Most Current FHSAA Rankings

DarterBlue2

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Below:

https://fhsaa.com/rankings.aspx?path=football

A slight improvement from the last two, but there are still significant disparities in my opinion.

I am pretty certain deserving team will be left out of the playoffs. The corollary is clearly also true. 

So for example if the season was to end today what would that mean for Dillard ? Yea I know we haven’t played a district game yet but still lol

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Below:

https://fhsaa.com/rankings.aspx?path=football

A slight improvement from the last two, but there are still significant disparities in my opinion.

I am pretty certain deserving team will be left out of the playoffs. The corollary is clearly also true. 

Yup, they moved Miami Central up to #47 overall and #4 in their classification.  Apopka is sitting at #51 overall and #7 in your classification.  Another head scratcher is Manatee a spot ahead of Venice despite getting trounced by them 2 weeks earlier.  Thank God they moved us up to #266 overall and #44 in our class.  I guess that meets your definition of "Slight Improvement"!:lol:

29 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

So for example if the season was to end today what would that mean for Dillard ? Yea I know we haven’t played a district game yet but still lol

Dillard is currently ranked 5th in Region 3, of Class 3M. Dillard would, therefore, make the playoffs if the season ended today. But you would be on the road for game 1 unless you won your district. Overall, in your division, 3M, you are ranked 14th.

2 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Miami Northwestern is almost certainly out of the playoffs as they are ranked 29th in 2M. If they squeak in it will be as the 8th seed in Region 4.

After their come from behind, 24-22 win over the Newberry Panthers, it appears NOTHING can stop the Williston Red Devils in their march to be among the top 20 teams in the state regardless of classification. You may wonder about Miami Columbus, Miami Central, Lakeland or Venice. But, you would be a fool: this is the year of the Williston Red Devils. That's why they continue to be rated above all of those teams.

12 hours ago, Dr. D said:

And if the season ended today, and the FHSAA Classification Task Force proposal for an Open Division "Top 32" was in effect, Williston would host Seminole in a first-round matchup. 

The only question remaining is by how much would Williston be favored  according to This_Is_Dillard's South Florida odds makers.  :D

19 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Dillard is currently ranked 5th in Region 3, of Class 3M. Dillard would, therefore, make the playoffs if the season ended today. But you would be on the road for game 1 unless you won your district. Overall, in your division, 3M, you are ranked 14th.

I thought they didn’t automatically rank you in the top 4 spots just because you’re a district champ. 

because last year Dillard lost their district to Aquinas & we hosted our first two playoff games. 

Blanche ely who won their district last year hosted the first round and came to us round 2  because we were like the 2 seed behind Aquinas even as the technical “District Runner Up”:

Complete joke as ususal. 

Rankings are silly for HS football when you have districts and playoffs. I'll say it for the 10,000th time. Large districts, large classes, everything comes out in the wash. I personally would separate private schools into three classes of their own. Open, large, and small. This makes it fair for the schools that still value academics and have not whored themselves out to try and become football factories. I would do 4 large public school classes (which would include charter schools, as they are publicly funded). Perhaps one rural class for tiny schools in the middle of nowhere. If you incorporated the numerous independent schools and schools in the SSAC, all the classes would be robust.

1 hour ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I thought they didn’t automatically rank you in the top 4 spots just because you’re a district champ. - This is a true statement. But if you are a District Champ, you get to host your first playoff game this year. So, if Dillard ends up as # 5 in the Region but wins its district, it will host its first game only.

because last year Dillard lost their district to Aquinas & we hosted our first two playoff games. - You can host your first game (and more), if your opponent is not a district champ and you rank higher than them. After game 1, the highest seed always hosts. 

Blanche ely who won their district last year hosted the first round and came to us round 2  because we were like the 2 seed behind Aquinas even as the technical “District Runner Up”: - See my answer to your second paragraph.

See responses in red above. 

30 minutes ago, Vero Indian said:

Next year about to get crazier with the open division, so I guess if we beat two state ranked teams then we'll be one of the 32 teams to compete in the open division lol, imagine going STA 3rd round of the playoffs......Daunting 

But it's a chance to rise up.

Personally, I would rather a promote/relegate system, with the top division be the best 32 teams in the state regardless of enrollment or whether they are public or private. This ranking of the top 32 should be based on how they perform over the prior three or four years with a weighted ranking applied to the years, the highest weight to the most current year, etc.

During the regular season, these teams could play a schedule that would include at least five opponents from the top division with the remainder selected at the discretion of the school.  All 32 team would make the playoffs. I am agnostic as to whether I would group them into 8 regions or whether to just have them complete their playoff schedules based on ranking at the end of the regular season with 1 playing 32, 2 playing 31, etc., with the same method being applied in each subsequent round. 

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Personally, I would rather a promote/relegate system, with the top division be the best 32 teams in the state regardless of enrollment or whether they are public or private. This ranking of the top 32 should be based on how they perform over the prior three or four years with a weighted ranking applied to the years, the highest weight to the most current year, etc.

During the regular season, these teams could play a schedule that would include at least five opponents from the top division with the remainder selected at the discretion of the school.  All 32 team would make the playoffs. I am agnostic as to whether I would group them into 8 regions or whether to just have them complete their playoff schedules based on ranking at the end of the regular season with 1 playing 32, 2 playing 31, etc., with the same method being applied in each subsequent round. 

I agree with the opinions of our AD, HC and others when it comes to ranking based on polls as opposed to actual results on the field. This was their comments when interviewed about the open division for the top 32 teams.  Two years ago, we were told that SOS would be rewarded so we scheduled accordingly one of the toughest schedules in the state.  Thru that early gauntlet we were 4-3 and when the FHSAA put out the rankings we came in at #33 in 4S.  Yes, in 4S!!  At seasons end we dominated Mainland 33-6 who would barely lose the 3S championship to Lake Wales (32-30) and we took Lakeland to the wire in both games, the eventual 4S champ.  Ask them if they thought we were #33 in 4S.  Those advocating for less classifications, bigger districts and separate championships for public and private get my vote with automatic bids for winners and runner up.  Will it leave a potential playoff type team out now and then?  Yes, but at least you have clearly laid out rules for getting into the playoffs and aren't left to wonder about the "HOCUS POCUS".

35 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

So basically do away districts and pull from the top 32 teams to schedule??

18 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I agree with the opinions of our AD, HC and others when it comes to ranking based on polls as opposed to actual results on the field. This was their comments when interviewed about the open division for the top 32 teams.  Two years ago, we were told that SOS would be rewarded so we scheduled accordingly one of the toughest schedules in the state.  Thru that early gauntlet we were 4-3 and when the FHSAA put out the rankings we came in at #33 in 4S.  Yes, in 4S!!  At seasons end we dominated Mainland 33-6 who would barely lose the 3S championship to Lake Wales (32-30) and we took Lakeland to the wire in both games, the eventual 4S champ.  Ask them if they thought we were #33 in 4S.  Those advocating for less classifications, bigger districts and separate championships for public and private get my vote with automatic bids for winners and runner up.  Will it leave a potential playoff type team out now and then?  Yes, but at least you have clearly laid out rules for getting into the playoffs and aren't left to wonder about the "HOCUS POCUS".

I am inclined to agree with most of what you said, except that I don't necessarily want to separate public schools from private schools. As a society the USA is already seriously segregated economically and splitting public schools from private schools further promotes that trend. 

But the main point of doing away with rankings and having bigger districts and fewer classifications with district champ and runner up (with the possibility of wildcard spots) wins my vote. Unfortunately, it may be a pipe dream to think that we will ever get there as we seem to be going in the opposite direction.

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

See responses in red above. 

Got you you I was just confused because people were saying district champs automatically get the 1-4 seed which isn’t true. 

because last year Dillard was a district runner up to Aquinas and we still finished as the #2 seed which allowed us to host every playoff game until the regional finals. 

blanche ely who was district champs and with a undefeated record finished the season at the 4th seed.

which means that your seedlings is gonna be based off SOS because that’s the only way to explain Dillard being a #2 seed in last years playoffs with a 6-4 record and a runner up in their district. 

23 hours ago, Dr. D said:

And if the season ended today, and the FHSAA Classification Task Force proposal for an Open Division "Top 32" was in effect, Williston would host Seminole in a first-round matchup. 

Yup. I'm all for an "Open" Division, but it won't help to have a grotesquely incompetent approach to rating the teams.

I scraped the data from the FHSAA site.  Results are below.  Size refers to the population.

Class  Mean Rating        SD
0    1M     2.549517     9.117624
1    1R       0.002303    8.189586
2    1S     -0.121667     6.661996
3    2M    -0.103683   8.155865
4    2S      0.831387    8.520173
5    3M     1.365750    8.045310
6    3S      1.160899    7.985614
7    4M     0.473030   8.157010
8    4S      2.798478   7.440289

box plot by size.png

box plot by division.png

box plot by class.png

scatterplot division size.png

scatterplot class size.png

scatterplot class ratings.pngdistribution of ratings and sos.png

11 hours ago, anonimis said:

I scraped the data from the FHSAA site.  Results are below.  Size refers to the population.

Class  Mean Rating        SD
0    1M     2.549517     9.117624
1    1R       0.002303    8.189586
2    1S     -0.121667     6.661996
3    2M    -0.103683   8.155865
4    2S      0.831387    8.520173
5    3M     1.365750    8.045310
6    3S      1.160899    7.985614
7    4M     0.473030   8.157010
8    4S      2.798478   7.440289

Great data.  I think it would tell us a more complete story if you also added the median rating for each class.  I have a feeling there are a handful of schools really skewing the data at the top.