Thoughts about IMG

OldSchoolLion

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

... guess that started about the same time we started "grading" teams based on 1/2 of penalty-ridden play in a preseason football game.:)   

Atlanta 0-4 and New England 1-3 in 2017 NFL preseason.  Maybe there is something to learn from coaches in the NFL who don't show all their cards when "real" games are not on the line.

You watched the game

Did we really show too many cards based on what you watched? 

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

How many carries and how many rushing yards did Columbia have in the first half?

We were smart enough to realize early that their is weaknesses in the secondary and attacked it

Opportunistic teams look for a weakness and hit it over and over until someone stops it

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

We were smart enough to realize early that their is weaknesses in the secondary and attacked it

Opportunistic teams look for a weakness and hit it over and over until someone stops it

If your priority is to win, sure.  But the main priority of smart coaches in scrimmages and preseason games is not to win...it is to work the playbook and identify opportunities to improve the offense.  

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

If your priority is to win, sure.  But the main priority of smart coaches in scrimmages and preseason games is not to win...it is to work the playbook and identify opportunities to improve the offense.  

Let me ask you something 

How many teams on the schedule do you realistically see being able to have huge dudes to stuff the run game like IMG could

Should we have tried to run more? Perhaps but we will work a running game in

As you said a smart coach ain't gonna show all his cards in a preseason game 

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Let me ask you something 

How many teams on the schedule do you realistically see being able to have huge dudes to stuff the run game like IMG could

Should we have tried to run more? Perhaps but we will work a running game in

As you said a smart coach ain't gonna show all his cards in a preseason game 

I liked what I saw from Columbia's defense.  What we do not know is how the Dline plays in a second half after being banged on by a big Oline.  And if the DB's can keep the same pace they did the first half.       

Concerning the offense, we did not get to see a balanced attack.  Does NOT mean Columbia does not have one...simply did not see it.  The offense got a lot of help from some silly interference penalties that they may not get against a more disciplined secondary.  The WR's dropped a couple of wide open, long passes.  Columbia may not be able to get away with that and win in another situation.  IMG's defense looked like they were wearing concrete shoes at times.  Against a super fast, agile defense, Columbia's offense may not be as successful.  

From a team perspective, I saw some lack of discipline that cost them penalties, ie jawing with IMG.  Once again, very difficult to win big games with that stuff.  In summary, what I saw was promise.  Was it enough to say they are capable of beating any team in the state?  No.   

As I watch the Corky Kell Classic this weekend, I see some teams that are further ahead of both Columbia and IMG in terms of season-readiness and crispness of play.  They look like they are in mid-season form.  Last night's game vs IMG was painful to watch at times.  

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I liked what I saw from Columbia's defense.  What we do not know is how the Dline plays in a second half after being banged on by a big Oline.  And if the DB's can keep the same pace they did the first half.       

Concerning the offense, we did not get to see a balanced attack.  Does NOT mean Columbia does not have one...simply did not see it.  The offense got a lot of help from some silly interference penalties that they may not get against a more disciplined secondary.  The WR's dropped a couple of wide open, long passes.  Columbia may not be able to get away with that and win in another situation.  IMG's defense looked like they were wearing concrete shoes at times.  Against a super fast, agile defense, Columbia's offense may not be as successful.  

From a team perspective, I saw some lack of discipline that cost them penalties, ie jawing with IMG.  Once again, very difficult to win big games with that stuff.  In summary, what I saw was promise.  Was it enough to say they are capable of beating any team in the state?  No.   

As I watch the Corky Kell Classic this weekend, I see some teams that are further ahead of both Columbia and IMG in terms of season-readiness and crispness of play.  They look like they are in mid-season form.  Last night's game vs IMG was painful to watch at times.  

GA is a game ahead of FL just a heads up so yeah GA teams should be further advanced

If they weren't i would question why people think they such a good football state 

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Basically everything you listed while true are correctable 

They did drop some easy passes but being First game i doubt this issue can't be corrected 

We will see Thursday what defense can do in a full game 

5 hours ago, Bamarod said:

OSLion, on conditioning of IMG team. The 400lb OL from last year is Evan Neal down to 360 and the top tackle in high school football. The staff has done an incredible job turning Neal's personal potential into reality. At this years Opening he dominated the top DEs in the country.  

My point is a lot of these guys come to the program with serious conditioning issues and some understand with proper discipline and diet can become elite.Hoping to get Neal at Bama next year at 345 and fighting for playing time. 

Was thinking of Daniel Faalele when I mentioned a 6'9" 400-pound player.  I realize IMG may get players with serious conditioning issues and may have limited time to work with them.  In that sense, it is not their fault if someone begins the season overweight.   

It's one thing when a team has one freak of nature.  What I see with IMG is a lot of them.  Whether it is IMG's intent or not, they portray an image...imo an unhealthy one.  Some kids will think they need to be 325 pounds or more to "make it"  as a lineman.   

Also, with growing concerns over injuries, I can see parents saying "no way" to their 150-pound kid playing football when they see a line full of 6'4" 300+pound IMG linemen on ESPN.  We don't allow 300+pound kids to wrestle for a reason. 

It's becoming a freak show, and if we are not careful, it will become an exclusive game and will lose favor with mainstream America.  It has already happened with bodybuilding.   

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I take it you saw Colquitt...they are nasty good.  NG and Buford are as well.   Best of luck to Wekiva and DFB, but I see Ls comin.

3 hours ago, 954gator said:

I take it you saw Colquitt...they are nasty good.  NG and Buford are as well.   Best of luck to Wekiva and DFB, but I see Ls comin.

Wekiva may have a chance. They are very nasty on defense and have a solid, if not yet spectacular, offense. 

If they lose, their undoing may be their special teams. We will see in a little. 

10 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Was thinking of Daniel Faalele when I mentioned a 6'9" 400-pound player.  I realize IMG may get players with serious conditioning issues and may have limited time to work with them.  In that sense, it is not their fault if someone begins the season overweight.   

It's one thing when a team has one freak of nature.  What I see with IMG is a lot of them.  Whether it is IMG's intent or not, they portray an image...imo an unhealthy one.  Some kids will think they need to be 325 pounds or more to "make it"  as a lineman.   

Also, with growing concerns over injuries, I can see parents saying "no way" to their 150-pound kid playing football when they see a line full of 6'4" 300+pound IMG linemen on ESPN.  We don't allow 300+pound kids to wrestle for a reason. 

It's becoming a freak show, and if we are not careful, it will become an exclusive game and will lose favor with mainstream America.  It has already happened with bodybuilding.   

For high school, I'll take a 250-275 lb lineman over a 300 lb lineman anyday

45 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

For high school, I'll take a 250-275 lb lineman over a 300 lb lineman anyday

Jawaan Taylor at 345lbs intercepted a Gonzaga pass at the 30 yard line and out ran the entire Gonzaga offense to score a 70 yard TD. He could run the 40 in under 5. He even ran track. I'll admit he was a rare freak of nature, but that is the kind of athlete IMG likes. Freaks of the gridiron.

Point is not all super heavy athletes are mushy doe boys. That said, I do understand the concern for over weigh kids running the risk of major health problems, not just late in life but during a season and before they graduate. Heat and hard workouts can kill.

44 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Jawaan Taylor at 345lbs intercepted a Gonzaga pass at the 30 yard line and out ran the entire Gonzaga offense to score a 70 yard TD. He could run the 40 in under 5. He even ran track. I'll admit he was a rare freak of nature, but that is the kind of athlete IMG likes. Freaks of the gridiron.

Point is not all super heavy athletes are mushy doe boys. That said, I do understand the concern for over weigh kids running the risk of major health problems, not just late in life but during a season and before they graduate. Heat and hard workouts can kill.

That's the exception not the rule. Too often I see hs players over 300 lb and they may be strong but they aren't in the best shape. 

12 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

IMG ranking does not change.  I guess some do not get overly excited about preseason games.:rolleyes:

wall_rankings.png

Team rankings updated on: 8/19/2018 12:49 PM

MaxPreps' football rankings have been updated. IMG Academy's national and state rank have not changed. View Rankings

image.jpeg

They did drop with the AHP game in 2015 so obviously there is something missing 

And for record prep force did announce they wouldn't be number one nationally heading into this week so they did drop

Usa today probably will drop them as well 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They did drop with the AHP game in 2015 so obviously there is something missing 

And for record prep force did announce they wouldn't be number one nationally heading into this week so they did drop

Usa today probably will drop them as well 

I'm not an IMG fan so hopefully can objectively assess that half of football for what it was.  Something tells me their coaching staff is not that worried after that game.  Good coaches would not be.  Most coaches would love to have the "problem" IMG has with their defense.  It's an interesting topic because in today's age of polls some people don't recognize that there are certain programs that do better as the season progresses and coaches who coach for that...instead of worrying about early season rankings.     

Jaquaze Sorrells(DT) 4-star 

Nolan Smith(DE) 5-star 

Trevon Riggins(DE) 4-star 

Jaleel McRae(LB) 4-star 

Mikel Jones(LB) 4-star 

Briton Allen(S) 4-star 

Lejond Cavazos(S)  4-star