Commenting on High School Football Officiating.

Jambun82

The tired and old "tradition" of posters to the message board critiquing and commenting on the officiating has reared its ugly head already in week 1. Anybody who posts on a game that he/she attended or watched, and makes comments such as "the refs sucked" or "the refs cheated one team out of a win" should have the common decency to expand on these "observations" when asked to. If not, then please refrain from commenting on the officiating at all. 

Believe it or not, and despite being banned for about a year effectively for criticizing officiating, I do generally despise the incessant picking on officials. What I wish would happen is for officials to observe the college and pro games officiating and try to use similar judgment. You'll see way more ticky tack holding calls in high school than the other levels. The other area they can improve is on the speed with which they settle calls. We see way too many, and way too long, officiating delays in high school.

For the record, I can't find fault with the officiating in the Norland-Lakeland game.  

People have too high of expectations for HS refs.  They aren't full time refs and it's just a side hustle so you shouldn't expect NFL level refs (which everyone seems to hate on anyway, ironically).  The refs actually see more than you think and don't call half the stuff they could call to keep the game moving, especially in the area of holding.  When I work the chains I'm always talking to the side judge and many times they are cool and tell me things they see and let go.  This gave me a new appreciation for their tough job. 

Now the only time I get ticked at the refs is when they pick on one team for whatever reason that may be.   Take for instance a game I attended tonight, they called a puzzling unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for a DB making the incomplete signal on one team but didn't call it on the other team when they did it.  They also called 4 other unsportsmanlike conduct calls on the same team with zero called on the other team.  One sided.  I just want consistency in their calls.

My recap:

Quarter 1

TD called back on Vero 1st series was legit - definitely motion / illegal shift on Vero

Holding call  on MNW at 7:46 on 2nd drive looked legit - moved Vero to MNW 11

A few obvious jumps/offsides on Vero - 3 in one possession
Close call  around 6 min mark on a potential fumble ruled as incomplete pass - looked like right decision.

Lots of jumps overall, nothing seemed particularly out of order or one sided.

One questionable no-call PI on MNW around 5min mark. Looked like interference to me and from the commentators. 

Running into the kicker call on Bulls was legit. Defensive holding on Bulls soon after inconclusive due to being out of frame. Was 2nd defensive holding call on MNW DBs

Commentators seemed to think Bulls' DLine was leaning into neutral zone and not called

Vero Final Drive, late hit called against Bulls was legit - put Vero at the 3 and led to 1st score.

No overtly problematic calls Q1 as far as video showed. Some missed/uneven calls but nothing that would change the 6-0 outcome of the quarter. I can't tell about the two sideline warnings on MNW because both were out of frame.

Quarter 2

Personal foul against Vero for pulling helmet off Bull on a tackle WAS questionable. This call allowed MNW possession for a long drive that might have ended in a punt but ended in a score. Subsequent delay of game and illegal formation calls against bulls looked legit.

1st and goal for Bulls and sideline warning becomes penalty. Obviously this is third call against Bulls. Assume it was legit, but out of frame. Bulls score anyway: Bulls 7, Indians 6

Next possession, unsportsmanlike conduct called on MNW, late flag. No one seemed to know who it was on.

End of that series, pooch kick returned by Bulls for TD. Same offiicial throws flag just prior to returner entering endzone. Commentator initially agreed because he saw Vero player fall in front of MNW player at the spot of the flag - called it a "silly foul" to block the guy in the back like that after the returner had clearly beaten him.

Slow motion clearly showed that wasn't a block in the back. So 2nd commentator seemed to pivot in his comment away from this ruling and said, "must have been an illegal block" . So clearly commentators missed it, camera didn't show it. So the play was either out of frame (irrelevant to the play) or potentially a bad call.

Holding call on MNW was obvious

False start call on MNW punt actually helped them pinning Vero inside own 10.

Holding call at 3min mark on Vero legit according to commentators.

Roughing the passer on MNW QB was obvious. officials debated ball placement because it was a completion. Ball eventually placed correctly. Next play, Bulls score with 7 seconds left.

two separate delay of game calls on both sides evened out

Halftime: Bulls 13, Indians 6 

3rd quarter

Offsides called on Vero to start kickoff looked right (camera was zoomed in, but you could see helmet on botom of screen looked past line, but commentators complained).

1st series, Bulls jump, legit

MNW illegal procedure call hard to tell.

Personal foul (late hit) on Vero looked legit. Set up MNW inside Vero red zone

Bulls TD at 9:45 - flag thrown for holding #79 for MNW did indeed look to hold, saw Vero Dlineman #76 complain, had left arm under leg and turned sideways. So good call, even though QB had already rolled out.

MNW flagged for intentional grounding. Very late call. Momentum shifts back to Vero at this point.

MNW punt: Block in back on Vero Beach was apparent on the video, but commentators initially called confidently that MNW had illegal block. Didn't see it.

Very late flag (personal foul) against MNW - commentators seemed to be confused as to what it was for. Speculated that it was sideline warning again.

Vero commentator questioned where official placed ball after forward momentum by Bulls QB, but replay showed placement was correct.

Just prior to Vero score, MNW charged with 2 consecutive 12-men on the field calls. Legit. Just bad coaching there. Personal foul on Bulls during Vero TD is earned. Ejection because it was helmet to helmet and QB was already in end zone by 5 yards. Game tied at 13 w 3 min left in quarter

Last 20 seconds MNW called on some  defensive holding call that was unidentifiable by both the commentators and the camera.

4th quarter

1st series, #5 MNW safety called for personal foul with late flag. questionable. safety was falling, helmets contacted, but could have easily been a no call.

Next play defensive PI on Bulls, brings Indians to 1st and goal inside the Bulls 10. good call.

Bulls with 103 yard pick 6 TD. Holding call negates it. No camera angle on it. Commentators didn't see it either. Block was clearly no where near the play. Camera showed Bulls DB got a jump and beat all but two of his blockers. So block, if legit, was out of the play. I can see some concern here.

A couple plays later, Bulls false start. Close but good call.

Next play, big TD called back on Bulls 3 and 14. Flag was thrown earlier in backfield on screen play. Illegal procedure. Didn't see it, but probably legit. You can see frustration kicking in on Bull's side.

Penalty #30 on Bulls pins them inside their own 5.

Punt return for Vero flagged twice: illegal block on Vero, late hit on Bulls. 1st call good, late hit ok, commentator aid hit was 5 yards out of bounds, but camera showed it was closer than that and momentum forced. Could have been a no call. On same play, it appeared that the Vero receiver's knee touched the turf at the point of reception. Referees took a while to make the call. Penalties should have been of setting. 

eventually, zebras rule "knee was down" - then two dead ball fouls followed. Took several minutes to resume play.

Big run by Vero, holding call made. No evident on camera. Veros still maintain drive.

Bulls called for CB lining up in neutral zone

Bulled flagged late for Personal Foul in endzone (facemask). Could not see on camera but official was right there. Eventually called of setting penalties. Serious lack of discipline. Before next play, MNW calls timeout.

3rd and 1 inside the 5, MNW gets flagged for their THIRD 12-men on the field call. No excuses here. Vero 1st down at the Bulls 3 yard line. Two plays inside of the 3 and no score. Commentators are beside themselves. TD on 3rd down. Missed PAT with 2:25 in game

ensuing kickoff, obvious fair catch violation on Vero.

Bulls miss last best chance to win with open dropped ball by #2. Would have been TD.

Before next snap, MNW coaches called for being on field. Not visible but probably legit. - It was the 4th overall. Officials' decision took far too long to call.

Final 19-13

Overall, one score negated for Indians, 4 called back for Bulls. 2 of them were questionable, 2 weren't. Clearly, MNW is undiciplined, both on the field and on the sideline. But also clear, MNW has more talent overall. If they can get some discipline they are still looking as a contender come playoff time.

1 hour ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

My recap:

Quarter 1

TD called back on Vero 1st series was legit - definitely motion / illegal shift on Vero

Close call  around 6 min mark on a potential fumble ruled as incomplete pass - looked like right decision.

One questionable no-call PI on MNW around 5min mark. Looked like interference to me and from the commentators. 

Running into the kicker call on Bulls was legit. Defensive holding on Bulls soon after inconclusive due to being out of frame. Was 2nd defensive holding call on MNW DBs

Commentators seemed to think Bulls' DLine was leaning into neutral zone and not called

Vero Final Drive, late hit called against Bulls was legit - put Vero at the 3 and led to 1st score.

No overtly problematic calls Q1 as far as video showed. Some missed/uneven calls but nothing that would change the 6-0 outcome of the quarter. I can't tell about the two sideline warnings on MNW because both were out of frame.

Quarter 2

Personal foul against Vero for pulling helmet off Bull on a tackle WAS questionable. This call allowed MNW possession for a long drive that might have ended in a punt but ended in a score. Subsequent delay of game and illegal formation calls against bulls looked legit.

1st and goal for Bulls and sideline warning becomes penalty. Obviously this is third call against Bulls. Assume it was legit, but out of frame. Bulls score anyway: Bulls 7, Indians 6

Next possession, unsportsmanlike conduct called on MNW, late flag. No one seemed to know who it was on.

End of that series, pooch kick returned by Bulls for TD. Same offiicial throws flag just prior to returner entering endzone. Commentator initially agreed because he saw Vero player fall in front of MNW player at the spot of the flag - called it a "silly foul" to block the guy in the back like that after the returner had clearly beaten him.

Slow motion clearly showed that wasn't a block in the back. So 2nd commentator seemed to pivot in his comment away from this ruling and said, "must have been an illegal block" . So clearly commentators missed it, camera didn't show it. So the play was either out of frame (irrelevant to the play) or potentially a bad call.

Roughing the passer on MNW QB was obvious. officials debated ball placement because it was a completion. Ball eventually placed correctly. Next play, Bulls score with 7 seconds left.

3rd quarter

Offsides called on Vero to start kickoff looked right (camera was zoomed in, but you could see helmet on botom of screen looked past line, but commentators complained).

Bulls TD at 9:45 - flag thrown for holding #79 for MNW did indeed look to hold, saw Vero Dlineman #76 complain, had left arm under leg and turned sideways. So good call, even though QB had already rolled out.

MNW flagged for intentional grounding. Very late call. Momentum shifts back to Vero at this point.

MNW punt: Block in back on Vero Beach was apparent on the video, but commentators initially called confidently that MNW had illegal block. Didn't see it.

Very late flag (personal foul) against MNW - commentators seemed to be confused as to what it was for. Speculated that it was sideline warning again.

Vero commentator questioned where official placed ball after forward momentum by Bulls QB, but replay showed placement was correct.

Just prior to Vero score, MNW charged with 2 consecutive 12-men on the field calls. Legit. Just bad coaching there. Personal foul on Bulls during Vero TD is earned. Ejection because it was helmet to helmet and QB was already in end zone by 5 yards. Game tied at 13 w 3 min left in quarter

Last 20 seconds MNW called on some  defensive holding call that was unidentifiable by both the commentators and the camera.

4th quarter

1st series, #5 MNW safety called for personal foul with late flag. questionable. safety was falling, helmets contacted, but could have easily been a no call.

Next play defensive PI on Bulls, brings Indians to 1st and goal inside the Bulls 10. good call.

Bulls with 103 yard pick 6 TD. Holding call negates it. No camera angle on it. Commentators didn't see it either. Block was clearly no where near the play. Camera showed Bulls DB got a jump and beat all but two of his blockers. So block, if legit, was out of the play. I can see some concern here.

Next play, big TD called back on Bulls 3 and 14. Flag was thrown earlier in backfield on screen play. Illegal procedure. Didn't see it, but probably legit. You can see frustration kicking in on Bull's side.

Punt return for Vero flagged twice: illegal block on Vero, late hit on Bulls. 1st call good, late hit ok, commentator aid hit was 5 yards out of bounds, but camera showed it was closer than that and momentum forced. Could have been a no call. On same play, it appeared that the Vero receiver's knee touched the turf at the point of reception. Referees took a while to make the call. Penalties should have been of setting. 

eventually, zebras rule "knee was down" - then two dead ball fouls followed. Took several minutes to resume play.

Big run by Vero, holding call made. No evident on camera. Veros still maintain drive.

Bulled flagged late for Personal Foul in endzone (facemask). Could not see on camera but official was right there. Eventually called of setting penalties. Serious lack of discipline. Before next play, MNW calls timeout.

3rd and 1 inside the 5, MNW gets flagged for their THIRD 12-men on the field call. No excuses here. Vero 1st down at the Bulls 3 yard line. Two plays inside of the 3 and no score. Commentators are beside themselves. TD on 3rd down. Missed PAT with 2:25 in game

Bulls miss last best chance to win with open dropped ball by #2. Would have been TD.

Before next snap, MNW coaches called for being on field. Not visible but probably legit. - It was the 4th overall. Officials' decision took far too long to call.

Final 19-13

Overall, one score negated for Indians, 4 called back for Bulls. 2 of them were questionable, 2 weren't. Clearly, MNW is undiciplined, both on the field and on the sideline. But also clear, MNW has more talent overall. If they can get some discipline they are still looking as a contender come playoff time.

Great breakdown Explorer, from a non bias view point thank you. You pointed out something I’ve been wondering as well, these penalties especially the punt return, were they the players in frame or somewhere else. I wish the refs could be mic’d up and call out the numbers for the players they are calling the infractions on. If it was the guy who tripped during the punt then yes that’s a horrible call, but the frame doesn’t show the whole field. I’d be curious to know if NW had any type of videotape or YouTube channel to watch and see if there were different angles. Thank you again!

Here’s a screenshot for anyone curious of the punt, this is all you saw when the flag (circled) comes into play. The NW player did NOT block in the back the Vero player stumbled. It’s at the 2 hour, 1 minute and 38 second part of the YouTube video.

https://imgur.com/a/jWCClNc

23 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

Believe it or not, and despite being banned for about a year effectively for criticizing officiating, I do generally despise the incessant picking on officials. What I wish would happen is for officials to observe the college and pro games officiating and try to use similar judgment. You'll see way more ticky tack holding calls in high school than the other levels. The other area they can improve is on the speed with which they settle calls. We see way too many, and way too long, officiating delays in high school.

For the record, I can't find fault with the officiating in the Norland-Lakeland game.  

High School Football is a different game than Pro or College Football. 

21 hours ago, PinellasFB said:

People have too high of expectations for HS refs.  They aren't full time refs and it's just a side hustle so you shouldn't expect NFL level refs (which everyone seems to hate on anyway, ironically).  The refs actually see more than you think and don't call half the stuff they could call to keep the game moving, especially in the area of holding.  When I work the chains I'm always talking to the side judge and many times they are cool and tell me things they see and let go.  This gave me a new appreciation for their tough job. 

Now the only time I get ticked at the refs is when they pick on one team for whatever reason that may be.   Take for instance a game I attended tonight, they called a puzzling unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for a DB making the incomplete signal on one team but didn't call it on the other team when they did it.  They also called 4 other unsportsmanlike conduct calls on the same team with zero called on the other team.  One sided.  I just want consistency in their calls.

Officials are not required or expected to "even out penalties." 

7 hours ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

My recap:

Quarter 1

Quarter 2

3rd quarter

4th quarter

Final 19-13

What makes you qualified to critique and rate the officiating, ExplorerHomer2? 

45 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

. BTW, I also know you are an insecure, unpleasant person though I have never met you in person. 

This is everything.

Every post from this guy is a poorly veiled passive aggressive quip. He's egotistical and unapologetically abrasive on nearly every comment. In short, he is a dick.

1 hour ago, Jambun82 said:

At least 5 other members of the forum seem to appreciate and most importantly not feel intimidated by my comments. Sorry for your singular fragility. You should see someone about it.

6 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

You literally ask everyone to give examples of poor officiating when they mention bad calls. He went through and broke them all down and actually agreed with more calls than most other people have, now you’re taking issue with it?! He NEVER rated the officials, simply stated his opinions on the calls. You are known for asking why people don’t agree with calls or what happened, he gave it to you and instead of breaking down the calls yourself your attacking him. YOU have given ZERO input on the officiating, only questioning people instead on this and other threads. Get over yourself, refs are human and screw up. 

1 hour ago, Trelle said:

Get over yourself, refs are human and screw up. 

That is 100% correct. Usually, it's just human error; occasionally, it's bias whether recognized by the official or not; very rarely, it's an intentional effort to impact the result; but in each and everyone of these cases, it's what makes us as a species, "human".

In the case of our resident referee, I would hate for him to be in charge of the crew that officiates one of my teams games because he's arrogant beyond belief, believing that his calls are always and forever correct; in short, denying his own humanity.

14 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I don't know about supervisor. But I do know I am your superior. BTW, I also know you are an insecure, unpleasant person though I have never met you in person. 

You are not my superior, but I take the second part of your statement to be a great compliment coming from you. Thank you for making my day! 

14 hours ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

At least 5 other members of the forum seem to appreciate and most importantly not feel intimidated by my comments. Sorry for your singular fragility. You should see someone about it.

Why don't you just answer my question: WHAT MAKES YOU QUALIFIED TO CRITIQUE AND RATE THE OFFICIATING, EXPLORERHOMER2? 

8 hours ago, Trelle said:

You literally ask everyone to give examples of poor officiating when they mention bad calls. He went through and broke them all down and actually agreed with more calls than most other people have, now you’re taking issue with it?! He NEVER rated the officials, simply stated his opinions on the calls. You are known for asking why people don’t agree with calls or what happened, he gave it to you and instead of breaking down the calls yourself your attacking him. YOU have given ZERO input on the officiating, only questioning people instead on this and other threads. Get over yourself, refs are human and screw up. 

I ask posters what problems that he/she might have with the officiating when I see posts such as  "the officiating sucked" "home cooking" and other garbage that I read from uninformed posters who think that they know anything about officiating when most posters know nothing about what an officials role is, and what they are looking for. I try to help out and correct when I can, but it has become obvious that most posters to this message board don't want to read or hear what I have to say, even though I am the most qualified person to talk about anything regarding officiating on this message board by far.