Mainland coach has words for Osceola-Bucs 22-0

Dan in Daytona

Always respectful and direct, Buccaneer head coach Travis Roland had this to say about tonight's match up with the Osceola Kowboys : "the best 2-5 team you'll ever see in your life." Both teams are loaded with athletes. May the better team win, as the two make their way towards the playoffs. 

• Dan in Daytona changed the title to Mainland coach has words for Osceola-Bucs 22-0

Kowboys, had no answer for the dominating Mainland defense.  Outside of Swint # 1 they had nothing. Mainland's offense left a lot of points out there, flags were flying on the Bucs to the tune of over triple digits in yards. The now White Hat wearing Ref has always been hard on us. Tonight was no exception.

15 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Kowboys, had no answer for the dominating Mainland defense.  Outside of Swint # 1 they had nothing. Mainland's offense left a lot of points out there, flags were flying on the Bucs to the tune of over triple digits in yards. The now White Hat wearing Ref has always been hard on us. Tonight was no exception.

Congrats on the big win, Dan. Mainland vs Lake Mary the first week in November may be a battle of unbeatens. Both team have legitimate title aspirations. We get the Rams tomorrow night. I am hoping the Darters can play their best game of the season. We will need this to have a chance in this one. The problem is simple: Noah Grubbs. The solution is complex. 

22 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Could you be more specific, please? 

1 hour ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Congrats to Mainland, their defense was better than I expected and the difference offensively was QB play.  The scoring for Mainland all on 3 big plays directly due to the great QB play, passing, running and as a decoy.  Our young QB was unable to add any offense and created more problems for us than any positives.  Depending on where you sit, opinions regarding the refs go both ways.  When our QB fumbled, Mainland recovered and advanced the ball.  When your punt returner fumbled on our side of the field, there was a wild scramble for the ball as different players tried to gain control and Jalen Bell scooped it up on the dead run and returned it for the TD.  However, the refs ruled that it was Osceola ball at the spot he scooped it up and denied the TD.  Neither team was able to mount SUSTAINED drives due to the opposing defense and their own miscues all game long.  Good luck to Mainland the remainder of the year and we need to figure out what we can do to create offense vs top teams or we won't go far.

10 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Congrats to Mainland, their defense was better than I expected and the difference offensively was QB play.  The scoring for Mainland all on 3 big plays directly due to the great QB play, passing, running and as a decoy.  Our young QB was unable to add any offense and created more problems for us than any positives.  Depending on where you sit, opinions regarding the refs go both ways.  When our QB fumbled, Mainland recovered and advanced the ball.  When your punt returner fumbled on our side of the field, there was a wild scramble for the ball as different players tried to gain control and Jalen Bell scooped it up on the dead run and returned it for the TD.  However, the refs ruled that it was Osceola ball at the spot he scooped it up and denied the TD.  Neither team was able to mount SUSTAINED drives due to the opposing defense and their own miscues all game long.  Good luck to Mainland the remainder of the year and we need to figure out what we can do to create offense vs top teams or we won't go far.

Ray, did the punt returner fumble or muff the ball? Did the player ever have possession of the football? 

On 10/21/2023 at 10:54 AM, Dr. D said:

What's really crazy is if University wins out and Vero beats TC, University could hold on to the #1 regional seed.  Osceola would then host University in the #1-#8 first-round game, as district winners host at-large teams in the first round.

With Deland winning on Friday night over University, they seem to be in the driver's seat for that district title.  Plus I didn't think you automatically were a first round host just by being a district champ.

5 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

With Deland winning on Friday night over University, they seem to be in the driver's seat for that district title.  Plus I didn't think you automatically were a first round host just by being a district champ.

Ray, my understanding is that this year, in the first round, all District champs host. In subsequent rounds, the host is the higher seed.

Going forward, if the new proposals are implemented, that may change. And all the district champ distinction will get you is a playoff birth. 

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Ray, my understanding is that this year, in the first round, all District champs host. In subsequent rounds, the host is the higher seed.

Going forward, if the new proposals are implemented, that may change. And all the district champ distinction will get you is a playoff birth. 

Thanks, as interpreting the language in the FHSAA site for a simpleton like myself is daunting.:lol:

7 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Thanks, as interpreting the language in the FHSAA site for a simpleton like myself is daunting.:lol:

You are far from being a simpleton. Frankly, the language and the methods being employed to determine the playoffs, who makes them, and what their seeding is, is getting so complicated that it would make both attorneys and CPAs blush. And those professions make their bread, to a large degree, by obfuscation, not clarity. I am not particularly proud to admit that I buttered my bread in one of those fields.   

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

You are far from being a simpleton. Frankly, the language and the methods being employed to determine the playoffs, who makes them, and what their seeding is, is getting so complicated that it would make both attorneys and CPAs blush. And those professions make their bread, to a large degree, by obfuscation, not clarity. I am not particularly proud to admit that I buttered my bread in one of those fields.   

Hope it was the latter.:)

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It was. But @Perspective seems like an open minded, reasonable guy. So, I would not hold the former against him, though I don't always agree with his perspective (language intended). 

Your right about Perspective as I don't hold that against him either, although he seemed to think at one time that I shared his profession.  Don't know what could have ever given him that idea. 

To clarify (see 2023-24 FHSAA Administrative Procedures, section 3.3.1.1.3), 4 district champs and 4 at-large teams are seeded #1-#8 based on the final FHSAA Power Rankings.  The higher seed will always host, EXCEPT in the regional quarterfinal round when a district champ is matched against an at-large team; in this instance, the district champ will host regardless of seeding.

Thus, University could be the #1 regional seed, despite DeLand being the district champ, and University/at-large would have to travel to #8 seed/district champ Osceola in the regional quarterfinals.