Most Current FHSAA Rankings

DarterBlue2

Columbus is all boys. It's 3400 because you double.

You really only need two real private school classes and one smaller open class for all the recruited up super powers. 16 teams or so. All qualify for season ending tournament (Playoffs). Move down the bottom 4 every year and promote the state champs and runner ups from the other two classes. It would probably look something like this. School size doesn't matter for the factories.

STA

IMG

Chaminade

Columbus

Bolles

Jesuit

Belen Jesuit

Benjamin

Cardinal Gibbons

Clearwater Central Catholic

Jax Trinity Christian

Carrolwood Day

Calvarly Christian

Cardinal Newman

Berekely Prep

Bishop Verot

11 hours ago, 181pl said:

Columbus is all boys. It's 3400 because you double.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:03
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently behind liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:16
Â
1x
Playback Rate
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

You really only need two real private school classes and one smaller open class for all the recruited up super powers. 16 teams or so. All qualify for season ending tournament (Playoffs). Move down the bottom 4 every year and promote the state champs and runner ups from the other two classes. It would probably look something like this. School size doesn't matter for the factories.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently behind liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19
Â
1x
Playback Rate
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

STA

IMG

Chaminade

Columbus

Bolles

Jesuit

Belen Jesuit

Benjamin

Cardinal Gibbons

Clearwater Central Catholic

Jax Trinity Christian

Carrolwood Day

Calvarly Christian

Cardinal Newman

Berekely Prep

Bishop Verot

And Miami Central, Northwestern and a few other publics get more transfers than everyone on the list not named IMG Academy

What you gonna do to control them? Since it's clear the FHSAA is handcuffed and the state legislature for some reason supports the public school chaos

Since I have a casual interest in what happens in class 3S, last week's number one ranked team St Augustine won at Gainesville (Purple Hurricanes)  56-0.  But in the overall FHSAA ranking's from last week to this week they fell from #6 or #7 (?) to #13. Certainly Gainesville's record (1-8) played into the drop, but winning in a shutout, on the road, by eight touchdowns means nothing ?  We all know computer polls need data for accuracy. How can one trust the FHSAA,  Maxpreps, or whomever to get the computations correct without seeing the formula.  # lostsouls  

3 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Since I have a casual interest in what happens in class 3S, last week's number one ranked team St Augustine won at Gainesville (Purple Hurricanes)  56-0.  But in the overall FHSAA ranking's from last week to this week they fell from #6 or #7 (?) to #13. Certainly Gainesville's record (1-8) played into the drop, but winning in a shutout, on the road, by seven touchdowns means nothing ?  We all know computer polls need data for accuracy. How can one trust the FHSAA,  Maxpreps, or whomever to get the computations correct without seeing the formula.  # lostsouls  

In all fairness I'm not 100% sold St Augustine should be as high as they are 

They may be the best team in an overall weak bracket but they could also lose in the first round if someone comes to play, I don't see much separation in that region overall 

2 minutes ago, SportsFan said:

In all fairness I'm not 100% sold St Augustine should be as high as they are 

They may be the best team in an overall weak bracket but they could also lose in the first round if someone comes to play, I don't see much separation in that region overall 

I think overall 3S is one of the weaker classes.

After looking through the most recent ranking of the FHSAA, I can say it has gotten better by a fairly significant amount. However, there are still some serious discrepancies. I have listed a few examples:

Teams clearly ranked too low: Miami Central at 35, Jones at 99.

Teams clearly ranked too high: Williston at 9, Walton at 12, Bradford at 14, Eu Galle at 15, Orange City University at 16, Atlantic Delray at 18.

I could cite many more examples. Many of the underrated teams are in great positions to secure playoff spots. For them, I shed no tears as they will have ample opportunity in the playoffs to show their mettle. 

Likewise, many of the overrated teams have also secured playoff spots deservingly, as they are slated to be district champs which are automatic births. 

Where I have concerns are for the deserving teams that will likely be left out because of quirks and/or errors and for the undeserving teams that may benefit at their expense. 

On 10/25/2023 at 3:47 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

After looking through the most recent ranking of the FHSAA, I can say it has gotten better by a fairly significant amount. However, there are still some serious discrepancies. I have listed a few examples:

Teams clearly ranked too low: Miami Central at 35, Jones at 99.

Teams clearly ranked too high: Williston at 9, Walton at 12, Bradford at 14, Eu Galle at 15, Orange City University at 16, Atlantic Delray at 18.

I could cite many more examples. Many of the underrated teams are in great positions to secure playoff spots. For them, I shed no tears as they will have ample opportunity in the playoffs to show their mettle. 

Likewise, many of the overrated teams have also secured playoff spots deservingly, as they are slated to be district champs which are automatic births. 

Where I have concerns are for the deserving teams that will likely be left out because of quirks and/or errors and for the undeserving teams that may benefit at their expense. 

Do inter-class rankings matter for our purposes of playoffs though (which is really all we are using them for)?
Jones would be 5th in their region behind Edgewater, Armwood, Tampa Bay Tech, and Oviedo.
MaxPreps has Jones as #2 in the region with Armwood right on their heels with a little bit of distance between them and TBT and Oviedo.

Central is #2 in the region (FHSAA) only behind Miami Norland (8-0) and a good number of points above BTW.  (MaxPreps is similar).

One of the questions that always needs to be answered when making a playoff system is do you only let teams in that have a chance of winning a couple of games (even if that means a good team sits out) or do you make sure every team capable of winning is in (even if that means mediocre team gets in as well). I don't have an answer, but whichever you choose there are consequences.

Again, create a promotion/relegation system that moves consistently excellent teams up and consistently bad teams down, require great teams to play each other for 7 games a year, offer some financial incentive for teams to play teams who would be a long distance away (3+ hours), as certain teams continue to get kids in the transfer portal, schools that aren't getting them can feel confident that they are only playing similar type programs. Make it easy for excellent teams to make playoffs, make it hard for the bad classification teams to make the playoffs.

If you look at the reason that the SSAC is continuing to grow (even if nobody is going to rave about the level of football being played by them), it is schools/teams are tired of playing those "win at all costs" programs and their conference allows them to play schools with similar athletic values. 

On 10/25/2023 at 9:50 AM, Dan in Daytona said:

Since I have a casual interest in what happens in class 3S, last week's number one ranked team St Augustine won at Gainesville (Purple Hurricanes)  56-0.  But in the overall FHSAA ranking's from last week to this week they fell from #6 or #7 (?) to #13. Certainly Gainesville's record (1-8) played into the drop, but winning in a shutout, on the road, by eight touchdowns means nothing ?  We all know computer polls need data for accuracy. How can one trust the FHSAA,  Maxpreps, or whomever to get the computations correct without seeing the formula.  # lostsouls  

One of the few things we do know about the formula is that margin of victory does not count. So, the ratings system interprets St. Augustine's win as it would if it were 56-55 (or 10-9, etc). 

Because margin of victory is out, what we have is basically what we had before. it's just your W-L record and the records of your opponents and their opponents.

2 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Now that the FHSAA is officially run by the state, shouldn't some enterprising journalist be able to file a freedom of information request on the fhsaa for the formula?

Probably but because it's run by the state it's run by hypocrites so expect a ton of red tape and bullshit that you would have to spend months digging for that information as they will try to give the runaround for it 

11 minutes ago, Perspective said:

What?   You don't think 1R Williston is better than both 4M Lake Mary and 4M Seminole?   :P

On any given night ... I doubt they would win.

As an Apopka fan I should like the direction Region 1 is going in. We are currently seeded 4 in Region 1. If we beat Wekiva on Friday, there's a strong chance we jump over Winter Park and claim the # 3 spot, as the two teams are rated almost the same and Wekiva, I believe, is more highly rated then Lake Brantley by a bit.  If this happens, we likely get a first round rematch with Evans at home or a game against Hagerty at home. And if Lake Mary beats Mainland they retain the # 1 seed but would likely have to travel to Boone. That would leave Seminole playing either Hagerty or Evans (more likely Hagerty) and Mandarin traveling to Winter Park, where they will have an excellent chance of pulling off the win.

The most likely scenario from the above, is that Lake Mary faces the winner of Mandarin/Winter Park while Apopka faces Seminole at Seminole. Though Seminole beat us comfortably in the regular season, I much prefer playing them than Lake Mary in round 2. And, if Mandarin can upset Lake Mary in their rematch, and Apopka finds a way to edge out the Noles, we would get a dream regional final at our place against Mandarin. 

While the above still leaves a steep hill to climb, it looks less daunting than it did a week ago. 

45 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

So you want teams that have no shot to just act as cannon fodder? 

It's that way in 50 out of 50 states my friend.  Even the most competitive of all leagues, the NFL, has teams who made the playoffs but have zero percent chance of winning it.  Do you think it matters to the fans or the players?  Team goals were met and a successful season was had.  My son's team, Palm Harbor, just won it's first ever district title in school history.  Do you think it matters to these kids that they will never beat a recruited and loaded Columbus team?  Hell no, they are on cloud nine, just happy to be there and they earned it and this is the beauty of a tournament where you can play your way in as an underdog.