Venice apparently set for an IMG rematch in Week 1

VeniceIndianFan

2 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

By 2027, LG will be the premier program with Lakeland in 2nd.  That's assuming Coach Castle doesn't retire before then or is forced out like Hazel Haley or if a pedigreed replacement coach would have the same "support" that CC has.  The scraps will go to K-leen, GJ and Tenoroc.

All good things must come to an end...

Going to be a very sad day when Coach Castle retires! :(

Naples needed to improve their schedule if they want to be ready for their annual game with Northwestern or Miami Central in the playoffs. The other SW Florida teams are too weak to get them ready. Scheduling Venice is a good start. Maybe add a Miami team on the road to get ready for possible travel and talent  upgrade from weak district. 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:23 AM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I always thought week 1 was a good time to play a team like IMG. You give yourself a major challenge right out of the gate and all of your flaws/ weak spots are on full display from the beginning. I don’t expect Venice to win this game but I do expect them to at least remain competitive for the first half and move on with their heads held high knowing that they played the number 1 team in the country tough. How are your Dreadnaughts looking this year, Nulli? 

I dont really look at playing IMG as an opportunity to learn anything about your team.  In typical years, their entire senior class would rank as a top-10 recruiting class by itself. So in essence you are playing a really young top-10 college program.  What could you possibly learn from playing a team that could make every one of your strengths look like a glaring weakness?  Rather, this game is all about getting your program exposure.  Maybe that three-star player in the area transfers to your team because of showcase games like this?  It makes sense if you have players good enough to not get completely obliterated by their 5-stars.  The other consideration is a loss to a great team like this might actually help your RPI because IMG will most certainly have no worse than one loss and will have a great opponents-opponents winning percentage too.

1 hour ago, PinellasFB said:

I dont really look at playing IMG as an opportunity to learn anything about your team.  In typical years, their entire senior class would rank as a top-10 recruiting class by itself. So in essence you are playing a really young top-10 college program.  What could you possibly learn from playing a team that could make every one of your strengths look like a glaring weakness?  Rather, this game is all about getting your program exposure.  Maybe that three-star player in the area transfers to your team because of showcase games like this?  It makes sense if you have players good enough to not get completely obliterated by their 5-stars.  The other consideration is a loss to a great team like this might actually help your RPI because IMG will most certainly have no worse than one loss and will have a great opponents-opponents winning percentage too.

Playing a team like IMG, especially in Week 1, is assistive because almost our entire team is going to be new. What better team is out there (locally, at least,) that could give Venice this stern of a challenge to begin the season? The game has to be played on the field. Knowing that you will be suiting up against the number 1 team in the nation gives your coaching staff a competitive edge, reason to really push the new kids to learn the material and try to play to their full potential. Do I expect Venice to win this game? No, but if they do, I will be the happiest person in the world.  It's a great way to start the season and you can bet that I will be there in the most green-clad attire imaginable to root the Indians on to a W over the Ascenders!

Go Indians!

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Playing a team like IMG, especially in Week 1, is assistive because almost our entire team is going to be new. What better team is out there (locally, at least,) that could give Venice this stern of a challenge to begin the season? The game has to be played on the field. Knowing that you will be suiting up against the number 1 team in the nation gives your coaching staff a competitive edge, reason to really push the new kids to learn the material and try to play to their full potential. Do I expect Venice to win this game? No, but if they do, I will be the happiest person in the world.  It's a great way to start the season and you can bet I will be there in the most green-clad attire to root the Indians on to a W over the Ascenders.

Go Indians!

I agree that playing a really good team early on is a great way to test your team, force preparation and, most of all, identify areas of weakness (possibly to make personnel changes) while you still have time to do that.  

But I'm a little bit confused as to your comment that "almost [y]our entire team is going to be new."  Earlier in this thread, you indicated that Venice was losing 13 of its 22 starters.   If my math is right (and it may not be, since I didn't use a calculator), that means that Venice will be returning 9 of its 22 starters.  Stated another way, approximately 40% of the starters will be coming back.    That's not a bad starting point. 

5 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I agree that playing a really good team early on is a great way to test your team, force preparation and, most of all, identify areas of weakness (possibly to make personnel changes) while you still have time to do that.  

But I'm a little bit confused as to your comment that "almost [y]our entire team is going to be new."  Earlier in this thread, you indicated that Venice was losing 13 of its 22 starters.   If my math is right (and it may not be, since I didn't use a calculator), that means that Venice will be returning 9 of its 22 starters.  Stated another way, approximately 40% of the starters will be coming back.    That's not a bad starting point. 

Maybe in your eyes but some of those kids just cannot be replaced. I understand that 40 percent of the team coming back may sound enticing but also keep in mind that that means that roughly 60 percent of the team is going to be lagging behind and learning the playbook while a considerable minority will be mostly ready to play right out of the gate. Playing IMG so early is a metaphorical kick in the butt; it gives the new kids a reason to catch up quickly. Who wouldn't want to knock off the number 1 team in the country? So, any team that wants to get a boost out of the gate should really try to schedule tough. You don't have to break your back playing the IMG's and STA's of the world, but Venice chooses to do so. With that in mind, anything less than a victory is a disappointment. I know that Venice is probably going to lose this game badly, but if the new kids on the team can get off to a fast start and at least give IMG a rough challenge, the coaching staff will be very happy. 

3 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Maybe in your eyes but some of those kids just cannot be replaced. I understand that 40 percent of the team coming back may sound enticing but also keep in mind that that means that roughly 60 percent of the team is going to be lagging behind and learning the playbook while a considerable minority will be mostly ready to play right out of the gate. Playing IMG so early is a metaphorical kick in the butt; it gives the new kids a reason to catch up quickly. Who wouldn't want to knock off the number 1 team in the country? So, any team that wants to get a boost out of the gate should really try to schedule tough. You don't have to break your back playing the IMG's and STA's of the world, but Venice chooses to do so. With that in mind, anything less than a victory is a disappointment. I know that Venice is probably going to lose this game badly, but if the new kids on the team can get off to a fast start and at least give IMG a rough challenge, the coaching staff will be very happy. 

On the defensive side of the ball where Venice was excellent, they do lose 2 outstanding LB's but the All-State 8A was just announced and they do return 2 DL and 1 DB that were first team.   That ain't to shabby to build around. 

13 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

On the defensive side of the ball where Venice was excellent, they do lose 2 outstanding LB's but the All-State 8A was just announced and they do return 2 DL and 1 DB that were first team.   That ain't to shabby to build around. 

Very true. Just out of curiosity, does Osceola need a Week 4?

13 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Very true. Just out of curiosity, does Osceola need a Week 4?

Not sure where their schedule stands.  I do know they were trying to get a rematch with Cocoa but not getting much response from their end.  Heard several other top flight teams in the mix but not firmed up yet.  Venice is a hike and I think OHS would be open if you travel.  Call .

28 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Not sure where their schedule stands.  I do know they were trying to get a rematch with Cocoa but not getting much response from their end.  Heard several other top flight teams in the mix but not firmed up yet.  Venice is a hike and I think OHS would be open if you travel.  Call .

We would most definitely make the trip. I will email Coach Peacock right away.

7 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Hopefully Cocoa makes that game happen. Would be a great rivalry to build. If Melbourne keeps their momentum going maybe y'all could start a battle for 192 lol.

I know Melbourne OC started a back and forth with Cocoa's DB coach which prompted a debate on them scheduling each other week 1 or 4 I think. 

3 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Hopefully Cocoa makes that game happen. Would be a great rivalry to build. If Melbourne keeps their momentum going maybe y'all could start a battle for 192 lol.

I know Melbourne OC started a back and forth with Cocoa's DB coach which prompted a debate on them scheduling each other week 1 or 4 I think. 

I agree, that would be a nice rivalry kind of like we had over a decade ago with Palm Bay when they were rolling.  Haven't heard much scuttle butt regarding Melbourne, but we have played Rockledge in the past and they are in the mix for 2022.   Week 5 is when we are working on with our schedule. 

22 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I agree, that would be a nice rivalry kind of like we had over a decade ago with Palm Bay when they were rolling.  Haven't heard much scuttle butt regarding Melbourne, but we have played Rockledge in the past and they are in the mix for 2022.   Week 5 is when we are working on with our schedule. 

Melbourne just had a breakout season that wasn't too much expected kinda like Merritt Island. But they didn't win the big games. They just have a lot of confidence after the season.

The Rockledge game is gonna be a defensive battle for sure. If y'all get Cocoa on board then yall will have the top 2 teams in Brevard on y'all schedule.

1 hour ago, KeemD321 said:

Melbourne just had a breakout season that wasn't too much expected kinda like Merritt Island. But they didn't win the big games. They just have a lot of confidence after the season.

The Rockledge game is gonna be a defensive battle for sure. If y'all get Cocoa on board then yall will have the top 2 teams in Brevard on y'all schedule.

Both defenses will be stout as we return most top performers although we lose Jeremiah Wilson to Syracuse and Kaylon Walters to Charleston Southern. But Bo Masco returns and he made 1st team All state DB.  Along with Lacory Walker who recently received offer from Ole Miss as well as WR Ja'Keem Jackson who played DB sparingly but has picked up offers from FAU, Iowa State, Kentucky and Tennessee to play that position.  Other up and comers are Jayden Bradford and Jalen Bell safety.  And of course the DL is intact from last year anchored by 2 4* players that also made the All State list.   Going to be tough sledding against that group. 

On 2/18/2022 at 10:54 AM, Ray Icaza said:

Both defenses will be stout as we return most top performers although we lose Jeremiah Wilson to Syracuse and Kaylon Walters to Charleston Southern. But Bo Masco returns and he made 1st team All state DB.  Along with Lacory Walker who recently received offer from Ole Miss as well as WR Ja'Keem Jackson who played DB sparingly but has picked up offers from FAU, Iowa State, Kentucky and Tennessee to play that position.  Other up and comers are Jayden Bradford and Jalen Bell safety.  And of course the DL is intact from last year anchored by 2 4* players that also made the All State list.   Going to be tough sledding against that group. 

Last year was an incredible game. If Cocoa and Osceola play again, I expect nothing less than a game like last year’s showdown. It sounds like Osceola has a strong foundation returning; off to a great start already to remain in contention for a chance at the 8A title. 

3 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Last year was an incredible game. If Cocoa and Osceola play again, I expect nothing less than a game like last year’s showdown. It sounds like Osceola has a strong foundation returning; off to a great start already to remain in contention for a chance at the 8A title. 

Can't wait to see what new suburban class Osceola will be in.

1 hour ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Can't wait to see what new suburban class Osceola will be in.

Wouldn't be surprised if it were with the Lakeland duo as the enrollment numbers are similar.  Last couple of years we were just barely over the 7A threshold and got bumped to 8A.  Obviously, the nearby Metro schools that they moved us to won't be in the cards.  Plus a good number of our Regional opponents came from the Hillsborough/Sarasota area and that is out.  Very good question.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:10 PM, Ray Icaza said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it were with the Lakeland duo as the enrollment numbers are similar.  Last couple of years we were just barely over the 7A threshold and got bumped to 8A.  Obviously, the nearby Metro schools that they moved us to won't be in the cards.  Plus a good number of our Regional opponents came from the Hillsborough/Sarasota area and that is out.  Very good question.

Like the mid 2000's, lol.  Come on back Osceola.  That was a fun district.