Transfer Season 2018

Zoe Boy

6 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Knew this was coming ....just where is what I wondered...Solid pick up for MNW.

Archbishop McCarthy has been pretty decimated the last couple years....

As a coach, going through an offseason where you lose your starting QB, RB, a WR and your best defensive player and none of it was to graduation? That's enough to have me look at coaching jobs somewhere else in the state or in a totally different state lol

11 hours ago, DB4 said:

As a coach, going through an offseason where you lose your starting QB, RB, a WR and your best defensive player and none of it was to graduation? That's enough to have me look at coaching jobs somewhere else in the state or in a totally different state lol

It's one thing to leave one's fellow team members.  It's another to leave a coach high and dry...a coach whose family depends on that job for food on the table.  That is cold.    

Just saw a documentary on a poor hs in Philly.  The kids run their own music class because they have no teacher.  And we have kids in FL who simply take for granted that they can go wherever they want, when they want, and there will be a coach there waiting for the privilege to coach them for a season.  It is such an entitlement mindset.

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

It's one thing to leave one's fellow team members.  It's another to leave a coach high and dry...a coach whose family depends on that job for food on the table.  That is cold.    

Just saw a documentary on a poor hs in Philly.  The kids run their own music class because they have no teacher.  And we have kids in FL who simply take for granted that they can go wherever they want, when they want, and there will be a coach there waiting for the privilege to coach them for a season.  It is such an entitlement mindset.

And, that is why I am against unlimited transfers for any reason at anytime. There is little to no cohesion or camaraderie and many of these teams are just becoming farm teams with colleges for certain players only . In the process so many kids on these teams are suffering as well as good coaches. When a kid is a starter or has a good possibility of making the team as a starter and then gets replaced by another kid who has just transferred in and who might not even be there for an entire season or into a second season, what does that do to the moral of that kid plus the other team members? What does it do to a coach who has a hard enough job dealing with these young kids these days and trying to put together a decent team much less a winning team.? I still think that when Governor Scott signed off on this unlimited transfer idea he had in mind students being allowed to transfer from a poor performing school academically to a good performing school. I just don't think he had in mind allowing kids in sports free rein for unlimited transferring. I fault the FHSAA for not discussing with the Governor the ramifications of unlimited transferring on the sports community. 

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

And, that is why I am against unlimited transfers for any reason at anytime. There is little to no cohesion or camaraderie and many of these teams are just becoming farm teams with colleges for certain players only . In the process so many kids on these teams are suffering as well as good coaches. When a kid is a starter or has a good possibility of making the team as a starter and then gets replaced by another kid who has just transferred in and who might not even be there for an entire season or into a second season, what does that do to the moral of that kid plus the other team members? What does it do to a coach who has a hard enough job dealing with these young kids these days and trying to put together a decent team much less a winning team.? I still think that when Governor Scott signed off on this unlimited transfer idea he had in mind students being allowed to transfer from a poor performing school academically to a good performing school. I just don't think he had in mind allowing kids in sports free rein for unlimited transferring. I fault the FHSAA for not discussing with the Governor the ramifications of unlimited transferring on the sports community. 

As a whole I don't think their is an issue in athletics as a whole or just not reported like "Football", but I think "Football" get majority of the attention when it comes to all the movement. Like I once stated I don't think transferring is a bigger issue than the pay those guys receive for coaching in the state of Florida. I think the demands and expectations coaches have to succeed in the state with low pay on top of the difficulty of building a program with so much movement creates a major issue state wide. But to specifically isolate football with the movements and try to put rules in place that target only football players movements will become a dangerous game the state I don't think want to fight because that will open up so much negative back lash, heck they even trying to get the college sit out rule over turned because of all the movements they have with the coaches moving around at the college level. All the moving starts at home with the parents and honestly good luck at trying to stop that...look at the youth league now you have a kid that may have moved to 4 different parks between the ages of 6-13, but all of sudden you think the parents will stop once the kid reach high school?  

14 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

As a whole I don't think their is an issue in athletics as a whole or just not reported like "Football", but I think "Football" get majority of the attention when it comes to all the movement. Like I once stated I don't think transferring is a bigger issue than the pay those guys receive for coaching in the state of Florida. I think the demands and expectations coaches have to succeed in the state with low pay on top of the difficulty of building a program with so much movement creates a major issue state wide. But to specifically isolate football with the movements and try to put rules in place that target only football players movements will become a dangerous game the state I don't think want to fight because that will open up so much negative back lash, heck they even trying to get the college sit out rule over turned because of all the movements they have with the coaches moving around at the college level. All the moving starts at home with the parents and honestly good luck at trying to stop that...look at the youth league now you have a kid that may have moved to 4 different parks between the ages of 6-13, but all of sudden you think the parents will stop once the kid reach high school?  

..all good points...the "problem" may be no bigger than many other issues.   Totally agree it starts at home and agree "isolating" the problem will be difficult.  People are going to figure out how to manipulate the system, whatever it might be.  

I don't think kids/parents in other sports/activities(except basketball) are being as bold when it comes to sticking it in the face of the public that "I'm gonna git mine."  It's not like the media is going out of its way to dig up dirt on hs football.  Some kids/parents are making a blatant mockery of the system..and being downright cocky about it.  And that is what I am afraid is going to push the politicians to do something drastic...wise decision or not. 

6 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

..all good points...the "problem" may be no bigger than many other issues.   Totally agree it starts at home and agree "isolating" the problem will be difficult.  People are going to figure out how to manipulate the system, whatever it might be.  

I don't think kids/parents in other sports/activities(except basketball) are being as bold when it comes to sticking it in the face of the public that "I'm gonna git mine."  It's not like the media is going out of its way to dig up dirt on hs football.  Some kids/parents are making a blatant mockery of the system..and being downright cocky about it.  And that is what I am afraid is going to push the politicians to do something drastic...wise decision or not. 

When it comes to the boldness of the student athletes at the high school level with announcing their movements I can agree with you there that it does come off as a bit cocky or arrogant when those things take place but I'm pretty sure the motivation comes from the networks that televise these kids making college decision with "Gender reveal" type prompts and etc or parents that are becoming more famous for walking out on their sons because of a college choice and major networks giving it all the attention. It's all "supply and demand" if the public loves and hates what high school football has become but gives it the attention more than a team winning then kids will continue to do so. Kids transferring get more attention than anything else right now in high school football guys always want to know who, why and where a kid is going it's actually becoming a major market for it Lol...with the momentum these travel 7 on 7 teams getting watch how far this thing go from here we are just in the beginning stages

7 hours ago, Mashburns said:

When it comes to the boldness of the student athletes at the high school level with announcing their movements I can agree with you there that it does come off as a bit cocky or arrogant when those things take place but I'm pretty sure the motivation comes from the networks that televise these kids making college decision with "Gender reveal" type prompts and etc or parents that are becoming more famous for walking out on their sons because of a college choice and major networks giving it all the attention. It's all "supply and demand" if the public loves and hates what high school football has become but gives it the attention more than a team winning then kids will continue to do so. Kids transferring get more attention than anything else right now in high school football guys always want to know who, why and where a kid is going it's actually becoming a major market for it Lol...with the momentum these travel 7 on 7 teams getting watch how far this thing go from here we are just in the beginning stages

Again your points are great.  Kids who haven't gotten the attention they need are gonna seek it.  It seems like being a character is more important than having character, and the parents and the media encourage it.  The kids are being seduced.

HS football is becoming less about the game and more about all of the other "stuff" that comes along with it, ie college announcements, promotional videos, etc .  I've seen this same evolution in many sports/activities, and the result is rarely good.  There is always a bigger/better show tomorrow, and the public moves on.  Look at pro wrestling.  The promoters alienated a lot of the original fans turning it into a commercial production.

If this is a problem....Is it safe to say that the fact that this is one of ( if not)  the busiest strings on this website it is part of the problem?   Is it safe to say that when we read post, comment and read about these transfers that we are part of the problem?

Why less interest in 7v7 and Flag Football that is happening right now?  Are there any current strings for the current season 7V7 and Flag Football over the last few weeks and months???

Right now the primary interest in the forum seems to be transfers, coaching changes and scheduling.  Maybe Josh can confirm that.

Are we sort of  watching this wrestling event? Kind of feeding off the promoters? Kind of a feeding the fire philosophy?

My point is we can sit here and talk about what is right and wrong with coaches and players making moves and whether we agree with these moves or not,  at least it gives us something to talk about in March....

2019 RB Lavelton Williams has transferred from Fort Lauderdale High to American Heritage Plantation

2019 WR/S  Cortaz Gethers has transferred from Coconut Creek to St. Thomas Aquinas

2020 WR Josue Ultima has transferred from Miami Edison to Miami Central

2019 OL Marek Malinowski has transferred from Stoneman Douglas to American Heritage Plantation

2 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

2019 RB Lavelton Williams has transferred from Fort Lauderdale High to American Heritage Plantation

2019 WR/S  Cortaz Gethers has transferred from Coconut Creek to St. Thomas Aquinas

2020 WR Josue Ultima has transferred from Miami Edison to Miami Central

2019 OL Marek Malinowski has transferred from Stoneman Douglas to American Heritage Plantation

AHP starting to load up before spring ball lol

On 3/12/2018 at 11:08 PM, BrowardHandicapper said:

Confirmed via WQAM and Larry Blustein that 2020 Champagnat Catholic DE Jesus Machado has transferred to Miami Central:

https://wqam.radio.com/articles/feature-article/post-season-huddle-jesus-machado-miami-central

Good read by Walter Villa and the Miami Herald on Machado landing at Miami Central:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/prep-recruiting/article207273714.html

2 hours ago, badbird said:

He got bench last year for Elijah Stimmell.  Stimmel is also back.  Stimmel went 5-0 as a starter to end the season.  Cyr has a chance to be pretty good and only going to be a junior.

Ah, did not realize he had been benched. That explains it. With DP's starter gone, it's a chance for a new beginning.