Lakeland Transfers - The Real Numbers

OldSchoolLion

This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list.  There could be more.  Interestingly, there are 7 kids from Kathleen and 5 from Lake Gibson.  If any of this is incorrect, please let me know.

Comments anyone?

2019 transfers

Chayil Garnett/QB - Lake Wales (Sr)

Jhakari Martin/RB & LB - Kathleen (Sr)

Anthony Smith/OL - Winter Haven (Sr)

Denard Smith/OL - Jordan Christian (Jr)

Dallarion Foster/OL - Kathleen (Jr)

Arian Smith/WR - Mulberry (Sr)

Gavin Carter/WR - Lake Gibson (Sr)

Michael Worlds/WR - Tenoroc (Sr)

Keahnist Thompson/TE - Utah (So)

Tyler Skillern/DL - Santa Fe Catholic (Sr)

Dadrion James/DL - Kathleen (Sr)

Ryshawn Glinton/DL - Kathleen (Sr)

Daniel Curry/DL - Virginia

Cleotis Anglin/LB - Lake Region (Sr)

Dontevion Smith/LB - Kathleen (Sr)

Jamel Best/LB - Lake Gibson (Sr)

Frantz Jean Charles/LB - Lake Gibson (Sr)

Kendall Dennis/DB - Kathleen (Sr)

Jalen Christian/DB - Lake Gibson (Sr)

Emari Carter/DB - Lake Gibson (So)

Carlisle Johnson/DB - Spoto (Jr)

2018 transfers

Zay Roberson/DB - Kathleen (Sr)

Andrew Procter/TE - Manatee (Sr)

36 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list.  There could be more.  Interestingly, there are 8 kids from Kathleen and 5 from Lake Gibson.  If any of this is incorrect, please let me know.

Comments anyone?

2019 transfers

Chayil Garnett/QB - Lake Wales (Sr)

Jhakari Martin/RB & LB - Kathleen (Sr)

Anthony Smith/OL - Winter Haven (Sr)

Denard Smith/OL - Jordan Christian (Jr)

Ralph Blanford/OL - Victory Christian (Sr)

Dallarion Foster/OL - Kathleen (Jr)

Arian Smith/WR - Mulberry (Sr)

Gavin Carter/WR - Lake Gibson (Sr)

Michael Worlds/WR - Tenoroc (Sr)

Keahnist Thompson/TE - Utah (So)

Tyler Skillern/DL - Santa Fe Catholic (Sr)

Dadrion James/DL - Kathleen (Sr)

Ryshawn Glinton/DL - Kathleen (Sr)

Cleotis Anglin/LB - Lake Region (Sr)

Dontevion Smith/LB - Kathleen (Sr)

Jamel Best/LB - Lake Gibson (Sr)

Frantz Jean Charles/LB - Lake Gibson (Sr)

Kendall Dennis/DB - Kathleen (Sr)

Jalen Christian/DB - Lake Gibson (Sr)

Emari Carter/DB - Lake Gibson (So)

2018 transfers

Exzavieus Roberson/DB - Kathleen (Sr)

Zay Roberson/DB - Kathleen (Sr)

Andrew Procter/TE - Manatee (Sr)

All look accurate. Though in the 2018 transfer list you listed the same guy twice (Roberson).

Lakeland graduated 33 seniors last year and will graduate about the same number off this year's team.   23 kids listed below from last year's roster returned this year.  As you'll see below, the Naughts could certainly field a competitive team this year without transfers, but would have to move kids up from the JV team and/or play kids on both sides of the ball.  Interestingly, the 4 offensive line transfers they got this year could end up being the most impactful transfers of all.  The Naughts only returned 2 starting linemen (OL and DL) from last year's team.

This scenario reminds me much of Chaminade-Madonna's current situation, where they have worked themselves into a cycle of reliance upon transfers(especially on the lines) because of a lack of underclassmen on the roster seeing substantial playing time.  As I see it, unless a coach makes some sacrifices to allow for building within and is willing to take a hit some seasons to do so, it's likely rare that a team can be a legitimate contender for a state title every year without a reliance upon transfers. 

Offense
Mason Martin/QB
Markcus Bowman/RB
Deadrian Ellefson/RB
Reggie Kellum/RB
Rudolph Destin/FB
Jay Rolle/WR
Deandre Keys/WR
Sam Sloan/WR
Tayler Gant/WR
Andrew Procter/TE & WR
Willie Lampkin/OL
Naveli Dixson/OL
Rickey McKenzie/OL & DL

Defense
Tkouri Smart/DL
Diamante Baldwin/DL
Dalton Schellhammer/DL
Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy/DL
Shawn Smith/LB
Azadrean Yarde/LB & DT
Quadir Hall/DB
Valik Whittaker/DB
Fenley Graham/DB
Tyrell Jones/DB

5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Lakeland graduated 33 seniors last year and will graduate about the same number off this year's team.   23 kids listed below from last year's roster returned this year.  As you'll see below, the Naughts could certainly field a competitive team this year without transfers, but would have to move kids up from the JV team and/or play kids on both sides of the ball.  Interestingly, the 4 offensive line transfers they got this year could end up being the most impactful transfers of all.  The Naughts only returned 2 starting linemen (OL and DL) from last year's team.

This scenario reminds me much of Chaminade-Madonna's current situation, where they have worked themselves into a cycle of reliance upon transfers(especially on the lines) because of a lack of underclassmen on the roster seeing substantial playing time.  As I see it, unless a coach makes some sacrifices to allow for building within and is willing to take a hit some seasons to do so, it's likely rare that a team can be a legitimate contender for a state title every year without a reliance upon transfers. 

Offense
Mason Martin/QB
Markcus Bowman/RB
Deadrian Ellefson/RB
Reggie Kellum/RB
Rudolph Destin/FB
Jay Rolle/WR
Deandre Keys/WR
Sam Sloan/WR
Tayler Gant/WR
Andrew Procter/TE & WR
Willie Lampkin/OL
Naveli Dixson/OL
Rickey McKenzie/OL & DL

Defense
Tkouri Smart/DL
Diamante Baldwin/DL
Dalton Schellhammer/DL
Shawn Smith/LB
Azadrean Yarde/LB & DT
Quadir Hall/DB
Valik Whittaker/DB
Fenley Graham/DB
Tyrell Jones/DB

Good thing you can just rely on transfers in today’s age. I don’t think Castle is going out and recruiting, I just think he’s run such a great program that guys are transferring in. That’s Florida football.

I had heard the number of incoming transfers was pretty high, but I had no idea the number was that high.  By my count, 20 new players, most from other Polk County schools, transferred in.  Wow!  The state Senator and state rep from that area must be very happy with what they accomplished a few years back. 

And I agree that Castle is not out there actively recruiting players . . . he's smarter than that.   That's what assistant coaches are for.  Just ask STA.  

39 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I had heard the number of incoming transfers was pretty high, but I had no idea the number was that high.  By my count, 20 new players, most from other Polk County schools, transferred in.  Wow!  The state Senator and state rep from that area must be very happy with what they accomplished a few years back. 

And I agree that Castle is not out there actively recruiting players . . . he's smarter than that.   That's what assistant coaches are for.  Just ask STA.  

Paul Quinn taught Castle well

13 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Offense
Mason Martin/QB
Markcus Bowman/RB
Deadrian Ellefson/RB
Reggie Kellum/RB
Rudolph Destin/FB
Jay Rolle/WR
Deandre Keys/WR
Sam Sloan/WR
Tayler Gant/WR
Andrew Procter/TE & WR
Willie Lampkin/OL
Naveli Dixson/OL
Rickey McKenzie/OL & DL

Defense
Tkouri Smart/DL
Diamante Baldwin/DL
Dalton Schellhammer/DL
Shawn Smith/LB
Azadrean Yarde/LB & DT
Quadir Hall/DB
Valik Whittaker/DB
Fenley Graham/DB
Tyrell Jones/DB

This kid will be VERY good IMO.  

For some perspective, here's some information related to Lakeland's 2006 state championship team.  There were a couple of kids who saw regular playing time during the 06 season who were not on the roster in 05.  One appears to have been at Lakeland his whole career.  Am not sure about the other.  As best I can tell, all of the remaining, regular starters on that 06 team were at Lakeland in 05 and did not transfer in for the 06 season.  

Michael Pouncey, Maurkice Pouncey, Paul Wilson, Ahmad Black, Jamar Taylor, Chris Rainey, Steve Wilks, Jordan Hammond, and John Brown were the big name seniors on that Lakeland team.  All of them got D-1 scholarships, and none of them transferred into Lakeland for the 06 season.  They were there in 05, if not before.

40 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

For some perspective, here's some information related to Lakeland's 2006 state championship team.  There were a couple of kids who saw regular playing time during the 06 season who were not on the roster in 05.  One appears to have been at Lakeland his whole career.  Am not sure about the other.  As best I can tell, all of the remaining, regular starters on that 06 team were at Lakeland in 05 and did not transfer in for the 06 season.  

Michael Pouncey, Maurkice Pouncey, Paul Wilson, Ahmad Black, Jamar Taylor, Chris Rainey, Steve Wilks, Jordan Hammond, and John Brown were the big name seniors on that Lakeland team.  All of them got D-1 scholarships, and none of them transferred into Lakeland for the 06 season.  They were there in 05, if not before.

His name was Chris Rich and he played at Hardee the prior 2 years. 

Now, to be fair, I think similar lists need to be compiled for several other schools as well. Armwood, Edgewater, the Dade county powers etc. The acquisition of a lot of transfers is not unique to Lakeland. It is part of a trend (not a good one, IMO) that is pervasive across the country. The trend, most everywhere it seems, is for star players to merge and super teams to be built. Lakeland appears to have done arguably the "best" job of it this year. But, this kind of thing has been happening, in Dade especially, for several years.  It's a bit easier to track now with hudl and twitter accounts that update on such matters. 

3 hours ago, skyway said:

Now, to be fair, I think similar lists need to be compiled for several other schools as well. Armwood, Edgewater, the Dade county powers etc. The acquisition of a lot of transfers is not unique to Lakeland. It is part of a trend (not a good one, IMO) that is pervasive across the country. The trend, most everywhere it seems, is for star players to merge and super teams to be built. Lakeland appears to have done arguably the "best" job of it this year. But, this kind of thing has been happening, in Dade especially, for several years.  It's a bit easier to track now with hudl and twitter accounts that update on such matters. 

Last season, I did this exercise for a number of schools.  Lakeland, Armwood, and Chaminade-Madonna had quite a few transfers(though nothing quite like what happened at Lakeland this year).  St Thomas Aquinas, Cardinal Gibbons and University School demonstrated they are building much of their talent from within(many kids had come up through their JV teams) and had what some might consider a surprisingly low number of transfers who saw playing time.  For instance, I watched some game film of CG's state championship team last year, and of 26 players I watched, only two had transferred in for last season.

So, it is not fair to put everyone in the same bucket.  It's only fair to look at each team on a case-by-case basis instead of assuming that "everyone is doing it."   And not every transfer is the same.  For me, there's a difference between a kid who transfers in his sophomore season, has to work his way into a starting position, and gives a school 3 good years versus a senior who comes into a school to fill an obvious void in a critical position and becomes an instant starter.  

High School football will be college football light. A few power teams consolidating the talent. IMG is ahead of the curve I suppose. I know they recruit all over the world. Most can't pay the $70,000+ tuition a year. But exceptions can be made financially

If kids want to transfer and the parents can pull it off, and it is allowed then it will be difficult to stop. I imagine that players want to go to Lakeland to play football and STA and Armwood et al....  Unless HS football institutes some sort of transfer rule about not playing the next year then it seems this is a trend that will continue. Even college with the new transfer portal isn't the hindrance to transfers it once was.

I doubt everyone is doing it but everyone could be doing it if they had something of value to offer. A coach or a program like the powerhouses have. So unless it is against the rules and those rules can or will be enforced, then everyone can do it.

35 minutes ago, Jags904 said:

Unless there is an actual change of address into the school, there should be a one year ban on participating with the future school at all. No attending workouts, nothing.   

Because of the law that was enacted a few years ago, I think the FHSAA's hands are tied on this issue.  If someone knows otherwise, please say so. 

8 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Because of the law that was enacted a few years ago, I think the FHSAA's hands are tied on this issue.  If someone knows otherwise, please say so. 

They could still transfer to whatever school that will take them, they’d just be ineligible for athletic competition for 365 years. 

9 minutes ago, Jags904 said:

They could still transfer to whatever school that will take them, they’d just be ineligible for athletic competition for 365 years. 

But arguably, that would defeat both the letter of the law (i.e., to allow free transfer) and the purpose of the law (to allow football players from neighboring Polk County schools to transfer to Lakeland and immediately play).  :D