Top 10 C/O 2018 Players from Florida

SportsNut25

What does everyone think about this list from MaxPreps of the Top 10 players in Florida from the Class of 2018? Interesting that there are no QBs on the list. 

1) Xavier Thomas - DE/IMG Academy - 6'3 263 (Clemson Verbal) 
2) Patrick Surtain Jr - CB/AHP - 6'2 181 
3) Tyreke Johnson - S/Jax TCA - 6'1, 191
4) Lorenzo Lingard - RB/Orange City University - 6'0 190 (Canes Verbal) 
5) James Cook - RB/MIA Central - 6'0 181 (FSU Verbal) 
6) TJ Pledger - RB/IMG Academy - 5'8 190 (Oklahoma Verbal) 
7) Justin Watkins - WR/East Ridge - 5'11 172 (Texas Verbal) 
8) William Barnes - OT/Apopka - 6'4 312
9) Tyson Campbell - CB/AHP - 6'3 180
10) Jacob Copeland - WR/Escambia - 6'1 181

I will give you my take on Lingard after the Spring game with Apopka. Our defensive line looked pretty good in the blue and white game last night, so if he runs wild he will deserve a lot of credit.

Regarding Barnes, he has always been highly rated and has done well at camps. My own bias is towards Ed Monthelus, though. However, Barnes is a fine offensive lineman.

2 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

What does everyone think about this list from MaxPreps of the Top 10 players in Florida from the Class of 2018? Interesting that there are no QBs on the list. 

1) Xavier Thomas - DE/IMG Academy - 6'3 263 (Clemson Verbal) 
2) Patrick Surtain Jr - CB/AHP - 6'2 181 
3) Tyreke Johnson - S/Jax TCA - 6'1, 191
4) Lorenzo Lingard - RB/Orange City University - 6'0 190 (Canes Verbal) 
5) James Cook - RB/MIA Central - 6'0 181 (FSU Verbal) 
6) TJ Pledger - RB/IMG Academy - 5'8 190 (Oklahoma Verbal) 
7) Justin Watkins - WR/East Ridge - 5'11 172 (Texas Verbal) 
8) William Barnes - OT/Apopka - 6'4 312
9) Tyson Campbell - CB/AHP - 6'3 180
10) Jacob Copeland - WR/Escambia - 6'1 181

I think James Cook is waay too high.   Same with TJ pledger IMO.  

24 minutes ago, 954gator said:

It bothers me a bit how they try and diversify it with different positions.  I think if, for example, 15 of the top 30 players in Fl are DBs they should rank it that way, you know?

Idk if they tried to do that because I mean there are no QBs on that list and I think if they were trying to diversify it, I feel like they would have found at least one QB to add. 

3 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

Idk if they tried to do that because I mean there are no QBs on that list and I think if they were trying to diversify it, I feel like they would have found at least one QB to add. 

Yeah but who would you have as that QB?  Milton, Sitkowski?  I love Milton, and if he does well this year he's the guy I want, but he threw for less than 50% completion.   Francois was the last QB I'd feel good about as a top 10 overall QB.  

22 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I will give you my take on Lingard after the Spring game with Apopka. Our defensive line looked pretty good in the blue and white game last night, so if he runs wild he will deserve a lot of credit.

Regarding Barnes, he has always been highly rated and has done well at camps. My own bias is towards Ed Monthelus, though. However, Barnes is a fine offensive lineman.

Darter, here's my take on Lingard. Nice size, excellent "Track" speed, but not very elusive or powerful for his size. Athletic defenses can shut him down. Maybe Orange City had a poor O-line ? Saw him 2yrs in scrimmage games against Mainland. He was a non factor...As a track hurdler, he is one of the best in the state. Strong, powerful, and fast.

Figured I'd do a side-by-side comparison between MaxPreps and ESPN: 

# -- MaxPreps --- ESPN

1 -- Xavier Thomas -- Xavier Thomas
2 -- Patrick Surtain Jr -- Patrick Surtain Jr
3 -- Tyreke Johnson -- Taron Vincent
4 -- Lorenzo Lingard  -- Tyson Campbell
5 -- James Cook -- Justin Watkins
6 -- TJ Pledger -- Nick Petit Frere
7 -- Justin Watkins -- Joey Gatewood
8 -- William Barnes -- Xavier Williams
9 -- Tyson Campbell -- Josh Moore
10 -- Jacob Copeland -- Asante Samuel Jr

Not sure if he is eligible for this list because he will be attending his Senior season at a CT Prep School but Josh Jobe out of Miami Columbus  belongs on this list. He is as good as any CB on this list, or even the nation IMO.

Those  OCs and WRs in Connecticut have no clue what they are going to be dealing with.  If he is considered a CT player, you can chalk him up as the greatest  CB in CT HS history - Fact.