Florida-Georgia Brawl

gatorman-uf

42 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

A critical aspect of martial arts is control.  A famous instructor actually had his students do drills in which they practiced the ability to "flip the switch," one second being in "fight" mode and then quickly transitioning to a calm state. 

Police dogs are no different.  Ever notice how they can "flip the switch" and go from "attack" to "passive" mode on command?   They practice that a lot, and obviously it is pretty important for the dog to listen when his master calls him off.

When I see something like this video, I see an utter lack of control on multiple fronts.  When people bring me "bad" dogs to train, I tell them that many, if not most, behavioral problems are an "owner" issue.  The "owners" in this case are the parents and coaches. 

Guaranteed, this is not the first time such overly aggressive behavior has been exhibited, and it was not nipped in the bud.  We train for aggression in football.  Just as much training needs to be put into discipline and restraint.  Isn't it ironic that the "teachers" of these kids on the field often show utter lack of restraint?  ..and we expect the kids to act differently.:wacko:

I attend the game most years.  It is really Palm Beach County vs South Metro Atlanta.  Last year the folks from Atlanta made it very clear they were not interested in coming to Florida to lose again, and that things would be different in the ATL.  Well they were getting drilled in Atlanta and....

25 minutes ago, Cjm04 said:

I attend the game most years.  It is really Palm Beach County vs South Metro Atlanta.  Last year the folks from Atlanta made it very clear they were not interested in coming to Florida to lose again, and that things would be different in the ATL.  Well they were getting drilled in Atlanta and....

I think this proves in overall talent FL owns GA 

16 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I think this proves in overall talent FL owns GA 

Hold on there, Columbia:rolleyes:   I lived in Georgia for six years-in central GA and north Atlanta-so I know the programs pretty well.  I found the roster of the Georgia team

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/e36455_3e865ae98c454d70896262990c2b6bd1.pdf

I would say that none of the schools those Georgia kids come from are in the top 25 programs in Georgia-maybe 2 or 3 teams from the top 50.  That Georgia all-star team is the equivalent of taking kids only from southwest Florida and passing it off as a Florida all star-team.

Comparing talent on the south side of Atlanta to that on the north and east sides would be like comparing talent from Naples/Fort Myers versus that in Dade and Broward.  The difference is light years.

I do think some of the Georgia teams do not get the love they deserve in the national polls.  There are a lot of very strong teams there that fly under the radar.

Florida has more depth of individual talent, but should considering we have several large metro areas and Georgia only has 1. With the exception of IMG, Georgia's best schools could give Florida's best schools all they could handle in head-to-head competition.

Where you really see a difference between the two states is in Georgia's small, public schools.  There are a lot of very good ones, whereas FL has relatively few.

We have not seen a huge amount of FL/GA matchups over the years. Here are a few below from this decade.  As you'll see, Georgia teams have done well against FL schools.  This is not an all-inclusive list-might be missing some.  And am only considering some of Georgia's better teams, not all.

-Cartersville(4A of 7 classes in Georgia)In 2017 beat our 7A finalist Bartram Trail and Cartersville only made it to the second round of their playoffs

-Buford beat Trinity Christian and Melbourne Central Catholic

-Lowndes beat Plant

-Colquitt County beat Plant and lost to AHP

-Tucker-beat Godby and lost to BTW

-Grayson-lost to IMG, beat Deerfield Beach and Miami Central

Marist-beat Godby

-Valdosta beat Lincoln twice

-Camden County-beat numerous FL teams, including Miami Central, lost to Venice

-Stephenson(only a "B-" Georgia team, not bad but not great) -lost to AHP and lost to Miami Central 21-20 in 2014, when Central won a FL state championship

-Brooks County(only a "B-" Georgia team)-split two games with Madison County

23 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

To my knowledge we didn't have a lot of broward and Dade players so we weren't playing our best anyway lol 

And I'm curious, how many of those were played in Florida 

Does it matter? The travel distance between some of those teams is the same or even less than some matchups between Florida teams.  I don't see any more of a disadvantage for a south FL team to play a GA team than that same S FL team playing a north FL team.  Either way, the visiting team is at a disadvantage for various reasons.

That said, if FL schools are hitting the road to play OOS opponents, it's time to put on our big boy shorts and stop making excuses about losing.  After all, we are supposed to be so superior than just about every other state in terms of talent.  Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head to make these OOS matchups.  If we are going to cry foul when we travel and lose, we should stay home and play.  Otherwise, accept the risks and become so good that you can win even when the odds are stacked against you. 

It's a bit like the problem we have now with teams not wanting to play the FL small school powers.  ie nothing to gain and everything to lose.  In other words, if the home GA team wins a home game vs the visiting FL team it was "expected," so what do they have to gain by playing?  

If we are going to keep moving in the direction of hs football being travel ball, with teams playing multiple opponents from outside one's area, I believe we need to start accepting the "risks" of being the visiting team and move away from playing the "visitor" card whenever we lose.  The kids need to learn how to win on the road, and if they are not disciplined enough to do that, they should not be traveling.  Personally, I think it is a bit much to be expecting 17 year-olds to travel 500+ miles and perform well.  They are kids.  Let them be kids.  If they are good enough, they will be doing more than their share of traveling in college ball.

Having coached in South Florida, Central FL, and GA I can tell you that the only difference talent wise is that there are more people in Florida.  If you were just putting together true all star rosters GA would match Florida on a roster of about 40 or 50 kids.  I coach in the Future Stars Games FL vs GA and its pretty much even.