, I believe, after the 2003 season to move to Tennessee. He was with Castle for roughly 20 years. And, when he was there, I can tell you he was almost Coach 1B to Castle's 1A. Castle's offenses in the early years were known for being balanced- they produced a QB who held the NCAA completion percentage for a time (Wayne Peace at Florida).  Galloway's influence probably helps explain the shift to run-dominant offenses in the 1990s. Lakeland won three state titles with Galloway being a crucial part of the staff, and I think his mark carried over to the teams that proceeded his exit. There were some other long-time coaches who deserve credit as well. But, Galloway was a towering figure who functioned almost like a co-head coach with Castle. Lakeland ran for over 1100 yards in two (2) playoff games, mostly from under center, and without a hurry-up approach. The Lakeland tradition of power football, which inspires players today, owes a lot to Galloway.

Trail Boss!

On 12/10/2023 at 11:17 AM, Longtime Observer said:

Thanks for the insight. I knew Deland Coach Rick Darlington played for Bill Castle at Lakeland in the 1970's. If coach Galloway was also there at that time it just makes sense he learned blocking fundamentals and techniques from another master, coach Galloway. Now Coach Darlington master's the single wing offense on his own, but it's all built on the rock solid foundation of two other legendary coaches. It's no wonder how these three masters have been so successful. 

6 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

If the system wasn’t so screwed up these would have been semi final games. 

STA should be playing Lakeland for the STATE championship.

Instead both won regional championships. 

sad 

@nolebull813 the system may be screwed up. I will agree on that. But the finals this year, with the exception of one or maybe two games, were super entertaining.