Quantcast
Sign in to follow this  
Wavebb

Roll Call for state championships

1 hour ago, Wavebb said:

Who's going?  I'm going to be in Daytona Thursday thru Saturday.  We usually have a group of 6 or 7 from the board who have become great friends and enjoy the games together.  Always fun meeting new posters.

I'll probably go next year if sites stay as they are depending on my schedule at the time

1 hour ago, Wavebb said:

Who's going?  I'm going to be in Daytona Thursday thru Saturday.  We usually have a group of 6 or 7 from the board who have become great friends and enjoy the games together.  Always fun meeting new posters.

I will be there for the Thursday through Saturday games. If the Bolles/BTW game was on Thursday or Friday I would watch that as well, but four back and forths to Daytona over four days is a bit much for an old man. 

23 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I will be there for the Thursday through Saturday games. If the Bolles/BTW game was on Thursday or Friday I would watch that as well, but four back and forths to Daytona over four days is a bit much for an old man. 

We have 3 rooms at the Hilton DarterBlue2 if u need a place to crash.  

31 minutes ago, Wavebb said:

We have 3 rooms at the Hilton DarterBlue2 if u need a place to crash.  

If the games were in Sarasota or farther I would. But for Daytona, which is about an hour from home, I would have a lot of explaining to do to the wife

22 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If the games were in Sarasota or farther I would. But for Daytona, which is about an hour from home, I would have a lot of explaining to do to the wife

Safety first, says DarterBlue.  After a long day, He'd rather face the hazards of driving in Florida versus the wrath of the wife.  I understand completely.  Safety First!!!

56 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Badbird, will you be attending the game on Friday December 13th?  

I will not.  I have responsibilities I can not get out of.  I would much rather come curse at you.  I apologize for not being able to make it.  I know you want to kick my ass.  Maybe next year.  

21 hours ago, badbird said:

I will not.  I have responsibilities I can not get out of.  I would much rather come curse at you.  I apologize for not being able to make it.  I know you want to kick my ass.  Maybe next year.  

No, but I would love to find out which school/schools that you coached at. lol

7 hours ago, peezy28 said:

I can tell you for a price LOL. 

so can half the people on here and half of those that just read the board but don't post.  Don't sell me out Peezy.  I haven't got a flag thrown on me in 15 years.  I bring refs Gatorade and water at half.  I make sure they feel welcomed but since I backed coaches that got suspended for 5 weeks for cursing he assumes I hate officials and treat them like crap.  

7 hours ago, peezy28 said:

I can tell you for a price LOL. 

Badbird may be a pain in ass sometimes but he does deserve privacy

Of all the people I've argued with on these boards there is only one person deserving of being exposed and you know exactly which jerk I'm referring to 

He is a STA homer that can't keep his mouth shut LMAO

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Fort Walton Beach finally posted their position vacancy yesterday... with a close date of today. Guess they have their guy.
    • Proseteye, I was around when OTC was playing those teams, these new OTC teams are not on that level. Don't get me wrong they are good, but they just aren't the same.  In 2005, OTC struggled with Union County (twice) (Union was good then with CJ Spiller) and Pahokee on their way to a 14-0 season. In 2006, OTC goes 13-1 with a loss in the state championship to Pahokee. In 2007, Coach Bell is gone, schedule is upgraded, and OTC struggles to 7-5 including two losses to Newberry and a loss to Union County.  In 2008, OTC goes 12-2 with a loss against Mainland and Pahokee (again). In 2009, OTC goes 9-3 with loses against Bolles, Tampa Catholic, and Gainesville. in 2010, OTC goes 14-0 beats some impressive teams along the way including a Derrick Henry led Yulee team, Bolles, and University School (when University School was doing it's thing). in 2011, OTC goes 7-5 including losing to some local schools (Vanguard, North Marion, Gainesville).  In 2012, OTC goes 8-5. In 2013, OTC  goes 8-4. In 2014, OTC goes  10-2 against a fairly easy schedule to lose to the developing juggernaut of Trinity Christian. In 2015, OTC goes 4-8 (including a loss to Lake Weir) In 2016, OTC goes 4-5. In 2017, OTC goes 5-3 (misses playoffs). In 2018, OTC goes 5-5 (misses playoffs). In 2019, OTC goes 8-4 with an impressive home playoff win against Trinity Christian (Jax). So why go through the last few years, OTC's successes are a long time ago of when they were a dominant beast.  Vanguard: 2004: 2-7 2005: 5-5 2006: 5-5 2007: 2-8 2008: 0-10 2009: 6-6 2010: 10-3 2011: 7-4 2012: 6-6 2013: 5-5 2014: 4-6 2015: 9-3 2016: 10-2 2017: 11-1 2018: 13-1 2019: 9-3 I think partially what has happened is that Vanguard has stabilized it's football program. Notice the worse years of Vanguard coincide with the best years of OTC. There was a reason that OTC was called the Marion County All-Stars for a while. As long as Vanguard continues to have a solid program, OTC won't get the 1 or 2 additional star players they need to make them a state finalist. They will continue to be good, but not able to overcome some of the recruiting powerhouses. Additionally, if you go back to the years of 2B, it was made up of a lot of the larger 1A schools today. You weren't playing Trinity Christian, Pensacola Catholic, Florida High, Chaminade-Madonna to win the state, the competition was easier. It is telling that since they did away with 2B that Trinity has struggled with consistency.
    • Maybe you were not around when the Celtics were able to take on anybody and either defeat them or compete with them. Teams like TCA, Bolles, Jesuit, Gainesville, Vanguard, Pahokee, IMG, East Lake, Palmetto, Madison, University, Booker, and Mainland. All good teams and most of them in higher classifications. So, going up against Chaminade would not be something that is uncharacteristic of the Celtics. I'm really disappointed in Coach Thomas's decision to leave Trinity just when the team was getting ready to make some real noise. He already had the players at Trinity.
    • If you look at Marion County, they have a different situation where all team sports are paid the same as football coaches (except soccer and volleyball). The number has been $5,000 since 2007 and I willing to bet the reason why the basketball coach and the football coach are equal has to do with the work the Vanguard Basketball Coach Haley did in creating a program and pushing for higher pay. 
    • Local Control and Local Decisions (both in Georgia and Florida). It is a hard sell to both school boards and unions to pay a teacher less than 40K and then turn around a pay a football coach 65K for being a "coach," especially when principals and schools are graded not on how good a football program is, but whether the school is an A, B, C, D, or F. Florida as a whole does not support extracurriculars because the people living in the communities haven't been there long. We are a transient state. All the counties that we listed as top pay (Okaloose, Bay, Walton) are panhandle counties. Counties where people have lived in them forever. Where grandma's grandma lived. As a whole, I wonder what percentage of coaches take leadership roles in their local union and push for higher supplements (even if it was incremental of $100 a year). A lot of the unions seem to be led by elementary school teachers who have little experience with the value/importance of coaches.  As for gate... Let's think costs first... 1) Referees: $65 x 5 = $325 per game plus travel stipends 2) Security: $20 x 3 hours x 5 officers = $300 per game 3) Ticket Takers: $25 per game per individual (maybe 6 people): $150 per game 4) Line the Field: $100-200 in supplies per game _____________________________________  $875 per game (and this is a VERY conservative number).  Start adding in: New Jerseys/Pants (once every 2 years) ($140 for a set?) x 80 players Helmets Refurbished every year and replaced every XX years. Practice Gear Balls Pre-Game Meals HUDL Account Coach Polos/Outfits Practice Equipment (tackling dummies, blocking sledds, chutes).  I wish school districts would understand that if you want these boys and girls to representatives of your community than you should pay for them to be just that. Basic equipment and costs should be covered by the school districts. Teams should have to fund raise just in hopes having enough money to travel to a game or hire referees or get jerseys. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Popular Contributors