Venice releases their 2023 schedule

VeniceIndianFan

In the spirit of getting back on track and trying to talk some football, Venice has released their full schedule for the 2023 season:

Week 0 - Tampa Bay Tech

Week 1 - Armwood

Week 2 - @ Cocoa

Week 3 - @ Miami Northwestern

Week 4 - Bye

Week 5 - River Ridge

Week 6 - Riverview

Week 7 - Manatee

Week 8 - Sarasota

Week 9 - Palmetto

Week 10 - IMG's Varsity Team

Week 11 - Clearwater

Thoughts? This schedule looks much more manageable than what Venice has played the past few seasons. Still tough, though a bit disappointing. I think they can go undefeated or just have one loss. 

9 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

In the spirit of getting back on track and trying to talk some football, Venice has released their full schedule for the 2023 season:

Week 0 - Tampa Bay Tech

Week 1 - Armwood

Week 2 - @ Cocoa

Week 4 - Bye

Week 5 - River Ridge

Week 6 - Riverview

Week 7 - Manatee

Week 8 - Sarasota

Week 9 - Palmetto

Week 11 - Clearwater

Thoughts? This schedule looks much more manageable than what Venice has played the past few seasons. Still tough, though a bit disappointing. I think they can go undefeated or just have one loss. 

Looks like a solid schedule except for the fact they still don't like to leave their friendly confines much. :lol:

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Week 0 - Tampa Bay Tech

Week 1 - Armwood

Week 2 - @ Cocoa

Week 4 - Bye

Week 5 - River Ridge

Week 6 - Riverview

Week 7 - Manatee

Week 8 - Sarasota

Week 9 - Palmetto

Week 11 - Clearwater

I only see them losing one of their away games. With the most likely candidate being Cocoa as the trap game. 

Schedule is very manageable and very likely to go undefeated.

36 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

I only see them losing one of their away games. With the most likely candidate being Cocoa as the trap game. 

Schedule is very manageable and very likely to go undefeated.

Schedule is more manageable, but I would say that there are no "weak," opponents on there.

Venice can never seem to beat Armwood. Not to mention the fact that Armwood returns 16 starters from last year.

Their two toughest matchups by far in Cocoa and MNW, are back-to-back on the road. Cocoa can't be more pleased to get Venice at home week 2 after playing a very rough game. Plus, Venice will be on a short week both times in Weeks 2 and 3 for travel. If both teams go into week 3 unbeaten, I expect ESPN to pick up Venice vs MNW so even more pressure could be on Venice to win that game.

I don't know much about River Ridge. I've heard on Twitter that they are a team on the rise. Iron sharpens iron!

Riverview is taking their bye week before playing Venice to give themselves two weeks to prepare to try to win the district.

Sarasota is racing full speed ahead in the right direction.

Manatee is fielding their best team since 2009 when they beat STA to make the 5A state championship. Their entire defense returns save for one safety and 8 of their offensive starters are back. Maybe their best defensive line in school history with one of the top DT prospects in the nation in Tyreek Robinson and the return of Max Freeman, Tristan Titus, and Alvoid Kennon. Manatee has a team that could win this region over Venice and meet Lakeland in the 4S state championship. Can't afford to sleep on them at all.

Palmetto will have a young team but they always challenge us. It's a fun rivalry.

IMG's Varsity Team is better than advertised. They got off to a red-hot start against Venice last year before the game got away from them. To get the #1 seed in our playoff bracket, we can't afford to overlook anyone, especially nobody with the name "IMG" on their jerseys! 

CAI is tough. They beat Venice last year in the season finale. They get most of their players from Canada and other states. A mini-IMG in Clearwater. Venice won't overlook them this time and should win this game.

5 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Week 0 - Tampa Bay Tech

Week 1 - Armwood

Week 2 - @ Cocoa

Week 4 - Bye

Week 5 - River Ridge

Week 6 - Riverview

Week 7 - Manatee

Week 8 - Sarasota

Week 9 - Palmetto

Week 11 - Clearwater

It's a solid schedule. Venice should end up in the 10 - 0 to 8 -2 range.  How's the 2023 Venice compare with last year's team? I know you got your usual transfers, but what's the situation with solid returning kids?  

6 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Week 0 - Tampa Bay Tech

Week 1 - Armwood

Week 2 - @ Cocoa

Week 4 - Bye

Week 5 - River Ridge

Week 6 - Riverview

Week 7 - Manatee

Week 8 - Sarasota

Week 9 - Palmetto

Week 11 - Clearwater

Why is this schedule a bit disappointing?

23 minutes ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Why is this schedule a bit disappointing?

No IMG National or Seminole rematch. No Miami Central, STA, Chaminade, AHP, or any of the really good Central Florida teams beyond Cocoa?  Not any out of state teams at all? I'm still waiting for the day when Venice schedules Mater Dei or SJB on ESPN and there are fans spilling out of the stadium and into the parking lot. lol. But it is a really good schedule.

The 4S state championship might not include Venice this coming season! Look out for Manatee to field their best team since 2009 and for Sarasota to win a playoff game once again as they continue to move in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It's a solid schedule. Venice should end up in the 10 - 0 to 8 -2 range.  How's the 2023 Venice compare with last year's team? I know you got your usual transfers, but what's the situation with solid returning kids?  

Probably our best offensive line in school history as every single starter from last season returns. In fact, we didn't have one single senior on the roster last year across the entire OL. We've never been in that position before. We are fielding our most experienced running back room in school history as we have Alvin Johnson, Jamarice Wilder, and Ashari Charles all returning. Wilder and Johnson split carries last season, with Ashari taking some snaps in lopsided affairs. Ryan Matulevich and Adam Paponotanikis return at receiver and transfer Jayce Barksdale will make an impact as well. Jackson Scott will come in from JV to play tight end. Transfer Jayden Glasser from South Plantation should operate our offense nicely.

Defensively, we are losing basically our entire backfield with the graduation of Sage Youtzy, Elliot Washington, Jaquavious Washington, and James Huber. The entire defensive line graduates. Deylen Platt returns at cornerback, and all 3 of our starting LBers in Elijah Seed, Carter Dalton, and Kammring Herring return. We will have newcomers Brycen Fraser and Chad Fleming playing the other 2 cornerback slots. On our defensive line, newcomers Eli Jones and Shamar Littles will attempt to fill the void with the graduation of Tyler Anderson and Damon Wilson at edge. Before Trenton came back from injury last season, we had a linebacker playing DT... not good. Ryan Daly, transfer from IMG will be taking the spot of Trenton while David Galloway plays next to him. 

Overall, not a horrible starting point. But having such a new defense may hurt them in the beginning, so those early games against high-powered offenses (TBT, Armwood, Cocoa, MNW,) may prove to be tough learning curves. Overall, I see Venice finishing 8-2 with them dropping either the Cocoa or MNW game, and then being shocked by Manatee in Week 7. Have to wait and see!

2 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

No IMG National or Seminole rematch. No Miami Central, STA, Chaminade, AHP, or any of the really good Central Florida teams beyond Cocoa?  Not any out of state teams at all? I'm still waiting for the day when Venice schedules Mater Dei or SJB on ESPN and there are fans spilling out of the stadium and into the parking lot. lol. But it is a really good schedule.

The 4S state championship might not include Venice this coming season! Look out for Manatee to field their best team since 2009 and for Sarasota to win a playoff game once again as they continue to move in the right direction. 

Venice should make another run at a title in 4S. I expect Peacock will find a way to get past Manatee. You may run into stiff competition from Deland, Osceola and Bartram Trail come playoff time.

It's a pity Apopka and Venice did not schedule each other this year. Apopka should have its most talented team in the era of Jeff Rolson at the helm. It will be a young but very gifted team on both sides of the ball and should again be a live threat to make the 4M final.

Offensively, I expect that they will open up the game a lot more than in recent years and will be 50/50 run pass as the freshman QB from last year matures.

If JR gets over the hump this time, they have a real shot at going back to back in 23/24. 

17 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Schedule is more manageable, but I would say that there are no "weak," opponents on there.

Venice can never seem to beat Armwood. Not to mention the fact that Armwood returns 16 starters from last year.

Their two toughest matchups by far in Cocoa and MNW, are back-to-back on the road. Cocoa can't be more pleased to get Venice at home week 2 after playing a very rough game. Plus, Venice will be on a short week both times in Weeks 2 and 3 for travel. If both teams go into week 3 unbeaten, I expect ESPN to pick up Venice vs MNW so even more pressure could be on Venice to win that game.

I don't know much about River Ridge. I've heard on Twitter that they are a team on the rise. Iron sharpens iron!

Riverview is taking their bye week before playing Venice to give themselves two weeks to prepare to try to win the district.

Sarasota is racing full speed ahead in the right direction.

Manatee is fielding their best team since 2009 when they beat STA to make the 5A state championship. Their entire defense returns save for one safety and 8 of their offensive starters are back. Maybe their best defensive line in school history with one of the top DT prospects in the nation in Tyreek Robinson and the return of Max Freeman, Tristan Titus, and Alvoid Kennon. Manatee has a team that could win this region over Venice and meet Lakeland in the 4S state championship. Can't afford to sleep on them at all.

Palmetto will have a young team but they always challenge us. It's a fun rivalry.

IMG's Varsity Team is better than advertised. They got off to a red-hot start against Venice last year before the game got away from them. To get the #1 seed in our playoff bracket, we can't afford to overlook anyone, especially nobody with the name "IMG" on their jerseys! 

CAI is tough. They beat Venice last year in the season finale. They get most of their players from Canada and other states. A mini-IMG in Clearwater. Venice won't overlook them this time and should win this game.

Are yall playing Clearwater or CAI?

17 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Venice should make another run at a title in 4S. I expect Peacock will find a way to get past Manatee. You may run into stiff competition from Deland, Osceola and Bartram Trail come playoff time.

It's a pity Apopka and Venice did not schedule each other this year. Apopka should have its most talented team in the era of Jeff Rolson at the helm. It will be a young but very gifted team on both sides of the ball and should again be a live threat to make the 4M final.

Offensively, I expect that they will open up the game a lot more than in recent years and will be 50/50 run pass as the freshman QB from last year matures.

If JR gets over the hump this time, they have a real shot at going back to back in 23/24. 

A few weird bounces of the ball and Apopka wins that game over Columbus. They've been extremely close twice. Is the third time the charm? 

Glad to hear that the Darters are fielding a strong team once again! 4M should be a rematch of Columbus vs the Darters, and hopefully with different results this time! 

24 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

A few weird bounces of the ball and Apopka wins that game over Columbus. They've been extremely close twice. Is the third time the charm? 

Glad to hear that the Darters are fielding a strong team once again! 4M should be a rematch of Columbus vs the Darters, and hopefully with different results this time! 

Thanks. We will see. Apopka will have a lot of talent, but some of the key pieces will be first year starters, so it remains to be seen how quickly they fulfil their potential. Apopka has the same schedule it did last year, which is solid but not especially tough. The most difficult games, aside from the KOC against Osceola and the Spring game against Jones, will be the Seminole and Edgewater games. 

I believe we beat Edgewater this year. The Seminole game should be a toss up at their place, but even when they have more talent than we do (and I don't think this will be the case this year) we find a way to beat them more often than not. 

Our district should come down to Seminole/Lake Mary/Apopka. 

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Thanks. We will see. Apopka will have a lot of talent, but some of the key pieces will be first year starters, so it remains to be seen how quickly they fulfil their potential. Apopka has the same schedule it did last year, which is solid but not especially tough. The most difficult games, aside from the KOC against Osceola and the Spring game against Jones, will be the Seminole and Edgewater games. 

I believe we beat Edgewater this year. The Seminole game should be a toss up at their place, but even when they have more talent than we do (and I don't think this will be the case this year) we find a way to beat them more often than not. 

Our district should come down to Seminole/Lake Mary/Apopka. 

Our schedule is also virtually the same as last year, so pretty stiff again.  I expected us to be better offensively and will continue to lean on the run.  The OL returns intact but one starter as well as virtually every backup.  With an excellent RB group returning we shouldn't miss a beat.  Like Apopka, we have some young talent that will need to grow quickly on the DL as replacing Walker, LeBlanc and Palermo is daunting.  Our returning LB group is experienced and talented with the 2 soph starters already picking up some Power 5 offers while the junior was 2nd team All State this year.  Secondary also needs to grow quickly as we graduated heavy talent there also.  Will have some good tests early with Spring Game @ Edgewater on May 17th then the KOC with you guys.   Will start checking them out at practice starting next week. 

On 4/18/2023 at 11:09 PM, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I see 9-1 maybe 8-2

i can see a lost at traz (yes I know you guys demolished the bulls there 2 years ago) I See that game going to the wire and the bulls winning 28-21 at home.

the toss up game is @cocoa that game can go either way. Good luck on the season Brodie. 

Thank you sir! Best of luck to your Panthers as well. It’s time for Dillard to finally kick STA’s ass and get HFA!

• 2 months later...