4M Title game: Apopka vs Columbus (Sat. 12/17 at 7:00)

Perspective

2 hours ago, Jullian said:

With the Explorers close to losing the game to Ocoee, Blue Darters have to b encouraged. They can’t win a shoot out with Columbus. Gotta be low scoring & +3 in turnovers. 

One thing that became clear last week is how much we missed our 5* LB (Capers) against Ocoee. Clearly, we were scored upon moreso that game than any other, except for the Central game, The good news? Even with our #1 receiver out in that game (Leon), we had enough offensive weapons to put up our average points per game.

The good news for Apopka is that these two guys are both out for the season (knee and broken collar bone). Thankfully they are both juniors, but I know it kills them to miss this game. But it does obviously mean we are not up to full throttle for these final games. This is the time of the year where depth and heart will win it. 

Haven't seen Apopka D much, but I know Harper and Irvin are a 1-2 punch that is hard to stop. We also have a supporting cast and mobile QB in Mendoza who is healthy now. So I see Apopka scoring a bit more, but don't see our offensive output declining much. Maybe 31-24?

On 12/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, Perspective said:

Who wins and why?  Does Blue Darter go home happy or sad? 

For Blue Darter to be happy, the Darters will have to have a perfect game plan and execute it, as close as possible, flawlessly. We were able to do this twice this season against two teams that wear Orange and Black. But last time I looked the Explorers do not wear Orange and Black, so there's that. 

Seriously, if Apopka can put 28 points on the board, hog the ball with long, slow drives, then they have a chance, especially if they can force Columbus to punt two or three times. If Columbus scores quickly and/or Apopka has trouble putting together long, sustained drives, then we are in trouble. 

One other thing. If this Apopka team manages to win the title, they have the most heart of any Apopka team I have seen over the past 24 seasons. What it lacks in raw talent, it more than makes up for with sheer grit. I think we will mostly shut down Columbus's running game. But if Mendoza has time in the pocket to find open receivers, it could be a long Saturday night driving back to Northwest Central Florida. Keeping constant pressure on their QB will be a key element of success or lack thereof. 

• 2 weeks later...

Weather for today's matchup looks to be a bit wet. Thunderstorms rolling in around tailgate time and expected to continue (80+%) through 9pm. Might be a long wet night after a delayed start.

Team had a rally yesterday - fans and players super jacked up.

Adding to this year's human story, at the end of the rally we got word that one of our sophomore players, Patrick Baker, who had recently undergone a heart procedure, passed away. I imagine this news is hitting the kids differently. But I wonder how they will grapple with this heavy news. Of course the game was instantly dedicated to him.

As for today's weather, it should be interesting to see if this limits the Explorer air attack. I do know the Apopka ground game has the potential to slowly wear down our thinner than usual defense (just got word that our number 2 LB Chavez will be a gametime decision, our number 1 Capers already out for the season). Saw that 2nd half in the Apopka/PBC game. 

That said, the our top tailback Irvin has been looking stronger each game, O-Line is healthy, and both our punting game and FG kicker have been reliable. I do think that Mendoza at QB will need to use his dual threat potential to secure the win. He likes to throw on the run. 

Still calling a Columbus win here, particularly with the home crowd advantage for the first time in this matchup, (expecting at least 3-4k fans if the weather holds) but I think it will be another nail-biter despite Columbus looking superior on paper. Max preps has us now as #23 in the nation. A state championship could vault this squad to the highest ranking all time, nationally.

Columbus tailgate begins at 3:30pm today. Gonna be some rowdy, wet fans. Adelante, EXPLORERS!

I think the rain will help Apopka, but if there is a long lightning delay it will help Columbus.  I don't see Apopka shutting down Columbus' offense.  They should be much better than most of the teams Apopka has played.  Apopka has won a lot of close games though with 7 games decided by a score or less vs Columbus' 2 games.  My model has Columbus at a 57% chance to win.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:06 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

For Blue Darter to be happy, the Darters will have to have a perfect game plan and execute it, as close as possible, flawlessly. We were able to do this twice this season against two teams that wear Orange and Black. But last time I looked the Explorers do not wear Orange and Black, so there's that. 

Seriously, if Apopka can put 28 points on the board, hog the ball with long, slow drives, then they have a chance, especially if they can force Columbus to punt two or three times. If Columbus scores quickly and/or Apopka has trouble putting together long, sustained drives, then we are in trouble. 

One other thing. If this Apopka team manages to win the title, they have the most heart of any Apopka team I have seen over the past 24 seasons. What it lacks in raw talent, it more than makes up for with sheer grit. I think we will mostly shut down Columbus's running game. But if Mendoza has time in the pocket to find open receivers, it could be a long Saturday night driving back to Northwest Central Florida. Keeping constant pressure on their QB will be a key element of success or lack thereof. 

Darter, are you at the game?

Halftime and Columbus clinging to a 7 point lead despite 3 Apopka turnovers. We’re now in a lightning delay. Bad weather south of us. 

columbus offense looking a bit aenemic. The good news is that two questions ajar players ended up playing tonight and have made the difference. Chavez has been everywhere on def see tonight and WR Leon broke some ankles on a nice TD pass from Mendoza.

other than that, defense has been hashed a few times up the middle and by a scrambling Apopka QB. I do question the number of QB keepers being called by our OC. Irvin has maybe 5 carries on the night. 

special teams has been a mixed bag: 2 poor punts, and 1 poor kickoff. But Allen nailed a 30 yarder to close out the half.

if Apopka had held o to the ball better this would be a differ er game. Let’s hope we have a game to finish tonight.

columbus 10, Apopka 3

51 minutes ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

Columbus not moving the ball at all. Ugly game. We enter the 4th still -10-3

Congrats to Columbus Explorers as being from Central FL was obviously pulling for APK.   The winning play was executed to perfection which has many elements that can go wrong but tough to defend if everything is done correctly.  It is called the "Philly Special" and is the exact same thing we tried vs Lakeland on 4th down with the game on the line in the semi's but mishandled the lateral on the reverse portion so came up empty.  Both teams played lights out defense and for that reason the outcome was a coin flip.  

Hats off to Apopka. What a grueling game.

Apopka fought hard as they have done all season and in the 4th tied it up. Several 3rd and long and a couple 4th down conversions. This game could have gone either way at several points. At one point it looked as if the explorers would lock it up only to throw a pick that revived the Darter's chances down inside the Explorer red zone.

A couple questionable penalties and a blocked FG attempt and we end regulated at 10 a piece,

First series in OT saw Apopka settle for a field goal. On the Explorer possession , Mendoza rolls left to pitch it to WR (and backup QB) AJ Arellano on a reverse and hits Mendoza on the run for the score. Final 13-16

Just when I thought the last CCHS v Apopka matchup was an incredible last minute finish, then we have this. These two programs have now built an exciting rivalry of mutual respect.

Great game with 6,700 in official attendance, despite the weather.

I want to congratulate the Darters on another incredible battle. Hope to see chapter 4 of this slugfest play out next year.

46 minutes ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

Hats off to Apopka. What a grueling game.

Apopka fought hard as they have done all season and in the 4th tied it up. Several 3rd and long and a couple 4th down conversions. This game could have gone either way at several points. At one point it looked as if the explorers would lock it up only to throw a pick that revived the Darter's chances down inside the Explorer red zone.

A couple questionable penalties and a blocked FG attempt and we end regulated at 10 a piece,

First series in OT saw Apopka settle for a field goal. On the Explorer possession , Mendoza rolls left to pitch it to WR (and backup QB) AJ Arellano on a reverse and hits Mendoza on the run for the score. Final 13-16

Just when I thought the last CCHS v Apopka matchup was an incredible last minute finish, then we have this. These two programs have now built an exciting rivalry of mutual respect.

Great game with 6,700 in official attendance, despite the weather.

I want to congratulate the Darters on another incredible battle. Hope to see chapter 4 of this slugfest play out next year.

What questionable penalties? 

9 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

What questionable penalties? 

One didn't stand, but Columbus was flagged for a personal foul called on a 4th down play that would have given the Darters a 1st and goal. Head ref eventually waved off the flag. Also, in the final moments of regulation before the field goal attempt, the Darters came up short of the first, in bounds with 8 seconds left and no timeouts and the clock didn't move for about 10 seconds. Darters then began to line up for what would be an upcoming spiked ball, then the clock finally began to run. Got down to one second so they had a shot at the field goal which was eventually blocked.

Those were the two I was referring to. So more like an almost questionable penalty and one bad no call. Both made for a more dramatic finish than needed.

9 hours ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

One didn't stand, but Columbus was flagged for a personal foul called on a 4th down play that would have given the Darters a 1st and goal. Head ref eventually waved off the flag. Also, in the final moments of regulation before the field goal attempt, the Darters came up short of the first, in bounds with 8 seconds left and no timeouts and the clock didn't move for about 10 seconds. Darters then began to line up for what would be an upcoming spiked ball, then the clock finally began to run. Got down to one second so they had a shot at the field goal which was eventually blocked.

Those were the two I was referring to. So more like an almost questionable penalty and one bad no call. Both made for a more dramatic finish than needed.

Yes, the first instance was good crew-work to discuss whether or not a foul was committed. The officials talked it out, and determined that the contact was in the field of play and no penalty was warranted. The second instance was correct due to an officials timeout because the runner's helmet had come off, and he had to leave the field of play. There was no questionable call on either circumstance. 

On 12/18/2022 at 7:23 PM, Jambun82 said:

Yes, the first instance was good crew-work to discuss whether or not a foul was committed. The officials talked it out, and determined that the contact was in the field of play and no penalty was warranted. The second instance was correct due to an officials timeout because the runner's helmet had come off, and he had to leave the field of play. There was no questionable call on either circumstance. 

Got it. The play was on the Apopka side so from our vantage point across the field, we didn't see that important detail. Jumbotron wasn't helpful in discovering it either.

On another note, I got word the next morning that the Apopka players and coaches heard abut our player who passed away on Friday and they more than graciously offered up their collection to the family of the deceased just prior to the game. What a class act by the Blue Darters. Definitely a fan of the program, both on and off the field.

Outstanding sportsmanship - and simply good people.

IMG_7514.jpg