Disappointing 2022 teams

PinellasFB

4 hours ago, 181pl said:

Excellent post. Plant has 2 losses. One score to Tech, state finalist. 2 scores to another state finalist. You’d hope these losses don’t come back to haunt them. they beat alonso and they’re out right district champs so no big deal. If they don’t be Allonzo, that will be three losses on the year so their playoff qualifications would come into doubt or if they do qualify they probably qualify as one of the last seeds. Can’t  help tech on the schedule, that’s a team they play often so it is what it is. I don’t know why they would’ve played Berkeley. They would’ve been much better off playing another 4M team in their region as this gives a truer test and should help in determining the best teams in the respective class and region. 

Course all this nonsense is moot if we were just to have larger districts; seven teams? And the top two in district qualify and there are no questions. at least in the larger classifications and especially in metro. 

There were plenty of times with those 8 or 9 team Tampa districts that only 1 team in the entire district was a top 150 team 

Larger districts don't mean it's automatically better 

4 hours ago, PinellasFB said:

I dunno.  Over scheduling can be risky business because you still have to make the playoffs.  If you have one or two tough teams in your district, those non-district tough matchups get you ready for a playoff run but also hurt your ranking if you lose, risking qualifying for the playoffs.  That's why I beat the drum about scoring margin.  A one-score loss to a state power should not rate the same as a 50 point loss to that same team.  I see plenty of teams with even records or even losing records due to over scheduling who could be dangerous playoff teams but they will have a tough time getting in unless they win their district.

Some teams have to schedule over them because most teams won't play 

There are a lot of teams in North Florida who won't play Madison County, Columbia, TCA, Bolles, etc. 

Heck Columbia had mutual openings with Wakulla and Pine Forest week 11 and neither would play Columbia and those 2 are both playoff and state ranked teams on this very website but they were afraid to schedule Columbia

11 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Some teams have to schedule over them because most teams won't play 

There are a lot of teams in North Florida who won't play Madison County, Columbia, TCA, Bolles, etc. 

Heck Columbia had mutual openings with Wakulla and Pine Forest week 11 and neither would play Columbia and those 2 are both playoff and state ranked teams on this very website but they were afraid to schedule Columbia

Just out of curiosity, was Columbia willing to make the two-hour trip to Wakulla or the four-hour trip to Pine Forest to play either of those teams? 

10 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Whewww Lawd , you know me & you talk mad sh*+ to each other out of jokes & fun, but as one of the coaches why do you feel glades central has struggled so mightily?? 

glade central has the type of pedigree that fans feel that a regional final lost was a disappointing season. & it’s not like you’re guys have national powers left & right in your schedule. Every game in your schedule so far the raiders would have been runNing clock faves in the past. What’s going on over there ?

One thing I'm not a coach for GC never was lol I don't know what going on with GC everyone keep talking about the coaches can't coach but I think it both coaches and players to be honest. They suppose to fire this coach after Muck Bowl so go the rumors. 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

There were plenty of times with those 8 or 9 team Tampa districts that only 1 team in the entire district was a top 150 team 

Larger districts don't mean it's automatically better 

I’d like to know the last time they was an eight or nine team district in Tampa?  seems like you have a whimsical and uninformed opinion on this. And how would you know who was ranked and where the last time there was an 8 or 9 team district in Tampa, which was probably before you were born.

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Just out of curiosity, was Columbia willing to make the two-hour trip to Wakulla or the four-hour trip to Pine Forest to play either of those teams? 

We traveled to play Wakulla 2 years ago 

Why should we have to travel to them until they come to Lake City? And Pine Forest was advertising they were willing to travel to Mississippi, Alabama, north Florida or Georgia so why advertise that and turn down a team willing to host them?

38 minutes ago, 181pl said:

I’d like to know the last time they was an eight or nine team district in Tampa?  seems like you have a whimsical and uninformed opinion on this. And how would you know who was ranked and where the last time there was an 8 or 9 team district in Tampa, which was probably before you were born.

If you can tell me where to find records of old districts from 2014-2017 range I can find one because I remember an 8 team Tampa district that I believe was in 6a involving Leto and a few other teams during that time frame 

And you are the one who is uninformed as you constantly whine about private schools recruiting but you ignore any public school doing the same and then whine about privates not being separated and yet it's the people at the state government level including the governor who refuse to let it happen but you will blame the cows and seagulls for issues before the real people to blame because you think you are some expert on the issue and you judge everything based on how it works in Tampa 

Tampa may keep schools at capacity but that's not what's happening in Jacksonville or SFL but you think teams from counties of 50k should be in the same district with teams from a county of 1 million people and that's okay because you refuse to believe ANY PUBLIC SCHOOL IS RECRUITING

You don't hate the current system because it's not working, you just hate it because you are so anti progressive that you would rather see the status quo that had postseason blowouts getting worse by the year to stick around just because no change and failure is more appealing to you than new changes to succeed

21 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Why should we have to travel to them until they come to Lake City? And Pine Forest was advertising they were willing to travel to Mississippi, Alabama, north Florida or Georgia so why advertise that and turn down a team willing to host them?

I also know that Columbia called Wakulla as several of their coaches confirmed it yet Wakulla never even called them back 

58 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

So, I take it the answer to my question is "no . . . Columbia was not willing to travel to either place this year." 

I'm not an expert on panhandle geography, but if memory serves me correct, Alabama is about 15 minutes from Pensacola, and Mississippi is about an hour away.  Southwest Georgia is probably closer than Lake City is, but not by a whole lot.  In short, I can understand why a team from Pensacola would rather play a team an hour or two away than they would travel over 4 hours to play Columbia (and then travel 4 hours back home).  

Columbia traveled to Wakulla 2 years ago for what I assume was a regular season game.   I can understand why Columbia wouldn't want to travel there again until Wakulla reciprocated (was it not set up as a 'home and home' series?).  But, Wakulla may have needed a home game this year. 

Look, I understand Columbia's frustration.  If they're constantly beating the teams that come and play them, fewer and fewer teams will want to make the trip to Lake City . . . unless they have to (because they are in the same district) or there are incentives in place.  Perhaps this is a good argument for 7 or 8 team districts - then Columbia would only have to find 2 or 3 more games. 

My point is there are plenty of reasons, including several good ones, why a team wouldn't want to travel to Lake City for a game, especially if the travel is more than 2 hours.   That doesn't make them "afraid."  In fact, I would suggest that there is a fine line between being "afraid" and being "smart." 

43 minutes ago, Perspective said:

So, I take it the answer to my question is "no . . . Columbia was not willing to travel to either place this year." 

I'm not an expert on panhandle geography, but if memory serves me correct, Alabama is about 15 minutes from Pensacola, and Mississippi is about an hour away.  Southwest Georgia is probably closer than Lake City is, but not by a whole lot.  In short, I can understand why a team from Pensacola would rather play a team an hour or two away than they would travel over 4 hours to play Columbia (and then travel 4 hours back home).  

Columbia traveled to Wakulla 2 years ago for what I assume was a regular season game.   I can understand why Columbia wouldn't want to travel there again until Wakulla reciprocated (was it not set up as a 'home and home' series?).  But, Wakulla may have needed a home game this year. 

Look, I understand Columbia's frustration.  If they're constantly beating the teams that come and play them, fewer and fewer teams will want to make the trip to Lake City . . . unless they have to (because they are in the same district) or there are incentives in place.  Perhaps this is a good argument for 7 or 8 team districts - then Columbia would only have to find 2 or 3 more games. 

My point is there are plenty of reasons, including several good ones, why a team wouldn't want to travel to Lake City for a game, especially if the travel is more than 2 hours.   That doesn't make them "afraid."  In fact, I would suggest that there is a fine line between being "afraid" and being "smart." 

To get a large district for Columbia would mean sticking us either in Jacksonville where we have to play teams pulling from 1m people or some crazy spread out district where we had teams stretching from St Augustine all the way to Tallahassee so we could have a trip to Tallahassee and St Augustine in the same year and meaning Lincoln could have to drive to St Augustine and vice versa which happened in late 90s and would in their cases be 3 1/2 to 4 hours for a district game 

We don't have the geographic advantage of Tampa or Orlando or SFL where you have 20 teams of similar size within 10 miles so having 7 or 8 team districts wouldn't be as cut and dry which is one of reason districts started getting small as a lot of teams complained about having district games 3-4 hours away just for the sake of larger districts

As for Wakulla it was scheduled at the last second because it was the COVID year and I guess Wakulla never intended to return the trip which is fine but I don't feel we are at the stage of a program where we should have to travel to a team twice in a 3 year span and not get a home game out of it and they were fine playing us a year we started 0-4 but now Columbia is closer to normal form they can't bother to respect our program enough to actually call us back with a yes or no answer and they instead left us waiting for a month and never even bothered to call Columbia and tell them they won't have any interest in playing. That bothered me more than them not wanting to play is the fact they didn't even respect the program enough to call us and tell us no directly

If you combined the current Region 1 Districts 3 and 4 in class 3S, Columbia would be grouped with some combination of Middleburg, Orange Park, Ridgeview, Clay, Gainesville, Matanzas, Menendez, and St. Augustine.  Not exactly a list of powerhouse programs.  And yes, every other you would have to take 2 road trips of about 2 hours each.  But all your scheduling problems are solved.  Larger districts are not that hard, but I give up.  Let's put our faith in a computer algorithm which no one can explain.

34 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

If you combined the current Region 1 Districts 3 and 4 in class 3S, Columbia would be grouped with some combination of Middleburg, Orange Park, Ridgeview, Clay, Gainesville, Matanzas, Menendez, and St. Augustine.  Not exactly a list of powerhouse programs.  And yes, every other you would have to take 2 road trips of about 2 hours each.  But all your scheduling problems are solved.  Larger districts are not that hard, but I give up.  Let's put our faith in a computer algorithm which no one can explain.

The RPI was fine 

The issue is them changing something that didn't need to be changed, I don't care about long drives but I'm also not responsible for paying for the travel so schools may have a different view

It's funny how no one complains about travel when they go across the state for a "big-time" matchup or out-of-state to collect a paycheck.  I would bet that Gainesville is closer to Lake City than all of Columbia's current district opponents.  So, some teams might travel a little more with bigger districts, but some teams might travel a little less because they don't have to travel as far to fill out their schedule.  Perhaps the cost of travel would be prohibitive, but I'd hate for that to be the only reason not to at least consider the merits of larger districts.

1 hour ago, Dr. D said:

It's funny how no one complains about travel when they go across the state for a "big-time" matchup or out-of-state to collect a paycheck.  I would bet that Gainesville is closer to Lake City than all of Columbia's current district opponents.  So, some teams might travel a little more with bigger districts, but some teams might travel a little less because they don't have to travel as far to fill out their schedule.  Perhaps the cost of travel would be prohibitive, but I'd hate for that to be the only reason not to at least consider the merits of larger districts.

Columbia driving to Gainesville isn't an issue 

Lincoln having to drive to St Augustine for a district game potentially is a different story 

That was back when their was 6 classifications and ik a few on here suggested the FHSAA should go back to 5 or 6 classifications and if they did I guarantee that type of travel will be common and while a school like Columbia may not complain there will be schools who will complain because they complained when that was the districts in the late 90s

I have no problem with larger districts

But 181pl also is someone who wants to completely take the value out of non conference games by 1) making only district games count for playoff standings and 2) remove seeding entirely

If they ever move football back to only district games having importance than I will not even bother going to any non conference game ever again because it would be a waste of time and money to go watch a game that doesn't count for shit 

I would love to know that us beating Suwannee could eventually come back and cost Suwannee a playoff spot or beating Gainesville can cost them a playoff spot in a non conference game 

It adds value to those matchups when they impact the playoff field 

Again, using 2022 classifications, a 3S 8-team district in the Panhandle would consist of Lincoln, Rickards, Arnold, Fort Walton Beach, FWB Choctaw, Pine Forest, Escambia, and Pensacola BTW.  So yes, every other year Lincoln would have two away games in Pensacola.  But teams like Navarre, Crestview, and Niceville frequently travel to Tallahassee already.  So, some teams would be a little better/worse off from the travel perspective.  With 495 teams playing FHSAA football, there is bound to be a little inequity in any system.  I would argue that it is worth it to have things settled on the field, not in a computer closet.  As for every single game carrying the same significance for playoff purpose, there will always be contrasting views, as have been voiced on this forum before.

Not meaning to pile on one of our local schools, Toho Tigers but I must say this has turned into a very disappointing year for them.  They entered with a lot of hype securing the Freshman QB with alot of promise to attend there, new coach from Lk. Nona and all the other chatter. After a 5-0 start and lots of chest thumping regarding passing records being set by this "Phenom" they got beat by an 0-7 Celebration team in their last outing.  The HC with all his varsity experience should have known better as the combined record of their first 5 opponents to date is 7-35.  Toho has lost their last three games in a row and will undoubtedly lose the last 2.  That school has lots of potential with where they are located and I hope they do step it up in every way next year.  

37 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Not meaning to pile on one of our local schools, Toho Tigers but I must say this has turned into a very disappointing year for them.  They entered with a lot of hype securing the Freshman QB with alot of promise to attend there, new coach from Lk. Nona and all the other chatter. After a 5-0 start and lots of chest thumping regarding passing records being set by this "Phenom" they got beat by an 0-7 Celebration team in their last outing.  The HC with all his varsity experience should have known better as the combined record of their first 5 opponents to date is 7-35.  Toho has lost their last three games in a row and will undoubtedly lose the last 2.  That school has lots of potential with where they are located and I hope they do step it up in every way next year.  

Please talk to the coach at Osceola and tell him to beat Toho like a rented mule 

13 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

i thought you was joking and had to go hate hard on the schedule and call you out for wrong.

holy spaceballs.....0-8, 1-8(ambassador chrstian?), 0-8, 5-3(st cloud?  they beat st cloud?  shocking), 1-8,

you wasnt kidding.  the phenom has 2500 yds passing vs 7 and 35.  lol, awesome.  

im with nole, tell yall coach to hang a hunnit on em

h8r

12 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Toho HS is only about 5 years old and up until this season, their football team has not been competitive against established teams. They hired a new coach and found a freshman QB that has potential. The early half of their schedule was against extremely weak teams and they ran up the scores, while bragging that their QB was the "next coming". They finally started playing teams that were capable of winning at the varsity level and Toho and their QB are failing miserably. One can only imagine what Osceola will put up on the scoreboard against Toho in their next game. Hard to feel sorry for Toho after they ran up scores in their first five games.

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

Toho HS is only about 5 years old and up until this season, their football team has not been competitive against established teams. They hired a new coach and found a freshman QB that has potential. The early half of their schedule was against extremely weak teams and they ran up the scores, while bragging that their QB was the "next coming". They finally started playing teams that were capable of winning at the varsity level and Toho and their QB are failing miserably. One can only imagine what Osceola will put up on the scoreboard against Toho in their next game. Hard to feel sorry for Toho after they ran up scores in their first five games.

I didn’t see any scores that were ran up