Congrats to the Seniors who signed today

561_Fan

Unfortunately, from recent articles expressing HS coaches views the transfer portal in college is making those scholarship opportunities more difficult to secure.   Looks like unless that is addressed in some fashion to put some restraints on football players switching allegiance so easily, securing these scholarships for HS kids will get more difficult.   As is the case when change takes place to make things better, the unintended consequences jump up to bite you.

55 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Unfortunately, from recent articles expressing HS coaches views the transfer portal in college is making those scholarship opportunities more difficult to secure.   Looks like unless that is addressed in some fashion to put some restraints on football players switching allegiance so easily, securing these scholarships for HS kids will get more difficult.   As is the case when change takes place to make things better, the unintended consequences jump up to bite you.

Ray, I can easily see where the transfer portal would affect the timing of scholarship offers to high school kids, but I'm trying to figure out how it would affect availability.   Once the Covid super seniors have finally departed, there should be just as many open spots available each year that need to be filled by incoming high school players.   What am I missing? 

2 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

The portal is hurting the fringe of star/mid-major kids. Bama A&M only took 10 high school kids. FSU took like 32 high school kids the last 2 cycles combined 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Ray, I can easily see where the transfer portal would affect the timing of scholarship offers to high school kids, but I'm trying to figure out how it would affect availability.   Once the Covid super seniors have finally departed, there should be just as many open spots available each year that need to be filled by incoming high school players.   What am I missing? 

D1 schools have 85 scholarships available and the number goes down for D2, etc.  They are giving a percentage that used to go to HS kids to college kids in the portal as they have a competitive advantage with film vs college competition.   Case in point, one of the top ranked QB's in our state from Cocoa is having trouble getting a D1 offer when he had several prior and those schools backed off; same for our kid Mascoe who also had several offers that backed off and he committed to Campbell University.  There is an actual interview of the Wydmer kid with Brian Smith (SI recruiting analyst) discussing this very issue.  Not sure what you are missing, maybe it's me.

1 minute ago, Ray Icaza said:

D1 schools have 85 scholarships available and the number goes down for D2, etc.  They are giving a percentage that used to go to HS kids to college kids in the portal as they have a competitive advantage with film vs college competition.   Case in point, one of the top ranked QB's in our state from Cocoa is having trouble getting a D1 offer when he had several prior and those schools backed off; same for our kid Mascoe who also had several offers that backed off and he committed to Campbell University.  There is an actual interview of the Wydmer kid with Brian Smith (SI recruiting analyst) discussing this very issue.  Not sure what you are missing, maybe it's me.

On average, D1 schools recruiting classes average about 20 kids.  They are holding back offers to 6-8 kids in that group while they scour the portal.

So it's just like musical chairs.   Taking the Covid-plus years out of the equation, there are just as many chairs as there used to be for just as many kids as there have always been.   The only difference is that D1 coaches, knowing the value of a scholarship and how much it can hurt a program when a few recruits don't pan out, are more inclined to take a chance on a portal kid who already has a year or two of development under his belt.  That, in turn, should create more opportunities at the schools where kids are leaving from. 

It's just going to end up looking like a big funnel, with the top D1 schools at the narrow end, scooping up the top portal players. 

I don't really like the portal, but it's probably here to stay.  But I think a lot of the problem has to do with the backlog created by giving kids an extra season or two because of Covid.   Because of that, fewer kids have moved through the system on a regular schedule, which created fewer open spots.   The high school kids in the last couple of graduating classes have suffered because of this decision.   In theory, that problem should resolve itself in the next year or two.  Then, the game of musical chairs will continue with an equal number of kids leaving college football and coming into college football every year.  The kids in the portal will just give the top teams more options, but if those kids are leaving smaller/lesser programs for the chance to play with a top team, that should create more openings at the big end of the funnel. 

Just my two cents. 

45 minutes ago, Perspective said:

So it's just like musical chairs.   Taking the Covid-plus years out of the equation, there are just as many chairs as there used to be for just as many kids as there have always been.   The only difference is that D1 coaches, knowing the value of a scholarship and how much it can hurt a program when a few recruits don't pan out, are more inclined to take a chance on a portal kid who already has a year or two of development under his belt.  That, in turn, should create more opportunities at the schools where kids are leaving from. 

It's just going to end up looking like a big funnel, with the top D1 schools at the narrow end, scooping up the top portal players. 

I don't really like the portal, but it's probably here to stay.  But I think a lot of the problem has to do with the backlog created by giving kids an extra season or two because of Covid.   Because of that, fewer kids have moved through the system on a regular schedule, which created fewer open spots.   The high school kids in the last couple of graduating classes have suffered because of this decision.   In theory, that problem should resolve itself in the next year or two.  Then, the game of musical chairs will continue with an equal number of kids leaving college football and coming into college football every year.  The kids in the portal will just give the top teams more options, but if those kids are leaving smaller/lesser programs for the chance to play with a top team, that should create more openings at the big end of the funnel. 

Just my two cents. 

Not necessarily as many of these smaller colleges (Division II) have only 36 scholarships to give and you obviously can't run a program with 36 kids.  So non-scholarship kids on those teams are the mostly likely receipts in the scenario you describe, not HS kids.  My one cent.

8 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Not necessarily as many of these smaller colleges have only 36 scholarships to give and you obviously can't run a program with 36 kids.  So non-scholarship kids on those teams are the mostly likely receipts in the scenario you describe, not HS kids.  My one cent.

Good point.  So, if the process continues to play out, some of the kids that in the past received scholarships may now have to walk-on and hope that when a teammate hits the portal that will free up a scholarship for them.  Not an ideal arrangement for kids that can't afford that first year of college in hopes of earning the free ride. 

That said, if the process indeed plays out this way, one good thing will result:  there will be more of those videos of walk-ons getting surprised with a scholarship.   Some people may think they're a little sappy, but I don't ever get tired of watching 'walk-ons getting a scholarship' and 'military folks coming home and surprising their family' videos. 

2 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Good point.  So, if the process continues to play out, some of the kids that in the past received scholarships may now have to walk-on and hope that when a teammate hits the portal that will free up a scholarship for them.  Not an ideal arrangement for kids that can't afford that first year of college in hopes of earning the free ride. 

That said, if the process indeed plays out this way, one good thing will result:  there will be more of those videos of walk-ons getting surprised with a scholarship.   Some people may think they're a little sappy, but I don't ever get tired of watching 'walk-ons getting a scholarship' and 'military folks coming home and surprising their family' videos. 

The other interesting aspect as I understand it, kids can do the transfer portal one time no questions asked.  So top D1 schools will grab a kid with 2-3 years of eligibility left knowing they most likely won't leave, whereas a HS kid they invest 2 years in preparation might and the time/monetary investment gets them no return.  So, yeah will have to see how all this shakes out. 

For clarification, I am not against the transfer portal but for that undiscovered HS kid that flies under the radar every year getting an opportunity at the next level.  There are hundreds of examples of that happening even before the portal as kids get overlooked.  I am not a NFL fan and have not watched a single game this year, but my oldest son is and seems very knowledgeable with regards to players.  He mentioned one to me yesterday while we were out boating who I never heard of --- Cooper Kupp, who he thinks is the best receiver in the league.  In researching him, I discovered he had ZERO offers coming out of High School before finally getting a SINGULAR one from Eastern Washington.  If we lose more of these "Opportunities" for these kids trying so hard to make it before they get that one chance, I for one believe in them getting it.