New FHSAA Classifications

gatorman-uf

On 12/22/2023 at 8:09 PM, TigerKing said:

3 of the schools they stuck a knife in was Fort White, Union County, & Williston. 3 traditional rural schools that are now in a loaded 1A. 

I get that they aren't in the lowest 32, but yeah man I don't know how you can look at Fort White, Newberry, Williston, Union, Bozeman, etc. and expect them to compete in the same classification as Chaminade. Bozeman gave up 60 to Madison, and Chaminade would beat Madison just as bad as they beat Bozeman....Williston couldn't get past Hawthorne, who would also lose to Chaminade in spectacular fashion. It is very unfortunate for those fringe 1A/1R schools.

47 minutes ago, CoachGraham said:

I get that they aren't in the lowest 32, but yeah man I don't know how you can look at Fort White, Newberry, Williston, Union, Bozeman, etc. and expect them to compete in the same classification as Chaminade. Bozeman gave up 60 to Madison, and Chaminade would beat Madison just as bad as they beat Bozeman....Williston couldn't get past Hawthorne, who would also lose to Chaminade in spectacular fashion. It is very unfortunate for those fringe 1A/1R schools.

The only way this is ever going to get resolved is if 400+ schools announce that they are going independent at one time.

Just a note that these classifications are not final, as schools have until January 12 to appeal their placement.  Per FHSAA policy, the basis of an appeal could be either a discrepancy in the enrollment count, or geographic isolation (travel) in which case the school could be placed in the next higher classification on a successful appeal.  I seem to remember a time in the old days (or maybe it was in another state) where schools could petition to "play up" for "competitive" reasons.  I guess that's not feasible now, as 60 schools in 1A would elect to play up, leaving Chaminade in a classification all to themselves.  

10 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

The only way this is ever going to get resolved is if 400+ schools announce that they are going independent at one time.

I suspect you’ll hear of a few notable smaller programs go independent over the next few weeks, but I’m not sure it’ll be enough to matter. 

12 hours ago, TigerKing said:

I suspect you’ll hear of a few notable smaller programs go independent over the next few weeks, but I’m not sure it’ll be enough to matter. 

It is just really tough. If you're a Union County, what do you do? You pretty much have to suck it up and just get as far as you can just to lose to Chaminade. I am sure they will appeal, but probably to no avail.

22 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Somewhat real question for a second, but I don't feel like researching it. 
1) I am almost positive the state legislature allows schools to be in multiple associations. 
2) I thought there used to be a requirement that all public schools had to be members of the FHSAA.
3) I don't think number #2 is true anymore, but even if it was, but as long as #1 is still true why not create a parallel association, where you are independent in the FHSAA (to satisfy any state requirements), and then create the association you want with the rules you want. 

17 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Somewhat real question for a second, but I don't feel like researching it. 
1) I am almost positive the state legislature allows schools to be in multiple associations. 
2) I thought there used to be a requirement that all public schools had to be members of the FHSAA.
3) I don't think number #2 is true anymore, but even if it was, but as long as #1 is still true why not create a parallel association, where you are independent in the FHSAA (to satisfy any state requirements), and then create the association you want with the rules you want. 

1. They do.

2. Not anymore.

3. That is similar to what the SSAC does. Issue would be if you didn't follow the FHSAA rules then you wouldn't be eligible for postseason play, but some schools do it this way and are a part of the SSAC and the FHSAA. Although we probably would benefit from another/bigger association. 

1 hour ago, CoachGraham said:

1. They do.

2. Not anymore.

3. That is similar to what the SSAC does. Issue would be if you didn't follow the FHSAA rules then you wouldn't be eligible for postseason play, but some schools do it this way and are a part of the SSAC and the FHSAA. Although we probably would benefit from another/bigger association. 

You beat me to it. But isn't SSAC all small private schools that didn't want to be part of the old class 2A? Would they allow publics to join ? I was suggesting 400+ schools going independent, play 10 games and maybe a bowl. Make Chaminades and STAs play each other. 

3 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

You beat me to it. But isn't SSAC all small private schools that didn't want to be part of the old class 2A? Would they allow publics to join ? I was suggesting 400+ schools going independent, play 10 games and maybe a bowl. Make Chaminades and STAs play each other. 

Quite a few smaller public schools have joined recently.

Bell joined it last year I know for certain.

9 hours ago, CoachGraham said:

It is just really tough. If you're a Union County, what do you do? You pretty much have to suck it up and just get as far as you can just to lose to Chaminade. I am sure they will appeal, but probably to no avail.

Union County wouldn't have to play Chaminade if the FHSAA would allow the 8 team open division. Thats one of the reasons I liked that idea. 

18 hours ago, THAT S--T WAS FUNNY said:

Union County wouldn't have to play Chaminade if the FHSAA would allow the 8 team open division. Thats one of the reasons I liked that idea. 

Union County is a solid program with a winning tradition. Chaminade aside, there is still zero chance that Union County is able to keep it close with Trinity Christian, University Christian, CCC, FBA, Trinity Catholic, Benjamin, etc. Much less the other average rural programs that were bumped up to 1A. 

On 1/4/2024 at 11:20 AM, Hwy17 said:

there are alot of public schools in the atlantic portion.

Cocoa Beach 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Interlachen 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Paxon 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Stanton 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Space Coast 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Tradition Prep 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Lake Weir 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Sebastian River 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Bronson 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Bell High 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Coral Springs Charter

I think sebastian river won this "state title" last year.

can clearly see why, 

I can also see why some independent teams would benefit going to this.

as a large public high school, the aura of a state championship is way to alluring. 

but lets be serious,,,, to win the "atlantic" state championship of the ssac is comical.  

1 minute ago, h8r said:

Paxon 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Stanton 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Lake Weir 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Bronson 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Bell High 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Coral Springs Charter

can clearly see why, 

as a large public high school, the aura of a state championship is way to alluring. 

but lets be serious,,,, to win the "atlantic" state championship of the ssac is comical.  

Sebastian isn't a good team....

On 1/6/2024 at 11:14 AM, h8r said:

Paxon 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Stanton 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Lake Weir 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Bronson 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Bell High 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Coral Springs Charter

can clearly see why, 

Sebastian and Space Coast won a "state title" with space coast lone win being that state championship game lol

On 1/6/2024 at 11:14 AM, h8r said:

Paxon 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Stanton 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Lake Weir 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Bronson 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Bell High 0 0 0 .000 - 0
 Coral Springs Charter

can clearly see why, 

So how does SSAC determine their divisions or classifications? 

On 1/6/2024 at 11:15 AM, Vero Indian said:

What's crazy is that the "best" treasure coast/space coast regional team may have to face STA in the regional championship game 

Wow..... just crazy man. St. Thomas might slaughter them

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2024 at 7:07 PM, THAT S--T WAS FUNNY said:

Those talking about an "OPEN DIVISION" comprised of 24-32 teams are overlooking reality.  As I have previously stated, it is my view that the top 10% FL HS teams (roughly 50 teams) tend to follow the rules with a few exceptions.  However, when we zero in on the top 1% (roughly 6-8 teams) of FL HS teams they most certainly "RECRUIT".  Thus, I fully agree with your take on an open division comprised of only those 8 teams, as only one of them would win the championship each and every year leaving the other 40 odd excellent programs to continually be second fiddles despite doing everything right.  Also fully support having districts comprised of a minimum of 5-6 teams with fewer classifications. 

On 2/9/2024 at 1:12 PM, Ray Icaza said:

Those talking about an "OPEN DIVISION" comprised of 24-32 teams are overlooking reality.  As I have previously stated, it is my view that the top 10% FL HS teams (roughly 50 teams) tend to follow the rules with a few exceptions.  However, when we zero in on the top 1% (roughly 6-8 teams) of FL HS teams they most certainly "RECRUIT".  Thus, I fully agree with your take on an open division comprised of only those 8 teams, as only one of them would win the championship each and every year leaving the other 40 odd excellent programs to continually be second fiddles despite doing everything right.  Also fully support having districts comprised of a minimum of 5-6 teams with fewer classifications. 

6-8  teams that recruit seems a tad bit low. Come on. That might make up the teams that recruit in Dade and Broward county alone. The real number of football factories that recruit is is closer to 24-32. Take out top 24-32 and let them beat each other up since they disregard the FHSAA rules anyway

On 1/4/2024 at 8:22 PM, Dr. D said:

I think that topic was actually tabled for discussion at the next BoD meeting, so there could still be a chance that it could be adopted.  Although listening to the tone of the December 12 meeting, it did not seem like it had much support from the Board members.

Listening to that last meeting, it sounded like most had a shot of IDGAF.