Quantcast
Jump to content

Recommended Posts


I don't blame them, after that Trainwreck of a meeting on Monday I hope all the SFL counties as well as metros like Orange, Hillsborough, and Duval do the same

 

Heck I hope Columbia considers leaving as well and if you followed Twitter you probably would have seen coach Allen firing on all cylinders against the decision and especially considering we just had a coach out here at Columbia pass away from Covid, we may be a "small county" but we ain't backing the decision by the FHSAA and it's ridiculous that the FHSAA gave in to a few rural nowhere counties and ignored over 90% of the state but I guess that's why the old dude at the beginning of the meeting didn't want the public to be allowed to ask questions until after the vote even after the representative from Tampa called him out on it

Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave the FHSAA benefit of the doubt through this whole thing but the bullcrap I saw in that meeting showed a lack of leadership and I have no confidence in the FHSAA to put the athlete before money and that was shown when they chose to side with a guy who openly said he was backing the idea so he could make a good gate on his KOC

 

I vote #NoConfidence in the FHSAA

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone wants leadership until the leadership starts laying out rules that they disagree with.  

In many respects, the FHSAA Board was/is in a no-win situation, largely because our state is so big and so diverse.  As I've said before, what works for a small, rural county private school may not work for a large Miami-Dade public school.  And vice-versa. 

Understand, at the end of the day, all the FHSAA did was to keep the dates where they were and to essentially allow local districts/counties to decide when and what is best for them.  Admittedly, there are some logical flaws in trying to maintain consistency, while simultaneously being flexible.  

I think what the FHSAA needs to do now is to openly acknowledge and encourage these regional clusters for the 2020-2021 school year.  Let counties that are similarly situated come up with their own practice start date, game schedule and playoff/bowl game formats.   Do away with the state series this year.  If the FHSAA needs to rake 10% off the top of post-season games as an administrative fee to make up for the operating deficit created by a lack of state championship games, I'd probably be OK with that. 

Time to start thinking outside the box before the box collapses under its own weight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Everyone wants leadership until the leadership starts laying out rules that they disagree with.  

In many respects, the FHSAA Board was/is in a no-win situation, largely because our state is so big and so diverse.  As I've said before, what works for a small, rural county private school may not work for a large Miami-Dade public school.  And vice-versa. 

Understand, at the end of the day, all the FHSAA did was to keep the dates where they were and to essentially allow local districts/counties to decide when and what is best for them.  Admittedly, there are some logical flaws in trying to maintain consistency, while simultaneously being flexible.  

I think what the FHSAA needs to do now is to openly acknowledge and encourage these regional clusters for the 2020-2021 school year.  Let counties that are similarly situated come up with their own practice start date, game schedule and playoff/bowl game formats.   Do away with the state series this year.  If the FHSAA needs to rake 10% off the top of post-season games as an administrative fee to make up for the operating deficit created by a lack of state championship games, I'd probably be OK with that. 

Time to start thinking outside the box before the box collapses under its own weight. 

My issue was they hire a medical group to Access the situation but when they gave the recommendation to keep the athletes safe they completely disregarded it but instead chose to listen to a dude who came out saying he needed season to start because his KOC makes 16k in gate

 

 

If that game makes so much bloody money move it to the regular season or play it as a bowl game, just look today at how many counties are shutting down until nearly September, the FHSAA made a decision for a few counties and basically ignored 90% of the state and their own hired medical advice when they didn't get the answer they wanted 

 

In addition based on watching that meeting they were not prepared despite having 2 weeks and had no plan going in

 

And to top it off they didn't want any public feedback until after they made up their mind, probably because had they allowed feedback from schools not represented or coaches not on the board they wouldn't have gotten any support for the decision they made and wanted no opposition to the decision they clearly planned to go forward with regardless what the best of the athletes, coaches and officials were 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to govern - hard.

Trying to govern in the sunshine - harder.

Trying to govern in the sunshine during a pandemic that has affected different geographic areas differently - hardest. 

 

By the way, also remember the various levels of responsibility:  the FHSAA Board of Directors is supposed to make policy decisions; the FHSAA staff is then supposed to carry out those policy decisions.   This is set up similar to public companies where the board sets policy and the officers carry it out.   I think this is why Ms. Otero made some of the comments that she made regarding leadership.  Mr. Tomyn is starting to remind me of Aaron Burr ("Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for").  Someone needs to get in the room where it happens and find a solution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

One of the things I am happiest (not the right word), is that coaches are taking leadership on these issues. 

@ColumbiaHighFan2017class, you know the area well, but there is no way Columbia County doesn't delay sports unless Coach Allen is leading the cause. 

And he was outspoken the moment the meeting happened and he got a lot of support from even SFL from his comments because he stood up for his players and whether he planned to or not he defended SFL as well 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Perspective said:

Trying to govern - hard.

Trying to govern in the sunshine - harder.

Trying to govern in the sunshine during a pandemic that has affected different geographic areas differently - hardest. 

 

By the way, also remember the various levels of responsibility:  the FHSAA Board of Directors is supposed to make policy decisions; the FHSAA staff is then supposed to carry out those policy decisions.   This is set up similar to public companies where the board sets policy and the officers carry it out.   I think this is why Ms. Otero made some of the comments that she made regarding leadership.  Mr. Tomyn is starting to remind me of Aaron Burr ("Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for").  Someone needs to get in the room where it happens and find a solution. 

Coaches from around the state have asked to have a voice on the board 

 

Coaches wanted to have a voice as the meeting happened but the FHSAA board of directors wouldn't allow either

 

Otero (I think was the leader for Tampa area) did call this out in the beginning about why were we not allowing public to give input before a vote was taken and I don't understand it

 

Why were only a few voices allowed on the committee because from people I've spoken to around the state and reading some comments from coaches it don't sound like the people on the board even talked to area coaches (some of them) before the meeting because they were blindsided by it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Coaches from around the state have asked to have a voice on the board 

 

Coaches wanted to have a voice as the meeting happened but the FHSAA board of directors wouldn't allow either

 

Otero (I think was the leader for Tampa area) did call this out in the beginning about why were we not allowing public to give input before a vote was taken and I don't understand it

 

Why were only a few voices allowed on the committee because from people I've spoken to around the state and reading some comments from coaches it don't sound like the people on the board even talked to area coaches (some of them) before the meeting because they were blindsided by it 

Columbia, you raise some good questions, but they are questions that I think have answers. 

If you go to the FHSAA website and hold your cursor over "About FHSAA" and then click on "Governance," you will see how the Board is comprised and what the Board's responsibilities are.   Remember, the FHSAA is a creature of statute.   That is to say, the state legislature created the organization (at least in its current form) and, conceivably, could legislate the entity out of existence at any time (which they have threatened to do a time or two in the past). 

Long story short, the Board is comprised of various individuals from across the state who, in theory, act or should be acting in a representative capacity.  It has 16 members, 5 of whom are school athletic directors.  (For what it is worth, there are also 18 different sports advisory committees, including one for football).   From a practical standpoint, if you wanted to add a coach for football to the FHSAA Board, all the other sports would want a seat at the table, too.  And the size of the Board would more than double.   If you think it's hard getting through a meeting with 16 people (plus staff), try doing it with 40 people. 

Ms. Otero did indeed raise the issue of taking questions and comments from the audience.   She raised this issue at the beginning of the meeting and it was agreed that an email address would be provided for people to send in their questions and comments.  At that time, I think everyone anticipated that questions would be addressed prior to any votes being taken.   But, as they got into the discussion of the items, and as motions were made, seconded, withdrawn and voted on, it just didn't happen that way.   Candidly, I don't really know how they thought it was going to happen.  

When the Fall Sports Advisory Committee (which had more "football coach representation, as I recall) had its last of three meetings, a staff member did read out a handful of questions that viewers had submitted.   For the most part, no answers were provided, but at least the questions were raised.   The audience for those meetings was much smaller than the audience was Monday afternoon/evening.   I did a little math and figured that if only 5% of those watching Monday night wanted to ask a question, you would have ended up with 200 questions.   Just reading the questions could easily have taken another hour . . . and that doesn't even consider the amount of additional time that would have been taken had members tried to answer any of those questions.  In sum, I really don't know how the Board is going to be able to address public input/questions, as much as some of them want that to take place.  Maybe we'll know more tonight.   In the meantime, if people have questions, they should reach out the Board member(s) from their area.  Or, simply email each and every one of them.   It's what they signed up for.    And to the extent football coaches want more of a say, they should reach out the board members -- especially the athletic directors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How much does the FHSAA really have to say as to if and when HS football will be played? I realize they control state playoffs, but does anyone really think we'll have state championships this school year? How we do this past Spring? I'm not a coach, teacher, or administrator; I'm just the grandfather of two HS football players that want to play football this year (sometime this Fall or Winter). From what I see on the news and read in the papers, local governments are making the decisions as to when schools reopen and sports team can start practicing. It doesn't seem they're overly concerned with the FHSAA announcing a July 27th start date for practice. This stopped being about he kids a while ago. As I've stated many times on this board, the kids are practicing without social distancing or the benefit of concerned coaches looking out for them. They do conditioning under the supervision of the coaches and when the coaches leave, the kids play 7v7 pickup games for an hour or two. They're training in groups with private trainers (coaches). I would rather see organized practices under the guidance of their coaches and a start to the season without fans in the stands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


  • Posts

    • FSU is baaaaad.    But, good for those Florida boys!
    • I think the people who thought of the running clock are probably the same people who routinely got their butts kicked when they played football. 
    • The running clock does not assure that a team will back off and avoid injuring players on the opposing team. Having officials fail to enforce the play clock during the running clock can add to the frustrations of players that are hoping to get some actual playing time late in the game, especially when it's apparent that the trailing team is making no effort to run plays in the prescribed time. I think the people who thought of the running clock are probably the same people that came up with participation awards to make every kid a "winner". 
    • I suspect the reason why there is a 'running clock' rule now is because too many times, the opposing coaches didn't see eye to eye on how many points were enough (or how many points were too many) - especially in rivalry games, or when the subs should start playing, or when timeouts should be called, or what plays are appropriate to run, etc.   To a certain extent, the running clock rule was implemented to save a coach from his own pride.  Remember a few years back?  In the third quarter, running clock was "optional" for the team that was getting beat.  It wasn't until the 4th quarter that it was mandatory.   But, too many 'old school' coaches felt like agreeing to running clock in the 3rd quarter was a sign of weakness or, as you put it, throwing in the towel.  So they refused to do it.   And the 35 point differential at the beginning of the 3rd quarter turned into a 50+ differential by the time the 3rd quarter ended.  Hurt egos are one thing.  Hurt players are another story.   I'm pretty sure that's why running clock now becomes mandatory at whatever point in the second half the difference becomes 35 or more.   At that point, it's just a matter of getting the game over with a little sooner to protect the players.  Oh, and it's worth noting that not all schools are as deep as others.  Some schools are lucky to have a full squad of second-stringers. 
    • One thing I will say about some of those 8A schools in the Orlando area is that they've either never had success or they have a student population that doesn't value football. Schools that tend to be large with a heavy population of Hispanic students tend to care more about soccer, baseball and basketball than football. It's mainly because their families didn't grow up watching football so it isn't as big of a deal. A great example is Poinciana. They are historically one of the worst football schools around but they won a State Championship in basketball a few years ago. So the athletes are on the campuses for sure. But if the programs have no history of success then the athletes see no reason to play. Another factor is the laid-back transfer rules. Now, kids can essentially consolidate talent on teams. So that also adds to some of these massive blowouts - especially when districts consist of teams like Cypress Creek being made to play teams like Osceola and Lake Nona. Of course they'll get blown out. It's going to be like that for the foreseeable future though. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...