*Plant's Weiner is 4-2 vs. Lakeland's Castle

skyway

In each of the five games, Plant held Lakeland's offense mostly in check. Last season was the only time Lakeland had any sort of sustained success running the ball, with Demarkcus Bowman going over 180 yards on 18 carries. But, Plant still managed to pull out a 13-10 victory.  My best guess as to why this is the case is Weiner cooks up some great game plans, either through complexity or deception, and Castle manages his QBs too tightly, usually not letting them check out of bad plays. Below is a really interesting interview with Weiner.

The '15 and '16 games, Lakeland had no offensive line. With that, they won the game in '15 and essentially lost the '16 game with no blocking on a punt. Last year's O-Line was pieced together and still came within about a minute of winning that game.

IMO, Weiner got out-coached in the '15 game. He played very conservative until the end of the game. He finally let Frantzen throw down the field in the 4th quarter and he threw a long TD pass. If he let him go a little earlier, that may have been a different game.

The '09 & '10 games were over-achieving Lakeland teams going up against James Wilder. They had no answer for him. Plant would re-win those games 10 out of 10 times.

As far as the QB situation, Lakeland got away from their core offense the last three years with non-mobile QB's. I really think that limited what this team could do. There was no threat of the QB running. Both QB's during that time seemed to regress toward the end of the season. McWilliams was injured the first half of this season, but has really come on since about game 7.

This year's offense is a much more traditional Lakeland offense. Alot of option and the sporadic pass thrown in here and there.......and a MUCH better O-Line. And, while they haven't been tested much, this years front 7 on Defense is lights out better than the last few years.

Having said that, you are correct that Weiner, like Castle, is one of the top coaches when it comes to game planning. I expect this game to be no different. If either team gets up more that 10 points, I'd be surprised. 

Coach of the century.......I think Castle had 6 State Championships, 2 National Championships and 300+ wins at the time they gave that to him, so..........;)

5 hours ago, skyway said:

In each of the five games, Plant held Lakeland's offense mostly in check. Last season was the only time Lakeland had any sort of sustained success running the ball, with Demarkcus Bowman going over 180 yards on 18 carries. But, Plant still managed to pull out a 13-10 victory.  My best guess as to why this is the case is Weiner cooks up some great game plans, either through complexity or deception, and Castle manages his QBs too tightly, usually not letting them check out of bad plays. Below is a really interesting interview with Weiner.

But Lakeland did win in 79 and 84. So plants lead is only one game.

7 hours ago, skyway said:

Thanks "skyway" for the video on Weiner. Great insight from a very successful and logical thinking head coach.  

Very impressed by the offense! Very concerned about the secondary! They had better learn a lot and make some adjustments, otherwise a team I thought needed to win defensive struggles in the late rounds will be stuck having to win shootouts. They appear to be more capable there than I feared, but, we can only hope there are some rare circumstances that led to three embarrassing blown coverages on deep balls. On an otherwise awesome night, those plays stand out as unacceptable embarrassments. 

4 hours ago, Legion37 said:

My biggest issue with him was they go for an onside kick with 2:59 on the clock down by 19. Recovers it! Ends up with a 4th and 15 from their 45 and he punts? LHS ran out the clock. If you are bold enough to get an onside kick, WHY punt? GO FOR IT! Was glad he did so we could leave a bit early. 

Plant will never quit in a game. A few bounces go your way and you can sneak back in. I've watched it with my own eyes on several occasions when it looked they were toast and they pull off an improbable comeback.

You think STA or Venice is going to quit because there down 2 or 3 scores? Never. Castle recognizes this and that's why he kept his foot on the pedal. If you don't, you may end up losing.

17 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Plant will never quit in a game. A few bounces go your way and you can sneak back in. I've watched it with my own eyes on several occasions when it looked they were toast and they pull off an improbable comeback.

You think STA or Venice is going to quit because there down 2 or 3 scores? Never. Castle recognizes this and that's why he kept his foot on the pedal. If you don't, you may end up losing.

Agreed but by punting Plant did basically quit. They hadn't stopped Lakeland all game, and by punting they basically admitted defeat. Go for an onside kick and then punt it away? Pointless

Nobody scored after the onside kick, Plant punted and Lakeland simply ran out the clock. The score was Lakeland 49-23 when Plant scored to make it 49-30. They then kicked an onside kick and recovered it. After a few plays and a penalty, Plant was 4th and 15 and instead of going for it, they punted. Lakeland killed the rest of the clock. 

Again. Never quit.

If you practice quitting, then it has a negative affect on the program.

Lakeland was the better team, clearly, but I think Weiner and gang were using this a lesson to the kids coming back that you have to fight to the very end of every game.

Beat Edgewater! Beat Aquinas!

Pulling for the Naughts.

1 hour ago, Legion37 said:

Wonderful sentiment and I agree but Weiner Punted with over two minutes left in the game. I can't understand that at all. Sorry but that was a poor choice. On to Edgewater!

At that point, with his QB hurting, I think Weiner wanted to avoid giving Lakeland an easier chance to break the 50 point mark. Yes, they badly gashed Lakeland deep those three times, but those were early enough to where Play-action was still being honored by the safeties. On 4th and long down big with a couple minutes left, PA wasn't going to be there and so a conversion on 4th and long was unlikely.