Article Clarifies FHSAA proposal on reclassification

181pl

As the end of this article points out, there are still several questions that need to be answered.   At first blush, this whole concept does not appear to have been well or thoroughly thought out.   I'm concerned that someone will start raising questions at the next FHSAA Board meeting and that, in their haste, they'll try to come up with something on the fly, not fully understanding or contemplating all of the unintended consequences that could result. 

Cocoa, Chaminade-Madonna, Miami Norland, St. Thomas Aquinas, Clearwater Central Catholic, Lake Mary, Gainesville Buchholz and Plantation American Heritage

This is the 8 teams that would have been in an open division.  CCC just lost by 100 to Chaminade.  I like the idea.  Columbiafan if you read this I like the idea.  Best idea FHSAA has had.  I don't like how they pick the 8 teams for the open division. 

41 minutes ago, badbird said:

Cocoa, Chaminade-Madonna, Miami Norland, St. Thomas Aquinas, Clearwater Central Catholic, Lake Mary, Gainesville Buchholz and Plantation American Heritage

This is the 8 teams that would have been in an open division.  CCC just lost by 100 to Chaminade.  I like the idea.  Columbiafan if you read this I like the idea.  Best idea FHSAA has had.  I don't like how they pick the 8 teams for the open division. 

The original discussion last year proposed "large" and "small" school (above/below 1,500 enrollment) Open Divisions.  Might be a better way to go.

for the open division, I don’t think it should be based on any sort of hokie ranking. It should be based on a point system. X amount of points for state titles won within the last five years, X amount of points for total playoff wins in the last five years, X amount of total wins over the last five years, X amount of points for winning percentage over the last five years.

I would also exclude all rural teams from the open division. There’s no way that a small rural team would be able to compete with chaminade. Ever.  Not enough of a population to draw from.  

1 hour ago, flabuck said:

I know they are not part of FSHAA but why leave IMG out of the conversation, this would be a way to get them into the the fold. If you want to find out the best of the best why leave them out.

In my opinion, you leave them out because they don't play by the same rules.  They're a glorified prep school that seemingly/openly recruits athletes.   So, now that I think about it, perhaps they aren't all that different than some of the other so-called state powers. 

20 hours ago, 181pl said:

for the open division, I don’t think it should be based on any sort of hokie ranking. It should be based on a point system. X amount of points for state titles won within the last five years, X amount of points for total playoff wins in the last five years, X amount of total wins over the last five years, X amount of points for winning percentage over the last five years.

I would also exclude all rural teams from the open division. There’s no way that a small rural team would be able to compete with chaminade. Ever.  Not enough of a population to draw from.  

I like your ideas. The rankings can't be off the FHSAA rankings this year. What do you think about two open divisions? Say one for 1,500 and up and one for 1,500 and down?

2    Chaminade-Madonna (Hollywood)    13-0    72.20    26.9
3    St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale)    13-1    69.40    36.4
4    Cocoa    13-1    64.60    36.0
5    Norland (Miami)    14-0    63.60    33.3
6    Venice    12-2    58.80    29.4
7    Mandarin (Jacksonville)    11-3    56.30    33.7
8    Buchholz (Gainesville)    13-1    56.30    34.9
9    Central (Miami)    8-4    55.80    43.6

This is the top 8(IMG was 1st)....

according to maxpreps rankings, which is what they will be using 

thats 8 loaded teams and 4 or 5 state champs and all 8 could possibly win state titles

37 minutes ago, h8r said:

thats 8 loaded teams and 4 or 5 state champs and all 8 could possibly win state titles

Absolutely. Would be fun to watch. What I suggested would look like

Big 8

STA, Venice, Mandarin, Buchholx, Mainland, American Heritage, St. Augustine, Lakeland

Small 8

Chaminade, Cocoa, Norland, Central, Clearwater Catholic, Hawthorne, Cardinal Newman, Berkley Prep

Just throwing ideas out there. But I do think there is something to an open division. 

17 hours ago, h8r said:

Columbus just routed Mandarin. Clown rankings. Clown Association . Can’t rely on phony 3rd party rankings. Have to use a point system.