Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
OldSchoolLion

5 Teams off to Surprising Starts

Citrus and Freeport continue their run.  Sarasota loses its first game.

8A Miami 4-0 after going 4-6 last season

7A Sarasota 4-1 after going 2-8 last season

6A Lake Gibson 4-0 after going 4-6 last season

5A Citrus 5-0 after going 4-6 last season

1A Freeport 5-0 after going 3-7 last season

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Out of all these records did any of these teams beat a superior ranked team or was it all just slappies? 

They don't have to beat superior teams, they just need wins to start building a program. If you have ever coached a sport where the players/community have no sense of what a winning team looks like or acts or does, it is really hard to create the culture. (Hate that word). Some of the hardest part is just getting teams to win several games (against any opponent, even if your school is over 2500 and you are playing a school with 750). Baby steps. Once you start winning then you start looking for quality wins against quality opponents, but if you dont get some wins in, you can't keep the players, if you can't keep the players, the sport dies. 

It is one of the reasons why I don't understand why people don't push more for a promotion/relegation system. Why would you want some of the bad teams playing some of these elite teams in a district match-up or even in 

On 9/14/2019 at 10:01 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

8A Miami 4-0 after going 4-6 last season

7A Sarasota 4-0 after going 2-8 last season

6A Lake Gibson 4-0 after going 4-6 last season

5A Citrus 4-0 after going 4-6 last season

1A Freeport 4-0 after going 3-7 last season

I would love to see the Braves get back to their winning ways and be the “other” Lakeland school to raise hell.  I don’t know what’s going on with the Red Devils but I know it’s not a shortage of talent.  Time will tell.

The gig is up for previously undefeated 7A St Cloud and 1A Freeport.  Both got pounded.  

6A Lake Gibson moves to 6-0 with close win over Hardee.  Next up is winless Gateway.

6A Pensacola Washington moves to 6-0 with win over Milton.  Next up is Fort Walton Beach.  

5A Citrus moves to 7-0 after crushing Lecanto.  Next up is Hernando.

5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The gig is up for previously undefeated 7A St Cloud and 1A Freeport.  Both got pounded.  

6A Lake Gibson moves to 6-0 with close win over Hardee.  Next up is winless Gateway.

6A Pensacola Washington moves to 6-0 with win over Milton.  Next up is Fort Walton Beach.  

5A Citrus moves to 7-0 after crushing Lecanto.  Next up is Hernando.

Lake Gibson was lucky last night.

12 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Sounds like your classic "stupid play by the defender; unwarranted (but not necessarily incorrect) call by the official."

That's the feeling we had!  From my view point, the ball was uncatchable.  Anyway Lake Gibson was supposed to be a hugh favorite that we didn't stand a chance against and Hardee nearly pulled an upset save for a penalty.  Just like the North Marion game. I'd like to see the stats for this game as much of Lake Gibson's offense is likely attributed to one play in the 2nd quarter.  

11 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

That's the feeling we had!  From my view point, the ball was uncatchable.  Anyway Lake Gibson was supposed to be a hugh favorite that we didn't stand a chance against and Hardee nearly pulled an upset save for a penalty.  Just like the North Marion game. I'd like to see the stats for this game as much of Lake Gibson's offense is likely attributed to one play in the 2nd quarter.  

For what it's worth, it is my understanding that the "ball was uncatchable" is a determination that precludes a pass interference call at the college and pro level, but not at the high school level.  In high school, even if the ball is thrown 50 feet over the receiver's head, if there is contact by the defender when the ball is in the air, it's still considered pass interference. 

Jambun, correct me if I'm wrong. 

On 10/6/2019 at 8:02 AM, Hwy17 said:

Hardee stopped Lake Gibson on 4th down but got called for pass interference and that set up their game winning score. 

9 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Did you think that it was a foul?

@Jambun82 Ik your the resident official here so you probably know the mindset of an official more than I would but personally I would feel if it's a play that would potentially decide who wins/losses the game that most officials would tend to let any judgement call go by unless the penalty altered the result of the play (ik player safety calls are a different story) 

Meaning that if something like holding or PI happened away from the play and had no effect on it then it would be a call the officials would usually ignore which makes sense

Then again different crews will call the same things differently but maybe you can explain what the officials and taught or encouraged to do in those situations

11 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Hwy17, uncatchable is NOT a factor when determining a pass-interference foul in NFHS rules.