8A Final Four

Pipe Dreams

Orlando Dr. Phillips @ Sanford Seminole

Miami Southridge @Vero Beach

DP's defense faced what could have been their achilles heel against Vero Beach. Seminole has not seen a defense this fast all season and will need to air it out or else they will be eaten alive. I thought Vero had a shot last night but in this one I'm going with DP. The defense is very good and Marvin Washington has been great running and throwing the ball. Seminole has given up A LOT of points against good running teams. That being said Seminole's two offensive studs can break any play open. I think they'll score 1-2 long TDs but struggle driving the ball.

In the other game I like Southridge because of their defense. Their QB flings it and they have a ton of athletes in the backfield.

DP 28-21

Southridge 16-7

Orlando Dr. Phillips @ Sanford Seminole

Miami Southridge @Vero Beach

DP's defense faced what could have been their achilles heel against Vero Beach. Seminole has not seen a defense this fast all season and will need to air it out or else they will be eaten alive. I thought Vero had a shot last night but in this one I'm going with DP. The defense is very good and Marvin Washington has been great running and throwing the ball. Seminole has given up A LOT of points against good running teams. That being said Seminole's two offensive studs can break any play open. I think they'll score 1-2 long TDs but struggle driving the ball.

In the other game I like Southridge because of their defense. Their QB flings it and they have a ton of athletes in the backfield.

DP 28-21

Southridge 16-7

That sounds about right Pipe Dreams  Deerfield might put up more than 7 on Southridge though.  

If it ends up Dr. Phillips versus Southridge are we looking at an Over/Under Total of about 30 combined pts?

Dr. Phillips versus Southridge.

Unfortunately, we will probably get Dp. vs Southridge. This is not to hate on either team. But if this is the final, then it will be mostly a defensive struggle. Having seen all four teams in one way or another this year, I can say there are many similarities between Phillips and Southridge. Both have very solid defenses; both have good but not quick score offenses. Dp. has a better QB and kicking game; Southridge probably has, overall, the better defense. Against Coral Gables, aside from a pick 6 that was taken 70+ yards for the score, all of Southridge's points came from slow, deliberate, un-creative drives. Southridge has good receivers. However, the QB is not a true QB, but rather a decent athlete charged with being the QB. So, they (receivers) are underutilized. Dp. does have a true QB, though sometimes, I feel he has yet to fulfill his huge upside potential. Penetrating Southridge's defense is going to be difficult for any team. For that reason, I favor them over Deerfield Beach, which is a far more entertaining team to watch; and which is the more complete team (of the two). Sadly DB got banged up pretty badly in the Atlantic game, and also showed some exploitable weaknesses on defenses. So I am going to go with Southridge by 6-10 points over Deerfield. Against Seminole, I am going to pick Phillips 28-24 as their defense also gets it done. 

I think the title game will be competitive but will be liked only by those that like to see games dominated by defense. I am going to hold off on picking the winner till I see how the semis play out. However, if it's Dp. vs the Ridge, I don't expect more than 35 points combined and would not be surprised to see less than 20 combined. 

Unfortunately, we will probably get Dp. vs Southridge. This is not to hate on either team. But if this is the final, then it will be mostly a defensive struggle. Having seen all four teams in one way or another this year, I can say there are many similarities between Phillips and Southridge. Both have very solid defenses; both have good but not quick score offenses. Dp. has a better QB and kicking game; Southridge probably has, overall, the better defense. Against Coral Gables, aside from a pick 6 that was taken 70+ yards for the score, all of Southridge's points came from slow, deliberate, un-creative drives. Southridge has good receivers. However, the QB is not a true QB, but rather a decent athlete charged with being the QB. So, they (receivers) are underutilized. Dp. does have a true QB, though sometimes, I feel he has yet to fulfill his huge upside potential. Penetrating Southridge's defense is going to be difficult for any team. For that reason, I favor them over Deerfield Beach, which is a far more entertaining team to watch; and which is the more complete team (of the two). Sadly DB got banged up pretty badly in the Atlantic game, and also showed some exploitable weaknesses on defenses. So I am going to go with Southridge by 6-10 points over Deerfield. Against Seminole, I am going to pick Phillips 28-24 as their defense also gets it done.

I think the title game will be competitive but will be liked only by those that like to see games dominated by defense. I am going to hold off on picking the winner till I see how the semis play out. However, if it's Dp. vs the Ridge, I don't expect more than 35 points combined and would not be surprised to see less than 20 combined.

Could be similar if it comes down to deerfield and Dr Phillips

Could be similar if it comes down to deerfield and Dr Phillips

If we get Dp. vs Deerfield, I expect a lot more points. Why? DB has a creative offense which is capable of scoring on any play. Unfortunately for them, they also have defensive lapses which Dp. will probably exploit more easily than they could against a team like Southridge. Also, DB's more up-tempo offense means Dp. gets the ball more often and therefore has more scoring opportunities. I could easily see 70 or 80+ points combined in a DB vs Dp. game. I honestly can't say the same in a Dp. vs Southridge game.

If Dp. faced DB, I would very tentatively pick Dp. by 7 or less. At this stage I can't say who would win Dp. vs Southridge. 

How is Seminole's o-line?

I know the run defense can be exploited which works in DPs favor. Marvin has been good at checking down to the flats on called runs this year

Seminole's Oline is good, but not outstanding. It has provided decent pass protection for the quarterback who has also aided himself by being very mobile. Seminole will score against Dp. But I don't think its defense can keep Dp. from scoring enough to win. On the other hand, Dp's defense should be good enough to get critical stops when needed most. Seminole's last two games have been extremely close and they have been fully extended (I know the final score against WP does not look that close, but the game was tied inside the 4th quarter at 31 apiece till Seminole pulled away). Dp. has only been extended by Vero, if you want to call it that, in the playoffs so far. 

I think Dp. wins the North semi by about 10 to 14 points and it possibly won't be that close. 

Seminole's Oline is good, but not outstanding. It has provided decent pass protection for the quarterback who has also aided himself by being very mobile. Seminole will score against Dp. But I don't think its defense can keep Dp. from scoring enough to win. On the other hand, Dp's defense should be good enough to get critical stops when needed most. Seminole's last two games have been extremely close and they have been fully extended (I know the final score against WP does not look that close, but the game was tied inside the 4th quarter at 31 apiece till Seminole pulled away). Dp. has only been extended by Vero, if you want to call it that, in the playoffs so far.

I think Dp. wins the North semi by about 10 to 14 points and it possibly won't be that close.

I give DP alot credit against Vero, they did everything i expected them to do to Vero, they forced two fumbles and scored with those and they made Vero score the lowest they put on the board all season long

Dan DP beat that Seminole state title team 34-22 when they played. It was 34-7 in the 4th.

another year that DP could have won state.  Beat Boone by three scores in the regular season then choked in the playoffs.  Good news Pipe Dreams.  They won't choke this year because they are way better than anyone left.  

another year that DP could have won state.  Beat Boone by three scores in the regular season then choked in the playoffs.  Good news Pipe Dreams.  They won't choke this year because they are way better than anyone left.  

Saw both Boone games. Dp. outclassed Boone in the first and won easily. In the second game, Boone made some adjustments to its secondary (inserted a nickle back) and to its offense, and won a close game. Boone went on to lose to Seminole in a very hard fought game at Seminole in the semifinals. If I remember correctly Seminole came from behind to win that one as Armstrong was unstoppable in their final offensive drive. EP Fireman's son (Pruitt) kicked for Boone back in those days. 

Probably a good thing Seminole won. While Boone was probably a bit better than the prior year, and MNW was way down, I think Seminole matched up better against them than Boone would have. But we will never know. 

DP has been good enough to win state in 08, 09, 10 (lost to MC), 12, 13!, 14, 15, 16. The law of large numbers says things even out over time so we've got that going for us.

Personally I think the 2009 and 2013 DP teams that lost in the second round (in overtime to Apk 58-52 and in OT to Plant 24-23) are the 3rd and 4th best DP teams ever behind 2010 and 2016... hypothetical DP 09 and 13 would've beaten the 2012 team that went 13-1.

I've been saying it for a while and Darter you have to agree... DP fans have had it rough with very good teams. The best program without a title (100-15 since 2008). Most losses were by 7 or less since 2008.

DP has been good enough to win state in 08, 09, 10 (lost to MC), 12, 13!, 14, 15, 16. The law of large numbers says things even out over time so we've got that going for us.

Personally I think the 2009 and 2013 DP teams that lost in the second round (in overtime to Apk 58-52 and in OT to Plant 24-23) are the 3rd and 4th best DP teams ever behind 2010 and 2016... hypothetical DP 09 and 13 would've beaten the 2012 team that went 13-1.

I've been saying it for a while and Darter you have to agree... DP fans have had it rough with very good teams. The best program without a title (100-15 since 2008). Most losses were by 7 or less since 2008.

I see Dp. as the second best program without a title (best in 8a) over that time span. The best would be Mainland. Were it not for Central, Mainland would certainly have won a title in recent times. But, yes, Dp. has been unlucky, and if they stay good over the next five years should have a title to show for it, especially since 8a no longer has the teams from North Dade for the next four years.