biggest surprise/disappointments of 2017

DisabledAccount

6 hours ago, 941football said:

Transfers will never be in an off season. Paperwork already filled out and coaches notified to make sure its a go. That will always be the case now.  

Kind of like college and the NFL. We now have a few all star teams and then the rest. Not what most players, coaches, and parents had envisioned for their sons who just want to play football and enjoy a team atmosphere.

On 11/6/2017 at 9:23 AM, DB4 said:

I also think North Miami is a good surprise in Dade. Not just that they won district and beat NMB, but how they beat NMB (dominated).

Braddock had a nice season. Weak schedule yes, but 9 points away from that 8th seed in the playoffs.

Monsignor Pace had a nice rebound season as well.

South Miami went from way under .500 the last few years to a playoff berth.

I think Goleman disappointed. 4-5 record and 3 of the losses were by a combined 11 points. Beat South Miami, and if those 3 close losses turned to wins, they're a playoff team.

I wasn’t surprise with North Miami.. Like I told Broward before the season started, he ask me who I’m going with in that district n I told him I was high on my pioneers cause of coach dela n his reputation... You seen what he did at Miami Jackson and Norland... Hopefully they can build something there and stay for some years...

1 hour ago, Zoe Boy said:

I wasn’t surprise with North Miami.. Like I told Broward before the season started, he ask me who I’m going with in that district n I told him I was high on my pioneers cause of coach dela n his reputation... You seen what he did at Miami Jackson and Norland... Hopefully they can build something there and stay for some years...

True. Like I said, I guess it was more how they beat NMB that surprised me, not necessarily that they won.

58 minutes ago, DB4 said:

True. Like I said, I guess it was more how they beat NMB that surprised me, not necessarily that they won.

But in all honesty, NMB was absolutely horrible this year. I witnessed this first hand when they were shut out 52-0 at HALFTIME against my Explorers. Columbus isn't THAT good, NMB just looked awful.

6 minutes ago, ExplorerHomer said:

But in all honesty, NMB was absolutely horrible this year. I witnessed this first hand when they were shut out 52-0 at HALFTIME against my Explorers. Columbus isn't THAT good, NMB just looked awful.

When did they play Columbus? And that district (13-8A) is weak to me, only one weaker in region 4 is the one that Belen won. But you're right, I guess NMB is more consistent than anything. But yeah, not really good this year.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:06 PM, DB4 said:

When did they play Columbus? And that district (13-8A) is weak to me, only one weaker in region 4 is the one that Belen won. But you're right, I guess NMB is more consistent than anything. But yeah, not really good this year.

DB4, actually I'm an idiot. I spouted off before I realized I was thinking of Miami Beach, not North Miami Beach. My bad, bro.

On 11/7/2017 at 1:06 PM, DB4 said:

I also think Wellington was a bit of a disappointment. I think their QB got injured, not sure when. But a 4-5 record for them just seems underachieving to me.

Starting senior QB went down in 2nd game (2nd quarter) of season against Vero, they were hanging with Vero until that point.

44 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Starting senior QB went down in 2nd game (2nd quarter) of season against Vero, they were hanging with Vero until that point.

Okay, that makes sense. In that case, they're not as disappointing to me. Not many teams can lose their starting QB and still have a great season. The starter was supposed to be pretty good I hear

Rockledge was the biggest surprise for me. Of course Rockledge beating Cocoa and hanging with Viera has a lot to do with that. Younger has taken a disappointing program from the Lusk era to making them into a respectable team. The better athletes may be staying home with teams like Cocoa, Viera, Palm Bay and Rockledge being more competitive, meaning "less transfers". Merritt Island has always seemed to keep their better players. Brevard isn't top heavy on elite athlete's, but has a lot of very good coaches.

Disappointing team would have to be Heritage. They have the athletes, but fail to make it to a regional game. If they make it out of the first round I will be impressed. This team went from pretty good to falling off the screen in 2 years. Maybe time for a coaching change.

Rockledge is a surprise for sure. When they were 1-3 things weren't looking good, but looking at the complete body of work now that all of the results are in, it's impressive.

Looking at those 3 losses, Maxpreps has Viera at #9 in Florida,  Oceola at #15 and CCC at #29 in Florida.  All 3 teams are ranked in the top 250 in America and all 3 will probably be playing in the playoffs for multiple weeks. 

The question now becomes- how far can Rockledge go? It's a team I'd like to look at when the season is over and the champions are crowned.

2 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Rockledge is a surprise for sure. When they were 1-3 things weren't looking good, but looking at the complete body of work now that all of the results are in, it's impressive.

Looking at those 3 losses, Maxpreps has Viera at #9 in Florida,  Oceola at #15 and CCC at #27 in Florida.  All 3 teams are ranked in the top 250 in America and all 3 will probably be playing in the playoffs for multiple weeks. 

The question now becomes- how far can Rockledge go? It's a team I'd like to look at when the season is over and the champions are crowned.

Rockledge is going to have a difficult opponent in Round 2. The good news is they get them at home. Jones and Cardinal Gibbons are two of the best four teams in 5A going into the playoffs. I do believe that Rockledge will give either all they can handle next week.

If Cardinal Gibbons can come away with a win over Jones @ Jones, they will have to travel to Rockledge for another round of hard hitting, hard running competition. Should Rockledge go into that game healthy and more important, confident and focused, they have a shot to play a 3rd round at AHP. First thing is to beat a decent Palm Bay team. When Palm Bay is in the Zone, they can be a very hard team to beat. Should Rockledge get to the 3rd round and Corbin has a chance to throw more passes, then Rockledge should give AHP a decent game. I do think AHP will win, but not by 3 TD's. Rockledge's defense is 3rd best in Brevard and should hold AHP to a low scoring game. AHP beat Gibbons by 4 points. Gibbons has had a decent schedule, but softer than the Raider's. Should Rockledge beat Gibbons by a TD then they will have the confidence to make it a game against AHP, IMHO. Home field will play a factor in the in the 5A semi Regional if Jones Or Rockledge has to travel down to Ft. Lauderdale.  I just don't see either team beating AHP at home, but I didn't see Rockledge beating Cocoa either. SMH... 

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Rockledge is going to have a difficult opponent in Round 2. The good news is they get them at home. Jones and Cardinal Gibbons are two of the best four teams in 5A going into the playoffs. I do believe that Rockledge will give either all they can handle next week.

DarterBlue2, I do recall and credit you for predicting Rockledge would be on the rise in the coming years.  I remember you predicting this at States in 2015.  They are surely back on the map!

11 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

DarterBlue2, I do recall and credit you for predicting Rockledge would be on the rise in the coming years.  I remember you predicting this at States in 2015.  They are surely back on the map!

You should pull for Columbia to make states so i can join this group lol

13 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Thanks. Rockledge always has a lot of athletes in its zone. As long as it keeps them home, and there is a stable, good coaching staff there, they will be a force to recon with. It looks like that time has come. 

5A is rough, though, so I don't know how far they go. But I do believe they will fight to the end and have as good a chance as any except, probably, AHP. 

Disappointment- Oakleaf High School

Loaded with talent every year, hype their program up every off-season with all their "state of the art" techniques and training programs, yet still never make the playoffs. 2-8 this year, with enough talent to do better. Yes their schedule was tough, but I don't care.....no excuse for only winning 2 with those dudes. 

32 minutes ago, winallthetime said:

Disappointment- Oakleaf High School

Loaded with talent every year, hype their program up every off-season with all their "state of the art" techniques and training programs, yet still never make the playoffs. 2-8 this year, with enough talent to do better. Yes their schedule was tough, but I don't care.....no excuse for only winning 2 with those dudes. 

In the past few years i have felt Oakleaf has been overrated bc of a weak schedule now they step up schedule and go 2-8 which is a flip from last year 8-2 record 

We shall see if this just a off year or if Oakleaf isn't strong anymore