FL 2nd Round

181pl

Put this on the nat board.

Some of the more interesting games below. Many rematches from previous meetings in the season. I think the playoffs have shown that the rematches are generally much closer or have completely different result.

4M

Mandarin @ Lake Mary. Rematch. 

Apopka @ Seminole. Should be a close game either way.

Dr. Phillips @ Plant. Good test to see how far Plant has come back. Could be close or Plant may simply get out physicaled. 

Western @ Palmetto. Broward v Dade publics.

4S

Vero Beach @ Treasure Coast. Rematch. Both teams have had tough schedules (TC more so but VB had a respectable slate) and good years. 

Bartam Trail @ Niceville. Quite a trek over I-10 for BT. 

3M

Jones @ Edgewater. Rematch. Excellent teams. Probably don’t like each other that much.

Tech @ Armwood. See above. Rematch. Hate each other.

3S

Escambia @ St. Augustine. Another I-10 trek. Just the other way. 

2M

BTW at Central. Rematch. Needs no further explanation.

1R

Pahokee @ Williston. Williston very highly ranked in some FL polls.. Pahokee seems to be getting back to its old self. 

Think about this. Either Plant, Dr Phillips, Sumner or Durant will be in the STATE SEMI FINALS!!!!!!

we have sunk to an all time low. Not knocking the teams because it’s not their fault, but these are not the type of teams indicative of the true strength of the state. Their are so many classes that all the good teams are too spread out 

38 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Think about this. Either Plant, Dr Phillips, Sumner or Durant will be in the STATE SEMI FINALS!!!!!!

we have sunk to an all time low. Not knocking the teams because it’s not their fault, but these are not the type of teams indicative of the true strength of the state. Their are so many classes that all the good teams are too spread out 

I don’t agree with that. Any of those teams could win in the next round. And who is the ultimate endgame? Miami Columbus? Big deal. They have a checkered history at best. Any of those teams you mentioned would have a punchers chance against the rest of the state. Is it likely that they’ll win? Probably not, but they’re not bad teams.

22 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Disagree here with you NoleBull. It is good to see Plant and Dr. Phillips back to making a run of sorts. Sumner has been building up and Durant... come on now give them some credit.

Just because a couple of names aren't traditionally the names we usually hear does not mean some of these can't be starting a path of their own, which they should be.

Things cycle. That is a part of life... and football.

32 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Disagree here with you NoleBull. It is good to see Plant and Dr. Phillips back to making a run of sorts. Sumner has been building up and Durant... come on now give them some credit.

Just because a couple of names aren't traditionally the names we usually hear does not mean some of these can't be starting a path of their own, which they should be.

Things cycle. That is a part of life... and football.

Plant lost 2 games to the best teams on their schedule and beat the rest of the teams who are not very good at all. Records don’t necessarily tell you how good a team is. 

Same with Dr Phillips. Lost 4 games to the only 4 teams with a pulse. The teams they beat would get beat by some elite teams JV squads. 

Sumner’s best win was against a 7 win team who played nobody and they lost to Durant who played nobody!!! 

These teams are not good on a state level. That’s being delusional. Following local teams and them winning against a bunch of local teams who aren’t very good doesn’t make it better. Liking a team doesn’t make it better. 

i seen a ranking for Hillsborough County that had CDS, Armwood, Jesuit, Tampa Bay Tech and Berkeley as the top 5 teams in the county. 

Plant went 0-2 against them and Sumner and Durant didn’t even play any of them. So you can’t sit here and say these teams have even proved anything. 

Bottom line is there will be a team that is unproven and nowhere near the quality of a state ranked team you would expect in a large class metro state semi final 

Listen. I live in Pasco County. So sometimes I go watch a game in Pasco when I don’t feel like driving back into Hillsborough. Now there is not one team in Pasco that is good on a state level and it’s not even close. State level meaning top 25 or near it. 

But I’ll go anyways. And the crowd is in it. Cheering their teams on. Players running through the smoke.  Cheerleaders hyping everyone up. Big plays happening. A lot of passion and fanfare. Just a typical Friday night under the lights. 

But here’s the important part I need you to let marinade in your brain……..

NONE OF THIS MAKES THE FOOTBALL GOOD!!!!! 

I’m not trying to crap on anyone either. If we are having a conversation about having a good time at a HSFB game, then I can tell you countless times where I had a good time and caught a great game even though the teams were not state powers. But if we are talking about how good a team really is at the state and/or national level, then that’s a whole different conversation and you have to be able to separate the two 

12 hours ago, Rattlin Steele said:

2 weeks in row BT making that trip

No joke...

That trip to Navarre was 369 miles one-way or 738 miles round trip.

To Niceville is 331 miles one-way or 662 miles round trip.

When its all said and done, Bartram Trail will have traveled 1,400 miles in two weeks. Most playoff teams will not even come close to touching that mileage number.

14 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

No joke...

When its all said and done, Bartram Trail will have traveled 1,400 miles in two weeks. Most playoff teams will not even come close to touching that mileage number.

Road Warriors!!!   (screams every team that has to travel more than 100 miles to play a post-season game . . . but in this case, if BT can pull off the road win twice in two weeks, the phrase may have some legitimacy). 

2 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

No joke...

That’s criminal. Maybe put BT in a different region?

3 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

If they won the division then they don’t travel. This is on them. But the Fhsaa should combine classes to shorten the distance of travel in the early rounds 

Not an apologist for Bartram Trail, but they finished second in their district with one district loss, behind the district winner and top seed in the region, Buchholz.  If BT had beaten Buchholz, there's a very good chance that Buchholz would have been in the same position that BT is in now:  3rd seed in the Region, having to travel from Gainesville to 6th-seeded, but district champ, Navarre, for the first round game and then traveling the following week to #2 seed Niceville for the second round game.   Bottom line:  it's just a really, really big region, so travel is inevitable. 

10 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Plant lost 2 games to the best teams on their schedule and beat the rest of the teams who are not very good at all. Records don’t necessarily tell you how good a team is. 

Same with Dr Phillips. Lost 4 games to the only 4 teams with a pulse. The teams they beat would get beat by some elite teams JV squads. 

Sumner’s best win was against a 7 win team who played nobody and they lost to Durant who played nobody!!! 

These teams are not good on a state level. That’s being delusional. Following local teams and them winning against a bunch of local teams who aren’t very good doesn’t make it better. Liking a team doesn’t make it better. 

i seen a ranking for Hillsborough County that had CDS, Armwood, Jesuit, Tampa Bay Tech and Berkeley as the top 5 teams in the county. 

Plant went 0-2 against them and Sumner and Durant didn’t even play any of them. So you can’t sit here and say these teams have even proved anything. 

Bottom line is there will be a team that is unproven and nowhere near the quality of a state ranked team you would expect in a large class metro state semi final 

Yeah this for sure aint your daddys DP or Plant. Recognizable from past success but it ends there.

11 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

new year. teams get better and gel. only time will tell.

On 11/15/2023 at 11:20 AM, Joshua Wilson said:

No joke...

That's crazy - for playoffs in particular. Two years ago Columbus drove up to Savannah to play Benedictine and then the next week up to Jacksonville to face Bartram Trail - 1,400 miles total over two consecutive weekends, It was brutal. Coach Dunn said he is never doing that again. But at least these weren't even district games much less playoffs.  Seems like they should set up a neutral site roughly half way for playoffs. To much on the kids.

Niceville had to travel 670 miles round-trip to play Nease in round one.  IF they beat Bartram Trail, they will (most likely) have a 600-mile round-trip to play Buchholz.  The problem is there just aren`t a lot of large enrollment schools west of Lake City, so larger classes would not necessarily solve this problem.  These panhandle schools just about have to be drawn into a Region with Jacksonville-area schools.  Significant travel is just a fact of life in Region 1, and holds true for other sports as well.    

1 hour ago, Dr. D said:

Niceville had to travel 670 miles round-trip to play Nease in round one.  IF they beat Bartram Trail, they will (most likely) have a 600-mile round-trip to play Buchholz.  The problem is there just aren`t a lot of large enrollment schools west of Lake City, so larger classes would not necessarily solve this problem.  These panhandle schools just about have to be drawn into a Region with Jacksonville-area schools.  Significant travel is just a fact of life in Region 1, and holds true for other sports as well.    

Perhaps the schools in the panhandle should be allowed to play in the Alabama or Georgia playoffs instead if they wanted to . . . it could be called "State Choice."   B)

Nolebull really likes to put down high school teams. He's done it for years... calling them garbage, etc... His lack of respect and sportsmanship is a given. I really hope he's in his 20's.

I do agree that the classifications have been watered down and think the Metro/Suburban decision was a bad one.

This is not the best DP team, but they played both Apopka (16-14) and Lake Mary (76-60) close, and avenged their earlier loss to Olympia in round 1. The Jones game got out of hand, as it was 14-10 at the half. 

Region 2 will probably be a 10-14 point underdog to whatever region 1 team they play.

3 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Nolebull really likes to put down high school teams. He's done it for years... calling them garbage, etc... His lack of respect and sportsmanship is a given. I really hope he's in his 20's.

I do agree that the classifications have been watered down and think the Metro/Suburban decision was a bad one.

This is not the best DP team, but they played both Apopka (16-14) and Lake Mary (76-60) close, and avenged their earlier loss to Olympia in round 1. The Jones game got out of hand, as it was 14-10 at the half. 

Region 2 will probably be a 10-14 point underdog to whatever region 1 team they play.

Who did I put down? Not every team can be good. This isn’t some fantasy where everyone is a winner. There are going to be elite teams, great teams, good teams, average teams, bad teams, and garbage ones. That’s just the way it is. This isn’t some radio station where we are forced to like everyone and everything. There is a hierarchy and no delusion can take that away