Quantcast
Jump to content

TampaFootballFan

Plant High Football Robert Weiner not returning?

Recommended Posts


I may be able to answer a few of these questions:

1.  Yes, this morning Coach Weiner announced to the Plant family of players, coaches and parents that he would be leaving Plant to take a job with a yet-to-be-name D1 school.   Although no announcement has been made by the university or Coach Weiner, I would expect him to step into some combination of OC/QB coach role. 

2.  Yes, the kids are disappointed and some may even be angry.  They're 16 and 17 year old boys.  That's the way teenage boys typically react to news like this.  Their pain is real, but it will fade quickly for most and they'll move on with the next guy.  Life lessons, right? 

3. No word as of yet on his replacement.   I don't know if it will be someone from the current staff or someone from the outside.  Question:  would an alum who is currently coaching elsewhere be considered an "insider" or an "outsider?"   Food for thought.

4.  Poaching season is officially open . . . at least that's my take based on what I've already heard from a few other parents who have kids in the program.   I guess it's understandable that coaches and folks who fall into the category of 'representative of a school's athletic interests' would try to strike while the iron is hot and take advantage of this brief period of uncertainty.   But, to paraphrase an old expression:  "when you come at the king, you best not miss."    A couple of folks have already told me they're keeping records of their calls and text messages -- implying that if they decide to stay, they'll have ample evidence of the recruiting attempts by other schools.  And they won't be afraid to share the information. 

5.  That said, because of the uncertainty (and the tough year Plant had both on and off the field in 2019), it won't surprise me if a couple of players decide to go elsewhere.  It's happened before and it'll happen again.   And I suspect a new kid or two will show up in the locker room some time before the 2020 season starts, as well.  I don't foresee a mass exodus. Contrary to what some folks may want to believe, the overwhelming majority of players on the team over the past decade have been kids who grew up in the Plant district, went to the feeder middle schools or area private schools and who, if they didn't play football, would have attended Plant anyway.  However, depending on who the next coach is, I don't see kids transferring to Plant in hopes of becoming the next Plant QB under Weiner's tutelage. 

Here's my one certainty:  things will continue to be interesting over the next few months.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Plant players are upset:

1) They are teenagers, they will recover really quickly. They will continue to play football. The world is not ending.

2) They should be happy that their coach is getting an opportunity to go to college. The good ones should understand what he did with the Plant football program to make it one that people wanted to "transfer" to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're supposed to announce Monday from what I hear. there's a couple of finalist but they kept everything under wraps. I know two names but I don't want to say anything because I don't know if those guys are in the final two or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyril Brockmeier has indeed been announced as the new head coach at Plant.  Coach Brock was not the current JV coach.  He held the job for for a nice stretch a few years ago, leading the team to several undefeated seasons.  Coach Weiner often referred to him as "the most overqualified JV coach in the country."  Hyperbole aside, it may have been true.  At that time, the former college player (O-line) already had two college coaching positions on his resume.  Coach Brock had to step down from coaching a few years ago when his brother died suddenly (as I recall, a cut from a boat motor led to an infection that killed him within a week), leaving behind a wife and a couple of young boys.  Brock stepped up and helped raise the kids (his nephews).  As I understand, the kids are a little older and their mom has a new man in her life.  As a result, over the last couple of years, Coach Brock has been able to return to his passion of coaching. 

I believe Coach Brock is on good terms with most all of the coaches, so Plant won't have to completely rebuild their coaching staff (although a couple of the assistants already had made the decision to retire even before Coach Weiner announced his move to Toledo).   The administration was fortunate to have several good options available, including at least one other off the current staff and at least one from a nearby school.  

The principal at Plant made the announcement Friday night at the football banquet, much to the delight and approval of players and parents.   Coach Brock spoke briefly and talked about building on Coach Weiner's legacy, while giving it his own signature.

It's never easy to follow a coaching legend.  Only time will tell whether this turns out to be the right man for the job. But it's hard to argue with the choice they made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 1:35 PM, 181pl said:

They're supposed to announce Monday from what I hear. there's a couple of finalist but they kept everything under wraps. I know two names but I don't want to say anything because I don't know if those guys are in the final two or not.

it was the 2 you thought it  would be Brock and Mesick... I was not expecting the paper to mention Mesicks name so I am curious if any of the parents or players picked up on it and if they have any questions for their coach coming back to them after flirting with a Panther LOL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 11:09 AM, Perspective said:

Cyril Brockmeier has indeed been announced as the new head coach at Plant.  Coach Brock was not the current JV coach.  He held the job for for a nice stretch a few years ago, leading the team to several undefeated seasons.  Coach Weiner often referred to him as "the most overqualified JV coach in the country."  Hyperbole aside, it may have been true.  At that time, the former college player (O-line) already had two college coaching positions on his resume.  Coach Brock had to step down from coaching a few years ago when his brother died suddenly (as I recall, a cut from a boat motor led to an infection that killed him within a week), leaving behind a wife and a couple of young boys.  Brock stepped up and helped raise the kids (his nephews).  As I understand, the kids are a little older and their mom has a new man in her life.  As a result, over the last couple of years, Coach Brock has been able to return to his passion of coaching. 

I believe Coach Brock is on good terms with most all of the coaches, so Plant won't have to completely rebuild their coaching staff (although a couple of the assistants already had made the decision to retire even before Coach Weiner announced his move to Toledo).   The administration was fortunate to have several good options available, including at least one other off the current staff and at least one from a nearby school.  

The principal at Plant made the announcement Friday night at the football banquet, much to the delight and approval of players and parents.   Coach Brock spoke briefly and talked about building on Coach Weiner's legacy, while giving it his own signature.

It's never easy to follow a coaching legend.  Only time will tell whether this turns out to be the right man for the job. But it's hard to argue with the choice they made. 

Can you confirm the guys who retired?  Im guessings its the ones I talk to the most lol.  

Its never easy to follow the legend is the understatement of 2020... its damn near impossible but I wish him luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

Can you confirm the guys who retired?  Im guessings its the ones I talk to the most lol.  

Its never easy to follow the legend is the understatement of 2020... its damn near impossible but I wish him luck.

John Few retired.   Over time, he had been the linebacker coach and (co) D-coordinator.  The last couple of years, he was up in the press box for games. 

Prior to Weiner's announcement, I had heard that Bo Puckett also was stepping away  . . . at least for a few years.  I don't know if either Weiner's move or Brockmeier's hire impacted Puckett's final decision. 

There are a few more question marks we can discuss over lunch.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, peezy28 said:

Can you confirm the guys who retired?  Im guessings its the ones I talk to the most lol.  

Its never easy to follow the legend is the understatement of 2020... its damn near impossible but I wish him luck.

Especially tough when your school is at capacity and you can't recruit them all in.  Weiner was a genius and a great coach but he benefited with transfers.  Without transfers and without great great coaching they will struggle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, badbird said:

Especially tough when your school is at capacity and you can't recruit them all in.  Weiner was a genius and a great coach but he benefited with transfers.  Without transfers and without great great coaching they will struggle

Can't all recruit like the L. LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...