Pinkos power rankings

DisabledAccount

Florida power 25 & Boyd Anderson made it I'm sorry but what have they done to receive so much hype they were 0-10 2013 2-8 in 2014 & a first round playoff excited in 2015

& this year they gave up 44 points to freaking stoneman Douglas team & they beat a Creek team who lost everyone plus their head coach over the Summer.

I'm sorry their Good but their Not As Good as their Rankings or their hype & 2 blowout loses to IMG & STA will expose that and I can't wait.

& u have carol city whose 1-2 at 23 & what were they last year a 2nd round blowout playoff exit & this year their only lone win came against a lakeland team who just refuse to show up at home vs them I'm not buying the hype yo.

Are these Teams Good & respectable but in my opinion Right now their not TOP ANYTHING

Exactly what this is. All of it is data driven with Pinkos. There is no human opinion. The computer is not liking something out of Aquinas and that could be the fact of that loss to BTW now stinging due to Miami Jackson throwing in the monkey wrench (which is another reason I love HSFB because of this).

There was a pretty good back and forth about this on twitter last night.

I never put much into rankings and polls. They are usually human opinion (bias) or a flawed "formula". I think Josh's will have the most legitimacy out of all of them because he'll take all of this information and put some common sense behind it.

Pinko's is interesting because if Braden River and St. Thomas were meeting up this week, Pinkos forecast would have Braden River as a 20 point favorite. Braden River and Venice are going to be a force in the south this year. I really think the gap between them and STA is not as large as originally thought at the beginning of the season in the south. 

In the north, I truly have no idea. I would love to be able to justify Lakeland, but they are going to have to show me more than 2 wins against weak opponents and a drubbing against a formerly winless Carol City team. Columbia was my other top north team and they have not shown much this season either. Now, both of those teams still have 7 weeks to get back on track, and I fully expect them to. But, right now, Viera (who I wrote off at the beginning of the season) is looking like they are currently the north front-runner. They should blow out Kathleen this weekend.

In the end, I think 7A is going to be very competitive. STA is still the favorite, but I think they will have legitimate challengers. I'm just glad the game is played on the field and not in the polls.

There was a pretty good back and forth about this on twitter last night.

I never put much into rankings and polls. They are usually human opinion (bias) or a flawed "formula". I think Josh's will have the most legitimacy out of all of them because he'll take all of this information and put some common sense behind it.

Pinko's is interesting because if Braden River and St. Thomas were meeting up this week, Pinkos forecast would have Braden River as a 20 point favorite. Braden River and Venice are going to be a force in the south this year. I really think the gap between them and STA is not as large as originally thought at the beginning of the season in the south.

In the north, I truly have no idea. I would love to be able to justify Lakeland, but they are going to have to show me more than 2 wins against weak opponents and a drubbing against a formerly winless Carol City team. Columbia was my other top north team and they have not shown much this season either. Now, both of those teams still have 7 weeks to get back on track, and I fully expect them to. But, right now, Viera (who I wrote off at the beginning of the season) is looking like they are currently the north front-runner. They should blow out Kathleen this weekend.

In the end, I think 7A is going to be very competitive. STA is still the favorite, but I think they will have legitimate challengers. I'm just glad the game is played on the field and not in the polls.

Columbia will get better as season goes along but right now we got our backs to a wall and a sword sticking on our neck, Lee might be our toughest challenge in our district and we play them in 2 days at home and have literly no momentum heading into a must win game, we got to get our act together and fast bc we don't have any time to waste, it sink or swim for rest of year, too much talent on this Columbia team to not make something with it and with all the hours the players and coaches put in we shouldn't be 1-2

Not only do the coaches and players stay here working till dark wether it film, lifting weights, conditioning, or on field drills and heck, the coaches come up here on weekends to study film and even offer the players to come do the same, too much time that the people here invest to fail, we HAVE to play better then we have so far, I see the defense almost fully clicking as we started to handle the pass better last week, but offense has got to start sustaining drives, putting up points, and most of all, no turnovers

Ok rant over lol

Pinkos - Here's what I've come to learn about his system.  #1 While boasting that his accuracy is around 80%, when the spread is 10 points or less, the accuracy is only about 50%.  To which I say Duh, the majority of high school games one team is a clear cut favorite.  #2.  His formula starts the season based on prior years results, as does Lazindex and Maxpreps.  OK fine, but how is a computer supposed to know if a really good team graduated a bunch of players and might be down, or an average team returned a bunch of starters and probably going to make a run this year?  It don't!  To which the computer pollsters will argue that this will correct as the year plays out.  Perhaps, but I have seen teams get overrated, have a good but not great year and still ranked too high.   #3.  They all tend to award teams for offense and margin of victory.  Example: Team A is suppose to win over Team B by 20.  Team A wins by only 14, they get penalized but if they win by 21, they get rewarded.  #4. Lastly, some teams just match up well with others.  The only way to know this is to have seen both first hand.  

Pinkos - Here's what I've come to learn about his system.  #1 While boasting that his accuracy is around 80%, when the spread is 10 points or less, the accuracy is only about 50%.  To which I say Duh, the majority of high school games one team is a clear cut favorite.  #2.  His formula starts the season based on prior years results, as does Lazindex and Maxpreps.  OK fine, but how is a computer supposed to know if a really good team graduated a bunch of players and might be down, or an average team returned a bunch of starters and probably going to make a run this year?  It don't!  To which the computer pollsters will argue that this will correct as the year plays out.  Perhaps, but I have seen teams get overrated, have a good but not great year and still ranked too high.   #3.  They all tend to award teams for offense and margin of victory.  Example: Team A is suppose to win over Team B by 20.  Team A wins by only 14, they get penalized but if they win by 21, they get rewarded.  #4. Lastly, some teams just match up well with others.  The only way to know this is to have seen both first hand.  

On the other side of the coin you have the sports writers opinion  and i know a sports writer from south Florida covering teams in that area will never get to see a game played in north Florida but the may still have the option to vote in that poll. So i say they are all flawed some what, I like the mixture of human and computer polls to establish a ranking, Not that it means anything it's just fun to read and talk about. 

On the other side of the coin you have the sports writers opinion  and i know a sports writer from south Florida covering teams in that area will never get to see a game played in north Florida but the may still have the option to vote in that poll. So i say they are all flawed some what, I like the mixture of human and computer polls to establish a ranking, Not that it means anything it's just fun to read and talk about. 

Sportswriters have to keep their readers and subscribers happy.  And most of these sportswriters know very little outside their coverage area.  

This particular poll is biased based off of margin of victory. HWY 17 has it pinned.

Venice ranked #2 in the power 25 ? I don't think that is realistic. Venice #1 is 7A again a bit of a long shot.

He also has Venice 69 points favored vs North Port in the first district game this Fri. While all signs point to a large victory, if they do not cover that 69 points the next week the rankings will reflect it and Venice will drop.

The teams I have seen play this year-Lakeland in the spring-Plant in preseason-Camden County (who are a shell of what they used to be)  Manatee and Venice would have a difficult time with what STA brings to the table. As the year goes along I think that STA will show its true rankings come November.

Now with that all said I hope someone will take that step towards putting STA out of the playoffs.

This particular poll is biased based off of margin of victory. HWY 17 has it pinned.

Venice ranked #2 in the power 25 ? I don't think that is realistic. Venice #1 is 7A again a bit of a long shot.

He also has Venice 69 points favored vs North Port in the first district game this Fri. While all signs point to a large victory, if they do not cover that 69 points the next week the rankings will reflect it and Venice will drop.

The teams I have seen play this year-Lakeland in the spring-Plant in preseason-Camden County (who are a shell of what they used to be) Manatee and Venice would have a difficult time with what STA brings to the table. As the year goes along I think that STA will show its true rankings come November.

Now with that all said I hope someone will take that step towards putting STA out of the playoffs.

Tired of same teams always winning, time for new blood

At the end of the day if it bothers you so much create your own poll. Which will be as accurate as just about any other, because they are all opinion. The computer polls at least have the opportunity to calculate out a scale by the end of the season. But a ranking don't mean spit without a championship. I'd rather be unranked alllllll day and win my district over being #1 in some bs poll and getting beat in the last week

At the end of the day if it bothers you so much create your own poll. Which will be as accurate as just about any other, because they are all opinion. The computer polls at least have the opportunity to calculate out a scale by the end of the season. But a ranking don't mean spit without a championship. I'd rather be unranked alllllll day and win my district over being #1 in some bs poll and getting beat in the last week

I agree and btw I do make my own polls, I will do a small class and big class top 25 next week

That's all well and good this year but next year computer polls and expert opinions will matter.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I wouldn't want to be misleading. I was under the impression the new system awarded points for wins. More for teams with 8 or more wins and less for teams with 3 or less wins. It also awards bonuses for teams playing up in classification. So where do expert opinions and polls come in to play?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I wouldn't want to be misleading. I was under the impression the new system awarded points for wins. More for teams with 8 or more wins and less for teams with 3 or less wins. It also awards bonuses for teams playing up in classification. So where do expert opinions and polls come in to play?

They took that last part out

It just seems to me that in some areas teams will play very similar if not the same schedules and could very easily end up with the same record.  This is even more likely if 2 or 3 teams try to avoid each other until the playoffs. At that point polls or opinions will have to be used.