Increase of 4 teams to 6 teams per region in playoff approved by FHSAA BOD

Joshua Wilson

3 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

I am sure most schools wanted it especially the ones that aren't very good.  If we are going to do this I say we do away with the running clock and that way these schools can see just how much they didn't deserve a playoff spot.

Honestly i would be ok with that

I never really like the running clock anyway 

54 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

I am sure most schools wanted it especially the ones that aren't very good.  If we are going to do this I say we do away with the running clock and that way these schools can see just how much they didn't deserve a playoff spot.

Well, considering your former head coach was for it and he is on the Football Advisory committee... 

28 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I like it because there is NO reason for 1-4a to have a bye week 

Plus this gives top 2 seeds a bye which will put a 3 vs 6 seed instead of a 1 vs 4 which frankly the gap between 3 and 6 isn't as wide as gap between 1 and 4

You don't think anybody should have a bye, but you think it is a plus that seeds 1 and 2 are getting a bye? Sigh...

While I don't care either way, the argument against the two extra teams is that it puts too many teams into the playoffs, remember the #1 complaint from people on this board under the old system is that teams that did not deserve, by adding teams, that is absolutely what you are doing.

4A: 48 Teams (old system 16 teams or 33%) *new system 22 teams or 46%
3A: 39 Teams (old system 16 teams or 41%) *new system 22 teams or 57%
2A: 43 Teams (old system 16 teams or 37%) *new system 22 teams or 51%
1A: 34 Teams (old system 16 teams or 47%) *new system 22 teams or 65%

I also like the bye week that teams 1A-4A have before the state championship, especially since many of them play on Thursday Night instead of Friday-Saturday.

Now, in the long run, if they add additional teams to 2A-4A to about 60 teams that would be fine, but otherwise you know you have 1 out 2 chance of making the playoffs. Let's be clear, this is a $$$ grab by the FHSAA more than anything.  if the FHSAA gets $3 per person and across the additional 32 games x 500 per game that is an additional $48,000 for the FHSAA. 

Josh,
Of course, coaches like it. They get to say they made the playoffs to alleviate pressure at home or as they look for a new job. Win-Win, but does it actual make a better product. The whole point of going to the playoff points was to ensure the best teams make it. This essentially undoes that, and says hey as long as you are somewhat above mediocre, you get in. People were tired of blowouts in the playoffs (how does this fix it?). It only delays the blowout by one week. 

Just for kicks, I broke down Class 4A Region 1

Raines(13-1), West Nassau(10-2), Marianna(5-5) and North Bay Haven Academy(5-5) made the playoffs 

during the regular season...

Rutherford(3-7) beat North Bay Haven Academy(5-5)

Gadsden County(3-7) easily beat Marianna(5-5).

Marianna(5-5) easily beat Rutherford(3-7), Walton(3-7) and S Walton (3-7)

Walton, S Walton and North Bay Haven each had 3 big losses to 1A schools, and some of those were to mediocre 1A teams.

North Bay Haven barely beat 1A Sneads(1-8) 15-14

All but 1 of Gadsden County's losses came to a 5A, 6A or 7A teams. 

Fernandina Beach finished 5-5-1 and had a reasonably difficult schedule.  Gadsden could argue they are "deserving" based on difficulty of schedule.  North Bay Haven had a very weak schedule and still struggled.  So, I could see an argument for Raines, West Nassau, Marianna, Fern Beach and Gadsden County to be "deserving" teams, and even might be a stretch.  Any of the other teams in the region...no way.  How can a 4A team having multiple blowout losses to 1A teams be considered a playoff contender?

during the regular season.  NBH made the playoffs and Rutherford did not.  If someone wants to debate that this is unfair, it blows up the new playoff system  

10 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

You don't think anybody should have a bye, but you think it is a plus that seeds 1 and 2 are getting a bye? Sigh...

While I don't care either way, the argument against the two extra teams is that it puts too many teams into the playoffs, remember the #1 complaint from people on this board under the old system is that teams that did not deserve, by adding teams, that is absolutely what you are doing.

4A: 48 Teams (old system 16 teams or 33%) *new system 22 teams or 46%
3A: 39 Teams (old system 16 teams or 41%) *new system 22 teams or 57%
2A: 43 Teams (old system 16 teams or 37%) *new system 22 teams or 51%
1A: 34 Teams (old system 16 teams or 47%) *new system 22 teams or 65%

I also like the bye week that teams 1A-4A have before the state championship, especially since many of them play on Thursday Night instead of Friday-Saturday.

Now, in the long run, if they add additional teams to 2A-4A to about 60 teams that would be fine, but otherwise you know you have 1 out 2 chance of making the playoffs. Let's be clear, this is a $$$ grab by the FHSAA more than anything.  if the FHSAA gets $3 per person and across the additional 32 games x 500 per game that is an additional $48,000 for the FHSAA. 

I would rather a bye week be rewarded then just be standard 

Think about it for a second, now teams will be pushing to get enough points to get a bye week 

Makes things interesting 

I like it. This is as close as we will probably get to playing it out on the field. Im not a fan of the point system. I hate other teams determining how many points you get. A little biased probably, because Im a Hawthorne guy and I feel we were left out. So Im  all for letting 2 more teams in. We lost one game in overtime and lost another in final seconds. Finished 7-2 losing to 2 team thats made the playoffs.  I think we were the 2nd or 3rd best team in the region and didnt get in because..... yea we lost them 2 games, but also teams that were scheduled didnt do as good as thought.

24 minutes ago, badbird said:

the problem is not the number of teams it is the point system and how games are scheduled.  Adding more teams means more blowouts.  

Old system gave same kind of blowouts and the setup looked weak for a Montana middle school playoffs much less the playoffs for a top 3 football state

I hate that bull$hit flip every other year garbage, if they ever go back to that out of date system I'll be done watching Florida hs football 

Teams should EARN right to host not just have it handed to them because of where they line up in their district 

Plus in old system a team like Leon could make playoffs yet Miami Central gets left out

Miami Central would have beaten Leon by 70, you cant tell me the old system was any better than this one 

28 minutes ago, badbird said:

the problem is not the number of teams it is the point system and how games are scheduled.  Adding more teams means more blowouts.  

There will always be blowouts. Even 2 evenly match teams may end in a blowout. Just how teams get upset by lesser teams. Blowouts are not a problem. Not giving teams the opportunity to prove themselves is the problem. Anything that gives a team a chance to prove themselves, Im all for it.   I wish there was a regional tourney where every team is in. Like other sports have district tournament. Everything is settled by playing. 

Just now, blackmagic said:

There will always be blowouts. Even 2 evenly match teams may end in a blowout. Just how teams get upset by lesser teams. Blowouts are not a problem. Not giving teams the opportunity to prove themselves is the problem. Anything that gives a team a chance to prove themselves, Im all for it.   I wish there was a regional tourney where every team is in. Like other sports have district tournament. Everything is settled by playing. 

One of reasons I'm starting to like other sports more

I have always felt confident when Columbia plays in district tournaments and I'm certain we will win before we even start playing 

12 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Old system gave same kind of blowouts and the setup looked weak for a Montana middle school playoffs much less the playoffs for a top 3 football state

I hate that bull$hit flip every other year garbage, if they ever go back to that out of date system I'll be done watching Florida hs football 

Teams should EARN right to host not just have it handed to them because of where they line up in their district 

Plus in old system a team like Leon could make playoffs yet Miami Central gets left out

Miami Central would have beaten Leon by 70, you cant tell me the old system was any better than this one 

Dear God how many times are you going to talk about old system.  I prefer talking about the system we have.  1A-4A sucks ass and they added 6 teams instead of 4 to cover for the cluster F... point system they have.  5A-8A at least everyone has a chance in their district so seed them how you want I could care less.  Do the same for 1A-4A

7 minutes ago, blackmagic said:

1A-4A is not settled on the field in the regular season.  5A-8A is well half of it is.  

4 minutes ago, badbird said:

1A-4A is not settled on the field in the regular season.  5A-8A is well half of it is.  

Agreed. So by letting more teams in, more of the results are handled on the field.  In basketball every aspect of the playoffs is handled on the court. The district tournament lets the 2 best playing teams come out of district. Then the best playing team comes out of regional. Then best playing team wins state. 

33 minutes ago, blackmagic said:

Agreed. So by letting more teams in, more of the results are handled on the field.  In basketball every aspect of the playoffs is handled on the court. The district tournament lets the 2 best playing teams come out of district. Then the best playing team comes out of regional. Then best playing team wins state. 

So you guys want a district tourney for Football? There will never be the perfect system. People are on here complaining about "who they lost to." If you want in the playoffs, beat the teams on your schedule. Simple

33 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

So you guys want a district tourney for Football? There will never be the perfect system. People are on here complaining about "who they lost to." If you want in the playoffs, beat the teams on your schedule. Simple

I actually would like idea of a district tournament 

1 hour ago, badbird said:

Dear God how many times are you going to talk about old system.  I prefer talking about the system we have.  1A-4A sucks ass and they added 6 teams instead of 4 to cover for the cluster F... point system they have.  5A-8A at least everyone has a chance in their district so seed them how you want I could care less.  Do the same for 1A-4A

The athletic directors in 1-4a wanted it 

5-8a wanted districts and fought for it

Had 1-4a done same they could have same system as 5-8a