FHSAA Attendance Nightmare

gatorman-uf

I believe private schools no matter the school size do not bring large crowds. But the FHSAA has to be a little worried about attendance right now. Potentially 9 of 16 spots could be private schools. 

8A-columbus is a favorite to advance

7A-STA

5A- Trinity Christian, Tampa Jesuit, American Heritage-plantation, Cardinal Gibbons, bolles 

4A University 

3A all private lefts

2A all privates except Moore Haven.

21 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I believe private schools no matter the school size do not bring large crowds. But the FHSAA has to be a little worried about attendance right now. Potentially 9 of 16 spots could be private schools. 

7A-STA

5A- Trinity Christian, Tampa Jesuit, American Heritage-plantation, Cardinal Gibbons, bolles 

4A University 

3A all private lefts

In 5A, I am hoping one of Jones or Rockledge from East Central Florida can upset the apple cart in the South and advance. Jones would bring a good crowd, as the Citrus Bowl (Camping World) is about 400 meters north of the school. 

26 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

7A-STA

4A University 

3A all private lefts

Well you can eliminate Bolles, even if they somehow get past Godby this week Trinity Christian will beat them by 21+

Now the problem is that likely only leaves North Marion standing in way of Trinity Christian and a appearance at state

28 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

7A-STA

4A University 

3A all private lefts

Also Florida High is technically a public school in 3a

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

7A-STA

4A University 

3A all private lefts

Gatorman, 3A is not all private schools that are left. Florida High is a DRS which is public and Taylor County likely could make a run here. 

5A I said Trinity and Gibbons likely and I think that would draw a sizable crowd. 

Its the matchups not if a team is private or public. 

Another thing to consider.  In the upper classes, we could have a scenario in which 4 of the 8 state semis are held in Dade/Broward each year.  In the upper classes, the best shot for SW FL or the Panhandle to host a state semi is in 6A, and I could see those two games being held in Miami and the Tampa many years.

As I mentioned in another post, in the past 15 years, St Thomas has never lost a home playoff game and have only been knocked out while on the road.  In a manner of speaking, switching state semi locations has, at times, possibly helped to equalize some of the advantage of teams from big metro areas.  That approach has also allowed certain areas of the state to experience a "big" game, which is good for the fans.  It will be interesting to see how things play out.  

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Another thing to consider.  In the upper classes, we could have a scenario in which 4 of the 8 state semis are held in Dade/Broward each year.  In the upper classes, the best shot for SW FL or the Panhandle to host a state semi is in 6A, and I could see those two games being held in Miami and the Tampa many years.

As I mentioned in another post, in the past 15 years, St Thomas has never lost a home playoff game and have only been knocked out while on the road.  In a manner of speaking, switching state semi locations has, at times, possibly helped to equalize some of the advantage of teams from big metro areas.  That approach has also allowed certain areas of the state to experience a "big" game, which is good for the fans.  It will be interesting to see how things play out.  

As you are likely aware the host of the state semifinals now is decided on who had the highest point average between the two teams at the end of the regular season. Aquinas will host in this case. Columbia would host in the North. Homefield advantage is everything in the format we have now.

7 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Gatorman, 3A is not all private schools that are left. Florida High is a DRS which is public and Taylor County likely could make a run here. 

5A I said Trinity and Gibbons likely and I think that would draw a sizable crowd. 

Its the matchups not if a team is private or public. 

My apologies, I missed those 2.

I disagree that matchups would be biggest indicator of attendance. The teams playing have a large role. 2 public school teams will outdraw 2 private school teams.

Imagine a scenario where STA plays Columbus in Orlando and a situation where Columbia plays Vero Beach, which game has more in attendance. 

I just think attendance is better when public schools are there. I should say that goes for all sports.

51 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I disagree that matchups would be biggest indicator of attendance. The teams playing have a large role. 2 public school teams will outdraw 2 private school teams.

Imagine a scenario where STA plays Columbus in Orlando and a situation where Columbia plays Vero Beach, which game has more in attendance. 

I just think attendance is better when public schools are there. I should say that goes for all sports.

If they want the best possible attendance for 7a they should hope for Venice vs Columbia in finals

58 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

As you are likely aware the host of the state semifinals now is decided on who had the highest point average between the two teams at the end of the regular season. Aquinas will host in this case. Columbia would host in the North. Homefield advantage is everything in the format we have now.

It should be that way, switching every year was cheesy 

I would rather not have to look at fhsaa website to find out all the nonsense about what switch scenarios would send me on a road trip like i had to do on old system 

The seeding makes it so much easier to know what games we would host or travel for

55 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

And yes Columbia vs Vero Beach would have more attendance because both have a established fan bases

As I mentioned in another post, I struggle a bit with this "hybrid system" that uses a combination of district champions and power rankings to determine seeding.   If the latter makes sense, why not all in?  We had Hagerty with a 35.5 average hosting Lee with a 41.89 average.  If a function of the new system is to reward the "better" team with home field advantage, the results of some games reflect clearly that the better team did not have home field advantage. 

In the upper classes, 23/64 games this year were won by the visiting team. For some perspective, that number was 18 in 2016 and 20 in 2015 under the old system.  

In 7A this year, half of the games were won by the visiting team.  Not certain, but I would think that result would be somewhat rare historically.

15 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

That "L" team down my way would do pretty good as well with a 45 minute drive. ;)

Agreed, Venice's attendance at the state finals wasn't overwhelming, it was better than Armwood or Bartram Trail. The only team two teams that brought great crowds last year for the 6A 7A, 8A games were Miami Northwestern and Dr. Phillips. Armwood's was probably the smallest of the 6. I wonder if continued success, but lack of state championships make fans/alumni more hungry (thus showing up) like a Columbia or Vero Beach and if constant attendance at the state championship makes the games less special thus not attending (Armwood, Plant). 

51 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Agreed, Venice's attendance at the state finals wasn't overwhelming, it was better than Armwood or Bartram Trail. The only team two teams that brought great crowds last year for the 6A 7A, 8A games were Miami Northwestern and Dr. Phillips. Armwood's was probably the smallest of the 6. I wonder if continued success, but lack of state championships make fans/alumni more hungry (thus showing up) like a Columbia or Vero Beach and if constant attendance at the state championship makes the games less special thus not attending (Armwood, Plant). 

Well plant and armwood are both metro schools

Honestly it feels like rural areas do a lot better attendance wise which is why a school like MNW having a good crowd is impressive 

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

Some of the fan base for Venice is well older. That drive to Orlando was too much. 

I did think the crowd for Venice as what I expected. 

46 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well plant and armwood are both metro schools

Honestly it feels like rural areas do a lot better attendance wise which is why a school like MNW having a good crowd is impressive 

The Bulls are the historically black high school, together with BTW in Miami Dade. I think this has something to do with the fan base as it goes back to the days of segregation when it was the only option. So, today, there is probably  a certain pride in being a bull in Miami. 

Regarding Armwood, though like Apopka, they are in a large Metro County, like Apopka they are kind of on the outskirts. So, my initial reaction is they should have a larger base, but they don't. Not sure why. 

Threads like this make me wonder to myself, why do all of you care? I hated it when the FHSAA decided all state title games would be played at a neutral site. I hate that everything about these championship games other than the 2 teams playing, has everything to do with the FHSAA and what ever money they can make off it......instead of it fully being a 100% reward for the 2 schools that made it to the title game! 

So if the crowds are small, i say GOOD...........

The FHSAA allowed the privates for years to get away with open recruiting, and instead of fixing the problem only made it worse by allowing what amounts to open recruiting for everyone....public and private schools now. If the FHSAA takes in the back side financially..................again I say GOOD......

Those of us that support the teams that are fortunate to make to a title game will be there regardless.................I know I had no problem making the 10+ hour drive to the panhandle or the 4+hour drive to the Dade/Broward area for games..................(regular season or playoffs).........I just dont get it why any of you would care if the FHSAA might look bad if attendance suffers at these games......I sure dont 

5 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

Threads like this make me wonder to myself, why do all of you care? I hated it when the FHSAA decided all state title games would be played at a neutral site. I hate that everything about these championship games other than the 2 teams playing, has everything to do with the FHSAA and what ever money they can make off it......instead of it fully being a 100% reward for the 2 schools that made it to the title game! 

So if the crowds are small, i say GOOD...........

The FHSAA allowed the privates for years to get away with open recruiting, and instead of fixing the problem only made it worse by allowing what amounts to open recruiting for everyone....public and private schools now. If the FHSAA takes in the back side financially..................again I say GOOD......

Those of us that support the teams that are fortunate to make to a title game will be there regardless.................I know I had no problem making the 10+ hour drive to the panhandle or the 4+hour drive to the Dade/Broward area for games..................(regular season or playoffs).........I just dont get it why any of you would care if the FHSAA might look bad if attendance suffers at these games......I sure dont 

That's the problem, you think it was only privates recruiting 

You had (and still have)  metro publics recruiting worse than a lot of the privates in the state

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That's the problem, you think it was only privates recruiting 

You had (and still have)  metro publics recruiting worse than a lot of the privates in the state

I mentioned that as another symptom of what the FHSAA has become in not addressing things that have been and continue to be problems, the main body of my post had to do with the attendance concerns at the title games.....................but you focus'd on that........Thanks for you time.................next!

7 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

I mentioned that as another symptom of what the FHSAA has become in not addressing things that have been and continue to be problems, the main body of my post had to do with the attendance concerns at the title games.....................but you focus'd on that........Thanks for you time.................next!

I can comment on whatever i choose to 

If you don't like what i have to say keep scrolling but don't act like I'm below standards to have a opinion 

Here's something to ponder,  if you gonna pretend to be high and mighty at least give full disclosure on all the info and not just what fits your agenda

If you gonna claim the fhsaa sat back and allowed the privates to recruit you can't ignore the metro publics who did the same thing or in some cases worse than a huge majority of the privates

Not every private is Trinity Christian, Bolles, St Thomas Aquinas 

Those are schools in their own realm of talent pooling, most privates never come close to pulling in talent like those schools do