Miami Schools Championship Run

Mashburns

I don't go back that far when dealing with historical streaks in High School football but I know plenty of you guys are when I read some of you guys post about the history of the schools and counties. It seems year in and year out the Miami Schools dominate the other counties as a whole, I know every blue moon a school from a different county may upset a School from Miami but for the most part the Schools in Miami pretty much run the state when it comes to championships. My question is has it always been that way? or this just currently whats going on and it changes over time to a different county?  

11 hours ago, Mashburns said:

I don't go back that far when dealing with historical streaks in High School football but I know plenty of you guys are when I read some of you guys post about the history of the schools and counties. It seems year in and year out the Miami Schools dominate the other counties as a whole, I know every blue moon a school from a different county may upset a School from Miami but for the most part the Schools in Miami pretty much run the state when it comes to championships. My question is has it always been that way? or this just currently whats going on and it changes over time to a different county?  

Additional classes has made it easier.  No county in Florida has the sheer amount of schools with the level of depth that can compete in different classes. Dade (yes I know it’s Miami-Dade but I’m old school) has had a great amount of schools reach title games over the decades but it was not an almost guaranteed appearance like it is today.  There was a 14-year period between ‘77 and ‘91 when Dade didn’t win away titles as there were only 4-5 classes and there was more parity.  Today, we have twice that number of classes and unless you have enough good teams in multiple classes, by numbers alone, it would be damn near impossible for Dade not to get a team in the title game.  If you look at Florida most populous counties, there’s almost a direct correlation between population rank and rank in titles.  That’s not always constant as some counties punch higher and others, not so much.

Population                    Titles

1. Miami-Dade            38.5
  2. Broward                   27
  3. Palm Beach             30
  4. Hillsborough           11
  5. Orange                    6.5
  6. Pinellas                    0
  7. Duval                        31
  8. Lee                            0
  9. Polk                          17
  10. Brevard                    14

21.   Escambia              12
     22.   Leon                        21

Leon County has won more titles than 62 of Florida’s 67 counties despite being the 22nd largest Florida county. Escambia makes Hillsborough, Orange, Lee & Pinellas counties look bad in terms of raw numbers and they have a chance to add another title this year. Orange also has 3 chances to increase their title counts.

Orange is actually 6.5 if you count the two titles won by Catholic High school Bishop Moore. 3 Apopka, 2 Bishop Moore, 1 Dr. Phillips and .5 Evans.

But very good post overall. I totally concur that the expansion of classes has helped Dade. That, and the fact that large metro areas have gotten more adept at recruiting. 

10 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Orange is actually 6.5 if you count the two titles won by Catholic High school Bishop Moore. 3 Apopka, 2 Bishop Moore, 1 Dr. Phillips and .5 Evans.

But very good post overall. I totally concur that the expansion of classes has helped Dade. That, and the fact that large metro areas have gotten more adept at recruiting. 

Sorry about that.  The change has been made.  Can’t believe I missed that.

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...for some perspective

1974(4 classes)-2 Dade teams made the playoffs

1984(4 classes)-5 Dade teams made the playoffs

1994(5 classes)-12 Dade teams made the playoffs

2004(7 classes)-18 Dade teams made the playoffs

2014(8 classes)-17 Dade teams made the playoffs

In 2004, 11 of the Dade teams occupied 3 region 3 slots (the remaining 5 were Broward) and all of region 4.  That's huge!  That set up alone meant that at least 1 Dade school was guaranteed a 4th round appearance.  In 2004, there were two.  That's not the only year that scenario came into play but that's a good example of numbers helping the odds of survival.

11 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Additional classes has made it easier.  No county in Florida has the sheer amount of schools with the level of depth that can compete in different classes. Dade (yes I know it’s Miami-Dade but I’m old school) has had a great amount of schools reach title games over the decades but it was not an almost guaranteed appearance like it is today.  There was a 14-year period between ‘77 and ‘91 when Dade didn’t win away titles as there were only 4-5 classes and there was more parity.  Today, we have twice that number of classes and unless you have enough good teams in multiple classes, by numbers alone, it would be damn near impossible for Dade not to get a team in the title game.  If you look at Florida most populous counties, there’s almost a direct correlation between population rank and rank in titles.  That’s not always constant as some counties punch higher and others, not so much.

Population                    Titles

1. Miami-Dade            38.5
  2. Broward                   27
  3. Palm Beach             30
  4. Hillsborough           11
  5. Orange                    6.5
  6. Pinellas                    0
  7. Duval                        31
  8. Lee                            0
  9. Polk                          17
  10. Brevard                    14

21.   Escambia              12
     22.   Leon                        21

Leon County has won more titles than 62 of Florida’s 67 counties despite being the 22nd largest Florida county. Escambia makes Hillsborough, Orange, Lee & Pinellas counties look bad in terms of raw numbers and they have a chance to add another title this year. Orange also has 3 chances to increase their title counts.

This was broken down perfect for me to understand thanks for the information. The Miami Schools are definitely represented very well each year at the championship games and also they travel very well which will make sense for the state to try to get more Miami schools in there.  

13 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Remind me, how do you win half a title?   Only thing I could think of is a shared title.  But how and when did that happen?

1991 Evans and South Ridge were in a tie at the end of regulation when the South Ridge kicker missed wide left in the dying seconds. I think the score was around 22-22 but don't quote me on that. Back then overtime was not played. That tie, led to overtime being instituted in the finals. 

12 hours ago, Mashburns said:

This was broken down perfect for me to understand thanks for the information. The Miami Schools are definitely represented very well each year at the championship games and also they travel very well which will make sense for the state to try to get more Miami schools in there.  

You're welcome!