SURVYE SAYS - Coaches are not on board with changes to classifications leaving them unhappy with the FHSAA

Joshua Wilson

After running a survey for a while for coaches to complete and nearly 200 responses, I have published the results of that survey along with a separate article with dozens and dozens of quotes from coaches around the state expressing everything from disgust for the FHSAA to expressing happiness for the recent changes to the classifications.

Below are the links to the stories to read: 

PART I: Coaches are not on board with changes to classifications leaving them unhappy with the FHSAA - https://floridahsfootball.com/2024/01/04/survey-says-part-i-coaches-are-not-on-board-with-changes-to-classifications-leaving-them-unhappy-with-the-fhsaa/

PART II: The best of the best in comments from coaches who completed our survey - https://floridahsfootball.com/2024/01/04/survey-says-part-ii-the-best-of-the-best-in-comments-from-coaches-who-completed-our-survey/

52 minutes ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

I am saying that the gainesville area coaches this guy spoke to hate new idea because they liked being separate and in easy division. Coca never backs down from tough competition as everyone has seen by your schedule and success in entire state. 

If the South Florida schools are so big and bad why do they care? Sounds like they might be scared of competition because they don't wanna play each other? Or they just want a trophy given to them?

21 hours ago, smashmouth80 said:

If the South Florida schools are so big and bad why do they care? Sounds like they might be scared of competition because they don't wanna play each other? Or they just want a trophy given to them?

That was a BIG gripe back in the 90's.

If you need further proof as to the level of unhappiness HS have with the new FHSAA re-districting plan simply check this article out about 8 Orange county schools opting to go independent instead.  That is a pretty significant number. 

Orange County pulls football teams out of FHSAA districts (orlandosentinel.com)

This alone is probably not enough to get the attention of the head-in-the-sand FHSAA, but it will be interesting to see the final total of schools choosing to go independent.  The one silver lining, as mentioned in Josh's other article, is the remote possibility of contraction of the number of classifications that might be required, if enough teams choose to go independent.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:58 AM, Ray Icaza said:

If you need further proof as to the level of unhappiness HS have with the new FHSAA re-districting plan simply check this article out about 8 Orange county schools opting to go independent instead.  That is a pretty significant number. 

Unfortunately the Orlando Sentinel won't let me view the article, because I don't subscribe to them.

5 hours ago, imjustafan2 said:

Unfortunately the Orlando Sentinel won't let me view the article, because I don't subscribe to them.

I don't subscribe either, but you didn't miss anything.  The meat and potatoes of the article boils down to 8 outclassed football programs making the move to go independent with Orange county's blessing.  Unfortunately, the title is misleading, almost clickbait-ish.

8 hours ago, Dr. D said:

This alone is probably not enough to get the attention of the head-in-the-sand FHSAA, but it will be interesting to see the final total of schools choosing to go independent.  The one silver lining, as mentioned in Josh's other article, is the remote possibility of contraction of the number of classifications that might be required, if enough teams choose to go independent.

It won't mean squat until a county AD, multiple in fact remove ALL their schools.  This is nothing more than the tried and true speech in college:  Look to your left, look to your right.  Some of you will not make to graduation.

Regarding districts, a few schools may be shuffled around to even the numbers as that solution is easier than completely reworking.  

On 1/12/2024 at 10:58 AM, Ray Icaza said:

I love this. These teams had ZERO chance at a title anyways. Doesn’t matter the system. Hell they might not have won the SSAC title. Lol. 

I say trim the fat and get rid of all the teams that can’t compete and take up space. 

More major counties need to do this.

18 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

I love this. These teams had ZERO chance at a title anyways. Doesn’t matter the system. Hell they might not have won the SSAC title. Lol. 

I say trim the fat and get rid of all the teams that can’t compete and take up space. 

More major counties need to do this.

Level of a teams competitiveness/proficiency has ZERO to do with their ability to identify right from wrong.  Simply the old adage of attack the messenger rather than the message, sure fire sign of stupidity. 

19 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Level of a teams competitiveness/proficiency has ZERO to do with their ability to identify right from wrong.  Simply the old adage of attack the messenger rather than the message, sure fire sign of stupidity. 

Who is attacking the messenger? 

There’s no excuse. Take Edgewater for example. From 2012-2016 (5 years) they had 5 different coaches and went a combined 19-35 including an 0-10 disaster in 2016. They are in shambles. They look like Colonial and University. They should go independent and blame everyone else for their problems

or……….

Keep grinding and make a big time hire!! Cameron Duke came and changed the whole culture! Attracted talent and turned them into a state power! Since 2017 they have gone 75-14 including 2 championship appearances. 

You gotta be committed to getting guys to lead the program who know how to attract talent and restore a winning culture. 

Same thing with Jones. 5 years from 2011-2015 they have multiple coaches go 23-36 and don’t compete for nothing. 

SSAC here we come right??

WRONG!!!!!

Let’s make an impact hire!  Elijah Williams come on down. Instantly 1st year he goes 9-2. And he’s gone 82-19 since he was hired and they a threat every year. 

No crying. No complaining. Do better. 

The teams that are dropping out should drop out and they can always come back if they have a Edgewater type off Renaissance. Unfortunately the FHSAA ignoring recruiting and the open enrollment process  is creating 2 classes in high school football. The extreme haves and the have nots. Maybe something will be done like promotion down the road but until a ton of teams leave the FHSAA, thing will remain status quo. 

Christ, why can't we just go back to the late '90s when the district champ and runner-up got in.  6 classes, done.  Before that, only district winners got in.  Then they made a major change and added another round and let the runner-ups in and that was perfect.  Best change they ever made and should have left it that way.

4 hours ago, Manatee Magic said:

Christ, why can't we just go back to the late '90s when the district champ and runner-up got in.  6 classes, done.  Before that, only district winners got in.  Then they made a major change and added another round and let the runner-ups in and that was perfect.  Best change they ever made and should have left it that way.

Something else to think about.

1963 - 1 class - 1 year
1964 - 2 classes - 1 year
1965 - 1967: 3 classes - 3 years
1968 - 1984: 4 classes - 17 years
1985 - 1998: 5 classes - 14 years 
Does anyone remember what event(s) prompted the accelerated addition of classes below?
-------------------------
1999 - 2002: 6 classes - 4 years (champ, runner-up, at large)
2003 - 2004: 7 classes - 2 years 
2005 - 2021: 8 classes - 17 years
2022 - 2023: 9 classes - 2 year
2024....: 8 classes - 1st year

8 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Something else to think about.

1963 - 1 class - 1 year
1964 - 2 classes - 1 year
1965 - 1967: 3 classes - 3 years
1968 - 1984: 4 classes - 17 years
1985 - 1998: 5 classes - 14 years 
Does anyone remember what event(s) prompted the accelerated addition of classes below?
-------------------------
1999 - 2002: 6 classes - 4 years (champ, runner-up, at large)
2003 - 2004: 7 classes - 2 years 
2005 - 2021: 8 classes - 17 years
2022 - 2023: 9 classes - 2 year
2024....: 8 classes - 1st year

Horrible. It’s a cash grab. The FHSAA get a cut of every playoff game. So more classes means more games means more money. It’s always about money in the end. It’s never about student athletes