Coach Pay

gatorman-uf

I agree with the above comment, but I find some of the comments that follow FloridaHSFootball.com tweet are interesting. We have asked this before, but what is the appropriate pay for a football coach here in the state of Florida. From 2011-2012 to 2016-2017, the average pay for a teacher in the state of Florida went from $45,758 to $47,858 or an increase of $2,100. The average salary in the United States for teachers is $58,950. The state of Florida has 170K teachers, in order to make Florida teachers the average of the nation, the state has to allocate 1.9 Billion dollars above what they currently do or about 2% more of their total budget. That means either higher taxes or cutting someplace in the budget.

Additionally, you have a state legislature that is anti-public education and believes vouchers and charter schools are the ONLY answers to education policies. I will never understand why legislators from poor rural areas think vouchers and charter schools are the answer as none of the big name corporations are going to start out building out there as they cannot make enough money in the rural areas. 

I don't buy the argument that a person should just be a coach and receive 100K figures. At the state championship nobody shows up, if you can't put people in the seats for the biggest game of the season then that shows how much commitment the communities have to these sports.

15 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I agree with the above comment, but I find some of the comments that follow FloridaHSFootball.com tweet are interesting. We have asked this before, but what is the appropriate pay for a football coach here in the state of Florida. From 2011-2012 to 2016-2017, the average pay for a teacher in the state of Florida went from $45,758 to $47,858 or an increase of $2,100. The average salary in the United States for teachers is $58,950. The state of Florida has 170K teachers, in order to make Florida teachers the average of the nation, the state has to allocate 1.9 Billion dollars above what they currently do or about 2% more of their total budget. That means either higher taxes or cutting someplace in the budget.

Additionally, you have a state legislature that is anti-public education and believes vouchers and charter schools are the ONLY answers to education policies. I will never understand why legislators from poor rural areas think vouchers and charter schools are the answer as none of the big name corporations are going to start out building out there as they cannot make enough money in the rural areas. 

I don't buy the argument that a person should just be a coach and receive 100K figures. At the state championship nobody shows up, if you can't put people in the seats for the biggest game of the season then that shows how much commitment the communities have to these sports.

This is right on the mark 

Public schools in this state are criminally underfunded but yet they got loads of private schools making money,  but I'm guessing none of the legislative branch send their kids to public schools so they don't care about public schools staying afloat

Bet there a money trail right back to those crooks in office 

22 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I think a lot of the lack of support comes from 2 major root causes

1 is that a lot of people living in FL are not natural born Floridians and in a lot of cases did not graduate from a FL school so they don't have that alumni ties to a school that residents in other states with better fan bases have

Another thing is that FL has turned into a tourist hub so they have more things that would be considered "fun" as opposed to a high school game

The best fan bases in the state are in remote rural areas with nothing to do (for the most part)

Places like Trenton, Madison County, Niceville, ect. 

Kinda surprised that Columbia don't get better support and fill the stands since Lake City a ghost town

As for the right number we shouldn't try to compete with Texas but the state as a whole should at least get teaching pay up to national average and for football coaches (at least head coaches)  i think 10-20k would be a fair number 

Maybe slight increases for assistant coaches as well 

And coaches in other sports probably should get a increase

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

This is right on the mark 

Public schools in this state are criminally underfunded but yet they got loads of private schools making money,  but I'm guessing none of the legislative branch send their kids to public schools so they don't care about public schools staying afloat

Bet there a money trail right back to those crooks in office 

You need to run for office as soon as you are able, Columbia Fan. I think your heart is in the right place and you would try and shake up the corrupt politicians in the State Capitol!

8 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

You need to run for office as soon as you are able, Columbia Fan. I think your heart is in the right place and you would try and shake up the corrupt politicians in the State Capitol!

Problem is money is power and the moment i called out the corruption they would probably pay people to have my chances of winning office sabotaged 

45 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

He would have to beat this guy.  Rumor has it he spent too much time on high school football forums early in life.

He wears five ties, and a boot for a hat. And he's running for President

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Problem is money is power and the moment i called out the corruption they would probably pay people to have my chances of winning office sabotaged 

Fighting for what's right is never easy. I believe you could do it and I will even volunteer my time to help your campaign!

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Nothing will change in Florida as long as it remains a retirement state with no state taxes.  I would gladly pay a state tax if it benefits the school system.  

I would to but knowing this state they would put a state tax then just give extra money to private schools and academies like IMG 

The people in charge of the state don't care about public schools 

Where in the world are you coming up with the idea that the state of Florida gives money to private schools and to IMG? Private schools support themselves through tuition.  Do you realize how much it would cost the communities in taxes to support the public schools if there were no private schools and all the private students went to public school? It costs on average $10, 615 per year for each public school student. Just imagine if all the private students jammed up the public schools and what it would cost. By the way, the state did give IMG funds but only after the IMG corporation brought in $1.5 billion to the state in investment. Please stop bashing private schools when you don't have all the facts and figures. The poor performances by many public schools on the football field has little to no bearing on what the private schools do or don't do. It has more bearing on players and coaches bouncing around from one team to another year in and year out. Unless you are building a one shot all star team then importing talent, just to work on attaining a championship, doesn't make for continuity and stability. And, IMO, the reason that Florida football coaches do not get paid as much as they probably should be is because Florida cost of living is pretty low compared to most other states. It's a simple fact of supply and demand under our capitalistic economic system. The state does not pay teachers or coaches salaries. The community pays those salaries out of local property taxes. Property taxes are very low in comparison with other states and thus only so much money is there for salaries.

8 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Where in the world are you coming up with the idea that the state of Florida gives money to private schools and to IMG? Private schools support themselves through tuition.  Do you realize how much it would cost the communities in taxes to support the public schools if there were no private schools and all the private students went to public school? It costs on average $10, 615 per year for each public school student. Just imagine if all the private students jammed up the public schools and what it would cost. By the way, the state did give IMG funds but only after the IMG corporation brought in $1.5 billion to the state in investment. Please stop bashing private schools when you don't have all the facts and figures. The poor performances by many public schools on the football field has little to no bearing on what the private schools do or don't do. It has more bearing on players and coaches bouncing around from one team to another year in and year out. Unless you are building a one shot all star team then importing talent, just to work on attaining a championship, doesn't make for continuity and stability. And, IMO, the reason that Florida football coaches do not get paid as much as they probably should be is because Florida cost of living is pretty low compared to most other states. It's a simple fact of supply and demand under our capitalistic economic system. The state does not pay teachers or coaches salaries. The community pays those salaries out of local property taxes. Property taxes are very low in comparison with other states and thus only so much money is there for salaries.

The state gives a standard amount to public schools

It's called state funding

That number is extremely low, I've seen how tight schools are when they can't get better equipment because of cost issues 

Another thing that the state does that screws public schools 

You said they give funding based on how many students but they don't take the official enrollment numbers, they take the numbers from the day they take count in classrooms,  what does this mean? 

It means that if say 50-100 students are absent the day they take count then those 50-100 students won't count towards the funding numbers so they won't actually receive 10k per student average for the total students,  it will be 10k per student average based on the flawed numbers of the day they took count

Just as wealthy benefactors sponsor professorships at colleges, a great way for an NFL player to give back would be to establish an endowed coaching position at a school, even if it served to simply boost the coach's salary.

With all of the transferring today, I can see things getting complicated, ie you went to a school for 3 years and transferred your senior season.  Which really feels like your alma mater?  Who do you support?  What if you went to 4 different schools like some. 

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Just as wealthy benefactors sponsor professorships at colleges, a great way for an NFL player to give back would be to establish an endowed coaching position at a school, even if it served to simply boost the coach's salary.

With all of the transferring today, I can see things getting complicated, ie you went to a school for 3 years and transferred your senior season.  Which really feels like your alma mater?  Who do you support?  What if you went to 4 different schools like some. 

Well i lucky to have went to 1 school for all of high school, there is no doubt for me who I'm bonded to 

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

we all know you  :wub: the

Image result for gainesville hurricanes logo

Yeah

I love watching us beat them like a drum, if i could have us beat them every single sport in the playoffs and ensure Gainesville high school never wins a state championship again it would be almost as fulfilling as winning a state championship ourselves to me